Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kasich Grants Food Stamps to Whites, Denies Them to Minorities

+4
EmeraldGhost
gatorfan
2seaoat
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

He seems nice ....

In 2014, the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) had the option to waive time limits on food stamps for the entire state. Due to a struggling economy and high unemployment, Ohio had qualified for and accepted this statewide waiver from the US Department of Agriculture every year since 2007, including during most of Kasich’s first term as governor. But this time, Kasich rejected the waiver for the next two years in most of the state’s 88 counties. His administration did accept them for 16 counties in 2014 and for 17 counties in 2015. Most of these were rural counties with small and predominantly white populations. Urban counties and cities, most of which had high minority populations, did not get waivers.

The decision would result in a drastic downsizing of food aid in the state, but the administration moved with surprising speed given the enormity of the impact. “It was really fast,” says Kate McGarvey, deputy director of the Legal Aid Society of Columbus. In August 2013, she says, the legal services community had heard that Ohio qualified for a statewide waiver, and was setting up meetings with the ODJFS to discuss how the state might proceed. “Within a week or two, we were told, ‘It’s going to be a partial waiver, it’s already been submitted, it’s done,'” McGarvey says. “No advocates that I know of were given a chance to give feedback on the wisdom of the partial waiver.”

The policy went into effect in October 2013. By January—the three-month mark where those without waivers began losing their food stamps if they couldn’t meet the work requirement—it had become clear that the policy had spawned a stark racial disparity in food aid. Across the 16 counties the state had selected for waivers, about 94 percent of food stamp recipients were white. Overall in Ohio in December 2013—immediately before the new policy’s effects began to surface—food stamp recipients were 65 percent white.

By March 2014, six months into the new system, the six counties with the highest rate of terminating food stamps for able-bodied, childless adults were all counties populated mostly by minorities.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/09/law-john-kasich-wrote-now-keeping-food-stamps-minorities-ohio

2seaoat

It could be discrimination. It might be a number of other reasons we are unaware, but it certainly does not appear to be by accident.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:It could be discrimination.  It might be a number of other reasons we are unaware, but it certainly does not appear to be by accident.

By March 2014, six months into the new system, the six counties with the highest rate of terminating food stamps for able-bodied, childless adults were all counties populated mostly by minorities.

Whether they knew in advance that this would cause racial discrimination or not, they've had ample to time to recognize the effect and have done nothing to alleviate it.

gatorfan

Is it even possible for you to be objective? The selected county's were chosen due to higher unemployment rates. This only affects ABLE-BODIED people (without children BTW) who are able to work. If they are working part-time or participating in one of the many job training programs they remain eligible. If after a period of time they have proven to be too lazy then they get the boot.

But you choose to cherry pick again.

2seaoat

Blacks make up 12% of Ohio citizens. 35% of non white Ohio residents were reduced to 6% or one half the percentage of their population in Ohio. The question which is not answered were half of whites receiving food stamps before these changes now ineligible which would make the impact equal in percentages. We need to do a total number calculation, and if the goal was a reduction and those counties had the highest food stamp use both in white and non white populations, then the total numbers are important to understand if the reductions were in fact fair.

My gut feeling is this was intentional and racial based, but the stats given here alone make it difficult to determine the truth.

let me give an example

1 million people in Ohio were getting food stamps

In 61 counties 80% of food stamp use was involved, and 17 counties had 20 %.

So the state focused on reducing food stamps by 800k folks who were on Stamps and addressed those top counties which made the 80% mark., 600k of those were white, and 200k were non white. 75% of the cuts were white, and 25% of the cuts were non white.

It could absolutely be true that the top six counties of the 61 where these cuts were made adversely impacted non whites, but it could also be true that percentage wise more whites lost benefits than non whites as a percentage of the population. Much more in the way of data is needed, but again, on the surface it appears that non white populations were adversely impacted.

White Guilt Seaoat speaks again....

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Haven't researched this issue .... but at first glance I'd guess the selection of which counties to exempt had to do with the overall economic condition of those counties .... rural counties tend to lag in job growth.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

So a little bit of research (and having to sift out all the race-card noise) reveals Kasich extended the exemption to Ohio counties having an unemployment rate of over 120% of the national unemployment rate.

It was based on an economic number.  Nothing to do with race.    No story here folks, no "Mississippi Burning" or "Road to Selma" ... just the MSM & race-baiting liberals trying to create one by creating/manipulating a false narrative.

So .... moving on ....in other Ohio news: Kasich plans tax cuts, more aid to poor in upcoming budget

Ohioans will see a half-billion-dollar tax cut proposed when Gov. John Kasich unveils his two-year state budget proposal on Monday.

The Republican governor rolled out the first piece of his plan yesterday: eliminating state income taxes for 1 million small businesses, spurring them to reinvest and possibly create jobs, while also reducing income taxes for 3 million low-income and middle-class families.

And he wants the working poor to hang onto some state-subsidized child-care benefits longer instead of having them completely cut off as families make more money.

Follow @OhioPoliticsNow on Twitter

While most of Kasich’s plan remains under wraps, it is expected to be touted as “tax reform” that raises some taxes while lowering the income tax in order to get to the net $500 million decrease. The income tax already has been chopped by about $3 billion since Kasich has been in office.

Kasich’s sneak peek was embraced yesterday by those working to assist the poor.

Two standing ovations, and applause along the way, greeted the governor as he burnished his compassionate credo in remarks before the Ohio Association of Community Action Agencies’ winter conference.

“He means what he says,” said Phil Cole, executive director of the group. “He’s putting people first. The focus is on people, and I like that shift.”

The tax cuts for businesses and families would total nearly $1.1 billion over two years. Kasich did not say yesterday which taxes would be increased to offset those savings.But Scott Milburn, the governor’s communication director, said Kasich would seek an increase in the cigarette tax. Advocates have suggested a jump of $1 per pack. Higher oil-and-gas drilling taxes and other increases also are likely to emerge.

The administration also is touting savings through efficiency, such as a 10 percent reduction in the state payroll in the past four years, as well as extra revenue from a growing state economy.

Small businesses with less than $2 million in annual gross receipts would pay no income taxes, and an increase in personal income-tax exemptions would leave many of the working poor tax-free, Kasich said.

Most of the governor’s remarks, built atop his expansion of Medicaid to cover more than 450,000 additional low-income Ohioans, centered on public assistance and jobs for the needy.

The welfare system will become “person-centered,” he said, in a bid to stop dependency and joblessness from taking root in the young. People no longer will be “widgets.”

He would spend $14 million over two years to pay for an income-based expansion of child-care subsidies to reward cash-assistance recipients working to overcome poverty.

Kasich wants to move more people off public assistance and into jobs, with an initial focus on those ages 16 to 24 to “break the poverty cycle before it starts.” He would use $310 million a year in federal and state funds to help low-income people become self-sustaining.

Improved case management and an employment initiative by 2016 would focus on supporting at-risk youth, single parents, ex-felons and the homeless to help them begin work. Once the new setup for younger Ohioans has been in place for a year or so, it would be expanded to the state’s entire welfare population.

Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director of the Ohio Association of Foodbanks, said, “I think these are some of the boldest initiatives I have heard as it relates to transforming the current system.” She was excited by the focus on youth: “By the time some of these kids get to 18, it’s too late.”

Kasich took a hard line with county jobs-and-family-service agencies, saying they will have to meet higher expectations in achieving results for recipients or face having their funding transferred to a nonprofit agency, another county or the state.

“Those delivering it are interested in maintaining power or control, which leads to a government operation that cheats the taxpayer, and even more important, cheats the person who needs the help. This can’t stand,” he said.

Douglas Lumpkin, director of the state Office of Human Services Innovation, said counties “agree with the concept” of transforming assistance delivery. “This will assure better outcomes for the individual and the family,” he said.

Saying social services and government assistance for the needy are under attack, Kasich said he is making a stand for those willing to work to better themselves. He hopes lawmakers, many of them GOP conservatives, will agree.

“I’m beginning to see the rhetoric among my colleagues at the Statehouse changing a bit — a little more concern, a little more softness, a little fewer hard edges,” the governor said.

... just another mean-spirited, heartless, racist Republican, I s'pose. Rolling Eyes

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Oh, he "talks the talk", but he doesn't "walk the walk".

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:
2seaoat wrote:It could be discrimination.  It might be a number of other reasons we are unaware, but it certainly does not appear to be by accident.

Whether they knew in advance that this would cause racial discrimination or not, they've had ample to time to recognize the effect and have done nothing to alleviate it.

I skimmed the article.

From what I understand the change with the re-instatement of the work requirement to receive food stamps. Is that true?

If so, I presume that those now not receiving food stamps are those who refuse to work.

The 1996 Welfare Reform Act which was passed by the Gingrich House and reluctantly signed by President Clinton. That Act moved millions of people from RECEIVING tax payer money, to WORKING AND PAYING taxes.

Semi-retired President Obama REMOVED that requirement when he forced through the Trillion dollar Stimulus package.

Is that what was changed? Recipients are required to work?

Sal

Sal

The entire state qualifies for the waivers.

Just under two thirds of food stamp recipients are white.

Over 94% of the waivers went to white recipients.

Regardless of the intent, the effect remains the same, and Kasich has had ample time to correct it.

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:The entire state qualifies for the waivers.

Regardless of the intent, the effect remains the same, and Kasich has had ample time to correct it.

I skimmed the article.

From what I understand the change with the re-instatement of the work requirement to receive food stamps. Is that true?

If so, I presume that those now not receiving food stamps are those who refuse to work.

The 1996 Welfare Reform Act which was passed by the Gingrich House and reluctantly signed by President Clinton. That Act moved millions of people from RECEIVING tax payer money, to WORKING AND PAYING taxes.

Semi-retired President Obama REMOVED that requirement when he forced through the Trillion dollar Stimulus package.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

If all this is true,  with emphasis on if,  it's a good question. But if it's more partisan spin than truth, it's not a good question.

We need to find out which. And I'm too lazy to look it up.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5823062

Typically,low-income,able-bodied adults without children can receive food stamps for only three months in a three-year period,unless they are working or participating in a training or “workfare” program for at least 20 hours a week. But as part of the 2009 economic stimulus law,the federal government allowed states to suspend the normal work requirements for food stamps,formally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Nearly every state chose to do so.

The childless adults affected by the requirements comprise 10 percent of the total food stamp population,which was 46.5 million in June,the most recent month for which data are available.

Sal

Sal

i don't know what's so hard to understand.

The entire state qualifies for the waivers.

Why are the white people in Ohio so fucking lazy?

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

If all this is true,  with emphasis on if,  it's a good question.  But if it's more partisan spin than truth,  it's not a good question.

We need to find out which.  And I'm too lazy to look it up.

Everything I posted is 100% true.  I was hoping for confirmation that the change is in the work requirement but my good friend Salinsky seems reluctant, or refuses to answer.

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:I was hoping for confirmation that the change is in the work requirement but my good friend Salinsky seems reluctant, or refuses to answer.

Yes, you are correct, Markie.

And, over 94% of the waivers to that work requirement have gone to white people.

Why are white people so lazy, Markie?

Hahahahahahahahahaha ......

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:
Markle wrote:I was hoping for confirmation that the change is in the work requirement but my good friend Salinsky seems reluctant, or refuses to answer.

Yes, you are correct, Markie.

And, over 94% of the waivers to that work requirement have gone to white people.

Why are white people so lazy, Markie?

Hahahahahahahahahaha ......

Where is your proof?

From a RELIABLE source.

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:

Where is your proof?

From a RELIABLE source.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/08/food_stamp_discrimination_alle.html

Hahahahahahahahahahaha ....

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:He seems nice ....

In 2014, the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) had the option to waive time limits on food stamps for the entire state. Due to a struggling economy and high unemployment, Ohio had qualified for and accepted this statewide waiver from the US Department of Agriculture every year since 2007, including during most of Kasich’s first term as governor. But this time, Kasich rejected the waiver for the next two years in most of the state’s 88 counties. His administration did accept them for 16 counties in 2014 and for 17 counties in 2015. Most of these were rural counties with small and predominantly white populations. Urban counties and cities, most of which had high minority populations, did not get waivers.

The decision would result in a drastic downsizing of food aid in the state, but the administration moved with surprising speed given the enormity of the impact. “It was really fast,” says Kate McGarvey, deputy director of the Legal Aid Society of Columbus. In August 2013, she says, the legal services community had heard that Ohio qualified for a statewide waiver, and was setting up meetings with the ODJFS to discuss how the state might proceed. “Within a week or two, we were told, ‘It’s going to be a partial waiver, it’s already been submitted, it’s done,'” McGarvey says. “No advocates that I know of were given a chance to give feedback on the wisdom of the partial waiver.”

The policy went into effect in October 2013. By January—the three-month mark where those without waivers began losing their food stamps if they couldn’t meet the work requirement—it had become clear that the policy had spawned a stark racial disparity in food aid. Across the 16 counties the state had selected for waivers, about 94 percent of food stamp recipients were white. Overall in Ohio in December 2013—immediately before the new policy’s effects began to surface—food stamp recipients were 65 percent white.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/09/law-john-kasich-wrote-now-keeping-food-stamps-minorities-ohio

Please show us the source for the 94 percent figure for which there is no reference. The article comes from a far left Progressive site so where did they get the figure?

Gov. John Kasich’s administration will limit food stamps for more than 130,000 adults in all but a few economically depressed areas starting Jan. 1.

To qualify for benefits, able-bodied adults without children will be required to spend at least 20 hours a week working, training for a job, volunteering or performing a similar type of activity unless they live in one of 16 counties exempt because of high unemployment. The requirements begin next month; however, those failing to meet them would not lose benefits until Jan. 1.

“It’s important that we provide more than just a monetary benefit, that we provide job training, an additional level of support that helps put (food-stamp recipients) on a path toward a career and out of poverty,” said Ben Johnson, spokesman for the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

For years, Ohio has taken advantage of a federal waiver exempting food-stamps recipients from the work requirements that Kasich championed while U.S. House Budget Committee chairman during the mid-1990s. Kasich and former Rep. Bob Ney, R-Heath, co-sponsored an amendment requiring able-bodied recipients without dependents to work that was included in sweeping welfare-reform legislation adopted in 1996.

“The governor believes in a work requirement,” Kasich spokesman Rob Nichols said yesterday. “But when the economy is bad and people are hurting, the waiver can be helpful. Now, fortunately, Ohio’s economy is improving.”

More than 1.8 million Ohioans receive food stamps, with the average individual benefit about $132 a month. Of them, an estimated 134,000 adults in 72 Ohio counties will be subject to the work requirements, including 15,000 in Franklin County. They are ages 18 to 50, without children under 18, and deemed to be physically and mentally able to participate, Johnson said.

County officials who administer public assistance and advocates for the poor predict the requirement will take food stamps away from thousands of Ohioans.

“The rolls will go down because of this. Some people will leave because of the requirement, and some won’t be able to meet it. It will be similar to what we saw with (welfare) rolls,” said Joel Potts, executive director of the Ohio Job and Family Services Directors’ Association.

More than 100,000 Ohioans have lost cash assistance since the beginning of 2011 as part of the federal crackdown on work requirements.

“We don’t have nearly enough places for 15,000 people” to work, said Lance Porter, spokesman for the Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services. Many of the “able-bodied” food-stamp recipients in the Columbus area have disabilities and are seeking Supplemental Social Security, an application process that can take months, even years.

“We don’t oppose the requirement, but most of these people have no other income than food stamps. Getting them transportation and other help to participate in work activities costs money,” said Jack Frech, director of the Athens County Department of Job and Family Services. “We’ll have 1,000 people subject to this requirement and there is no way we will have work sites for them. Every work site we have is already filled up by people working for cash assistance.”

The announcement comes the same week as a federal report showing hunger persists in Ohio despite signs of economic improvement. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1 in 6 Ohio families faced hunger last year, the 10th highest rate in the nation. And over the past decade, the percentage of families forced to skip meals or cut back on what they eat has grown 6.3 percentage points, higher than in all but two other states.

Ohio officials learned they would continue to qualify for a federal waiver of the work requirement because the recession made jobs scarce, but the Kasich administration wants to exempt only those in 16 Ohio counties where the two-year average unemployment rate was more than 120 percent of the national rate, Johnson said.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/09/07/fit-no-kids-youll-have-to-work-for-food-stamps.html

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:
Markle wrote:

Where is your proof?

From a RELIABLE source.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/08/food_stamp_discrimination_alle.html

Hahahahahahahahahahaha ....

Still no source is there. Hahahahahahahahahahaha ....

Sal

Sal

But in the counties granted a work requirement waiver last year, white Ohioans accounted for 94.18 percent of all recipients.

Hahahahahahaha .....

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:But in the counties granted a work requirement waiver last year, white Ohioans accounted for 94.18 percent of all recipients.

Hahahahahahaha .....

You don't know what a source for that information would look like do you? You have no clue if it is accurate and worse, you do not care. It says what you like.

Once again....
Kasich Grants Food Stamps to Whites, Denies Them to Minorities Nothing%20plus%20nothing_zpsp5o32y9v

2seaoat

I personally will vote for Kasich, and this story does nothing to change my mind about this man, but Mr. Markle, Sal gave you a source, and you laughed at it. You did not take the time to find your sources and make a counter argument. You really have to step back and look at how you conducted yourself on this thread.....you are a lazy.....you simply want to cut and paste and take the path of least resistance......lazy is not a good substitute for knowledge and exchange of information.

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:
You don't know what a source for that information would look like do you?  You have no clue if it is accurate and worse, you do not care.  It says what you like.

I provided you with a source on more than one occasion, Ol' Man Markle.

The impetus is now on you to show that the figure I sourced is inaccurate.

Your flailing is unseemly but not unexpected.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum