Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why is nobody here weighing in on the biggest thing in tv news?

+3
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

2seaoat

If my daughter was ignoring the teacher and looking at her phone, I would have been furious with her. I would expect the school to discipline her. I would not expect my child to be arrested in school for ignoring a teacher's instructions. I certainly would be extremely unhappy if I saw that video and my daughter being thrown across a classroom for simply ignoring her teacher. Police should not be commonplace in American schools. It literally is a cop out by the administrations across America who want to hit the easy button. Teaching and education is hard work. This idea of flushing children down the drain with zero tolerance and police in schools is a dangerous trend which must stop.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:If my daughter was ignoring the teacher and looking at her phone, I would have been furious with her.   I would expect the school to discipline her.  I would not expect my child to be arrested in school for ignoring a teacher's instructions.  I certainly would be extremely unhappy if I saw that video and my daughter being thrown across a classroom for simply ignoring her teacher.  Police should not be commonplace in American schools.   It literally is a cop out by the administrations across America who want to hit the easy button.  Teaching and education is hard work.   This idea of flushing children down the drain with zero tolerance and police in schools is a dangerous trend which must stop.

Seaoat you know your daughter would not have behaved that way.

Tough situation...she ignored the teacher's instructions, the administrator was called and she ignored him ....and then the resource officer.  Of course she also hit the officer.

knothead

knothead

Salinsky wrote:
2seaoat wrote:She was disrespectful to a teacher and her classmates because she found her phone more important than the book they were supposed to be reading.  

The crazy thing is that the only reason that this bad cop and his victim will see justice is because other students had their cell phones.

My question is why cell phones are not required to be turned OFF during school hours or at a minimum turned OFF during classroom settings.

2seaoat

My question is why cell phones are not required to be turned OFF during school hours or at a minimum turned OFF during classroom settings.

The school should have a rule that all cell phones are off in the classroom.  If a student breaks that rule, they lose cell phone privileges for a week the first offense, a month the second, and no cell phone on the third.  This is a matter of poor administration and policies.  I am sad this officer was even called into this classroom.   A complete abdication of duty by schools.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:My question is why cell phones are not required to be turned OFF during school hours or at a minimum turned OFF during classroom settings.

The school should have a rule that all cell phones are off in the classroom.  If a student breaks that rule, they lose cell phone privileges for a week the first offense, a month the second, and no cell phone on the third.  This is a matter of poor administration and policies.  I am sad this officer was even called into this classroom.   A complete abdication of duty by schools.

I can speak to this from personal experience, and I will tell you that schools choose not to wage a fight against technology because it is a futile battle.

All of the kids have cell phones, many teachers use them as instructional tools, and administrators, teachers, coaches, and parents, all use them as a means of communicating with students during the school day.

Phones must be silenced during school hours, and of course, their use is prohibited during testing.

That other students had their phones out to record the altercation attests to the fact that this had nothing to do with the phone and everything to do with the student's insolence and/or belligerence, and the adult's inability to effectively handle it.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

This is the PERFECT illustration of what modern school is. It's a prison like confinement where any resistance to rules, orders , or discipline is met with the same overwhelming force meted out in a prison.
Black children are constantly given conflicting admonition, on one hand listen to the man and do what you are told, the other is don't take no chit from the man..stand up and make Rosa Parks proud.
Cops on the other hand think they are above the law and can get away with murder and most often do....what kind of system allows that wretched attitude anywhere near our children ?

It's the chaos effect.

And it's everywhere.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:This is the PERFECT illustration of what modern school is. It's a prison like confinement where any resistance to rules, orders , or discipline is met with the same overwhelming force meted out in a prison.
Black children are constantly given conflicting admonition, on one hand listen to the man and do what you are told, the other is don't take no chit from the man..stand up and make Rosa Parks proud.
Cops on the other hand think they are above the law and can get away with murder and most often do....what kind of system allows that wretched attitude anywhere near our children ?

Dude, take downs happen on kids other than those who are a minority.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Obamasucks wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:This is the PERFECT illustration of what modern school is. It's a prison like confinement where any resistance to rules, orders , or discipline is met with the same overwhelming force meted out in a prison.

Dude, take downs happen on kids other than those who are a minority.

Dude, "take downs" are inappropriate for many reasons in a public school. Kids are sent to school not prison, they are innocent of any crime and as such not subject to assault and battery for being obstinate or acting out
They are not imprisoned and no matter what the rules of the school they have the same rights as any free citizen. The cop should not only lose his job but I hope he gets a civil suit that leaves him homeless on the street subject being beat or shot to death by his old comrades...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:We had four assistant deans that whipped ass at Pensacola HS.   Teachers held command of the classroom but when the trouble happened it was straight to the dean's office. And, of course, it was double trouble at home because parents took the side of teachers.

But police in the schools?  The ultimate in breakdown of authority between child/parent/teacher.  

They recently placed four policemen at NWFSC.  It is  a very small campus. I see no reason for the placement.

We are a police state.

Let freedom ring...

PHS Class of 67 (actually 67 1/2 because I had to go to summer school to graduate).

My nemesis.  Coach Ward,  school disciplinarian.  Had me in detention half the school year.  When I went to the office it was like Ferris Buehler showed up.  Except I didn't live the good life like Buehler.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Except back then you didn't sass the teacher.  Because you'd have to face Coach Ward.  And that actually was scarier to me than later on when I faced the jailers at the Broward County Jail.  And that's not an exaggeration.
So I never sassed the teacher ever.   Blew up the toilet with a cherry bomb.  Smoked behind the building.  Skipped school to go to the Union Pool Room.
But never sassed the teacher.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The cop has been fired...as he should be. Nothing justifies his brutal attack on that girl...nothing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum