Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A message for Eric.

+5
boards of FL
Nekochan
Joanimaroni
Sal
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:41 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

He has already told us that he is an agnostic. I am the atheist that W_T_M keeps referring to, so if yall want to criticize either of us, by all means knock yourself out. We are adults and can take it.

I wouldn't even know how to criticize either of you. Or to ridicule you.
The fact is you two and me and Eric and everybody else on this forum and on this planet are all in the same boat. None of us has any clue. lol

So what I don't get is why anybody would want to criticize or ridicule another.

Last edited by Bob on 2/11/2013, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

52A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:42 pm

W_T_M wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
W_T_M wrote:
Start with your buddy GR.

His nose went way outta joint and up my ass because I refused to explain or defend my faith in God.

Funny....I didn't see any of you pious folk jumping in to defend MY faith, but now you're outraged...?

Pharisee.

There you go again, I was not in any way attempting to get you to defend you religion, I was questioning your stupid post about firing the pope. Nothing more, nothing less. I cannot help it if you read something into my posts as well as others that was not intended. You have a real comprehension issue.

Good Lord you're stupid.

You got pissed off several months ago when I refused to defend my faith, remember...? Then you threatened me with yet a different link to my personal life....?

Your question was yet another of the dumbass things you do because you cannot stop stalking me.

It was pretty obvious I was being sarcastic, inferring that GOD allowed him to resign before GOD FIRED him, you idiot.

It was also obvious what I asked Eric, but you twisted it to make it sound like I was accusing Eric. Wrong again.

Yeah, we all see who has a problem with reading comprehension.

You think you know me, I've got news for ya. You do not know jack shit. I was not pissed off. I cannot even remember the last time I was pissed. If you think you are capable of reading someone's emotion in a written statement, then you are delusional.

53A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:43 pm

Bob wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

He has already told us that he is an agnostic. I am the atheist that W_T_M keeps referring to, so if yall want to criticize either of us, by all means knock yourself out. We are adults and can take it.

The fact is you two and me and Eric and everybody else on this forum and on this planet are all in the same boat. None of us has any clue. lol

Thank you!

54A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:45 pm

Bob wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Reality is a collective hunch.....Lily Tomlin.

55A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:46 pm

I'm am atheist too... and no fan of organized religion. So much so that the topic doesn't interest me.

Sal must have residual issues and hostilities. Not a becoming trait.

56A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:48 pm

PkrBum wrote:I'm am atheist too... and no fan of organized religion. So much so that the topic doesn't interest me.

You could reload that and shoot it at just about every poster on this forum.

57A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:49 pm

Sal

Sal

[quote="Bob"]
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

WTF are you talking about?

I didn't criticize or ridicule Yo.

I criticized and ridiculed the church for its depraved behavior.

Yo inserted himself personally into the conversation.

I never mentioned him until he said he was offended and leaving.

58A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:50 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
That's there some kinda all-powerful (or very powerful) force for good in this universe of which were somehow a small part.[/font]

I bet if you sat down all the people in the world who call themselves catholics, and you could really get inside their minds with truth serum,
I think you'd discover most of them would have the same concept. They might have different words to describe it than you used. But what they're feeling would not be much different.

And if your beef is the dogma and the "club", the fact is the dogma and the "club" also applies to the political parties, including the democrat one that you don't seem to have the same beef with. lol

59A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:54 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:
That's there some kinda all-powerful (or very powerful) force for good in this universe of which were somehow a small part.[/font]

I bet if you sat down all the people in the world who call themselves catholics, and you could really get inside their minds with truth serum,
I think you'd discover most of them would have the same concept. They might have different words to describe it than you used. But what they're feeling would not be much different.

And if your beef is the dogma and the "club", the fact is the dogma and the "club" also applies to the political parties, including the democrat one that you don't seem to have the same beef with. lol

No, Bob.

You're not getting it.

I don't have any beef with anything anyone chooses to believe.

My beef is with what the church and its leadership has done in the past and continues to do to this day.

It's the way they behave, not what they believe.

60A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:56 pm

[quote="Sal"]
Bob wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

WTF are you talking about?

I didn't criticize or ridicule Yo.

I criticized and ridiculed the church for its depraved behavior.

Yo inserted himself personally into the conversation.

I never mentioned him until he said he was offended and leaving.

GR has reading comprehension issues compounded by blind hatred he has no qualms in sharing.

And, yes...your OP and such were targeting an institution and it's efforts to keep secret their atrocious track record on dealing with pedo priests.

Eric took it personally, and GR made it into something very personal that was based on faulty reading comprehension.

Last edited by W_T_M on 2/11/2013, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

61A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 5:56 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:

Meh.

Not so much.

I'm no harder on the Catholic Church than I am on the modern U.S. "conservative" movement.

They're both scourges on society.

62A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 6:04 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

My beef is with what the church and its leadership has done in the past and continues to do to this day.

To only emphasize the bad is way too simplistic. Especially for someone as smart as you are. The Catholic Church (and this goes for all organized religion) has both done harm and done good. To even attempt to flesh that out in any meaningful way is beyond the scope of anything we will ever write here. It requires a lot more minds doin the contemplatin and researchin and history tellin than just ours are capable of.
But if we had the result of all that in front of us, I guarantee you it would reveal both good and bad, both harm and benefit.

63A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 6:13 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:

To only emphasize the bad is way too simplistic. Especially for someone as smart as you are. The Catholic Church (and this goes for all organized religion) has both done harm and done good. To even attempt to flesh that out in any meaningful way is beyond the scope of anything we will ever write here. It requires a lot more minds doin the contemplatin and researchin and history tellin than just ours are capable of.
But if we had the result of all that in front of us, I guarantee you it would reveal both good and bad, both harm and benefit.

Organized religion is a form of tribalism that allows people to band together and feel more righteous and powerful than the heathens.

It's for cowards and the weak-minded.

Yes, religions do both positive and negative things.

I'm convinced, however, that organized religion is a net negative for societies.

All that aside, a child-molesting ex-Nazi who was promoted from a position where he was in charge of covering up child abuse is retiring from the papacy.

I think that's enough for one snarky thread.

64A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 6:20 pm

Sal

Sal

[quote="Bob"]
Sal wrote:
Especially for someone as smart as you are.

Actually Bob, I think for a guy who is as smart as you are, you've taken a precarious position here that you would not normally take.

I understand that Yo is your friend, and you're hurt to see him offended.

But, on a no holds barred forum where everything else is fair game, to demand Catholicism be placed off limits is juvenile at best.

And, for you to provide cover for him is beneath you.

65A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 6:25 pm

I read on the internet, or as I call it...the truth machine... that God had actually allowed the Pope to tender his letter of resignation before he was to be ousted by Michael and his SWAT team in what could be called a minor shuffling of who gets to be infallible in the eyes of the cult.

Isn't it time for a Black Pope...?

Hispanic maybe...? They are a very loyal demographic.

66A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:04 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

Organized religion is a form of tribalism that allows people to band together and feel more righteous and powerful than the heathens.

It's for cowards and the weak-minded.

Yes, religions do both positive and negative things.

I'm convinced, however, that organized religion is a net negative for societies.

All that aside, a child-molesting ex-Nazi who was promoted from a position where he was in charge of covering up child abuse is retiring from the papacy.

I think that's enough for one snarky thread.

But it's also my very good friend who is my yard sale partner.
He's as smart as you are and you'll just have to take my word on that.
For him, Catholicism is not just a religion. It's a way of life that he's had all his life. It grounds him. Both of them (his wife too). What I've seen it do for them more than anything is give them the emotional stability they needed to raise a down syndrome child who just turned 21. And to be able to give him the care and love he will need until they die.
You might call it an emotional crutch and I wouldn't necessarily argue with that. Because I'm convinced (after lifelong consideration of all this, pro and con) that very many people need that crutch.
You probably don't agree and that's fine. But it does work for them and I'm not convinced their lives would have been as good without it.
That's all that really matters about religion. The ritual and traditions and the dogma are just something for that to hang it's hat on.

67A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:10 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

Actually Bob, I think for a guy who is as smart as you are, you've taken a precarious position here that you would not normally take.

I understand that Yo is your friend, and you're hurt to see him offended.

But, on a no holds barred forum where everything else is fair game, to demand Catholicism be placed off limits is juvenile at best.

And, for you to provide cover for him is beneath you.

No what I'm telling you now is a result of my thinking about these things all my life. Way the hell before just today and just now. And that's because this topic is THE most fascinating thing of all to me and always has been.

68A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:13 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Oh and I don't think anything should be "placed off limits". Everything I've revealed about myself should be proof of that. lol
But I do think sometimes we need to censor ourselves. I do that when I'm talking to my friend I just told you about. Because to do otherwise would serve no good purpose.

69A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:14 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:

But it's also my very good friend who is my yard sale partner.
He's as smart as you are and you'll just have to take my word on that.
For him, Catholicism is not just a religion. It's a way of life that he's had all his life. It grounds him. Both of them (his wife too). What I've seen it do for them more than anything is give them the emotional stability they needed to raise a down syndrome child who just turned 21. And to be able to give him the care and love he will need until they die.
You might call it an emotional crutch and I wouldn't necessarily argue with that. Because I'm convinced (after lifelong consideration of all this, pro and con) that very many people need that crutch.
You probably don't agree and that's fine. But it does work for them and I'm not convinced their lives would have been as good without it.
That's all that really matters about religion. The ritual and traditions and the dogma are just something for that to hang it's hat on.

Again, I wasn't attacking Yo.

I have the utmost respect for him, and he's free to believe whatever he chooses.

I am attacking the corruption of the institution and its leadership.

I understand all about the emotional crutch.

I still go to mass once or twice a year when I go home out of respect for my parents, and I actually am comforted by the ritual and the ceremony.

That doesn't change a thing about how I feel about the institution and its leadership.

70A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:19 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

Again, I wasn't attacking Yo.

I have the utmost respect for him, and he's free to believe whatever he chooses.

I am attacking the corruption of the institution and its leadership.

I understand all about the emotional crutch.

I still go to mass once or twice a year when I go home out of respect for my parents, and I actually am comforted by the ritual and the ceremony.

That doesn't change a thing about how I feel about the institution and its leadership.

I'm guessing you would never say to your parents the things you said in that deleted thread. So why would you want to say it here knowing that there are people reading it who think exactly like your parents?

71A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:22 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:

I'm guessing you would never say to your parents the things you said in that deleted thread. So why would you want to say it here knowing that there are people reading it who think exactly like your parents?

Well, my parents know exactly how I feel about the church.

As to whether I would use the same verbiage, if we're going to relegate ourselves to only what we'd be comfortable saying to our mothers, ...

... well, this forum is gonna get real boring real fast.

lol

And, Yo ain't my mama.

72A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:36 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hey we just have a different take on all this. That's not breaking news.

Hell, if anything will continue to be argued and debated and thought about until the very last one of us breathes his/her last breath, it's gonna be religion. That debate will always remain with us. The fact that there can be no resolution to it or agreement about it goes a long way towards defining who and what we are. And that's as it should be.

73A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:43 pm

You should read WEARs facebook page comments on the pope..
I went to catholic school when I was younger and never could understand some of the tales coming from those people..
I thought the last pope was a genuine good man, the one now always seemed evil to me for some reason..

74A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 7:50 pm

Bob wrote:Hey we just have a different take on all this. That's not breaking news.

Hell, if anything will continue to be argued and debated and thought about until the very last one of us breathes his/her last breath, it's gonna be religion. That debate will always remain with us. The fact that there can be no resolution to it or agreement about it goes a long way towards defining who and what we are. And that's as it should be.

There's one God, who is all knowing and powerful, but thousands of religions and sects...?

This argument has been going on since Moses was a road guard and Elijah over-cooked that side of beef.

Spirituality is a completely different issue, and religion is not always in agreement.

75A message for Eric. - Page 3 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 8:00 pm

2seaoat

Eric,
None of my business, but if you understand matthew 6 you will understand that your direct connection will not be diminished by folks who claim that you have to communicate on a certain wave length, or that no wave length exists.......it is very important not to be angry and forgive those who somehow wish to belittle, or try to diminish......this is a core belief, and it is difficult at times, but your words are usually wise, do not let your core beliefs be diminished by those who need you to remain calm.....your choice, but I simply smile when people question my faith.....I have certainty which matters not what other folks think.

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Prayer5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
but deliver us from the evil one.[b]’
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum