Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another road rage shooting

+4
boards of FL
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 10:57 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:

Alcohol in those days came from hidden stills. Are outlaws fabricating their own guns in garages somewhere?
Will, you're a very smart guy. Are you telling me that all you know about Prohibition is moonshiners with stills in the woods? Honest to God? Or are you pulling my leg? Jesus.

27Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 10:58 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Educate yourself, Will.

https://www.google.com/search?q=organized+crime+and+prohibition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

28Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:01 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Pushing guns underground will result in EXACTLY the same thing, Will.
Alcohol and guns are a bedrock part of our culture. As wonderful and smart as Obama and Paloosi are, even they are not wonderful and smart enough to change that. I know that's hard for you to believe, but it's the truth, Will. lol

29Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:03 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Another road rage shooting - Page 2 2-94

I rest my case. lol

30Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:10 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:Will, you're a very smart guy. Are you telling me that all you know about Prohibition is moonshiners with stills in the woods? Honest to God? Or are you pulling my leg? Jesus.

Not at all. Help educate me. Where did alcohol come from during the prohibition era?

31Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:16 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:Will, you're a very smart guy. Are you telling me that all you know about Prohibition is moonshiners with stills in the woods? Honest to God? Or are you pulling my leg? Jesus.

Not at all. Help educate me. Where did alcohol come from during the prohibition era?
Rackeeters. Mobsters. Crime lords. Organized criminals. Al Capone manufactured and sold as much alcohol as Jack Daniels. lol

32Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:17 am

bghlaw0371

I'd suggest using google. Maybe google the history of the Kennedy family and their fortune. Just a starting point.

33Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:17 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Rackeeters. Mobsters. Crime lords. Organized criminals. Al Capone manufactured and sold as much alcohol as Jack Daniels. lol

But where did it come from? You are describing the people who ran it. It had to be created somewhere, right? Don't you watch Boardwalk Empire?

34Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:18 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Have you never heard of "The Untouchables"? Or "Boardwalk Empire"? lol

35Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:20 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Jesus. We cross-posted the same thing. Except you used it to try to make the opposite point. This is so surreal.

But to answer your question, yes I absolutely do watch Boardwalk Empire. And there was more alcohol in Atlantic City when alcohol was illegal as when it was legal. Doesn't that tell you anything?

36Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:22 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:

But where did it come from? You are describing the people who ran it. It had to be created somewhere, right? Don't you watch Boardwalk Empire?
It came from "bootleggers". And bootleggers came in all forms. From small operations to huge operations. Including smugglers who brought it in by the boatloads from Europe.
So what is your point?

37Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:27 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:Jesus. We cross-posted the same thing. Except you used it to try to make the opposite point. This is so surreal.

But to answer your question, yes I absolutely do watch Boardwalk Empire. And there was more alcohol in Atlantic City when alcohol was illegal as when it was legal. Doesn't that tell you anything?

We're talking past each other at this point. Alcohol primarily came from domestic stills or import. This is beside the point of my original post.

I originally asked "Where do outlaws get their guns?" because I was trying to imply that many get them from legal gun owners. And when I say "outlaws", I'm not referring to some highbrow crime boss, but rather, people like the guy in the article from the original post, or people like Lanza. The number of guns in the hands of unstable nut-jobs is likely a direct function of the number of legal, privately owned guns in the US.

38Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:32 am

bghlaw0371

Gun prohibition could produce another round of extremely wealthy families in this country. Worked with alcohol.

39Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:38 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

[quote="boards of FL"]
Bob wrote:

I originally asked "Where do outlaws get their guns?" because I was trying to imply that many get them from legal gun owners. And when I say "outlaws", I'm not referring to some highbrow crime boss, but rather, people like the guy in the article from the original post, or people like Lanza. The number of guns in the hands of unstable nut-jobs is likely a direct function of the number of legal, privately owned guns in the US.
Yes outlaws get their guns from sources who legally purchased them. NOW THEY DO.
But once you start to make guns illegal, the exact same thing will happen as happened with alcohol. And outlaws and non-outlaws will get their guns from illegal sources.
They will do so because, as I said, guns are just as much a part of American culture as alcohol. Prohibitions just will not work with either.

40Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:44 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If I didn't already have a gun, and guns are made illegal, I would buy one illegally. Same as I would a bottle of alcohol.
And I represent so many in the population that there is never going to be enough political will to attempt to make either illegal anyway. Game over.
Simple as that.

41Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 11:53 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:If I didn't already have a gun, and guns are made illegal, I would buy one illegally. Same as I would a bottle of alcohol.
And I represent so many in the population that there is never going to be enough political will to attempt to make either illegal anyway. Game over.
Simple as that.

I don't endorse making all guns illegal. I would like to see some form of strict liability applied to assault rifles.

42Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:10 pm

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:If I didn't already have a gun, and guns are made illegal, I would buy one illegally. Same as I would a bottle of alcohol.
Simple as that.

I don't endorse making all guns illegal. I would like to see some form of strict liability applied to assault rifles.

An assault rifle is generally defined as a weapon with a selectable rate of fire such as fully automatic or burst (usually 3 shot if my memory is correct on the M-16 I used to lug around). The stolen weapon used in this latest massacre by the coward Lanza can better be classified as a "sport rifle" since he had to pull the trigger each time to make a shot. I really don't see the difference between that weapon and a semi-automatic shotgun for example except for magazine capacity. Since federal regulations are already strict on automatic weapons perhaps the only solution is to go back to limits on how many rounds a magazine can hold. That said, I really don't see the purpose behind owning an AR or Bushmaster......

43Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:25 pm

Bob wrote:Pushing guns underground will result in EXACTLY the same thing, Will.
Alcohol and guns are a bedrock part of our culture. As wonderful and smart as Obama and Paloosi are, even they are not wonderful and smart enough to change that. I know that's hard for you to believe, but it's the truth, Will. lol

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The only problem with your argument is that there are a hell of a lot of folk who drink alcohol who do not own, nor wish to own a firearm.

However, prohibition will not work. Legal moratorium on further production of certain weapons would impact the situation, as would the banning of gun shows.

A lot of the guns in illegal circulation are purchased at gun shows and transported to places w/ strict gun laws where they are a valuable commodity. Another source is obvious....theft, which makes it already a law enforcement issue.

One of the biggest mistakes the gun industry makes is the resistance to background checks. It takes more time and paperwork to buy a car.

What's wrong with that picture...? A common rant on these gun threads is that we have to keep the weapons out of the hands of mentally defective folk. Background checks would help in that aspect of this never gonna be solved problem.

Last edited by W_T_M on 12/20/2012, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

44Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:33 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:There's an easy solution to crimes like this. Just start giving maggots like this life imprisonment. There is ABSOLUTELY NO RATIONAL ARGUMENT OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER TO NOT DO THAT. When someone starts firing guns because of "road rage", I DO NOT want that animal to be free. Ever. And I defy anyone to tell me why he should be.
And if you don't want to house and feed these shitheads in jail forever then neither do I. I guarangoddamntee you if you start putting them away for life then it won't be very long at all until that will deter most everyone from doing this so you won't have to pay for their imprisonment.

The problem is though, that the liberals who want to ban guns are also the very same ones who would adamantly oppose doing this. And that's why it won't happen. Instead they'll keep squawking about banning guns.

I have no problem with that, and I seriously doubt you'd find many "liberals" who oppose the idea.

But, it's not enough.

The first change I'd like to see is for all firearm purchases be made from federally licensed dealers. No private sales, and stiff penalties for violators. All firearms must be registered, no exceptions.

In addition, tighten the background checks with regular license renewals. A conviction for any violent crime will result in revocation of the license.

Then a ban on high capacity magazines and military style assault weapons.

Finally, a hefty tax on all guns and ammunition with the revenue going to fund mental health services.

These are sensible measures that would keep us and our children safer.

No one is talking about prohibition.

45Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:36 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

W_T_M wrote:
Bob wrote:Pushing guns underground will result in EXACTLY the same thing, Will.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The only problem with your argument is that there are a hell of a lot of folk who drunk alcohol who do not own, nor wish to own a firearm.

However, prohibition will not work. Legal moratorium on further production of certain weapons would impact the situation, as would the banning of gun shows.

A lot of the guns in illegal circulation are purchased at gun shows and transported to places w/ strict gun laws where they are a valuable commodity. Another source is obvious....theft, which makes it already a law enforcement issue.

One of the biggest mistakes the gun industry makes is the resistance to background checks. It takes more time and paperwork to buy a car.

What's wrong with that picture...? A common rant on these gun threads is that we have to keep the weapons out of the hands of mentally defective folk. Background checks would help in that aspect of this never gonna be solved problem.

You are kidding, right? You can test drive, buy, and drive off the lot in the same day.

46Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:42 pm

nochain wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Simple as that.

An assault rifle is generally defined as a weapon with a selectable rate of fire such as fully automatic or burst (usually 3 shot if my memory is correct on the M-16 I used to lug around). The stolen weapon used in this latest massacre by the coward Lanza can better be classified as a "sport rifle" since he had to pull the trigger each time to make a shot. I really don't see the difference between that weapon and a semi-automatic shotgun for example except for magazine capacity. Since federal regulations are already strict on automatic weapons perhaps the only solution is to go back to limits on how many rounds a magazine can hold. That said, I really don't see the purpose behind owning an AR or Bushmaster......

Automatic fire with a single trigger pull is not the only qualification that determines whether a rife is considered an assault weapon or not. Maybe you should read this.

Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescopic stock;
ii. a pistol grip;
iii. a bayonet mount;
iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
v. a grenade launcher.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/ji/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

So a rifle with a detachable magazine and at least 2 of the items listed in i - v would be considered an assault weapon also. Though this is the CT definition, CT patterned their law from the federal law that was written in 1994 that banned assault weapons. As a matter of fact CT use the same verbiage as H.R. 4296 as it pertains to semi-automatic rifles as assault weapons.

47Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:43 pm

What's it gonna take Sue...?

You tell me what I have to do to stop your petty BS, following me around and attacking every freaking thing I post...?

48Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:44 pm

2seaoat

Where have I suggested prohibition in this threat or Seaoat's solution. I have not, but as usual the thread has been hijacked and somebody is injecting a position I have not taken in my proposed solution. There has not been one valid criticism of the solution.....rather we have decided to talk about stills and prohibition. I am talking about gun safety and reasonable regulations which involve technology and cars. We just simply seek a stable and comprehensive platform which addresses vehicle safety and gun safety.....it does not prohibit gun ownership, but simply makes it more difficult to illegally transport weapons. I will not give up my guns, but I have no problem with a smart card foid, chipped and biometric triggered guns, and a control module in all vehicles phased in from 2016-2025.

We used to read in the Sunday funny papers about Dick Tracey and his video watch...........people laughed at that concept also. However, technology can assist us in sound public policy......not a bunch of absolutes and nonsense. We can and must improve gun and vehicle safety.

49Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:55 pm

W_T_M wrote:What's it gonna take Sue...?

You tell me what I have to do to stop your petty BS, following me around and attacking every freaking thing I post...?

Probably when you stop making idiotic posts that you know nothing about, such as taking longer to buy a car than a gun.. I bought a new car in Jan 2010 and drove it off the lot in a matter of 2 hours, I purchased a gun online and had it sent to an FFL and had a background after it came in and then still had to wait the mandatory wait time. This of course was before I got my CCL.

But go ahead and spin that post and tell us that is not what you meant and that you were just using that as an example.

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 12/20/2012, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

50Another road rage shooting - Page 2 Empty Re: Another road rage shooting 12/20/2012, 12:59 pm

Sal

Sal

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Probably when you stop making idiotic posts that you know nothing about, such as taking longer to buy a car than a guy..

How long does it take to buy a guy?

I've never tried it.

Years ago it didn't take long to rent a girl, but it sure was expensive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum