Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Navy Point. Adventure

+5
knothead
Nekochan
PBulldog2
Jake92
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 3:59 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:By the way, Eric. Did you know Cabo Wabo is BOTH the name of a tequilla AND the name of a chain of nightclubs? And both were the brainchild of the rock musician who made this record...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10X3zJpMDMo

It was the title of a song first ...

52Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:00 pm

Bob wrote:
Jake92 wrote:I stopped along the side of I-17 in AZ once and a dang scorpion walked in front of me when I had my pants down using paper towels to wipe.. That was bad enough, but then I heard a rattle.. Good thing no other cars were around.. LOL

Wow now that's intense. I tried to do a #2 on the side of the road one time but never again. When I squatted down I needed one arm to balance me and one arm to wipe and discovered you have to be a contortionist to do that.

Nahhh, no contortionism necessary to learn to squat proper. Just takes practice, and since I've been doing it since I was potty trained, happily I am pretty good at it. That being said, about 99% of the times I squat it's just to pee, but there are trade secrets on how NOT to pee on your pant legs or boots.

Funny how different people are... One of the requirements I look for in a place whenever I move is whether or not I can pee on my own property without having the law called, and if I can run around nekkid without burning the neighbors' eyeballs out. Shocked

OH, but Jake will appreciate that when I was working for the Forest Service, I temporarily got partnered with a city-type gal, to train her. We got up on the mountain to where we were to work for the day and she asked me where and how she was supposed to "go tinkle" as she so delicately put it, at which point I internally groaned yet again at what a damn greenhorn I was stuck with. Anyhow, I told her she needed to go behind a stump, log, tree, boulder or some brush. Then she gets real uncomfortable and asks, "Ummm.... wh.... what, umm, what am I supposed to use to... umm, wipe?" (and she DID whisper the word, "wipe"). While we did all carry biodegradable TP both in our rigs and in our packs, I was already fed up with this over-book-schooled city girl and had no interest in properly burying her TP for her, since that would be the next thing I'd have to advise her about, then demonstrate by example. So, I told her to grab a leaf or two and do it the old fashioned way like the rest of us did (which we most certainly had done our fair share of). She stood frozen in her tracks, staring at me for a while.

Finally it occurred to me to advise this dummass to NOT squat on, grab and/or wipe with Poison Oak. So, being the overly book-educated smarty pants that she was, I inquired, "Hey, you know what Poison Oak looks like??" She said yes, of course in a condescending tone, just as I was reaching for a Sierra Nevada ID book to show photos to her. She wanted to be bitchy about it, so I thought, F*** her if'n she gets Poison Oak on her hoo-hoo and her ass! And I'm sure you can imagine what transpired next. Not only did she squat on it and get it all over her ass, but she also grabbed some leaves (they're so PRETTY!!) and wiped her hoo-haa with them.

We got half way down to the bottom of the piece of timber we were traversing and inspecting that day, and she began squirming around. I knew then what she'd done, but inquired what was wrong. She informed me that her (whispered) "female parts" were burning and itching, as was her "bottom." It was difficult for me not to ask if she had somehow acquired a sexually transmitted disease just to see the look on her face and to hear her /horrified/ response, but somehow I controlled my bad self. lol. Instead, I told her that she'd squatted on and wiped with Poison Oak. Bitch actually argued with me. I told her that was fine, but we at a minimum needed to get her back up to the top of the property we were on so I could take a look at it and figure out next steps, unless she was feeling tightness in her chest, or any other such thing.

So we humped it back up to the rig, and it took me a while to convince her that, yes, ma'am, we are IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, and I am your First Responder. As such, YES, you need to show me your ass so that I can determine what needs done next. (Damn city people!). She had a pretty good rash after it got irritated by her Levis coming back up the hill, and I was sure that her hoo-ha wasn't feeling too good at all. Covering up the name of the poisonous plant, I got out my Sierra Nevada ID book and showed her the picture of Poison Oak and asked her if that was what she'd wiped with. Her eyes popped out in surprise and she exclaimed, "YES!! HOW DID YOU KNOW??!" I uncovered the name of the plant and told her that she'd squatted and wiped in Poison Oak. She shut up on that subject but insisted upon being taken ALL THE WAY back down to the station (4-1/2 hour drive) so that from there she could go to the hospital (another 3-1/2 hour drive). She quit shortly after that... couldn't hack it. Good riddance.

Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Hiney

53Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:02 pm

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote:I knew that I would, and I most certainly do giggle and think, "Heh, Bob's got his piece out and he's peeeeeein'!!!" when I see that picture.

It took him a while to find it too...

What you don't see is his magnifying glass and tweezers Razz

Good to see another joining in on the juvenile sense of humor schtuff, EE!

Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Pigtaillaugh

54Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:04 pm

Bob wrote:In all honest, I think the only thing we better leave at Navy Point is our footprints. I'm too old for a public indecency charge. lol

Are there that many people out there?? ...homes, kids and such?

55Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:13 pm

riceme wrote:
Bob wrote:In all honest, I think the only thing we better leave at Navy Point is our footprints. I'm too old for a public indecency charge. lol

Are there that many people out there?? ...homes, kids and such?

It is a 2.5 mile strip of land on Bayou Grande with houses across the road. The story I heard was that there were civilians living on the Navy Base... or maybe Navy Personnel... but the Navy wanted them off... so, they developed Navy Point. All the waterfront was undeveloped and there are alleyways behind the houses where the utilities were run and garbage men roam.

56Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:16 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

It was the title of a song first ...

Sammy Hagar, who later produced the tequilla (and the nightclub chain with the same name) was a successful solo artist and then joined Van Halen as lead singer after David Lee Roth left. That's when Hagar wrote the song and Van Halen recorded it.

This is Hagar's story of how the name originated (from wiki)...

Hagar claims he coined the name after watching a man walk unsteadily along a local beach after a heavy night's partying. Using the town's nickname, Cabo (which means "cape" in Spanish), and shortening "wobble" to "wabo" he said of the man that he was doing the "Cabo wabo."

57Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:20 pm

Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Navy_p10

58Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:23 pm

Jake92

Maybe he'll pull out a hair by mistake and pee his pants. LOL

59Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:25 pm

Bob wrote:
Sammy Hagar: Hagar claims he coined the name after watching a man walk unsteadily along a local beach after a heavy night's partying. Using the town's nickname, Cabo (which means "cape" in Spanish), and shortening "wobble" to "wabo" he said of the man that he was doing the "Cabo wabo."[/i]

Cabo isn't a bad Tequila, but Camarena is almost the same price as Cabo and there's 1.75 liters... YES! cheers

Camarena is OK if you're using it for Margaritas... but it ain't a sippin stock.

60Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:26 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Jake92 wrote:Maybe he'll pull out a hair by mistake and pee his pants. LOL
Actually to be honest, the reason I was looking at the tree roots was because the size of them reminded me of something about my own anatomy. lol

61Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:27 pm

riceme wrote: She had a pretty good rash after it got irritated by her Levis coming back up the hill, and I was sure that her hoo-ha wasn't feeling too good at all. Covering up the name of the poisonous plant, I got out my Sierra Nevada ID book and showed her the picture of Poison Oak and asked her if that was what she'd wiped with. Her eyes popped out in surprise and she exclaimed, "YES!! HOW DID YOU KNOW??!" I uncovered the name of the plant and told her that she'd squatted and wiped in Poison Oak.Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Hiney

"Pictures at 11..."

62Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 4:34 pm

Bob wrote:
Jake92 wrote:Maybe he'll pull out a hair by mistake and pee his pants. LOL
Actually to be honest, the reason I was looking at the tree roots was because the size of them reminded me of something about my own anatomy. lol

Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Cosby

63Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 5:02 pm

Yomama wrote: /map of Navy Pt area/

Got it! If my memory is correct, there is also a boat ramp on the West side, across from the county boat ramp you pointed to in your map. That's correct, right??

When one of my old fishing buddies and I used to go out and did not depart from his home, pier and boat lift in a nearby bayou, we'd run his boat (a 24' Pathfinder with ALL the bells and whistles... BEAUTIFUL boat!) over to that Boat Raunch (as I referred to it) to depart... Again, providing that my memory is serving me correctly.

And now I understand why Bobby Baby doesn't want to get an indecent exposure charge. As I recall, many of the trees in that bayou were wiped-out in Ivan, so there isn't a lot of good cover to take a leak.

64Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 5:04 pm

Yomama wrote:
"Pictures at 11..."

LOL! I WISH!! That was way back in The Wayback Machine, and we didn't have camera phones... or, if there was such a thing back then, I was not aware and we certainly didn't have them on our USFS phones.

Shocked

65Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 5:52 pm

riceme wrote:Got it! If my memory is correct, there is also a boat ramp on the West side, across from the county boat ramp you pointed to in your map. That's correct, right??

That's on the North Arm of Bayou Grande. The County Boat Ramp IS on the West side of the North Arm. I'm not aware of any others in that area, but whatta I know?

There is a small park (of sorts... no ramp) where Fairfield Drive dead ends into Bayou Grande. Just West of the old Bayou Grande Villa mobile home park (almost to Dog Track Road on Gulf Beach Highway), Weller Road dead ends into Bayou Grande and people launch from there. Way out West on the Bayou Bill Dickson Park is on the South side of Bayou Grande next to the Navy Base. I hear that the launch ramp at Bill Dickson Park is very steep.

66Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 10:26 pm

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote:Got it! If my memory is correct, there is also a boat ramp on the West side, across from the county boat ramp you pointed to in your map. That's correct, right??

That's on the North Arm of Bayou Grande. The County Boat Ramp IS on the West side of the North Arm. I'm not aware of any others in that area, but whatta I know?

There is a small park (of sorts... no ramp) where Fairfield Drive dead ends into Bayou Grande. Just West of the old Bayou Grande Villa mobile home park (almost to Dog Track Road on Gulf Beach Highway), Weller Road dead ends into Bayou Grande and people launch from there. Way out West on the Bayou Bill Dickson Park is on the South side of Bayou Grande next to the Navy Base. I hear that the launch ramp at Bill Dickson Park is very steep.

Got it. You know, it's funny. I have always had a very keen innate sense of direction, and before moving there had never gotten lost in my life (except that one time when I was 7 out in the Mojave Desert). But the ENTIRE TIME I was out there I was completely turned around and didn't know North from East or my ass from my a hole in the ground.

And of COURSE, reading the map, it indicated that the boat ramp you pointed at was on the West... but in my turned around head I pictured it as East... Still can't get that area straight! Mad Grrr!

67Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 11:34 pm

As a former cartographer, I can say that the top of most maps is North. I get real confused when that orientation turns around.

My GPS system in the car has a dadgum setting where the map rotates when you go around a corner.

I don't use that setting... I likes me North at the top.

68Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/6/2013, 11:51 pm

Jake92

A neighbor went to the day labor office and hired 6 guys to frame a house for him. He got them to the job and had the blueprints all laid out on a table. And went over the job with them, then left for a few days of fishing in the gulf. They all said they could read the prints. A few days later, he came back and everything was right, but 180 degrees out. They had the prints on a table in the middle of the slab and weren't smart enough to turn them around or figure out that the front door should be towards the road.. It was funny when the front and garage doors were opening into the back yard and the pipes for the kitchen and bathrooms were sticking up out of the floor in the middle of the rooms and electrical wires sticking out of other pipes. LOL

69Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/7/2013, 12:01 am

Jake92 wrote:A neighbor went to the day labor office and hired 6 guys to frame a house for him. He got them to the job and had the blueprints all laid out on a table. And went over the job with them, then left for a few days of fishing in the gulf. They all said they could read the prints. A few days later, he came back and everything was right, but 180 degrees out. They had the prints on a table in the middle of the slab and weren't smart enough to turn them around or figure out that the front door should be towards the road.. It was funny when the front and garage doors were opening into the back yard and the pipes for the kitchen and bathrooms were sticking up out of the floor in the middle of the rooms and electrical wires sticking out of other pipes. LOL

That's pretty damn pitiful.

70Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/7/2013, 12:05 am

Yomama wrote:As a former cartographer, I can say that the top of most maps is North. I get real confused when that orientation turns around.

My GPS system in the car has a dadgum setting where the map rotates when you go around a corner.

I don't use that setting... I likes me North at the top.

I've taken lots of cartography and orienteering courses, plus of course, all my years in the USFS using topo maps, and a minor in Geology, so to me, North should always be at the top as well. The GPS on my phone has a setting, which apparently I sometimes accidentally activate, that puts whatever direction I'm traveling in at the top... Sounds like the same thing as in your car. ALWAYS screws me up.

I never could figure out why my internal compass wouldn't work in Pensacola... or in all of Florida, for that matter. It really made me mad. lol.

71Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/7/2013, 12:15 am

Jake92 wrote:A neighbor went to the day labor office and hired 6 guys to frame a house for him. He got them to the job and had the blueprints all laid out on a table. And went over the job with them, then left for a few days of fishing in the gulf. They all said they could read the prints. A few days later, he came back and everything was right, but 180 degrees out. They had the prints on a table in the middle of the slab and weren't smart enough to turn them around or figure out that the front door should be towards the road.. It was funny when the front and garage doors were opening into the back yard and the pipes for the kitchen and bathrooms were sticking up out of the floor in the middle of the rooms and electrical wires sticking out of other pipes. LOL

Holy smokes, that is funny.

About 20-years back a local contractor won a bid to build a custom home for a couple from out of town on a couple of acres near where I live. It was in an as-yet undeveloped area, but several of the 2-acre parcels had been surveyed and staked-off.

They built the home, sending pictures to and updates to them every now and then, and the couple was very happy...

...until they got the final inspection at which time the contractor was informed by the inspector that he had built the home on the wrong piece of property.

"Ooopsie!"

72Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/7/2013, 11:30 am

Jake92

What did they do to fix that mistake??

73Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/7/2013, 4:15 pm

Jake92 wrote:What did they do to fix that mistake??

They swapped lots with the guy who owned the property the home was built on, and all was well until they recently decided they wanted to sell the home. As you can imagine, the deed and all the paperwork were all f^ed up because of the incorrect address issue. My friends from high school who are now married decided they wanted to try to buy the home. They got the help of our friend who is a lawyer and who married a guy we grew up with. So for weeks,... months?? I kept hearing both sides of these conversations between them (the buyers) and the lawyer. They ended up getting a helluva good deal on the home because of what is now considered a paperwork SNAFU. But you KNOW things are rough when you've got to get a lawyer involved in buying a home.

74Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/7/2013, 8:40 pm

HG, dont forget to take me pics. Go to the end of kalash and baublits and take a pic of my old boat tree for me please Very Happy

I have some good memories there. My son once caught the marsh on fire there doing fireworks. and I had to take my shirt off real quick, dunk in water and put it out. I'm a quick thinking firewoman too. Cool

I am thinking of perhaps buying that old house I used to live in as either investment property or retirement home. I gave myself this year to decide. You know how I feel about the area. I love you

75Navy Point. Adventure - Page 3 Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/7/2013, 9:27 pm

riceme wrote:...until they got the final inspection at which time the contractor was informed by the inspector that he had built the home on the wrong piece of property.

"Ooopsie!"

The Tax Assessor's office... y'know, the dudes that make the property maps... had my lot in the 1/3 acre behind mine. I had to 'splain the legal description to them... duh. It was one of those resubdivisions of subdivisions and the west half of a lot in the resubdivision... whatever... you get the idea. I can see how they might get confused.

I'm glad that I had it right and THEY had it wrong, because the dude that sold me the property also owned the property behind me, so there wouldn't have been anything illegal about him selling me that property. My lot had probably a hundred little oaks and the lot behind had a couple of oaks and few big pines... that woulda sucked.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum