Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A message for Eric.

+5
boards of FL
Nekochan
Joanimaroni
Sal
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:15 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

W_T_M wrote:Onward Christian Soldiers.

Or "Allah Akbar". Depending on what part of the world I was born into, yes it would be one or the other. lol

102A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:21 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But if I was born on that beach depicted in my avatar, lord only knows what that belief system would be when I saw the ocean splashing through that hole in that rock every few seconds. Never stopping since that rock got there. And the realization that the ocean would still be splashing into that hole in that rock when your great great great great grandchildren leave this earth might really twist my mind. Who knows what I might have ended up believing.
Unfortunately there is no mention of purple sand in the Bible or the Koran so that's not really of much help to me.

103A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:26 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
I have a tendency to want to lump religion and spirituality and philosophy all together. And since there is no all-encompassing term in the language, at least as I'm aware of, I use "religion" to substitute for that.

The reason I don't make the distinction others do, is I see all of it leading to the same thing (and when I include philosophy I mean only the part of philosophy which addresses what religion and spirituality do).

What it all is to me, is an inate desire, a need actually, for human beings to want to know what is not knowable.
And that in no way carries any negative connotation for me. Why wouldn't we? Our curiousity and our need for knowledge is our nature. It's as great a need as the sustenance we need to sustain our lives.

BUT, I'm convinced that what our reality is probably more than anything else, is that we have that same need to know what the very nature of our existence is when that knowledge has not ever, is not now, and likely will not ever be ours to possess.
And even a recognition of that is not going to change anything. We still have the need and the desire to know and always will.

SO, religion, spirituality, philosophy and whatever else we come up with, for me is all a manifestation of that same thing.

I find very little to quibble with you about spirituality and philosophy.

When you add organized religion into the mix, my belief is that it takes an inevitably very ugly turn.

As I've said before, religion is a form of tribalism, and as such, brings with it all of the foibles and defects that infect all human institutions - greed, intolerance, hatred, and violence.

The Catholic Church could be reformed in theory, but they are moving in the opposite direction.

104A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:26 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

On that note I'm going to bed. But before I do I'm going to take time to upload the video I took of that ocean splashing through that hole in that rock on that beach for you to contemplate. Because there are no words which can do justice to it. No matter which or how many prophets might try.
I'll post one more time with that link when the thing finishes uploading.

105A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:34 pm

I'd like to say my post about the Catholic religion the other day was based on my life experiences as a Catholic. I have every right to express my opinion as to what I endured as a child and the Catholic church. It is my opinion and if anybody is offended by it ...well, that 's too bad. It's the truth just as it is the truth as to what the Catholic Church leaders are culpable of regarding the sexual abuse of children. It's horrendous what they did...absolutely horrendous and most people don't know the extent of the coverup. It's been going on for hundreds of years.Yes, that long and Catholics just turned a blind eye. How can anybody defend that? There are millions of good Catholics and people but the facts are what they did is so morally and criminally wrong, it boggles the mind. Every good Catholic in this country should denounce what they did and make sure nothing like that ever happens again. The only people who have a right to be pissed off is the victims.

106A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:39 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Shit that video aint on my phone anymore. Technology sucks.

But I did find this picture. It's my Catholic friend's son with his new puppy.
If Matthew, Luke, John or Mohammed can write words to explain this picture then they're better men than I am cause I wouldn't even attempt it. In fact I don't even need any lousy words to go with it. The picture is enough for me.

A message for Eric. - Page 5 Kevdog10

107A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:45 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:Shit that video aint on my phone anymore. Technology sucks.

If Matthew, Luke, John or Mohammed can write words to explain this picture then they're better men than I am cause I wouldn't even attempt it. In fact I don't even need any lousy words to go with it. The picture is enough for me.

A boy and his dog ....

.... who can argue with that?

108A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:47 pm

I'm lost here? What does this picture have to do w/ the Catholic Church?

109A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/11/2013, 11:56 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:

This isn't the "catholic church thread". That one is the one that got deleted and the one that replaced it.
This is the one about how we're all lost. So don't feel alone. lol

110A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 12:12 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Found it. Put it on full screen cause it's HD. And have your sound on.

When you're standing on the spot I was on to take the video, the purple sand is under your feet.
The ocean comes through that rock with every wave (about every 20 seconds or so).
When I was there I had the entire beach to myself. Not another soul was anywhere in sight. It was about 65 degrees.
And no, dreamsglore, this doesn't have anything to do with the catholic church either. Or any other church. Or atheism or agnosticism or spirituality or philosophy or anything else. It's just what it is and there is no other explanation for it. And none is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8fGHjJql0&feature=youtu.be

111A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 12:18 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Oh, good grief. I can't believe I leave for a few hours and this is what I come back to. I don't even know what the other thread was about, but I am sick that it came to Eric wanting to leave the forum.

It's not the religion; it's the PRACTICE of the religion, in every single case...all religions...all sects...even aethism or agnosticism or Deism or Buddhism. If your religion makes you intolerant of others, it's probably either the teaching or your interpretation of it that is faulty. If your religion doesn't help you connect with your own spirituality, it's either not teaching you or you're resisting it because of your failure to live up to what you believe in your heart. Because no religion is perfect, just as no human being is perfect. That's why we PRACTICE. That's why we have rituals.

112A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 12:24 am

It had nothing to do w/ Eric personally but if I were still a practicing Catholic, I'd have to say people were right and the Catholic Church needed a lot of changing w/ it's leaders and I'd be screaming for it.

113A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 12:24 am

Sal

Sal

Floridatexan wrote:Oh, good grief. I can't believe I leave for a few hours and this is what I come back to. I don't even know what the other thread was about, but I am sick that it came to Eric wanting to leave the forum.

It's not the religion; it's the PRACTICE of the religion, in every single case...all religions...all sects...even aethism or agnosticism or Deism or Buddhism. If your religion makes you intolerant of others, it's probably either the teaching or your interpretation of it that is faulty. If your religion doesn't help you connect with your own spirituality, it's either not teaching you or you're resisting it because of your failure to live up to what you believe in your heart. Because no religion is perfect, just as no human being is perfect. That's why we PRACTICE. That's why we have rituals.

You're close, but not quite there.

Religion is based on and fosters intolerance.

It's human nature.

Spirituality is supposed to transcend that.

Organized religion embraces it.

114A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 12:25 am

Sal

Sal

Dreamsglore wrote:It had nothing to do w/ Eric personally

Exactly.

115A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 11:58 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sal wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:Oh, good grief. I can't believe I leave for a few hours and this is what I come back to. I don't even know what the other thread was about, but I am sick that it came to Eric wanting to leave the forum.

You're close, but not quite there.

Religion is based on and fosters intolerance.

It's human nature.

Spirituality is supposed to transcend that.

Organized religion embraces it.

Sal, I was also brought up Catholic, and the Catholic church played a huge role in my upbringing. But it was the exclusion of people of other faiths or no faith which led me to separate myself from it. I've attended many other churches throughout the years, and I do find it uplifting, but spirituality is much larger than any imperfect organized religion, because these are institutions of fallible humans. I believe we're living in a dream, while the reality is "in the pasture". And I also believe we're all connected...universal consciousness, if you will. And the great connector is love, while the great destroyer is the absence of love. Carl Jung said that the absence of morality is at the core of all mental illness. Organized religion, for all its failings, brings people together with the common goal of finding spirituality...unfortunately, that goal often gets perverted, but it's only because humans are imperfect. Spirituality is a personal journey, but sometimes it helps to have other, like-minded people around to help.

I saw something recently that gave me a chuckle. It has to do with the poem "Footprints". You know, there are no footprints there because the Lord was carrying you...but those skid marks? That's where He was dragging your sorry ass.

116A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 12:30 pm

Yella

Yella

Dreamsglore wrote:

I'm tempted, Dreams, but I will NOT give you my view.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

117A message for Eric. - Page 5 Empty Re: A message for Eric. 2/12/2013, 12:48 pm

I think downs kids are the closest thing there is to angels on earth. My brother and sil were given a high percentage that there first child could be downs (he wasn't) but I eased their worry by telling them my experience working in hospitals.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum