Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Navy Point. Adventure

+5
knothead
Nekochan
PBulldog2
Jake92
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Navy Point. Adventure Empty Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 10:44 pm

Bob and I walked some on the Navy Point trail. The weather was great and I really enjoyed it. The offer is open to any of you who might like to join us. Bob was fascinated with the washed out tree roots. .[img]Navy Point. Adventure 344fal4[/img]

2Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 10:47 pm

It's a beautiful trail. Lots of waterfront. Y'know, the Navy developed Navy Point and deliberately left the waterfront property undeveloped for a mile or two (probably more than that) of waterfront on Bayou Grande.

If you get a chance, check it out.

3Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 10:55 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'd driven it many times but never walked it until this morning.
It is one of the most beautiful spots I've visited around here.

4Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 11:00 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The tree in the picture has succumbed to the elements. But we came up on another one that was really interesting. The base of it got washed out exposing the root system like this one. But when that happened to the other one, one of it's roots started traveling down the beach on top of the sand and kept going. It's traveled a hundred feet or more and is still moving. Never seen anything like that before.

I was telling hallmark, when I was in Yosemite they have a cross section out of a tree on display and the centermost ring of it dates back to 980 AD.

5Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 11:04 pm

Bob wrote:The tree in the picture has succumbed to the elements. But we came up on another one that was really interesting. The base of it got washed out exposing the root system like this one. But when that happened to the other one, one of it's roots started traveling down the beach on top of the sand and kept going. It's traveled a hundred feet or more and is still moving. Never seen anything like that before.

I was telling hallmark, when I was in Yosemite they have a cross section out of a tree on display and the centermost ring of it dates back to 980 AD.

This tree is called Methusela. It is the oldest thing known on Earth. It is 4,800 years old.

Navy Point. Adventure Methus10

6Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 11:07 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:Bob and I walked some on the Navy Point trail. The weather was great and I really enjoyed it. The offer is open to any of you who might like to join us. Bob was fascinated with the washed out tree roots. .[img]Navy Point. Adventure 344fal4[/img]

I used to build piers, boathouses and seawalls. When I would come up to roots like that at a new job site, it was really depressing. They can be a PITA sometimes. This was back when the company I worked for was pretty new and the boss had an aversion to using heavy equipment due to cost. 10 years later when I would work for him in the summers, the new guys all got to use heavy equipment on the sites they were working. That sure did make it easier.

7Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 11:24 pm

I would hate to have to remove those roots by hand. PITA would be a understatement.................................................Here is our next adventure

8Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/3/2013, 11:29 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:I would hate to have to remove those roots by hand. PITA would be a understatement.................................................Here is our next adventure

The first 30 seconds of that scared the willies outta me.

9Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 2:31 am

Yomama wrote:
This tree is called Methusela. It is the oldest thing known on Earth. It is 4,800 years old.

Navy Point. Adventure Methus10

That is a Bristlecone Pine and is not too far from where I live. To me, they are some of the most beautiful trees in the world. Thank you for posting this, EE.

Oh and there is another Bristlecone Pine near "Methusela" that is dated to be over 5000 years old... about 5050, years if memory serves.

10Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 2:37 am

hallmarkgrad wrote:Bob and I walked some on the Navy Point trail. The weather was great and I really enjoyed it. The offer is open to any of you who might like to join us. Bob was fascinated with the washed out tree roots. .

I wanna come!!

...but it would be quite a long haul. Arrow

11Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 9:25 am

@Ricwme. You would be more than welcome anytime you might happen to get this way.

12Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 9:49 am

Jake92

Where and when can we meet to go???

13Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 9:57 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Jake92 wrote:Where and when can we meet to go???
Early on a Sunday morning is the best time to do this. Sunday mornings are my favorite time of all. It's equally fun driving to wherever you're gonna walk on Sunday morning because there is no traffic on the streets.
To walk Navy Point the best place to start is the parking lot on the Navy Point side of the bridge.

14Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:15 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

My husband and I would love to do this. Are dogs welcome if they are on a leash? Our Buddy would love this trip!

We can't go until weekend after next, but we may plan to go then. Where is the starting point of the trail?? I still don't have a good vision of the starting point. I used to have friends who lived right there on the water on the Navy Point side of the bridge going to the base - are you talking about that bridge, or the smaller bridge at Navy Point?

And what time do you guys start the walk?

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 2/4/2013, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

15Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:18 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Oh.....and my friends' house was completely destroyed in Ivan, so it's no longer there. I don't know what happened to their property.

16Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:21 am

Jake92

Do you mean by the boat ramps at Sunset and Syrcle/Baubitts Dr??

17Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:32 am

The Navy Point Bridge off of Navy Blvd. When you cross the bridge going into NP the boat ramp will be on your left, the parking area for the trail on the right. Dogs are welcomed. Litter stations, water Great places for them to rest. Lets do it!!!!

18Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:39 am

Jake92

I can go just about any time but just want to make sure I'm back before the races start on Sunday.. This week they start at noon or so at Daytona..

19Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:42 am

Heres the Deal. I will be at the Parking Area Sunday at 8 am. If you want to come and walk, please do. Some may not want to post that they are coming and that will be ok.

20Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:43 am

Jake92

I'll be there for sure with a few bottles of water or something.

21Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:44 am

Jake92 wrote:I can go just about any time but just want to make sure I'm back before the races start on Sunday.. This week they start at noon or so at Daytona..

I think 2 hours would be the max. I have other Sunday commitments also,

22Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 10:48 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

I would love to do that some day. I really, really miss living near the coast. You are so kind, Hallmark, to invite other forum members. Hope y'all have a great walk.

23Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 11:04 am

Jake92

I would love to get a gathering of members for a quick lunch or something someplace. I mentioned it a few times on the old PNJ site and never had any response.

24Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 11:09 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Jake92 wrote:I would love to get a gathering of members for a quick lunch or something someplace. I mentioned it a few times on the old PNJ site and never had any response.

People are just wary, and reading some of the crap on here, who can blame them?

25Navy Point. Adventure Empty Re: Navy Point. Adventure 2/4/2013, 11:25 am

Nekochan wrote:
Jake92 wrote:I would love to get a gathering of members for a quick lunch or something someplace. I mentioned it a few times on the old PNJ site and never had any response.

People are just wary, and reading some of the crap on here, who can blame them?

I agree I understand very well why some people would wish to remain anonymous. .This is just a side show and not every ones cup of tea. But I think it will be fun.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum