Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CBO states that Obamacare will cost the United States 2.3 million jobs by 2024 and raise deficit by 1 trillion

+2
Markle
Sal
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/45010-Outlook2014.pdf

Wow....

CBO's estimate that the ACA will reduce employment
reflects some of the inherent trade-offs involved in
designing such legislation. Subsidies that help lower-
income people purchase an expensive product like
health insurance must be relatively large to encourage a
significant proportion of eligible people to enroll. If those
subsidies are phased out with rising income in order to
limit their total costs, the phaseout effectively raises peo-
ple's marginal tax rates (the tax rates applying to their
last dollar of income), thus discouraging work. In addi-
tion, if the subsidies are financed at least in part by higher
taxes, those taxes will further discourage work or create
other economic distortions, depending on how the taxes
are designed. Alternatively, if subsidies are not phased out
or eliminated with rising income, then the increase in
taxes required to finance the subsidies would be much
larger.

Sal

Sal

“The estimated reduction stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in businesses’ demand for labor, so it will appear almost entirely as a reduction in labor force participation and in hours worked relative to what would have occurred otherwise rather than as an increase in unemployment (that is, more workers seeking but not finding jobs) or underemployment (such as part-time workers who would prefer to work more hours per week).”

A society where health insurance is less tied to full-time employment is a society in which more people will choose not to work full time for a wide spectrum of reasons.

The ACA will kill jobs in the same way that Social Security kills jobs - by making it easier for people in certain circumstances to get by without a full-time job.

Freedom to choose.

Ain't life grand?

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/45010-Outlook2014.pdf

Wow....

CBO's estimate that the ACA will reduce employment
reflects some of the inherent trade-offs involved in
designing such legislation. Subsidies that help lower-
income people purchase an expensive product like
health insurance must be relatively large to encourage a
significant proportion of eligible people to enroll. If those
subsidies are phased out with rising income in order to
limit their total costs, the phaseout effectively raises peo-
ple's marginal tax rates (the tax rates applying to their
last dollar of income), thus discouraging work. In addi-
tion, if the subsidies are financed at least in part by higher
taxes, those taxes will further discourage work or create
other economic distortions, depending on how the taxes
are designed. Alternatively, if subsidies are not phased out
or eliminated with rising income, then the increase in
taxes required to finance the subsidies would be much
larger.

No surprise whatsoever.

This is exactly what opponents of ObamaCare have said from the day it was proposed. President Barack Hussein Obama KNEW what it would cost, lied to us and won elections because some people believe in unicorns and FREE MONEY!

What happened to saving $2500 a year?

It still amazes me that we allowed this boondoggle to "pass"... I haven't seen anything like it in my lifetime.

Sal,
Freedom to chose slavery ? That's what Obamacare is all about... Enslaving the populace on dependency.

I'm sure that economic slavery is acceptable to you Sal. Not so much for the rest of us who don't want to be taxes to death to pay for lazy people not wanting to work and sucking of the teat of society.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Sal,
Freedom to chose slavery ? That's what Obamacare is all about... Enslaving the populace on dependency.  

cheers cheers cheers 

Sal

Sal

Y'all are just lying or are too stupid to read the report. 

Which is it?

[rhetorical]

Here's a theoretical... an average family will save 2500 a year, we will all save money, you can keep your ins, you can keep your doctor, we'll find out what's in it after we pass it, enrollment will now include sign ups, disinrolled are now enrolled. Congrats.

Do we need to go into the bribes and coercions that shoved this down the publics throat?

Sal wrote:Y'all are just lying or are too stupid to read the report. 

Which is it?

[rhetorical]

I think you are stupid if you believe workers purposely working less hours to keep insurance subsidies is a good thing for this economy.

Here's the CBO quote:

In its latest U.S. fiscal outlook, the nonpartisan CBO said the health law would prompt some lower-income workers to limit their hours to avoid losing federal subsidies that are available under the law to help pay for health insurance.

I remember a lady who worked at the Dunes Hotel when I was at UWF. She quit working every year in October just to limit her income that was subsidized by SSI money so she would not lose it. WTH???

Markle

Markle

Which is it?

[rhetorical]

You've probably seen it by now but the brilliant and unparalleled Harry Reid has said they are no losing their jobs, they are FREE AGENTS.

Can they get any more desperate?

Reid: Obamacare Doesn’t Cost Jobs, It Turns Workers Into ‘Free Agents’

by
Bridget Johnson

February 4, 2014 - 1:01 pm

Read more
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/02/04/reid-obamacare-doesnt-cost-jobs-it-turns-workers-into-free-agents/

Think it's time for someone to put a net over him?

Markle wrote:

Which is it?

[rhetorical]

You've probably seen it by now but the brilliant and unparalleled Harry Reid has said they are no losing their jobs, they are FREE AGENTS.

by
Bridget Johnson

Read more
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/02/04/reid-obamacare-doesnt-cost-jobs-it-turns-workers-into-free-agents/

OMG I hadn't seen this. How ridiculous can they get. soon they will be re-naming the unemployment report to the 'free agent" report.. Neutral 

PkrBum wrote:Here's a theoretical... an average family will save 2500 a year, we will all save money, you can keep your ins, you can keep your doctor, we'll find out what's in it after we pass it, enrollment will now include sign ups, disinrolled are now enrolled. Congrats.

Do we need to go into the bribes and coercions that shoved this down the publics throat?

perfect! cheers 

Dot wrote:
Markle wrote:

Which is it?

[rhetorical]

by
Bridget Johnson

Read more

OMG I hadn't seen this. How ridiculous can they get. soon they will be re-naming the unemployment report to the 'free agent" report.. Neutral 

It's like the Obama admin not counting those in the unemployment statistics who have ran out of unemployment funds and dropped out of the job market. Asinine.

Sal

Sal

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

I think you are stupid if you believe workers purposely working less hours to keep insurance subsidies is a good thing for this economy.

It will actually a very good thing for many.

People will be leaving these jobs because they no longer have to worry about affordable healthcare.

In many cases, this will mean older, less-healthy workers, who could otherwise retire but continue to work for healthcare benefits, will leave the workforce.

This will mean more jobs for younger, healthier people.

It also means employers will be able to save money by paying lower, entry-level wages in many if not most of these cases.

Sounds like a win-win, if you ask me.

Freedom to choose is a beautiful thing.

Sal wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

It will actually a very good thing for many.

People will be leaving these jobs because they no longer have to worry about affordable healthcare.

In many cases, this will mean older, less-healthy workers, who could otherwise retire but continue to work for healthcare benefits, will leave the workforce.

This will mean more jobs for younger, healthier people.

It also means employers will be able to save money by paying lower, entry-level wages in many if not most of these cases.

Sounds like a win-win, if you ask me.

Freedom to choose is a beautiful thing.

All of these reasons are full of fail, like Obamacare.

If you are quitting your job, it's not because of the free or near free healthcare.

Older doesn't necessarily mean healthier. I can PT circles around kids 1/3 my age and do so every PT test. Looking at todays generation, where only 1/4 are actually fit enough to join the military, I'd say this generation is far less healthy than any before ever.

Just because older people leave the work force doesn't mean younger people (who more likely are not qualified) will get the jobs vacated by the Boomer generation of which I am at the tail end of myself.

They will earn lower wages because they are not qualified...and how are lower wages supposed to make up for the tax deficit? (Older experienced workers making more money pay more taxes.)

Sounds like a recipe for a permanent underclass especially when combining approximately 20 million illegals who want to be given amnesty for breaking immigration law.

Sal

Sal

At least one Republican is setting the record straight on what the Congressional Budget Office actually said this week about Obamacare and its effect on jobs.

House Budget Chair Paul Ryan (R-WI) explained in a Wednesday hearing with CBO director Steven Elmendorf that the health care reform law wouldn't cost the U.S. economy more than 2 million jobs, as many of his colleagues alleged, but that Americans would choose to work less.

"I want to make sure we accurately understand what it is you are saying," Ryan said, before leading Elmendorf through a series of questions to explain the report and its findings.

Ryan and Elmendorf combined to explain that Obamacare would lead to a decrease in the number of hours worked by up to 2 percent in 2024. Most of that drop, the CBO said, would be the result of Americans choosing not to work, for various reasons, but not because employers would want to hire fewer workers on account of the law. Translate those lost hours into full-time employment and it equals up to 2.5 million jobs by 2024. But that's not the same as jobs being cut.

"Just to understand, it is not that employers are laying people off," Ryan said.

"That is right," Elmendorf said.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul-ryan-gop-job-losses

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:At least one Republican is setting the record straight on what the Congressional Budget Office actually said this week about Obamacare and its effect on jobs.

House Budget Chair Paul Ryan (R-WI) explained in a Wednesday hearing with CBO director Steven Elmendorf that the health care reform law wouldn't cost the U.S. economy more than 2 million jobs, as many of his colleagues alleged, but that Americans would choose to work less.

"I want to make sure we accurately understand what it is you are saying," Ryan said, before leading Elmendorf through a series of questions to explain the report and its findings.

Ryan and Elmendorf combined to explain that Obamacare would lead to a decrease in the number of hours worked by up to 2 percent in 2024. Most of that drop, the CBO said, would be the result of Americans choosing not to work, for various reasons, but not because employers would want to hire fewer workers on account of the law. Translate those lost hours into full-time employment and it equals up to 2.5 million jobs by 2024. But that's not the same as jobs being cut.

"Just to understand, it is not that employers are laying people off," Ryan said.

Wow...so to you, and the other far left Progressives, it is a GOOD thing that people look at the handouts they can get from government, weigh that against playing by the rules, getting an education and working hard to get ahead...and CHOSE SIT ON THE COUCH AND PLAY WITH THEY PLAYSTATION 1 or whatever.

You believe it is GOOD for me, and millions of others, to work 60 or 70 hours a week so that those who CHOSE not to work are well supported.

WOW!

Markle wrote:
Sal wrote:At least one Republican is setting the record straight on what the Congressional Budget Office actually said this week about Obamacare and its effect on jobs.

Wow...so to you, and the other far left Progressives, it is a GOOD thing that people look at the handouts they can get from government, weigh that against playing by the rules, getting an education and working hard to get ahead...and CHOSE SIT ON THE COUCH AND PLAY WITH THEY PLAYSTATION 1 or whatever.

You believe it is GOOD for me, and millions of others, to work 60 or 70 hours a week so that those who CHOSE not to work are well supported.

WOW!

That's exactly what they believe.

2seaoat

In fact, the CBO report says in the short term (2014 to 2016) the law will increase employment while the economy is still weak.

People just do not think. A person 62 can begin collecting social secuirity and early retirement. If I did not already have a health insurance policy and pre affordable care act law applied, I will have to keep working until I am I am eligible for medicare. With this portability and elimination of pre existing conditions you are going to see boomers choosing to retire early on their savings and reduced ss benefit........this is not welfare, but a free choice that Americans have available and I believe that the CBO report underestimates the total which I think will be much higher based on my conversation with friends who have sizeable 401 k and ira benefits who are now willing to take the reduced early retirement benefit now that they have found affordable insurance. One of my best friends declared at our super bowl party that he and his wife got an affordable health care benefit and he is now going to retire early.

The wimp from Virginia Eric Cantor thinks the American people are stupid, and certainly some people on this forum want to believe something bad about the affordable care act, but the facts are this thing is becoming a home run for babyboomers, and I laugh because this guy hates Obama...but the excitement in his voice could not hide the truth.....he is sold on the affordable care act.

http://news.msn.com/us/fact-check-will-obamacare-kill-23-million-jobs

2seaoat

Paul Ryan is a RINO sal

Because he told the truth and is intelligent to realize that not all Americans are low hanging fruits?

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dot wrote:
Markle wrote:

Which is it?

[rhetorical]

by
Bridget Johnson

Read more

It's like the Obama admin not counting those in the unemployment statistics who have ran out of unemployment funds and dropped out of the job market. Asinine.

Progressives know their voter base are the very low information voter. Progressives avoid, and the low information voter doesn't understand that there are millions fewer working today than six years ago. To them, if the unemployment level drops, MORE PEOPLE ARE WORKING...YEA!

Progressives chuckle, promise their voters a few more months of unemployment and more subsidies and they're all happy counting on other people to happily work harder and pay more in taxes.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It is amazing how quickly the right wingers can turn on the idea of a person having the freedom to leave their job if they so choose without fear of going into bankruptcy because of an accident or serious illness.

Now that health care insurance is not tied to their job they can quit and start that business they always dreamed of creating. Am I the only person who has heard many people over the years admit they turned down a job doing something they really loved because it didn't include a health insurance plan?

It is just stunning how the wingers immediately assume the very very worst possible scenario re this new option for working and insurance coverage. If  Reagan had or some other Republican saint had come up with this plan the decoupling would be framed as a new FREEDOM for HARD WORKING AMERICANS but since it is now part of the ACA it is portrayed as a slippery slope to laziness.

Since we now have more people looking for work than available jobs it sounds like a good deal for everyone if those who don't really need the money could cut back on their hours or drop that second or third job and let someone else have it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum