Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What happens in Downtown Pensacola really doesnt matter

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Face it. Not many of use live inside the boundaries of the city of Pensacola. O f those that do , relative few live south of Cervantes st. Many of Pensacola s successful people live off Scenic Hiway or in gated communities near the air port or Bayou Texar. The city of Pensacola is a big place. But it is only contains 1/6th of Escambia county's population, 49,000 out of Escambias 300,000.
Escambia country is 875 square miles. In contrast, I quote "The Urban Core Community Redevelopment Area is a 256-block, 1,308-acre area that encompasses all of the city south of Cervantes Street, bounded to the west by A Street and to the east by 17th Avenue. These boundaries are similar (but not identical) to those of the Downtown Improvement Board's taxation district. It accounts for about 8.6% of the City's total land area
Remember the downtown CRA is is only 1,380 acres out of 875 square MILES. Yet this is where 90% of the PNJ and peoples attention are focused.
I can assure you that there are many people in the north and west side of Escambia co that have not been down town in over 5 years and have no plan to do so. Downtown in many ways is irrelevant to Escambia Co, Just a area where the players try to one up each other over some minuscule piece of property. For the last 20 years there has always been the "Big Dream" a project that unifies the entire city/county complex.
To many of us downtown is just a burden on the ass of progress. It is fun to watch the Studers and Roosterburgs and other notables spin and prance but they are just bit players on a small stage,
If Stooderville is a success or not, if Gee-zus comes back and buy a condo downtown, the surf is still up on the Key and the river still running clear and 1,000s of folks in Escambia co will not even notice.
Downtown is just a show place and boxing match for a few elite people.
Enjoy the show, just dont take it seriously.

Down town does not a lock on the beauty of the area. You dont have to go to the Park to enjoy the water.
[img]  What happens in Downtown Pensacola really doesnt matter 2mob04p[/img]

Bluebonnet

I am among those who will make the miserable drive down Gulf Beach Hwy to get to the core businesses and amenities. Plaza de Luna, cycling the old town, the square., the architecture, events like Gallery Nights.... Polenza, Global, Hub Stacey's, Dharma Blue, Sluggos, the art gallery...Ever'mans...the flavor of Old Pensacola are infinitely better draws than the boring chains of the NE. For singles or couples without kids, the old core is a fantastic place to live and recreate. It has a flavor and history all its own that is worth saving.

It does matter, HG.

2seaoat

It does matter, HG.

It most certainly does......that which is taken for granted is often not deserved or appreciated.....Pensacola is a very special place, and as more of America finds out about the same.....it will prosper.......and Maritime Park will be an important part of that discovery.

The demographics of downtown Pensacola shows that it can not even support a National Grocery store.

2seaoat

An olive oil store does not count?

2seaoat wrote:An olive oil store does not count?

Ever'man is adding on. Don't that count?

What happens in Downtown Pensacola really doesnt matter Logo-t10

Hardly a national chain Grocery store. But it is a start. They maybe able to score a Tom thumb soon.

hallmarkgrad wrote:Hardly a national chain Grocery store. But it is a start. They maybe able to score a Tom thumb soon.

Well, we have a McDonalds and a few traffic lights...

I dont think the McDooglers on 9th is in the "Core" area. Too far from the water to be successful. Like the Y the SOB has to be 1/2 in the water for it to work

Bluebonnet

E'mans is expanding but even as a vegetarian I find it to be expensive and limited. I was at a Treasure Island Publix this last week and it was probably half the size of a reg. Publix, still had a great variety and served what appeared to be a small population...so i guess there is always hope...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum