Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ...

+8
Joanimaroni
surfnrg
Ghost Rider
TEOTWAWKI
Floridatexan
ZVUGKTUBM
QueenOfHearts
Sal
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who did it?

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap25%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 25% [ 4 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap0%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap6%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap13%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 13% [ 2 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap6%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap13%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 13% [ 2 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap19%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 19% [ 3 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap0%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_lcap12%It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... I_vote_rcap 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 11:36 am

Sal

Sal

... Someone blew President Kennedy's head away ...

Last edited by Sal on 11/22/2013, 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

2It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 11:48 am

Sal

Sal

That should read "LBJ in conjunction with the MIC", but Men in Black is pretty good too.

lol

I guess you can't go back and edit a poll after it's been posted.

3It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 1:07 pm

Sal

Sal

Wow.

Ol' Lee's not getting any love at all.

lol

4It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 2:22 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

A little off topic, but: I was a baby when this happened, so I have no memory of it. I was talking to a few others that were older at the time. I had just assumed that the country came to a standstill when the President was assassinated. I was told that they made announcements in school, teachers were crying, but then they just continued on as a regular school day. Businesses did not close down, etc. Everything just went on as usual. I was really surprised to hear that. I would think that when the leader of your country was assassinated, the response would be a lot different, whether that leader was your candidate or not. Sad 

5It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 2:25 pm

Sal

Sal

QueenOfHearts wrote:
A little off topic, but:  I was a baby when this happened, so I have no memory of it.  I was talking to a few others that were older at the time.  I had just assumed that the country came to a standstill when the President was assassinated.  I was told that they made announcements in school, teachers were crying, but then they just continued on as a regular school day.  Businesses did not close down, etc.  Everything just went on as usual.  I was really surprised to hear that.  I would think that when the leader of your country was assassinated, the response would be a lot different, whether that leader was your candidate or not.  Sad 
Where did these people live at the time.

I'm sure the reaction varied quite a bit by locale.

I wasn't alive at the time, but my Dad has told me he was sent home from work, and my mother was a teacher at a Catholic school and all of the kids were immediately sent home.

6It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 2:31 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Sal wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:
A little off topic, but:  I was a baby when this happened, so I have no memory of it.  I was talking to a few others that were older at the time.  I had just assumed that the country came to a standstill when the President was assassinated.  I was told that they made announcements in school, teachers were crying, but then they just continued on as a regular school day.  Businesses did not close down, etc.  Everything just went on as usual.  I was really surprised to hear that.  I would think that when the leader of your country was assassinated, the response would be a lot different, whether that leader was your candidate or not.  Sad 
Where did these people live at the time.

I'm sure the reaction varied quite a bit by locale.

I wasn't alive at the time, but my Dad has told me he was sent home from work, and my mother was a teacher at a Catholic school and all of the kids were immediately sent home.
Different states -- north, south and west.  I would think there'd be some period of national mourning until the funeral, out of respect.  I would imagine something like that be one of those things that bring people together, like 9/11 did.

Last edited by QueenOfHearts on 11/22/2013, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

7It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 2:48 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I was in the 6th Grade at Caroline Payne Harris Elementary School in Bakersfield, California, where I grew up. I remember the teacher, Mr. Sworder, coming into our class and announcing: "Class, I have some terrible news for you. President Kennedy has been shot and he is dead."

Our nation was knee-deep in the worst part of the Cold War at that time, and my first thoughts as I sat at my desk in that classroom were that Nikita Kruschev was behind the murder and that nuclear war with the USSR was soon to follow.

Such were the times for young Baby-Boomers back then. My 28 year old daughter cannot grasp what it feels like to be under the continuous threat of nuclear annihilation.

JFK had many enemies, both within and without. Why, he wanted to negotiate an end to the Cold War with the USSR, and pull U.S. troops out of Vietnam. Those things, plus his refusal to invade Cuba and depose of Castro are what got him killed by insiders who wanted him gone. My vote goes with LBJ acting with the MIC--I have always thought Oswald was the fall guy.

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 11/22/2013, 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

8It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 2:49 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

QueenOfHearts wrote:
I was in the 7th grade.  Ms. Stuart, my teacher, broke down in tears.  I think most people spent that day crying.  I was completely taken with JFK, who ran when I was 10.  I remember watching him on my aunt's TV and saying, "Who is that?"  I had a schoolgirl crush on him.  

And George H W Bush was at the forefront...no doubt whatsoever.  I don't think it was LBJ, although he may have made a deal with the devil, not knowing what was planned.

Oh, and I lived in south Texas, but I don't think it mattered that much what part of the country a person was from. Kennedy may have been hated by the bankers, the CIA, the Texas oilmen, and the mob (because Cuba was a mob stronghold), but I believe the vast majority of the public liked Kennedy. I think LBJ was blindsided by the assassination of Kennedy...at least that's what I want to believe because we are blood relatives, though far removed. I also think some members of the military had a serious cold-war mentality...and some members of the government, just like today, are too tied up with commercial considerations, including the exploitation of other countries.

Last edited by Floridatexan on 11/22/2013, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

9It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 2:55 pm

Sal

Sal

The results of the poll are fascinating.

It really illustrates the failure of the government to provide a definitive answer that is satisfactory to the American people.

I really believe that this single incident was the genesis of our current Conspiracy Nation.

10It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 3:10 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:The results of the poll are fascinating.

It really illustrates the failure of the government to provide a definitive answer that is satisfactory to the American people.

I really believe that this single incident was the genesis of our current Conspiracy Nation.
The same thing can be said about the terror attacks of 9/11. I am no avid and dyed-in-the-wool "Truther," but I do not subscribe to the "established" facts.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

11It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 3:13 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Ya Think ?

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Dealey10

12It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 4:30 pm

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

QueenOfHearts wrote:
Queen, my school continued with business as usual, but our football game that was scheduled for that night was cancelled.

13It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty President Kennedy 11/22/2013, 4:31 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

I know exactly where I was and even down to the school desk i was at. The first announcement was that the President had been shot and the principle prayed over the loudspeaker. The second was that our President had died. We were dismissed. And yes the world I knew stood still. My parents were very quiet.

Something about the original post to me was offensive. I am not exactly sure why? Perhaps I feel there is not enough respect. Also it is President Kennedy even today.

14It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 5:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I was in the 6 the grade. We were told the president had been shot. The nuns were all visibly upset...as well as the students. We all went into the church. We said the rosary and then mass was held. The entire church was filled with students and parishioners. That evening another mass was held.

15It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 5:26 pm

Hell we can't get any answers to Benghazi, why would you expect any to something as grave as the assassination of a sitting POTUS?

16It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 5:28 pm

Sal

Sal

surfnrg wrote:I know exactly where I was and even down to the school desk i was at. The first announcement was that the President had been shot and the principle prayed over the loudspeaker. The second was that our President had died. We were dismissed. And yes the world I knew stood still. My parents were very quiet.

Something about the original post  to me was offensive. I am not exactly sure why? Perhaps I feel there is not enough respect. Also it is President Kennedy even today.
Too soon?

lol

I really meant no disrespect.

You have to realize that this event took place before I was born, so this is history book stuff for me.

OP edited to "President Kennedy".

17It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 5:52 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

Sal

I am not even sure why it struck me that way? Even today this is an emotional topic for me and many others. I do think we lost something
Even greater that day? Was it Camelot, the Age of Innocence?
I am not sure, but i feel in inside me some perceptible but unnamed
Loss.

I was not angry or anything I think just reading those words gave me an old old sinking feeling.....

18It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 6:06 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Hell we can't get any answers to Benghazi, why would you expect any to something as grave as the assassination of a sitting POTUS?
It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Gop-benghazi-rohrshack

19It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 6:10 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Family

It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Apgb_kennedy_john_f_ssv

20It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 6:11 pm

2seaoat

I was a sixth grade student at a school which was literally under construction. One wing was open for us, but the balance of the school was under construction. I remember over the announcement speaker telling the students that the president had been shot. I remember shortly thereafter, they announced the President had died and that school was going to be let out early.

What struck me most that day was how easily girls expressed their sorrow. There were groups of young girls just out of control crying. The boys all had a WTF look on their faces, but were not able to express the sorrow. It was almost like a panic of sorrow because it fed off of itself almost to the point of hysteria......the whole school had crying females and teachers trying to comfort.

I was President of my Sixth grade class. In Spring of 1964 we decided we would buy a portrait of President Kennedy and put it in the office. The cornerstone of the new school said 1963 and the portrait just seemed to capture that moment. I was sad when 25 years later I visited the school and saw they had taken the president's picture from the office, and had placed it at some obscure corner in a remote hallway. Politics or just time passing had rendered that important day and the symbolic nature of that portrait irrelevant. I was sad. I will never forget.

21It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 6:27 pm

I was putting a 4 speed transmission back in my car in a little shop on A st.  The news came in of the radio.  My girlfriend  said "Damn  Ichi  The president just got killed.  You may be screwed.  Aren't you about ready to get drafted?  What if it  is the start of a War or something?"  A little over 30 days later I was freezing my ass off at Fort Jackson.  I really did not have much time to dwell on it.   He was a good man.  He might could have saved us all a lot of grief had he lived. I wish I could tell some sad but patriotic story about how we all cried and wept, but it did not happen. We just moved on. Still had to go to work the next day.

22It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:15 pm

2seaoat

If you can remember what you were doing, is your memory like mine of a wonderful time in our lives when we all felt safe and secure in our communities and had this optimism that America was going to get better.

However, I also remember the talks at the kitchen table about the downtown merchant strike, and how outside agitators were fueling the strife between the races. I remember as if it was yesterday hateful things being said about people of color. It is funny how selective our memory becomes as we age.

23It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:25 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:If you can remember what you were doing, is your memory like mine of a wonderful time in our lives when we all felt safe and secure in our communities and had this optimism that America was going to get better.

However, I also remember the talks at the kitchen table about the downtown merchant strike, and how outside agitators were fueling the strife between the races.  I remember as if it was yesterday hateful things being said about people of color.   It is funny how selective our memory becomes as we age.
Just because your entire family was/is racist doesn't mean everyone else's family is/was racist.

24It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:27 pm

2seaoat wrote:If you can remember what you were doing, is your memory like mine of a wonderful time in our lives when we all felt safe and secure in our communities and had this optimism that America was going to get better.

However, I also remember the talks at the kitchen table about the downtown merchant strike, and how outside agitators were fueling the strife between the races.  I remember as if it was yesterday hateful things being said about people of color.   It is funny how selective our memory becomes as we age.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm do you not feel safe and secure in your community now? I expect you to back step now lol

25It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... Empty Re: It Was 50 Years Ago Today ... 11/22/2013, 8:30 pm

2seaoat

do you not feel safe and secure in your community now?

I have found Rosebud.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum