Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food stamps

+3
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Food stamps Empty Food stamps 8/15/2013, 2:06 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Food stamps 1002902_10151771733974255_1681064670_n

2Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/15/2013, 2:24 pm

ummm... it's called SNAP now. I'll let you slide this time... but if you call it food stamps again it'll be bias...

of one type or another.

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/americas-food-for-votes-program

3Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/15/2013, 2:39 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Military members use WIC, too. In the 90s I watched an enlisted member make WIC purchases at the Pensacola commissary, and items eligible for WIC are marked on the shelves there.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

4Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/15/2013, 3:04 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:ummm... it's called SNAP now. I'll let you slide this time... but if you call it food stamps again it'll be bias...

of one type or another.

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/americas-food-for-votes-program
Do you really think I care about "political correctness"? Gonna let me slide, huh? You and whose army?

5Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/15/2013, 9:16 pm

Floridatexan wrote:Food stamps 1002902_10151771733974255_1681064670_n
Food stamps Th?id=H.4584672524962626&pid=1

Why does a liberal like you care?

Do you want to pay them competitively like their counterparts in civilian life get paid?

I'm all for it if it's retroactive! Go ahead and raise my pay by three to five times what I actually made while I served in the military.

That's the argument that the public sector government employees utilize to justify for being over paid isn't it?

Or that the teachers in New York make more than the teachers in Iowa or Missouri?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X_Dd_6Czk

Smile

6Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/15/2013, 11:08 pm

Only 5000 out of all the millions on it? wow, im surprised since the military doesn't pay its soldiers a living salary. But you can bet your ass it pays its militia a living salary.

7Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 2:50 am

I became a volunteer financial advisor for young enlisted when I found out that some of them were having to make purchases with public assistance cards. I was appalled.

The person who created the meme was focusing on the wrong cause. The injustice is not the treatment or perception of people on public assistance, it is that any active duty person should need it. I understand the reasons for encouraging young enlisted not to marry and have children which is complicated by pay scales, but the reality is that some do - and at least they are forming FAMILIES.

The meme creator should know that many people on food assistance ARE freeloaders.

8Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 3:05 am

Markle

Markle

When I entered the service I made less than $95.00 per month.

One of the other new recruits was grousing about it and that he couldn't support his wife on that income. He was overheard by the DI. The DI turned to him and carefully explained that if the Army wanted him to have a wife, they'd have issued him one.

Harsh perhaps, but just because someone enters the service doesn't entitle them to be paid enough for a wife and kids.

Like any other job. You start at the bottom rung, you work yourself up with promotions and raises, THEN when you can afford the cost, you get married. Then when you and your wife determine that you can afford a child, you have a child.

Mistakes happen, but they are not my fault, nor are they anyone else's fault. There is such a thing as PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

9Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 9:16 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Military pay is MUCH better today than it used to be. 5000 is not many out of all of our service members and these 5000 who are on food assistance must be young E-1s or E-2s with 3 or 4 or more kids.

There are MANY people who abuse the system. Just like there are many people who abuse Social Security disability. Makes me angry because they take away from people who really need the help.

10Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 9:39 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Kahala wrote:I became a volunteer financial advisor for young enlisted when I found out that some of them were having to make purchases with public assistance cards. I was appalled.

The person who created the meme was focusing on the wrong cause. The injustice is not the treatment or perception of people on public assistance, it is that any active duty person should need it. I understand the reasons for encouraging young enlisted not to marry and have children which is complicated by pay scales, but the reality is that some do - and at least they are forming FAMILIES.

The meme creator should know that many people on food assistance ARE freeloaders.

The meme creator should know that many people on food assistance ARE freeloaders......cheers 

So many needy recipients do not get enough help because of the freeloaders.

11Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 10:20 am

Floridatexan wrote:Food stamps 1002902_10151771733974255_1681064670_n
...and now Sec Def Hagel seeks to further put them behind the poverty line by taking away part of their housing allowance as well.

Wow, the admin really cares about the military.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20130807/BENEFITS02/308070032/DoD-looks-ways-scale-back-BAH

Last edited by PACEDOG#1 on 8/16/2013, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

12Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 10:22 am

Nekochan wrote:Military pay is MUCH better today than it used to be. 5000 is not many out of all of our service members and these 5000 who are on food assistance must be  young E-1s or E-2s with 3 or 4 or more kids.  

There are MANY people who abuse the system.  Just like there are many people who abuse Social Security disability.  Makes me angry because they take away from people who really need the help.  
Yes, the pay is better, but now the Sec Def wants to take back some of the BAH that folks earn for living off base. Has Congress given back any of their money lately?

13Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 10:35 am

A married man with two or three kids and a young wife who is working full time as an active duty serviceman is being personally responsible and should not be in a place of judgement either here or in the grocery store line. You all should be ashamed. Really.

14Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 10:39 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Kahala wrote:A married man with two or three kids and a young wife who is working full time as an active duty serviceman is being personally responsible and should not be in a place of judgement either here or in the grocery store line. You all should be ashamed. Really.
I agree with you....

15Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 10:47 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Military and DOD employees have taken a big hit over the last few years.  The military has been tested to its limit for a dozen years now, with many members on deployment after deployment in war zones.  (No, this is not all Obama's fault, like some smarty pants will come on here and claim I said).  But it's true.   Funding for training has been cut for our military.  Civilian DOD employees have taken hits in their pay and hits in training as well.  But all we see on the news is IRS employees  and other employees of government agencies living it up, wasting taxpayer money.  It makes me mad too, when I see this crap.   But it's not the average federal employee or military person engaging in this wasteful spending.   Most are out there just doing their jobs to the best of their ability.    There is a BIG money problem.  Our government is broke.  Cuts have to be made.   I understand.    I'd like to see federal employees who are wasting taxpayer money and abusing their positions FIRED.  I'd like to see people abusing the food stamp system,disability system and other government systems put in place to help those in need, cut off.    And I'd like to see Congress furloughed, without pay.
The last thing we need to be doing to our military right now is cutting their benefits.  I believe that there is plenty of waste to cut in the DOD and in OTHER government agencies, without attacking service members' benefits.

16Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 11:06 am

2seaoat

You all should be ashamed. Really.

Agree, and that shame should not be limited to just military families, but we should reserve our generalizations and judgment because many families are simply trying to do the best they can to raise children and make a contribution to society. Our judgment should focus on the abuses of the system. Those abuses should be corrected, and we should invest the resources to do the same.

17Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 11:13 am

Sal

Sal

A quarter of Americans eligible for nutritional assistance do not collect it because they don't know they're eligible, the stigma associated with collecting it, or the paperwork involved is too onerous. 

Republicans think that more hungry babies is the answer to all of America's woes. 

Shameful is an understatement. 

18Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 11:15 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:A quarter of Americans eligible for nutritional assistance do not collect it because they don't know they're eligible, the stigma associated with collecting it, or the paperwork involved is too onerous. 

Republicans think that more hungry babies is the answer to all of America's woes. 

Yes, Republicans want starving babies here, there and everywhere. Rolling Eyes 

19Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 11:17 am

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:
Sal wrote:A quarter of Americans eligible for nutritional assistance do not collect it because they don't know they're eligible, the stigma associated with collecting it, or the paperwork involved is too onerous. 

Yes, Republicans want starving babies here, there and everywhere. Rolling Eyes 
Policies speak louder than empty rhetoric. 

20Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 11:20 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yes.

21Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 11:26 am

Sal

Sal

Reference the farm bill being toyed with by the House Repukes. 

They couldn't get the lunatics in their own party to vote for it because it didn't slash enough. 

Insanity. 

22Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 11:41 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I'm all for cutting the waste in the food stamp program.

23Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/16/2013, 12:01 pm

2seaoat wrote:You all should be ashamed. Really.

Agree, and that shame should not be limited to just military families, but we should reserve our generalizations and judgment because many families are simply trying to do the best they can to raise children and make a contribution to society. Our judgment should focus on the abuses of the system. Those abuses should be corrected, and we should invest the resources to do the same.
http://www.amren.com/news/2012/07/usda-combats-mountain-pride-self-reliance-to-boost-food-stamp-rolls/

One in seven Americans are on food stamps, but the government is pushing to enroll more—in many instances working to overcome Americans’ “pride,” self-reliance or failure to see a need.

“Our common goal is to increase participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program,” the United States Department of Agriculture explains on its “Outreach Toolkits” page. “Our purpose is to ensure that those going through difficult times can feed their families healthy, nutritious food. By working as a team, we can accomplish these goals.”

The USDA has adopted a range of strategies and programs designed to bring more people to SNAP, including taking on “pride.” A 2011 Hunger Champions Award document reveals that local assistance offices have been rewarded for “counteracting” pride and pushing more people to sign up for benefits.

The Ashe County Department of Social Services in Jefferson, N.C., for example, received a “Gold” award for confronting “mountain pride” and increasing food stamp participation by 10 percent.

“Hearing from the outreach worker that benefits could be used to purchase seeds and plants for their gardens turned out to be a very important strategy in counteracting what they described as ‘mountain pride’ and appealed to those who wished not to rely on others,” the document explains. “Eventually, many accepted assistance from the Low Income Energy Assistance Program, the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary program, and others, in some cases doubling a household’s net income. In 1 year, SNAP participation increased over 10 percent.”

The agency adds that there are many hurdles—including reticence to accept government aid—that SNAP advocates must overcome in order to make eligible people accept the government’s help.

According to the USDA, 65 percent of those eligible claim SNAP benefits, a number the agency has been working to increase.

24Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/17/2013, 1:13 am

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:You all should be ashamed. Really.

Agree, and that shame should not be limited to just military families, but we should reserve our generalizations and judgment because many families are simply trying to do the best they can to raise children and make a contribution to society.  Our judgment should focus on the abuses of the system.  Those abuses should be corrected, and we should invest the resources to do the same.
Government speak for...SPEND MORE MONEY!

One thing you left out is teaching PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. I realize that it is a term few Progressives are familiar with.

25Food stamps Empty Re: Food stamps 8/17/2013, 1:39 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Nekochan wrote:Military and DOD employees have taken a big hit over the last few years.  The military has been tested to its limit for a dozen years now, with many members on deployment after deployment in war zones.  (No, this is not all Obama's fault, like some smarty pants will come on here and claim I said).  But it's true.   Funding for training has been cut for our military.  Civilian DOD employees have taken hits in their pay and hits in training as well.  But all we see on the news is IRS employees  and other employees of government agencies living it up, wasting taxpayer money.  It makes me mad too, when I see this crap.   But it's not the average federal employee or military person engaging in this wasteful spending.   Most are out there just doing their jobs to the best of their ability.    There is a BIG money problem.  Our government is broke.  Cuts have to be made.   I understand.    I'd like to see federal employees who are wasting taxpayer money and abusing their positions FIRED.  I'd like to see people abusing the food stamp system,disability system and other government systems put in place to help those in need, cut off.    And I'd like to see Congress furloughed, without pay.
The last thing we need to be doing to our military right now is cutting their benefits.  I believe that there is plenty of waste to cut in the DOD and in OTHER government agencies, without attacking service members' benefits.
Unfortunately, when the misery ultimately does get handed out, it will be shared by all. Wait until Boomers get their SS shaved. It is likely in the cards.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum