Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wrong pizza

+5
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
RealLindaL
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Wrong pizza Empty Wrong pizza 4/23/2016, 10:18 pm

2seaoat

After three months in pizza wasteland.....we finally got to order our pizza from an Italian family who has been making pizza in this community since WWII. The last remaining member of the original crew is an eighty something woman who paints the crust with their sauce and adds their special order cheese which comes from a small cheese factory about 12 miles from their pizza place. The pizza is as good as anything in Chicago, but it is found in the middle of nowhere in Northwest Illinois. So, I order a large pizza with extra cheese, mushrooms, and sausage......it is 15 bucks and I always leave a twenty on a pick up because they just pour that extra cheese on when we order and light up when I come in...well they had a new girl, and she hands me a pizza.....the first thing I noticed was it was a little heavier than our normal pizza, but I just figured they poured more of that incredible cheese on it, but when I get in the car, I am smelling some incredible smells.......I get about six miles away and the wife calls.....they gave me the wrong pizza.....I wanted to say F it, but then I thought another customer was waiting and would have to wait a half hour if they made another one.....so I turn around and give them the other pizza, and get our usual weekend pizza. It was simply great, and sadly, next week I have to return to pizza wasteland.....there is civilization and there is barbarism......and pizza originating in Rome is the only way to keep the barbarians from killing civilization......I have had three horrible pizzas in pizza wasteland.....and i give up.

2Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 2:07 am

RealLindaL

You saying NW FL is "pizza wasteland"? And you're returning next week and are sad about it? Too bad for us if so.

3Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 9:27 am

2seaoat

Pizza wasteland is the first sign of an absence of civilization. It is a tragedy. Children are wasting their precious youth on cardboard and ketchup velvetta pizza.......oh the humanity. I even tried something called NY pizza in Navarre......it is about as NY as Pace.....agonizing sacrifice to go months without civilization.

4Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 10:00 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Pizza wasteland is the first sign of an absence of civilization.  It is a tragedy.  Children are wasting their precious youth on cardboard and ketchup velvetta pizza.......oh the humanity.  I even tried something called NY pizza in Navarre......it is about as NY as Pace.....agonizing sacrifice to go months without civilization.
We love Georgio's Pizza. Our favorite is the house specialty...

https://www.google.com/search?q=giorgio+pizza&oq=giorgio+pi&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.14559j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=kp:xpd

5Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 10:17 am

2seaoat

I have a friend in my poker group who works for a major frozen pizza company in Chicago. Well....it was my turn to host, and my wife had gotten some Wisconsin frozen pizzas which we liked a particular thin crust pizza with a very unique flavor, and it was very light.....well this guy sees the pizza and goes ballistic and tosses it in the garbage.....my wife bites her tongue, I just laugh because I already had my fill, but the poker players go after him like a buzz saw.....apparently the small wisconsin pizza company had screwed him out of a big commission and lied to him, and then he goes to his car where he normally has a cooler in the trunk with pizzas......well he F'd up....he had no pizzas so he gave my wife a handful of free pizza coupons, and all the players.....and one of the guys goes......dumbchit.......you expect me to eat this coupon......it was a classic.....in Chicago....folks take pizza seriously, and fortunately they have so many choices.....I have spent time in other pizza wastelands where they think Papa John's is Pizza.....fortunately frozen pizza can somewhat help, but in the end it is the absence of civilization.....

6Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 10:33 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Try Sky's Pizza on Davis Highway. My wife was raised in New York, and she swears that Sky's comes close to real New York pizza. We get take out from there frequently. They offer daily specials and their pizzas are huge. They also offer more than just pizza

Sky's Pizza:
http://www.skyspizzapie.com/

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

7Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 10:42 am

Sal

Sal

Does the panhandle not enjoy the large populations of transplants from NY and Chicago that much of the rest of the state enjoys?

In our neighborhood we have two very serviceable pizza joints that offer authentic NY style pizza.

The best in town is probably Cappy's who serves exceptional pies in both NY and Chicago styles.

8Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 11:50 am

2seaoat

South Florida has great pizza. It also is civilized. It has great restaurants, and humans walk upright........the pizza in the panhandle is a joke. I think I have an answer for the folks over at the chamber of commerce.....if you want to attract business and people......get civilized. Recruit some real pizza makers and some authentic pizza......no wonder the jails are full in the panhandle.....there are a lot of angry people.....unsatisfied and looking for trouble. No wonder the drug problem has exploded. Pizza wasteland is a horrible human condition.

9Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 2:35 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Hey, a great hidden little pizza joint in SR county is at the Local Yokel convenience store at the corner of Ward Basin Road and US 90. They serve single-serving pepperoni pizzas (6" wide) that are to die for. I used to do environmental sampling at Formweld Fittings at the industrial park northeast of there, and I would stop at the Local Yokel place for lunch on my way back to Pensacola. The lunch made the trip to Formweld a worthwhile trip, even though the owner would whine about having to pay my employer's bills every time he saw me. We were doing a good job keeping the folks at FDEP off his back for the discharge he was sending to the Milton city sewers from his factory.

Wrong pizza 30_62411

10Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 2:40 pm

RealLindaL

I'd bet my sweet bippy that sea has never had the pizza from the New Yorker Deli and Pizzeria on East Cervantes in Pensacola:

http://www.newyorkerdeliandpizzeria.com/

(As an aside, they really do make the best Reuben sandwich this side of Manhattan, and also have a delicious piled high turkey Reuben version for slightly more health conscious folks like us.)

Navarre is the sticks -- the boonies -- so I'm not surprised there's nothing special there.

As for Georgio's (right across the street from the New Yorker), each to her own, Joani, but to hubby and me their pizza is nothing but very thick bread with a few things spread around on top, and for a premium price at that.   I could be wrong but I think sea would hate it.

11Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 3:51 pm

We used to go to a great hole in the wall bar with great pizza on Davis Highway near the interchange of 9 Mile Road - back in the day when hubby was at UWF. It's still there but can't say anything about the pizza today. Geno's.

Georgios - good pizza

Ozone - good pizza and fun atmosphere (old morgue of SHH)

12Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 4:15 pm

2seaoat

Z, I will try a six inch pizza.  I do not care for Pepperoni on a pizza which always created a problem when the kids were young because my daughter loves the same.....so we had to do half and half.  The gas station and the one across the street is where I often buy diesel for the bobcat, so a lunch pizza will work....sorry but I expect the worse.

Linda, I though NY was moving from cervantes, and when I was down there for a Bull's game this winter, I thought they lost their lease.  In any regard, I will make the trip.  I will get a rueben, and I will order a pizza.  I expect the worse, but unlike Z' recommendation which is closer to a project I am working, the downtown trip will require some decent pizza.   I will probably end up in Escambia jail if it is another panhandle pizza fail joining all the other pizza deprived folks in jail, and I will go all Surf on you if you have this wrong.....sorry, but I have gotten three pretty bad pizza recommendations over the years, and I am hoping you are right on their pizza.  Nothing better now than a great pizza and non alcohol beer.....got the same flavors, but no kick for the liver.

13Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 5:48 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:Z, I will try a six inch pizza.  I do not care for Pepperoni on a pizza which always created a problem when the kids were young because my daughter loves the same.....so we had to do half and half.  The gas station and the one across the street is where I often buy diesel for the bobcat, so a lunch pizza will work....sorry but I expect the worse.

You can also get cheese and sausage pizza. Not a wide array of offerings, but the cheese was so stringy and good. I haven't been there since about 2000, but it was good back then.

I read online that the store became a Circle K over a year ago, so no telling what they sell now.

14Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 6:05 pm

2seaoat

I know my wife was telling me that the shell station across the street has an incredible number of people who stop for lunch where they are supposed to have great chicken.....I simply have never been that hungry to try chicken at a gas station, but she said every time she would get fuel for me people were lined up getting food. My wife and I both got sick from two gyros ordered from Milton Arby location, and it used to be one place we figured they could not screw up, but they were about to begin an exterior renovation and I think we got some bad old lettuce on the gyros.....we were sick for a couple of days.......so I will try the recommendations, but I have yet to find an oasis in pizza wasteland.

15Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 9:14 pm

RealLindaL

This is starting to bug me because it happens too many times lately.  I wrote a long post before supper, answering sea about New Yorker, am sure I hit send, and thought for sure it was posted, but now it's gone.  FRUSTRATING.

Will try to recreate though I really don't have the time:

Sea, you can try to pull a Surf on me but I won't stand for it.  Ha. In any case I hope you won't need to  because you'll hopefully enjoy the pizza at New Yorker.  In truth, though, it's such a subjective thing.  (And I might add that if you go into something expecting the worst, the chances are probably higher that you'll get just what you expected.)
It's a thin crust (New York) pizza but not so thin that it's like eating crackers.   If you want crispy thin like that, ask and maybe they offer a super thin.  The few times in a year we allow ourselves pizza we like their cheese so much (very tasty, very stringy) that we order extra cheese.  
I do want to hear how you liked the Reuben (corned beef, pastrami, or turkey).   You'll note on the menu it comes with chips and a pickle, but for a slight upcharge we often go for a cup of soup or one of their pasta salads (I recommend the Athenian) in lieu of chips.  
Been a few weeks since we've been there (go more often in winter, especially for the homemade soups), but have not heard word one about New Yorker moving or losing a lease -- have always thought they owned the building.  Will try to remember to check Monday (closed Sunday) and advise.

16Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 9:43 pm

2seaoat

I have been having the same problem with losing long posts. I went into windows ten device on the new dell laptop and adjusted the sensitivity of the keyboard. It was to sensitive when I got it, but it became dead and I thought it posted things only to find nothing was there. It sounds like it may be a forum problem in addition to my new laptop sensitivity.

17Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/24/2016, 11:31 pm

Lisa12

Try Founaris Brothers on 29 just outside of car city.

18Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/25/2016, 12:20 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I'm not a fan of Georgio's. I don't like lamb, for one thing, and I find the pizza too fatty. One of my daughters worked at the New Yorker and I have to say their pizza is better than the norm. Founaris Brothers once had a location on 9th Ave., and their food was outstanding.

19Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/25/2016, 12:28 am

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:I know my wife was telling me that the shell station across the street has an incredible number of people who stop for lunch where they are supposed to have great chicken.....I simply have never been that hungry to try chicken at a gas station, but she said every time she would get fuel for me people were lined up getting food.  My wife and I both got sick from two gyros ordered from Milton Arby location, and it used to be one place we figured they could not screw up, but they were about to begin an exterior renovation and I think we got some bad old lettuce on the gyros.....we were sick for a couple of days.......so I will try the recommendations, but I have yet to find an oasis in pizza wasteland.

It was probably the gyro sauce. For some reason restaurants leave out all day dressings and sauces that need to be refrigerated. I got sick from a sub at Subway because I order ranch on it. If you notice at Subway's that they leave the ranch dressing out on the counter w/ the vinegar and oil.

20Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/25/2016, 12:30 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Try Sky's Pizza on Davis Highway. My wife was raised in New York, and she swears that Sky's comes close to real New York pizza. We get take out from there frequently. They offer daily specials and their pizzas are huge. They also offer more than just pizza

Sky's Pizza:
http://www.skyspizzapie.com/

I was going to recommend Sky's pizza as well.

That and of course Ozone.

21Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/25/2016, 12:41 pm

Sal

Sal

Vikingwoman wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I know my wife was telling me that the shell station across the street has an incredible number of people who stop for lunch where they are supposed to have great chicken.....I simply have never been that hungry to try chicken at a gas station, but she said every time she would get fuel for me people were lined up getting food.  My wife and I both got sick from two gyros ordered from Milton Arby location, and it used to be one place we figured they could not screw up, but they were about to begin an exterior renovation and I think we got some bad old lettuce on the gyros.....we were sick for a couple of days.......so I will try the recommendations, but I have yet to find an oasis in pizza wasteland.

It was probably the gyro sauce. For some reason restaurants leave out all day dressings and sauces that need to be refrigerated. I got sick from a sub at Subway because I order ranch on it. If you notice at Subway's that they leave the ranch dressing out on the counter w/ the vinegar and oil.

I would doubt that it was the ranch dressing that made you sick.

Most commercially made condiments and dressings are so chalk full of preservatives that they actually don't require refrigeration at all.

The "refrigerate after opening" direction is for consistency and quality, but not necessarily safety.

Unrefrigerated, a lot of that stuff will become unpalatable and gross but not unsafe for consumption.

I read that you could leave commercially produced mayonnaise unsealed and at room temperature for years before it would actually become contaminated.

22Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/26/2016, 12:30 am

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:Linda, I though NY was moving from cervantes, and when I was down there for a Bull's game this winter, I thought they lost their lease.

OK, per my telcon with their management today, here's the straight scoop on the New Yorker Deli, and I do remember this from last winter now, though I was thrown off by the "lost their lease" phrase.  

First of all, it's true they don't own their building (I'd always thought they did; must've just assumed).   And, while they didn't lose their lease, it did come up for renewal last year.   So when the Cazadores Mexican restaurant (right next door) closed its doors, they seriously considered buying that building and moving into it.  That's what you were likely hearing, sea, and I heard it then, too.  But in the end they determined it was not the right building for them (for whatever reasons; I didn't ask), and they went ahead and renewed their lease (don't know for how long; again, I didn't ask).  

I was assured that if they ever did move it would likely be within the same general vicinity, and even then only if they could buy a building rather than lease.  Interestingly, they haven't ruled out the possibility of opening a second location, though, again, only if it were possible to own, not rent. Well, when I heard that I excitedly said, "Gulf Breeze!!  Gulf Breeze!!" and he laughed.   I assured him that people would come from Navarre and beyond to eat at a Gulf Breeze New Yorker, and he replied that they already do come from that far and then some, to the Cervantes location.

And now we know that's true. Smile

23Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/26/2016, 9:43 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

I love NY Deli but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't sort out their parking situation. I can't tell you how many times I went to NY deli and left because there simply isn't any parking.

24Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/26/2016, 11:55 am

RealLindaL

boards of FL wrote:I love NY Deli but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't sort out their parking situation.  I can't tell you how many times I went to NY deli and left because there simply isn't any parking.  

I suppose that could be one of the reasons they looked to move -- but then, parking at Cazadores wasn't much better.   Boards, you do know that after a certain time of day you can park in the dental office lot directly across the street from NY's lot, right?  Of all the many times we've patronized the restaurant, I can recall maybe one time (if that) when we simply could not squeeze in anywhere at all.

I don't remember what the timing limitation is on the dental office parking -- there's a sign posted about it at the New Yorker's entrance -- but it's very liberal and there's definitely no restriction against parking there during late afternoon/evening hours (which is when we usually arrive there).

25Wrong pizza Empty Re: Wrong pizza 4/26/2016, 2:07 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

RealLindaL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:I love NY Deli but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't sort out their parking situation.  I can't tell you how many times I went to NY deli and left because there simply isn't any parking.  

I suppose that could be one of the reasons they looked to move -- but then, parking at Cazadores wasn't much better.   Boards, you do know that after a certain time of day you can park in the dental office lot directly across the street from NY's lot, right?  Of all the many times we've patronized the restaurant, I can recall maybe one time (if that) when we simply could not squeeze in anywhere at all.

I don't remember what the timing limitation is on the dental office parking -- there's a sign posted about it at the New Yorker's entrance -- but it's very liberal and there's definitely no restriction against parking there during late afternoon/evening hours (which is when we usually arrive there).

Never noticed the sign. I'm incredibly paranoid when it comes to parking in tow away areas.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum