Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDP predictions for tomorrow?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

boards of FL

boards of FL

Really can't wait until I can automate my strategy, though. TOS script team tells me that it is in the pipeline. Below was a fairly active point in the day in which my strategy alarms were firing.

GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 ZSKXztp

boards of FL

boards of FL

ElderRay chart on the bottom. (study) Bollinger bands on the chart. (strategy) Basically a KeyRevLE strategy on the chart, though I changed the script a bit (CustomeKeyRevLE), and a 4 tick profit target long exit. This is my typical chart layout every day. I modify the CustomKeyRevLE each day based upon the economic climate (number of bars to be activated, number of contracts to be purchased per entry, and number of long entries to be open at one time) such that the report is optimized from what I am seeing over the last 24 hours.

Margin Call

Margin Call

Does your strategy work on longer time-frame charts (15-minutes, hour, daily) if you raise your profit targets and stop-losses? That could eliminate you having to make so many trades. I'm a fan of making as few trades as possible, but I'm a bigger fan of doing whatever it takes to make money. If you are consistently making $300-$1,500/day then stick with it. If you are truly comfortable with the consistency of your strategy, then add size to your positions.

29GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/8/2013, 10:32 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:Does your strategy work on longer time-frame charts (15-minutes, hour, daily) if you raise your profit targets and stop-losses? That could eliminate you having to make so many trades. I'm a fan of making as few trades as possible, but I'm a bigger fan of doing whatever it takes to make money. If you are consistently making $300-$1,500/day then stick with it. If you are truly comfortable with the consistency of your strategy, then add size to your positions.

You could take this up to 5 minutes, but not any more than that.

Margin Call

Margin Call

boards of FL wrote:
Margin Call wrote:Does your strategy work on longer time-frame charts (15-minutes, hour, daily) if you raise your profit targets and stop-losses? That could eliminate you having to make so many trades. I'm a fan of making as few trades as possible, but I'm a bigger fan of doing whatever it takes to make money. If you are consistently making $300-$1,500/day then stick with it. If you are truly comfortable with the consistency of your strategy, then add size to your positions.

Why does your strategy only work on such a short time frame?

31GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/10/2013, 2:42 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Each chart frequency presents differing optimal strategies. And when I quoted $350 - $whatever per day, that was what my strategy produces if I were to be up 24/7 executing trades at every buy signal. I'm not, so I am not reaping that profit, hence why I want to automate my strategy. jI'm only pulling the trigger on my strategy signals during waking hours. Don't you employ strategy sets in TOS?

32GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/11/2013, 12:56 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

boards of FL wrote:
Margin Call wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Each chart frequency presents differing optimal strategies. And when I quoted $350 - $whatever per day, that was what my strategy produces if I were to be up 24/7 executing trades at every buy signal. I'm not, so I am not reaping that profit, hence why I want to automate my strategy. jI'm only pulling the trigger on my strategy signals during waking hours. Don't you employ strategy sets in TOS?

I have more so in the past when I traded more actively. I do look at the VIX timing strategy on a Daily and hourly chart. I'm more of a swing trader now. I try to limit day trading to very active stocks. Fewer trades = less stress...and you can get some monster gains instead of what seems like picking up nickels in front of a steamroller, as they say. I don't like staring at the screen all day either. I used to, though.

I rely on studies like pivot points, moving averages, as well as, candlesticks and volume. Oh, and my gut. I also have several scans that I run throughout the day.

Don't know if you saw, but the ZNGA breakout is a thing a beauty....textbook.

33GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/14/2013, 9:25 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Having a good week so far. What are you expecting for tomorrow? Pull back, or will this rally continue?

https://i.imgur.com/4HZAlux.png

34GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/15/2013, 8:39 am

Margin Call

Margin Call

boards of FL wrote:Having a good week so far. What are you expecting for tomorrow? Pull back, or will this rally continue?

https://i.imgur.com/4HZAlux.png

Good job.

I can't remember when the market has been this boring. It's like summer trading in March. If we pullback, I imagine it will be a very shallow move.

Not much trading for me.....a losing trade on AAPL (I have vowed to stop trading it for a while), I reloaded my ZNGA position on the gap fill, and I have a small position in GLD. I think I'll head to the beach today.

35GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 3:46 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

Heads up, boards. Sunday night futures action is back.

36GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 4:11 pm

ever wonder why the stock market is doing so good when the economy isnt? You should bubble boys.

37GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 4:25 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

Chrissy wrote:ever wonder why the stock market is doing so good when the economy isnt? You should bubble boys.

Do you have any clue what corporate earnings have to to with stock valuation?

GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Fredgraph

38GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 4:42 pm

Margin Call wrote:
Chrissy wrote:ever wonder why the stock market is doing so good when the economy isnt? You should bubble boys.

Id like you to explain it all. just make it simple ok smarty. why is the economy doing so bad and the stock market up so high. make it down low so us little people can understand it.

Thanks

39GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 5:05 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

Trashy Hooker wrote:
Margin Call wrote:

Id like you to explain it all. just make it simple ok smarty. why is the economy doing so bad and the stock market up so high. make it down low so us little people can understand it.

Thanks

The problem is that I don't agree that the economy is performing that badly.

We have record GDP, record tax receipts, record corporate earnings and the employment situation is greatly improved.

Among other inputs, a stock's price is the net present value of all future earnings. Simply put, if earnings are improving, the stock price will follow (or sometime lead).

40GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 5:18 pm

Margin Call wrote:
Trashy Hooker wrote:
Margin Call wrote:

Thanks

We have record GDP, record tax receipts, record corporate earnings and the employment situation is greatly improved.

Among other inputs, a stock's price is the net present value of all future earnings. Simply put, if earnings are improving, the stock price will follow (or sometime lead).

so a economy to where the profit of companies means the economy is good to you? You talke about record reciepts, record corporate earnings but then you kinda flop on the employment situation whih tells me thats not high on your priorties list os a good economy.

you be one of those capitilist off the backs of the people people and hiden it huh...... hmm mmmm Wink

41GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 5:52 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

Trashy Hooker wrote:
Margin Call wrote:
Trashy Hooker wrote:
Margin Call wrote:

Thanks

so a economy to where the profit of companies means the economy is good to you? You talke about record reciepts, record corporate earnings but then you kinda flop on the employment situation whih tells me thats not high on your priorties list os a good economy.

you be one of those capitilist off the backs of the people people and hiden it huh...... hmm mmmm Wink

By definition, that's how capitalism works.

42GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/17/2013, 5:57 pm

Margin Call wrote:
Trashy Hooker wrote:
Margin Call wrote:
Trashy Hooker wrote:
Margin Call wrote:

Thanks

By definition, that's how capitalism works.

oh this trashy hooker understands capitalism. Wink

Just makin sure your on the level level.... with where you stand.

Im not so sure your fellow anti capitilist 99 percenters will like it ha ha

But it does amuse me that the bubble lefty boys support a big increase in revenues for corporations. Embarassed

it makes me giggle actually. lol

Cheers Cheers to you making a profit off the backs of the dumb.... Laughing

43GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 11:58 am

Margin Call

Margin Call

Boards, I'm very interested to see how your strategy has been working today with the big gap down cum reversal.

44GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 2:58 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:Boards, I'm very interested to see how your strategy has been working today with the big gap down cum reversal.

Another good day. No losing trades so far today.

https://i.imgur.com/Dom5r1h.jpg

45GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 4:14 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

boards of FL wrote:
Margin Call wrote:Boards, I'm very interested to see how your strategy has been working today with the big gap down cum reversal.

Good job. Would using a trailing stop increase your profits (especially on a day like today with big moves)?

46GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 4:28 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Good job. Would using a trailing stop increase your profits (especially on a day like today with big moves)?

I may give that a try tomorrow. My buy indicator isn't looking for any sort of long term trend though. It merely shows me where there are turning points on a one minute or perhaps five minute chart, and says nothing about what is happening on a wider scale.

That said, I do see that TOS has a trailing stop long exit strategy (TrailingStopLX), so I will give that a try tomorrow.

Edit: just added the trailing stop long exit strategy and ran a report of the last 24 hours. If automated, I would have lost $850. My current strategy nets a $550 profit in the same report. I didn't play with the settings much, though. I'll have a look at this later when I am home and see if I can work the trailing stop in.

47GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 4:39 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

Do you ever short?

Also, if you monitor things like $TICK, you might be able to stay in some trades longer. Momentum can lead to bigger gains.

However, I love the simplicity of your trading style and it definitely works.

48GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 4:52 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:Do you ever short?

Also, if you monitor things like $TICK, you might be able to stay in some trades longer. Momentum can lead to bigger gains.

However, I love the simplicity of your trading style and it definitely works.

I do short form time to time, though it is based on nothing more than gut feeling. I still have yet to find a good short entry strategy on TOS.

If I'm able to keep this up for another month or so, I plan on doubling to 4 contracts at a time.

49GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 9:11 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

Does you're strategy only work on /ES?

50GDP predictions for tomorrow? - Page 2 Empty Re: GDP predictions for tomorrow? 3/18/2013, 9:21 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:Does you're strategy only work on /ES?

I suspect as much. Never tested it on anything else.

If you are familiar with strategy sets, load up the following and have a look for yourself:

KeyRevLE
ProfitTargeLX (I set this to 4 ticks. length = 1)
StopLossLX (I set this to 8 ticks)

That's it. For global settings, I set entries at 2 contracts but allow for two positions to be open in the same direction - meaning, I can get up to two entry signals before getting an exit, but no more.

Once you overlay this strategy set on your chart, simply pull up any stock symbol. You will see all of the buy and sell signals overlaid. Right click on a buy or sell signal and then select "Show Report" and that will tell you your P/L over the last 48 hours (assuming you are looking at a 1 minute chart) if you were to execute every trade that the strategy calls for. Play around with the profit target, stop loss, and length of the entry strategy that maximizes your profit. That is usually what I do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum