Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NIMBY whine

+4
Floridatexan
Sal
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1NIMBY whine Empty NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 9:41 am

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/article/20140314/NEWS01/303140027/Citizens-voice-displeasure-over-North-Hill-DOJ-office

These folks need to get a life.

2NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 9:53 am

No they don't.... Want a parole office in your neighborhood? And it's zoned against it already....

3NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 9:54 am

There ought to be a zillion blighted areas in Pcola where this can go.... Not in the middle of a neighborhood.

4NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 10:15 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Too many of the criminals in the county, that should be in jail, get probation. Charges are reduced and repeat offenders get a slap on the wrist. It is a money maker for the county...

I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with the increased worrry because of the influx of sex offenders and convicted criminals wandering through your grandchildrens neighborhood, while checking in and hanging out at the county facility.

5NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 10:27 am

North Hill was once the epicenter of Pensacola.  People who built on high ground before it was fashionable to build in a flood plain.  The area was home to the New Medical center, PK young School, A&P Grocery store and many other nice places.  Go to Google maps and check out the houses in the area.  Many were built by the Doctors, lawyers and other successful people who made Pensacola a great place to live.  To this day the area still has class and due to  strict Preservation  guidelines it has stayed above the curve for being a good place to live.  But due to the influx of those who do not care or choose not to understand the history of Pensacola it is now under duress.

North Hill sits on a ridge of high land overlooking historic downtown Pensacola. Its history is rich, from battlefield to preservation district, and all points in between.

In the late 19th century the city of Pensacola was flourishing due to a booming lumber industry. High-end well-built homes soon took hold on the hill, conveniently located to downtown.

Today, North Hill remains a desired neighborhood of sturdy, architecturally detailed homes, which exudes the history and pride of its great working port. Stately old homes line the streets which feel of another time with preserved architecture and loyal community. Some original families still own these cherished homes, while others invite new owners who have restored them to their original splendor.

NIMBY whine North-Hill_-204-Brainard-Street_01

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 3/14/2014, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

6NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 10:34 am

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:Too many of the criminals in the county, that should be in jail, get probation. 

Are you fucking crazy??

The prison population in this country has exploded by like 800% over the last three decades, while the rate of violent crimes has steadily declined. 

This is a massive industry. 

We are incarceration nation. 

7NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:05 am

http://www.jeannettespencer.net/northhill

North Hill is an older neighborhood in Pensacola, Florida with unique architecture. North Hill is one of the largest residential historic districts in the State of Florida and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It contains more than 400 historic homes built between 1870 and the 1930’s. A stroll through our tree lined streets reveals a literal outdoor museum of architectural treasures from Queen Anne, Neoclassical, Tudor Revival, Craftsman Bungalow, and Mediterranean Revival to Art Moderne. It is protected by zoning regulations and governed by the City of Pensacola Architectural Review Board to ensure the preservation of its distinctive architectural character and compatibility of future development.

The North Hill District enjoys a strong sense of community pride, not only in preserving our historic homes, but in preserving a quality of life enjoyed for well over 130 years. North Hill is a place where families of all types are made welcome and where neighbors get to know their neighbors.

North Hill sits on a "Hill" NORTH of downtown Pensacola. The homes are located on a ridge of high land overlooking historic downtown Pensacola. Its history is rich, from battlefield to preservation district, and all points in between.

North Hill Pensacola homes are unique. Pensacola's historic North Hill is located near downtown and East Hill. Historic North Hill Pensacola, has many diverse architectural styles.

At the start of the 20th century, another group of Chicago architects was at the forefront in the devlopment of a distinctive midwestern residential mode know as the Prairie Style. The acknowledged leader and spokesman of the movement and the architect who produced the most noteworthy examples was Frank Lloyd Wright. The architect of the style consciously rejected currently popular academic revival styles and sought to create buildings that reflect the rolling midwestern prairie terrain on which they were to be built. As a restult, the Prairie house had a horizontal appearnace with a broad hipped or gabled roof and widely overhanging eaves. Often the roof was penetrated by a large, plain rectanglular chimney. Windows were usually casements arranged in horizontal ribbons. One story porches or porte cocheres, wall and terrances often extended from the main structure of the house and further emphasized its horizontal appearance. Achitects working in this style represent a major achievement, one of international importance, in American architectural development (Source: . "What Style is it? - A Guide to America National Trust For Historic Preservationn Architecture." ISBN 0-471-14434-7).

8NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:09 am

Well the spot is on Palafox and not IN the residential area. Seems to me they could use some other county property for this. Hate to see the old Coca Cola building used this way. Fond memories of those Coca Cola bottles going around on the conveyor belt. They could be seen in the front window.

And since these are parolees, no crime on their minds? Trying to get back into the mainstream of life? That's the rose colored glasses so I do know that's not always the case and the crime rate/jail overpopulation is astounding. Probably quite a few hardened criminal minds on parole.

We spend so much time and money on criminals while law abiding citizens go without. Upside down world for sure.

9NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:23 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sorry, Seaoat, but this isn't NIMBY...I don't know who this person (Nathan Head) is, but I'm with the North Hill residents on this one...and I don't give a damn how much money he's invested in the old bottling plant...shouldn't have started without approval from the citizens. I smell a rat.

10NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:23 am

I used to do Business with Sunbelt Ind, who moved into the old Coca Cola plant. They said they tried to find some one to take all the old bottling equipment and such but they had no luck so they scrapped almost all of it.
Yep  A Cola Cola plant tour was a must do for every elementary school.

Triva...  There are no flat spots, window sills, ledges to sit anything on in the building.  They are all sloped or very small as not to hold a Coke Bottle.
The sandstone Cola Cola reliefs build into the building were reported to be valved at over 50,000 dollars but removing them was the issue.

NIMBY whine Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqFq9s13DKuTY6P7HXfXHPUkU0btd1iAxX_hG2z6it4aoVRWB0QA

11NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:29 am

Nostalgic or whatever you want to call it...hate to see this building not used as something that adds to the area. Where's Mr. Studer?

12NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:35 am

SheWrites wrote:Nostalgic or whatever you want to call it...hate to see this building not used as something that adds to the area. Where's Mr. Studer?
LOL   Might be a good project for the Studer Institute.  WWSD?

13NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:39 am

2seaoat

Sorry, but the zoning was correct, and utilizing a building will make sure that the building is maintained and it is a gem. I think the guy had it right....a lynch mob.

14NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:39 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Too many of the criminals in the county, that should be in jail, get probation. 

Are you fucking crazy??

The prison population in this country has exploded by like 800% over the last three decades, while the rate of violent crimes has steadily declined. 

This is a massive industry. 

We are incarceration nation. 

So, you live in South Florida and keep up with the judicial system in Escambia County.

One more time....in Escambia and SRC too many criminals get reduced charges. Many of these criminals are repeat offenders. Felony charges are reduced to misdemeanors by the SA.

15NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:49 am

2seaoat

I used to stay at the days Inn for Pelican Drop so we could drink and not drive. About a block away from this site. All I can say is you have to be kidding me. Palafox and the 90 intersection are off the wall busy, and there are already plenty of undesirable walking the street(I should know.....we were walking downtown down the hill....tougher walk after drinking up the hill), and there are commercially zoned properties everywhere.

I would understand this if the location was off Palafox and a bit west, or Southwest, but it is an industrial bottling plant on a major artery of the city. Public transportation is nearby and the building has parking.......what part of a perfect fit does somebody not get. I find it funny that the folks who are staying at the days inn do not bother them.......really dangerous transients.

16NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 11:56 am

Days Inn is at the extreme edge of the district. That area changed with the new Viaduct and the widening of Cervantes. Maybe you also noticed the Jewish synagogue?

17NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 12:15 pm

2seaoat

Maybe you also noticed the Jewish synagogue?

Yes, they looked like they got the short end of the stick with the widening of the road and the new bridge. A lawyer was remodeling a cool old building across the street from the synagogue, and of course the Baptist Church a bit down the hill. I did some of my closings at the reliable title which is next to the historical markers which always get vandalized, and the oaks are magnificent, but really the site is perfect for state offices.

18NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 12:23 pm

The cool old building across the street that is now a lawers office used to be the Pensacola Tourist information building. My father used to volunteer there.

19NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 12:47 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Seaoat Is confused about where the building is in relation to the Days Inn. Another case of apples and oranges.

20NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 1:02 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Mr Ichi wrote:I used to do Business with Sunbelt Ind, who moved into the old Coca Cola plant. They said they tried to find some one to take all the old bottling equipment and such but they had no luck so they scrapped almost all of it.
Yep  A Cola Cola plant tour was a must do for every elementary school.

Triva...  There are no flat spots, window sills, ledges to sit anything on in the building.  They are all sloped or very small as not to hold a Coke Bottle.
The sandstone Cola Cola reliefs build into the building were reported to be valved at over 50,000 dollars but removing them was the issue.

NIMBY whine Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqFq9s13DKuTY6P7HXfXHPUkU0btd1iAxX_hG2z6it4aoVRWB0QA

I used to get stuff from Sunbelt for my company as well. It was a cool building.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

21NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 1:05 pm

2seaoat

You are correct, instead of saying ABOUT a block, I should have said four blocks, but I did not remember how close it was to the intersection, but goodness it is right on Palafox and it is an industrial building, and the zoning is correct.

22NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 1:10 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nope..... More than 4 blocks.

23NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 1:15 pm

2seaoat

six blocks......geez, I should have gone to the map first before saying about.

24NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 1:25 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Days Inn is in the 800 block and the plant is in the 1600 block.

25NIMBY whine Empty Re: NIMBY whine 3/14/2014, 1:35 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://historicnorthhill.com/2014/03/08/alert-important-city-council-meeting/

"...The Coca-Cola Building is NOT zoned for such a use. It is zoned C-3 and R-1AAA (front is commercial/back portion of the property is single-family residential) The zoning districts of our City’s Municipal Code restrict these facilities to the M-1 and/or M-2 Industrial Districts. The CURRENT Probation and Parole office is located at 3101 North Davis Highway and it is IN the correct zoning district. The State intends to combine and co-locate ALL of the county’s Parole offices into our neighborhood, with estimates of 8,000 or more offenders coming to this office according to their website’s statistics for last years’ numbers.

If City Codes were followed, this project would REMAIN in the correct zoning district of M-1, Light Industrial and would not be adjacent to any residential neighborhood.

The City’s Inspections Department has issued the owner of the property the required permits for the renovations and the State expects to begin their 7-year lease as of April 1st (you can’t make this stuff up). No Public Hearing for this use was conducted as required by State Statute. The Planning Department’s stance is that it is just another office, which the zoning allows. We strongly disagree and point to the section of the code that expressly states where these facilities are allowed, which is the M-1 Industrial Zone. We are urging the City and State to READ their codes and follow the law..."

----------------------

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum