Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ...

+8
Joanimaroni
surfnrg
Ghost Rider
TEOTWAWKI
Floridatexan
ZVUGKTUBM
QueenOfHearts
Sal
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Who did it?

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap25%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 25% [ 4 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 13% [ 2 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 13% [ 2 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap19%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 19% [ 3 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:31 pm

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:
surfnrg wrote:I know exactly where I was and even down to the school desk i was at. The first announcement was that the President had been shot and the principle prayed over the loudspeaker. The second was that our President had died. We were dismissed. And yes the world I knew stood still. My parents were very quiet.

Something about the original post  to me was offensive. I am not exactly sure why? Perhaps I feel there is not enough respect. Also it is President Kennedy even today.
Too soon?

lol

I really meant no disrespect.

You have to realize that this event took place before I was born, so this is history book stuff for me.

OP edited to "President Kennedy".
Not necessary.

You have proven time after time that your parents taught you nothing about courtesy, character or manners.

27It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:32 pm

2seaoat

Just because your entire family was/is racist doesn't mean everyone else's family is/was racist.

This lecture coming from someone who thinks people with Hispanic surnames are non white. I at least recognize the source of racism and have striven to overcome much of my prejudgment........were you adopted?

28It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:34 pm

2seaoat wrote: do you not feel safe and secure in your community now?

I have found Rosebud.
ITS YOUR MEMORY, NOT MINE. I WASNT BORN YET LOL

29It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:41 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:If you can remember what you were doing, is your memory like mine of a wonderful time in our lives when we all felt safe and secure in our communities and had this optimism that America was going to get better.

However, I also remember the talks at the kitchen table about the downtown merchant strike, and how outside agitators were fueling the strife between the races.  I remember as if it was yesterday hateful things being said about people of color.   It is funny how selective our memory becomes as we age.

Your school didn't practice bomb drills?

30It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:48 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:Just because your entire family was/is racist doesn't mean everyone else's family is/was racist.

This lecture coming from someone who thinks people with Hispanic surnames are non white.   I at least recognize the source of racism and have striven to overcome much of my prejudgment........were you adopted?
Sal's link makes a point to say that many police there are white and Hispanic. Read it and be offended. 

We were informed by the media during the Zimmerman proceedings that he is a white Hispanic.    But what mattered most is the white part of him.   The Hispanic part of him couldn't possibly be racist.   The evil white side of him is more powerful and it took over. 

I was raised by Kennedy loving Democrats.  My mother had a model of JFK sitting in his rocking chair on the mantel for years.

Is there something wrong with being adopted?

31It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:52 pm

2seaoat

Your school didn't practice bomb drills?

Yes we did. I was active in Boy Scouts, and they utilized us to stock public buildings with survivor supplies and Civil Defense survival items. I remember stocking a Holiday Inn which all the rooms had glass windows which comprised the front of every room. Some of the chosen buildings made very little sense. I remember people in my neighborhood building bomb shelters. I remember my father at a party declaring that he had guilt bringing children into an insane world.

I remember September and October of 1962 in my fifth grade class being taught to go out into the hall and face the brick wall with our eyes closed in a crouched down position. I liked that part because I was looking up dirty words in the dictionary and was beginning to appreciate the female physique which when crouched down facing the brick wall I suddenly found very interesting.....it was fifth grade where they first separated the girls from boys to give us those talks about the birds and bees. A very exciting time.

32It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 9:47 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

The JKF model my mother had looked a lot like this, but I don't remember there being a fireplace or other accessories with it.   My mother just had the rocking chair with JFK sitting in it on display.  I don't know what happened to it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-JOHN-F-KENNEDY-AURORA-851-MODEL-KIT-IN-ORIGINAL-BOX-/171177115378?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item27daf37ef2

33It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/23/2013, 12:32 am

My uncle was Ordained Baptist  minister.  He attended Howard theological Seminary in New Orleans.  He later worked for the State of Florida in the State Prison system at Starke Fla.  He was the lead Chaplain for many years.

He was a good man and was ahead of his time in the area of Civil rights. As a result my family missed out on a lot of the hate and the ensuing race issues.  One Thanksgiving when I was about 14 years we had the traditional thanksgiving dinner.  Big folks at the big table and every one else at smaller tables or on the poach.  At the big table one of my aunts called my Uncle a "Nigger Lover" because of his stance on a local integration issue..  My Mother jumped up and slapped my aunt and then our family left the dinner.  My Mother lived to be almost 90 years old and she never spoke to the aunt again.  I can not ever remember my Mother or Father using the word "Nigger".  
So the picture that some folks paint of all southern family sitting around taking hate is misguided, to say the least. We have tired to live by the values that my Uncle taught us. I have not always been successful in following his guidance but I have tried. I have no guilt.

34It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/23/2013, 12:45 am

2seaoat

You should be very proud of your mother. It is easy to go along......it is quite another thing to walk a lonely path. It is easy to tell the truth when it is convenient. It takes integrity to tell the truth when there are consequences. I sadly must report that some of my family would be getting their face slapped.

35It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/23/2013, 1:07 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

QueenOfHearts wrote:
A little off topic, but:  I was a baby when this happened, so I have no memory of it.  I was talking to a few others that were older at the time.  I had just assumed that the country came to a standstill when the President was assassinated.  I was told that they made announcements in school, teachers were crying, but then they just continued on as a regular school day.  Businesses did not close down, etc.  Everything just went on as usual.  I was really surprised to hear that.  I would think that when the leader of your country was assassinated, the response would be a lot different, whether that leader was your candidate or not.  Sad 
I was in a high school English class. I can't remember if a student came into the room and gave the teacher a note or whether the announcement came over the intercom but we were told that the President had been shot. The announcement must have come close after the incident because he was not known to be dead at that point. I don't remember people crying but they may have. We were all stunned. School was dismissed.

I drove home to tell my mother and listened to the radio on the way home. I heard the report that he had been shot in the head. I told my mother this and she said: "Oh, he's gone." I didn't want to believe that and I was angry with her for saying that so I got in the car and just drove around. I drove from Phoenix to Scottsdale and listened to the radio reports. Many others were aimlessly driving around too apparently also listening to the reports. People were driving at 15-20 miles an hour. It was very strange because we were all having the same experience of listening to these awful reports.

The next impression I have is of the constant TV coverage of the shooting of JFK, then the arrest and shooting of Oswald and the funeral services in DC, the President's body laying in state, the burial at Arlington and the eternal flame, John-John in his little shorts and suit coat about age 2 1/2 or so saluting the flag. It was just a crushing time. In Phoenix at any rate things did not go on as usual. It was just an unbelievably mournful time as I remember it.

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 JFKWHP-AR8255-K

36It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... - Page 2 Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/23/2013, 11:32 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:In Spring of 1964 we decided we would buy a portrait of President Kennedy and put it in the office.  
When I was a kid, my parents had a gold painted plaster bust of Kennedy that sat on the mantel above the fireplace. 

One night, I had a nightmare that damn thing was chasing me all over the house. 

lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum