Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food Stamps and Baseball:

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/10/2013, 11:29 pm

From a Blog  Of course it could not be true. Posted for entertainment value only

Food Stamps and Baseball: the tale of imaginary friend Mickey Cobb
As I stated in my previous post, the Baseball America article on minor league salaries was finally published. Yes, I know, it had become some mythical balloon floating around in the troposphere by now. Unlike the balloon boy fiasco, hopefully it contained more than just hot air.

I bored you with some stats in my previous post. Basically salaries have been grounded like a dead hawk the past 35 years, while inflation has been building faster than 1990s suburbia. Meanwhile, baseball profits are at an all time high, and MLB salaries have risen by 7000%.

But enough of that. Today we're going to tell a little bedtime story. It's a little fictional account about food stamps and poverty, enlisting the help of an imaginary friend. (Because it's better to embarrass an imaginary friend than a real friend.)

My imaginary friend is a minor league baseball player (shocker). Since my friend needs a name, we'll call him Mickey Cobb. Mickey hails from a land as open and free as a Galilean moon: Oklahoma. The name of his town? Cottonmouth. Always a natural athlete, Mickey was popular in high school but never won any contests such as Prom King. In fact, he elected to not even go to prom--he hates the choking confines of a tux. (Not to mention the terrible feeling of posing for pictures.) Instead, he sat around a bonfire with a couple of his baseball buddies, watching Bill E. Bobb crush empty cans of Keystone off his forehead. Later, others joined the circle of post-prom reminiscing, including the Prom Queen, who quickly huddled next to Mickey close to the fire (as far away from Bill E. as possible).

Mickey attended a local junior college where he developed as a player and continued to date Prom Queen. He then attended Some Southern University in Western Oklahoma--a well-known baseball powerhouse. His junior year, Mick had high hopes of getting drafted, but the scrimmage prior to the start of the season a hamstring was strained, which hampered (couldn't help myself) him the entire season. Both his power numbers and his ability to play the outfield diminished. Draft day passed without his name being called.

With the coming of his senior year, Mickey worked harder than ever. He knew it was his last chance to make his dream a reality. The hard work paid off. Mickey became an All-Conference player, and in early June the moment finally came. He heard his name called in the 12th round of the draft.

As a senior signee, Mickey had no leverage. He quickly took the first offer given him by the BlueBuzzards, and signed a uniform contract with a $5,000 signing bonus. He immediately took the bulk of the bonus to the local Cottonmouth jewelry store, where he bought a diamond solitaire engagement ring for Prom Queen. All of Cottonmouth, Oklahoma rejoiced.
Mickey has now played a year and a half in professional baseball. He enters his second spring training after making the Sally League All-Star team the previous year, posting a .297 average with 16 homeruns. Though he's not considered a top prospect yet, the eyes and spitcups of the organization are upon him. He hopes with another All-Star caliber season he will move into the upper ranks of the system.

Last season Mickey made just over $6000 for the year. He went to instructional leagues for all of October and also attended a two week workout camp in December. Additionally, he was invited to a mini-camp beginning two weeks prior to spring training in the middle of February. He earned no money for his time spent at instructional leagues or at spring training. All of these things--combined with a tough local economy--made it impossible for him to find work during the couple of months spent in Cottonmouth. His baseball salary was his only source of income.

Prom Queen worked odd jobs--20 hours a week at a golf course during one summer month, part-time at a restaurant 2 winter months--but she too found it hard to find work while living as a gypsy. In all, she earned $3,000 herself. Combined they earned $9000 last season.

Their bank account is as empty as an Easter tomb. Even though they're now married, they again lived with their parents in the offseason. This season, they're living with three other players, all crammed into a two-bedroom apartment, yet they still pay almost $400 per month for rent.

More and more, Mick and Prom Queen are finding it difficult to pay for groceries. Finally they make a tough decision. They inquire to see if they are eligible for food stamps.

They open up Mick's old laptop--a Christmas present from his freshman year in college that is as slow as a sailboat on a windless day. After a few minutes, the power of Google directs them to a website that gives an instant estimate. Prom Queen types some information into the calculator. FNS SNAP eligibility screening proclaims they are eligible for between $357 and $367 per month in food stamps.

They also look into other benefits. They find that they are well below the established poverty guidelines which qualify them for a myriad of things. In fact, they are more than $5000 below the threshold of $14,700 set by the government for a family of two.

Mick and Prom Queen quietly go about the process of applying for these benefits. They are embarrassed about their situation, but they don't know what else to do. Their parents have no money to help them. Prom Queen can't find work. And Mick's meager salary is set by his original contract. They've done their best to avoid credit card use. They're pinching pennies as much as possible--Prom Queen hasn't bought a new shirt in months--yet they need help. Not even Bill E. Bobb's awesome powers can rescue them.

Mickey tries to put these things out of his mind. He goes to the park each day, hoping beyond hope that he will soon be promoted. He knows he has talent, but so do many others. The chances of reaching the big leagues are slim, but he must continue to believe.

Each day he signs a few autographs before entering the clubhouse. Playing for his new team in the Midwest League, seven or eight thousand people watch him play each night. These people cheer him, and many already know his name. Being an All-Star the previous year, he's one of the centerpieces of his new team's marketing strategy. He's on the cover of the program and will routinely make visits to schools. He talks to the local press and makes radio appearances. And Mick never turns down the opportunity to say hi to a kid.

The minor league team will directly benefit from these things, but they will pay no part of his salary. They won't even help with housing. Instead, the major league team will pay his salary, and they have no incentive to increase it. After all, with only a small percentage of minor leaguers contributing at the big league level, it's in their best interest to pay minor leaguers as little as possible. Constantly in a battle with the MLBPA--which does not represent minor leaguers--they try to use almost all their resources on the big league budget.

While Mickey's at the field each day, Prom Queen goes to the grocery store. As she approaches the register, she takes the food stamps out of her purse, hoping that nobody will recognize her as a ballplayer's wife. Having paid for the food, she grabs her bags and quickly walks out with her head cast slightly towards the ground. More than ever, she misses the simplicity of her Cottonmouth youth with every step that she takes.

Posted by gbroshuis at 11:02 AM

2 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/10/2013, 11:42 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I said earlier the Wahoo players are housed with host families while in Pensacola.
Getting a start in sports is difficult when you start at the bottom. Years ago, when we hosted the Pensacola Open, I saw several young pro golfers sleeping in their car or a pup tent next to their car. Others were supported by golf sponsors...providing they used or wore the sponsors merchandise.

3 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/10/2013, 11:55 pm

I guess that is some of the high paying jobs Mr Studer is all ways talking about. The damn Hot dog man makes more than the 2nd Baseman at Stooderville.

4 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 12:20 am

2seaoat

Thirty years from now those kids are going to tell you that job was the best job they ever had.

5 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 12:31 am

2seaoat wrote:Thirty years from now those kids are going to tell you that job was the best job they ever had.

So will Studer

6 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 12:33 am

Sal

Sal

If someone offered me 20k to play baseball, I'd jump. 

But, then all I could do with with a 90 mph fast ball is foul it straight back. 

Throw me a breaking ball, asshole. 

lmao

7 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 12:37 am

2seaoat

I would have paid Mr. Studer for an opportunity......but after I broke both my radii in a basketball game.......I never could throw worth a damn.....still could hit.....but with no arm........it would be nothing but a fantasy.

8 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 12:40 am

2seaoat wrote:I would have paid Mr. Studer for an opportunity......but after I broke both my radii in a basketball game.......I never could throw worth a damn.....still could hit.....but with no arm........it would be nothing but a fantasy.

Where would you gotten the money to pay Studer??  I thought you had to work and support your people and get a education?

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 12/11/2013, 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

9 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 12:42 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Mr Ichi wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I would have paid Mr. Studer for an opportunity......but after I broke both my radii in a basketball game.......I never could throw worth a damn.....still could hit.....but with no arm........it would be nothing but a fantasy.

Where would you gotten the money?  I thought you had to work and support your people and get a education?

Seaoat just makes it up as he goes....

10 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 1:10 am

2seaoat

Where would you gotten the money to pay Studer?? I thought you had to work and support your people and get a education?

I did not need much money at 19.

11 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 10:26 am

Am I wrong to assume that many owners of AA baseball teams are making millions on the backs of under paid employees?  Is this an acceptable business model?  Owners that give millions to philanthropic causes while their own employees live on sub stand salaries?  Honest question.  I dont know much about the sports system.  I hope I am wrong.

Playing For Peanuts

Many minor leagues scrimp and save to survive

By Garrett Broshuis
March 31, 2010
E-mail Print

Somehow six players had crammed into the small two-bedroom apartment. Two slept in each bedroom, one slept in the living room, and another slept in a tiny den. All slept on air mattresses.

The apartment was in Norwich, Conn., then the home of the Giants' Double-A affiliate. An X-box noisily projected itself on a TV still displaying Walmart stickers; it would go back to the store just before the 90-day return policy expired. Empty McDonald's bags littered the floor, while an old Kara Monaco poster provided the only relief from the sterile whiteness of vacant walls.

To an outsider the setting might seem peculiar, but many minor leaguers live in such circumstances due to the strain of low salaries. If players choose not to cram together in an apartment, they often bunk with host families, as Barbara Rothstein can attest.

Rothstein, whose family served as a host for the Norwich club when it was a Yankees affiliate, lives with her husband in a ranch home on the outskirts of town. Their basement is littered with futons in various positions, monuments from their hosting days.

"We had 12 players, two wives and a baby staying with us all at once," Rothstein says. "We didn't charge them a dime. One month we had a $5,800 food bill and we tried collecting $20 from each, but some of them couldn't even afford that."

Rothstein is shocked there is less discussion about minor league salaries. Media attention focuses on major league salaries, which have risen exponentially in the last 35 years, but minor league salaries have barely budged.

"My first year in pro ball was 1974. I made $500 a month," said former Red Sox pitcher Bob Stanley, who now works as a private pitching coach. "When I got to Double-A, I made $1,000."

Today, many players receive only slightly more. In 2004, I made $850 a month. Fresh out of college, I thought I was rich. Then I realized that I had bills to pay. Luckily I had received a modest signing bonus that helped at first, but most players receive no such bonuses. Many are forced to ask their parents for help.

"My parents pay my phone bill, my car payment, and help us out with rent in the offseason," one Giants farmhand said recently. "I'm 25, married and living off of them. I wouldn't be able to play if they didn't help me."

With his wife on the team's insurance plan, premiums are deducted from his check in addition to taxes and clubhouse dues, resulting in a bimonthly check of around $308. And he is paid only during the five-month season, netting approximately $3,000 for the entire year. After receiving only a $2,500 bonus three years ago, he now has little choice but to ask his parents for help.

Skyrocketing Major League Salaries

When free agency came to baseball in 1975, it changed the face of the game, and it made the Major League Baseball Players Association into one of the most powerful labor unions in the world.

Major league salaries have since skyrocketed, from an average of $44,676 in 1975 to more than $3.2 million today. The minimum salary has also increased, from $16,000 to $400,000. While the rich are clearly getting much richer, the minor league player has been left behind, forcing many players to live on the verge of poverty.

A multitude of reasons exist for this situation. Chief among them is the large pool of players willing to do anything just for the opportunity. "I'd play for free," Giants minor leaguer Steve Palazzolo said. "It's harder to have that opinion the older you get, but yeah, I'd play for free. But I don't have a family to worry about."

Before signing with the Giants, Palazzolo played briefly in the Brewers organization and for three independent league teams. In 2004, he earned $600 a month playing in the independent Frontier League. Other independent leagues pay even less, with salaries averaging as low as $300 a month in the Continental League. This league even uses development players—players who actually pay for the opportunity to play, hoping to get noticed.

With so many players willing to play for little or no money, there is little incentive for owners to provide relief.

"Baseball can do whatever they want with minor league players' salaries," one minor league official said. "There are so many players that just want a chance."

Still, the situation may soon reach a breaking point. One minor leaguer in the Giants system could not afford to buy meals last season. Unable to pay his bills, he had resorted to credit cards, and the debt had piled up. So he forced himself to not eat until he reported to the clubhouse, stuffing down two mid-afternoon peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

"They bring in nutritionists and tell you to eat healthy. Sure!" Stanley said. "How are you supposed to eat healthy on $20 a day?"

Meal money will increase to $25 a day this season, but clubhouse dues are also increasing. Last year these mandatory dues reached $14 a day in Triple-A and $8 a day in the high Class A Carolina League.

Some officials are beginning to see problems. One minor league coach told me recently that he had two sons, one in the minor leagues and one in college. The one in college worked part-time at a grocery store, yet he made more money than the one playing professional baseball.

"It just doesn't make sense," he said. "They could easily afford an increase if they wanted, but they just don't want to do it. They'd rather spend that extra $150,000 on a big leaguer's salary."

12 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 10:31 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

P A T H E T I C These men need to grow up and get a productive job instead of being some owners trained monkey.

13 Food Stamps and Baseball: Empty Re: Food Stamps and Baseball: 12/11/2013, 11:19 am

2seaoat

P A T H E T I C These men need to grow up and get a productive job instead of being some owners trained monkey.

Tell that to Curtis Granderson who just signed with the Mets and played with my son in law in college.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum