Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are we heading into a new mini ice age?

+4
Markle
TEOTWAWKI
Yella
2seaoat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Russia is calling thier situation snow apocolyps .

its -50 wind chill in Mn.

-35 wind chill in wis.

there are some odd scary weather in the northern hemi

will russia be the new north pole?

2seaoat

Last year was the warmest year on record since man has been measuring the same. Today is the first day I have seen the river freeze, and it is January 19th......I have seen it frozen solid on December 19th most years, and I have never seen it open until yesterday......You are getting very bad information, or you are selecting exceptions......not the general trend. Now I am going to spend the next two weeks in fear......this broken and chunky ice from the warm weather will flow and cause an ice jam. In 1938 the river jammed and the ice had to be dynamited and I lost an ATV in 2005 to an ice jam because we were not up here and by the time I learned of the jam....there was nothing I could do. No, I have never in the last 9 years seen the river flowing freely on January 18th.....it did get cold last night though.

2seaoat wrote:Last year was the warmest year on record since man has been measuring the same. Today is the first day I have seen the river freeze, and it is January 19th......I have seen it frozen solid on December 19th most years, and I have never seen it open until yesterday......You are getting very bad information, or you are selecting exceptions......not the general trend. Now I am going to spend the next two weeks in fear......this broken and chunky ice from the warm weather will flow and cause an ice jam. In 1938 the river jammed and the ice had to be dynamited and I lost an ATV in 2005 to an ice jam because we were not up here and by the time I learned of the jam....there was nothing I could do. No, I have never in the last 9 years seen the river flowing freely on January 18th.....it did get cold last night though.

why do you say i am getting bad information? im looking at the weather. Rolling Eyes

ave you looked at the weather in the northern hemisphere of the planet? you really cant judge total earths weather just on your location. geesh.

Last season was mixed with most of the USA getting off with a warm winter, but other parts of Europe, Asia and Alaska experienced the massive event which was named the "Great Winter Freeze of 2012". The position of the jet stream was the culprit of the mixed weather which mainly saw a positive AO, but this season has the chance of being different. The quasi-biennial oscillation (QBO) is a quasi-periodic oscillation of the equatorial zonal wind between easterlies and westerlies in the tropical stratosphere which last season mostly favored the formation of a positive AO. When the QBO is in easterly mode the planetary waves that disrupt the NH polar vortex are more likely to occur which tends to produce a negative AO. A negative AO in the past few winters has positioned the jet stream so that the USA and western Europe feel the worst of the Arctic cold air movement and blocking highs that perpetuate this event. The current and expected position of the QBO is looking to favor a negative AO this season. The white area is the easterly flow.

http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/270

--------------

14 Jun 11 - "What may be the science story of the century is breaking this evening, as heavyweight US solar physicists announce that the Sun appears to be headed into a lengthy spell of low activity, which could mean that the Earth – far from facing a global warming problem – is actually headed into a mini Ice Age," begins an article today in the UK Register.

Are we headed for another Maunder Minimum and a Little Ice Age?

The Maunder Minimum, a 70-year period from 1645 to 1715 when virtually no sunspots appeared, coincided with the Little Ice Age.

NASA on the Maunder Minimum:

"Early records of sunspots indicate that the Sun went through a period of inactivity in the late 17th century. Very few sunspots were seen on the Sun from about 1645 to 1715.... This period of solar inactivity also corresponds to a climatic period called the "Little Ice Age" when rivers that are normally ice-free froze and snow fields remained year-round at lower altitudes. There is evidence that the Sun has had similar periods of inactivity in the more distant past

http://www.iceagenow.com/Earth_may_enter_a_Little_Ice_Age_within_a_decade.htm

worth a look, theres a lot of info on it.

2seaoat

Yes I can.......it was the warmest year last year.....and in my 61 years I have never seen midwest rivers flowing in January......never. Until yesterday there was only partial ice on the rivers......I have never....repeat never....seen anything like this. You can cherry pick what you think are facts......I am looking at a reality I have never seen in my life.

data from nasa

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml

worth a look.

maybe you dont know what a little ice age is?

On a global level, the Little Ice Age was less apparent unlike the ice ages of Pleistocene, which were marked by a distinct growth of the continental ice sheets and lowering of global temperatures.

Background

The Little Ice Age was a period of extreme cooler temperatures and climates for most parts of the world between1300 and 1870. The term derived from a 16th-mid 19th century period in which European climate was strongly impacted by a trend towards expanding glacial conditions in Europe and other neighboring regions which ended by warming conditions of the medieval warm period. This can be divided in two phases with the first beginning around 1300 to the 1400s and a slightly warmer period in the 1500s which led to the height of the Little Ice Age between 1600 to 1800. The Little Ice Age on a global scale is considered to be a period of cooling predominantly in the Northern Hemisphere. The Northern Hemisphere experienced accounts of extreme mountain glacier retreats and advances during past centuries and was depicted on paintings of glaciers in the French and Swiss Alps during the past centuries.

The Cause

In addition, the decrease in global temperatures of about 1-1.5 degree Celsius (2-3 degrees Fahrenheit) was caused by a combination of reduced solar activity and large volcanic eruptions. Although the exact cause is unknown, many have supported the reason leading to the low sunspot activity called Maunder Minimum. The Maunder Minimum shows a “colder” sun leading to a less energy output to warm the earth. The human population was impacted by this dramatic climatic change.

http://www.climatepedia.org/about-little-ice-age

if you dont want to talk about it and just say ah, its warm in front of my face, then just say so.

no one likes to talk and think about things here anymore anyway. Crying or Very sad

anyway............

Solar Cycle Prediction

(Updated 2013/01/02)

Click on image for larger version.

The current prediction for Sunspot Cycle 24 gives a smoothed sunspot number maximum of about 69 in the Fall of 2013. The smoothed sunspot number has already reached 67 (in February 2012)due to the strong peak in late 2011 so the official maximum will be at least this high and this late. We are currently over four years into Cycle 24. The current predicted and observed size makes this the smallest sunspot cycle since Cycle 14 which had a maximum of 64.2 in February of 1906.

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/predict.shtml
read.......................................................................................
http://iceagenow.info/2012/05/heading-ice-age-astrophysicist/

Yella

Yella

http://www.divulgence.net/axis%20shift%202.html

Not being a scientist,only someone who reads, I found this interesting. There area lot of theories but it seems that the axis is changing and everything on the planet will be affected.

I did not post this to freak anybody out but the icecaps ARE melting fifty per cent faster than scientific study has estimated.

Last edited by Yella on 1/21/2013, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yeah this has been a really mild winter...I hope we get some hard freezes soon to kill off the bug larvae.

Thanks Chrissy for your work in putting this together...

Yella wrote:http://www.divulgence.net/axis%20shift%202.html

Not being a scientist,only someone who reads, I found this interesting. There area lot of theories but it seems that the axis is changing and everything on the planet will be affected.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2007/10/10/tilt/

Looks like discover magazine is calling that site a hoax.

I dont want to get into a political global warming bitch fest. Razz

im simply looking at the data about the suns activity and the results here on the planet. we are over due. i am also looking at the upper atmophere jet streams. look for yourself. I just as hoping to shoot the crap on the subject, thats all. ill prolly let it fly now. fleeting interest lol

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

2seaoat

I used to see ice on midwest lakes and rivers from the first week in December until the end of Feb, or early March. The river was flowing with little icebergs yesterday afternoon. I had duck hunters come to the south end of the islands Sunday......never seen that in my life in January.....We are warming at an unbelievable rate.....and I am hearing about sun spots and a mini ice age.......geeeezzzz.

What I have seen since early December scares the hell out of me.

Tell the folk in Australia about the mini-ice-age.

Global Warming manifests itself in strange ways.

Yella

Yella

If the planet actually is experiencing an axis change it will affect agriculture everywhere. It has already affected aquifers worldwide due to the diminishing snow cover on mountain ranges.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

2seaoat wrote:I used to see ice on midwest lakes and rivers from the first week in December until the end of Feb, or early March. The river was flowing with little icebergs yesterday afternoon. I had duck hunters come to the south end of the islands Sunday......never seen that in my life in January.....We are warming at an unbelievable rate.....and I am hearing about sun spots and a mini ice age.......geeeezzzz.

yes, sure. you know it all. all these astrophycist know nothing. Tis whole thing about the sun spot activity slowing down well nasa is just stupid.

The solar cycle may be going into hiatus, like a TV show." Hill and colleagues reported on a jet-stream-like flow within the sun that they have been monitoring since 1995 using "helioseismology," the study of sun-wide oscillations of the solar surface. They expected the next cycle's jet to appear in 2008 or 2009, but it's still a no-show.

together, the scientists say, the three trends suggest that no visible solar cycle will begin at the next expected start time, around 2020. Such a gap last happened during the Maunder Minimum 400 years ago. But other researchers are cool to the idea. Solar physicist Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado

seaoat, its not just poo little dumb chrissy talking about it, theres plenty of scientist talking about it.

chicken leg Razz

W_T_M wrote:Tell the folk in Australia about the mini-ice-age.

Global Warming manifests itself in strange ways.

the whole lanet doesnt freeze over in a little ice age. please read some of the links i gave. its interesting stuff Smile

Yella wrote:If the planet actually is experiencing an axis change it will affect agriculture everywhere. It has already affected aquifers worldwide due to the diminishing snow cover on mountain ranges.

I had read that the axis had changed a little, but I havnt seen a lot of reliable data. I do know it has changed some.

I think the pole shifting is what is causing this along with low sun spot activity which is ecpexted to get slower over the next few years

id like to learn more about the axis change thing if you have some info?

2seaoat

I do not give a rat's tail about sun spots and some far out theory of the future........I am seeing rivers flowing on January 18th and today is the first day I have stopped seeing the flow.......I do not care about you putting your links in a top hat and pulling something out and calling it science. It is far more complicated than somebody who knows nothing about the science of climate choosing the links which fit her paradigm......I am telling you what I have never seen in my life.....and you think I am playing scientist.....nope....my extent of science is a river or lake frozen.....or without ice.......I have never seen what I have seen this winter.....never.....so tell me I am a know it all.....tell me I do not know jack about sun spots....you will not get an argument.....but I would like to have seen you ice skating on the river yesterday.....then tell me about your damn sun spots.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Chrissy wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I used to see ice on midwest lakes and rivers from the first week in December until the end of Feb, or early March. The river was flowing with little icebergs yesterday afternoon. I had duck hunters come to the south end of the islands Sunday......never seen that in my life in January.....We are warming at an unbelievable rate.....and I am hearing about sun spots and a mini ice age.......geeeezzzz.

yes, sure. you know it all. all these astrophycist know nothing. Tis whole thing about the sun spot activity slowing down well nasa is just stupid.

The solar cycle may be going into hiatus, like a TV show." Hill and colleagues reported on a jet-stream-like flow within the sun that they have been monitoring since 1995 using "helioseismology," the study of sun-wide oscillations of the solar surface. They expected the next cycle's jet to appear in 2008 or 2009, but it's still a no-show.

together, the scientists say, the three trends suggest that no visible solar cycle will begin at the next expected start time, around 2020. Such a gap last happened during the Maunder Minimum 400 years ago. But other researchers are cool to the idea. Solar physicist Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado

seaoat, its not just poo little dumb chrissy talking about it, theres plenty of scientist talking about it.

chicken leg Razz

Chrissy in case you haven't figured it out seaoat only respects PHDs that specialize in the field under discussion...He easily dismisses everything else as unverified bloggers...

Are we heading into a new mini ice age? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3nvHcsuQx0eNt4RwvSdHxkh4_h4puhr-5A90sSTZ-QkWIOeNBGA

So am I supposed to buy camels and turbans or huskies and snowsleds?????

I'm so confused!!!!!

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-LmRNdQiQ

scratch

2seaoat

So am I supposed to buy camels and turbans or huskies and snowsleds?????

Be honest....what have you seen this winter on Iowa lakes and rivers......the truth.

2seaoat wrote:I do not give a rat's tail about sun spots and some far out theory of the future........I am seeing rivers flowing on January 18th and today is the first day I have stopped seeing the flow.......I do not care about you putting your links in a top hat and pulling something out and calling it science. It is far more complicated than somebody who knows nothing about the science of climate choosing the links which fit her paradigm......I am telling you what I have never seen in my life.....and you think I am playing scientist.....nope....my extent of science is a river or lake frozen.....or without ice.......I have never seen what I have seen this winter.....never.....so tell me I am a know it all.....tell me I do not know jack about sun spots....you will not get an argument.....but I would like to have seen you ice skating on the river yesterday.....then tell me about your damn sun spots.

The Sun’s magnetic field is getting into a muddle as one half of it changes out of step with the other and this muddled behavior is likely to become very marked in MAY,” says Corbyn, of WeatherAction.com.

“The sun is entering a ‘muddled’ magnetic state. This strange behavior was pointed out by Japanese researchers from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan and the Riken research foundation* who say this was the sort of behavior which probably took place during low periods of solar activity in the past** and which drove the world into a cold state of longer winters, cold Spring months and lousy summers.

“At the same time independent observers have noticed an increase in Little Ice Age type (Maunder-Dalton type) weather events and circulation patterns around the world such as more extreme hailstorms and cyclonic cold weather in Britain and Ireland with the Jet stream shifted well south***.
“These changes and findings increase our confidence in our forecast made two years ago of general world cooling and our specific forecasts for individual months and regions such as for an exceptionally cold May this year in central and east Britain and West Europe – and which comes with the present very warm weather in East Europe which we predicted 4 weeks ahead.

“Although these developing circulation patterns are generally cold the wide-amplitude swings of the jet stream of which they are part also mean there will be some warm or very warm spots. This happened in March with a generally cold or very cold Northern Hemisphere while the UK and USA were warm and extremely warm respectively.
“May will also see dramatic contrasts and we will have more of a grasp on the boundaries between contrasting parts in our detailed May forecasts for Britain and Ireland, Europe and the USA issued at the end of April.

“http://iceagenow.info/2012/05/heading-ice-age-astrophysicist/

as you can see as i tried to eplain before. you can have areas that are warm or even extremley warm areas in a little ice age. its not like the whole planet freezes over.

Im not talking about a snowball earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth

im talkin more like. little ice age.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Third Assessment Report considered the timing and areas affected by the LIA suggested largely independent regional climate changes, rather than a globally synchronous increased glaciation. At most there was modest cooling of the Northern Hemisphere during the period.[8]
good info here if your bored or interestd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ice_age

I've seen it warmer and colder... I like warmer better. As a species we are very fortunate to exist in a warming trend.

2seaoat wrote:
Be honest....what have you seen this winter on Iowa lakes and rivers......the truth.

Are we heading into a new mini ice age? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfVgiIYxn2daRrEBK_zf3J-FyISnNYlQGSzJJIBs5gjBDYsc7p

You do realize this is Iowa you're talking about and the wind chill factor started out at twenty below today?

What do you think is covering the rivers and lakes?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-bnCpqCfVI

Smile

2seaoat

Chrissy in case you haven't figured it out seaoat only respects PHDs that specialize in the field under discussion...He easily dismisses everything else as unverified bloggers...

Having spent a great deal of time in academic environments and having done research, I put a great deal of credence in peer reviewed journals and less in non academic sources.....like a blog being ran out of a basement with a bookcase turned horizontal, with piled books and a guy screaming profanities......he may have just discovered the next biological breakthrough, but I will read the science journals first.....my experience has been rewarded by knowledge gained by real science and real knowledgeable folks writing and attributing their sources....you know.....science, not internet links pulled randomly out of the internet plasma.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum