Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Franken Announces Resignation

+5
PkrBum
knothead
2seaoat
othershoe1030
Telstar
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Franken Announces Resignation Empty Franken Announces Resignation 12/7/2017, 1:06 pm

Telstar

Telstar

However he will not remain silent against the evil tribe that smeared him. I hope he returns to SNL where he can hammer the denture challenged dotard traitor that infests our White House with evil. God help Alabama. A vote for Moore is a vote for Lucifer.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Last night I wrote to Senator Franken via his website recommending he wait a few weeks at least to see how the mood in DC changes in its attitude toward sexual misconduct. Unfortunately he decided to bow to party pressure.

Cynically I see this as a shallow partisan move on behalf of the Democrats to attempt to distance themselves from any hint of disrespect for women and trying to (probably unsuccessfully) hang this burning tire of sexual misconduct around the necks of every Republican candidate across the country. This is bad strategy at best and in the process we have lost a very decent Senator who was a strong advocate for women.

To top off this shameful turn of events Andrea Mitchell has just had WHO (?) Debbie Wasserman Schultz on her program saying that partisanship has nothing to do with this.

I swear, rather than approaching this new conversation re respect for women in an adult manner the Dems (IMO) have done themselves a great disservice by pressuring one of their more progressive Senators to be run out of town on a rail.

2seaoat

It has nothing to do with partisanship. It is simply time to have a moral threshold. Republicans and Democrats once shared that moral threshold. However, this was simple. We need to have truth and morality as guidance, and certainly Franken by his apologies makes it certain that the pinnacle of hypocrisy would be for him to fight these allegations when the photos show inappropriate behavior. I do not give a chit what the immoral President or soon to be senator who is a child molester decide to do. It never was about immoral men, it was about what moral folks will do. Good will prevail over bad. Thumbs up Al.

knothead

knothead

I hated to see him go. He noted in his opening remarks that it is impossible to escape the irony . . . . . he is resigning for irresponsible conduct and disrespecting women and has shown contrition while another who has done far more egregious things multiple times over the years sits in the WH. I do not condone his shenanigans but his misbehavior is not disqualifying to me.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:It has nothing to do with partisanship.  It is simply time to have a moral threshold.   Republicans and Democrats once shared that moral threshold.  However, this was simple.  We need to have truth and morality as guidance, and certainly Franken by his apologies makes it certain that the pinnacle of hypocrisy would be for him to fight these allegations when the photos show inappropriate behavior.  I do not give a chit what the immoral President or soon to be senator who is a child molester decide to do.  It never was about immoral men, it was about what moral folks will do.  Good will prevail over bad.  Thumbs up Al.

To you it may not have anything to do with partisanship but I think the Dems are trying to make it so. They are trying to wear the white hats and to pin disrespect for women on the Republicans.

I agree we need to have a moral threshold but this is not the way to go about it willie-nillie throwing the baby out with the bathwater as it were. Franken's bad behavior was unacceptable, apologized for and forgiven by the first woman to come forward, the radio personality in California. Now she is sorry he has resigned.

The Dems are trying to take the high road by supporting respect for women. Unfortunately they are cutting off their noses to spite their face in the case of Franken. This is a totally new type of national conversation that is in a state of flux. It is no time to be so eager to throw a good man under the bus. I think he should have at least had the opportunity to go through the ethics process as he first proposed and given all this time to cool down. He could step down later if the investigation merited it but now it is too late.

Meanwhile all the Republicans (Trump) care about is having enough GOP votes to pass their tax bill. Now that's totally shameful on so many levels.

PkrBum

PkrBum

It's the funniest bit he's ever done... LOL. Cool

knothead

knothead

othershoe1030 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:It has nothing to do with partisanship.  It is simply time to have a moral threshold.   Republicans and Democrats once shared that moral threshold.  However, this was simple.  We need to have truth and morality as guidance, and certainly Franken by his apologies makes it certain that the pinnacle of hypocrisy would be for him to fight these allegations when the photos show inappropriate behavior.  I do not give a chit what the immoral President or soon to be senator who is a child molester decide to do.  It never was about immoral men, it was about what moral folks will do.  Good will prevail over bad.  Thumbs up Al.

To you it may not have anything to do with partisanship but I think the Dems are trying to make it so. They are trying to wear the white hats and to pin disrespect for women on the Republicans.

I agree we need to have a moral threshold but this is not the way to go about it willie-nillie throwing the baby out with the bathwater as it were. Franken's bad behavior was unacceptable, apologized for and forgiven by the first woman to come forward, the radio personality in California. Now she is sorry he has resigned.

The Dems are trying to take the high road by supporting respect for women. Unfortunately they are cutting off their noses to spite their face in the case of Franken. This is a totally new type of national conversation that is in a state of flux. It is no time to be so eager to throw a good man under the bus. I think he should have at least had the opportunity to go through the ethics process as he first proposed and given all this time to cool down. He could step down later if the investigation merited it but now it is too late.

Meanwhile all the Republicans (Trump) care about is having enough GOP votes to pass their tax bill. Now that's totally shameful on so many levels.

I agree with you OS . . . . it has everything to do with partisanship . . . . it is the political game de jour of the day sad as it is . . . . my question remains what about 45? As it is now playing out any act of disrespect gets the death sentence and consequently outrageous acts of sexual misconduct are treated the same as more frivolous albiet unacceptable behavior.

2seaoat

I am sorry. Al got after the AG about truthfulness. He apologized for his acts initially thinking this will simply go away. More women complained, and there was a simple moral choice in light of the photos and complaints. I think he will in five years to do more good outside the senate by this simple moral choice, than a decade more of the public perception that congress is covered by an umbrella of privilege that average Americans do not share never are held to the same standards that we are in the workplace. Yes, this happened before he was in the Senate, but his choice was the correct one.

In regard to politics, I agree there will always be groups trying to make political hay, but the idea of a 32 year old grown man who was an assistant states attorney would lure a 14 year old girl to his home and remove her clothing, fondle her, and have her fondle him if done in Escambia County would have him facing 15-20 years in prison. It is the pure deference to power which must be challenged, and how can you challenge the same in waist deep hypocrisy. Mn has historically had brilliant senators....who understood issues and make a difference.

zsomething

Well, there has to be one party with some integrity, at least. I hate to see Franken go, and a lot of the charges against him sounded like molehills, but, he did do enough where he should be held to account. We can be proud of holding our own accountable, while the Republican party remains the home of Nazis, child molesters, pussy grabbers, and the Christian version of the Taliban.

I know which side I'd rather be on.

10Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/7/2017, 6:25 pm

I give him credit for stepping up and being a man about the things he did wrong.

Now if only the orange jackass and his ilk would follow suit...

11Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/7/2017, 6:37 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Technically... he said he'd resign in a couple of weeks... and that was a piss poor apology.

12Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/7/2017, 6:39 pm

polecat

polecat

Franken should announce he’s switching parties. He’ll be fine then. - AllahPundit

13Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/7/2017, 6:42 pm

2seaoat

Now if only the orange jackass and his ilk would follow suit...

Impossible to expect evil people to denounce predators. Our salvation is most Americans are good people, and even though Franken was an evil democrat, most Americans really liked the man after watching him on SNL and his use of humor to do his job in the senate. I think Americans have seen the stark difference in morality independent of politics. Sexual predators are on both sides of the aisle. No one side has the high ground in a political sense because there are moral absolutes, and fondling 14 year old children when you are in a powerful position, or bragging that you can grab P---y because rich and powerful people can get away with it. It has been this historical merging of absolute power with sexual exploitation which made a great movie in Braveheart because we were appalled, yet if Franken had not resigned all standards of decency would degrade to the point that President Trump and new Senator Moore can demand the right of first night with any American female child. These are simple moral choices, and most Americans have a mother, sister, or daughter who understand that Al did the right thing.

14Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/7/2017, 6:56 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Even the crime of murder has its degrees, involuntary manslaughter, premeditated murder, etc. It seems in this current atmosphere where women have suddenly "found their voice" that the only sentence is to resign or be fired. There is no room for probation, house arrest, suspension without pay, demotion and so on.

Maybe this plan by the Dems to be perceived as the moral party will succeed. I hope it does considering the sacrifices that are being made by the hour to this end.

Yes, the overall stance of the Dems is correct. It is the rigid application of the punishment without due process that bothers me. I hope Franken will take his new found moral high ground and use it to great advantage. I hope the Republicans get soundly beaten around the country because of their two-faced "family first", "moral majority", "Christian" hypocrisy.

The President and his followers have one talking point today and that is: the voters have made their choice (and forgiven or ignored his ugly behavior with women) so he is now basically above criticism. The people have spoken and it is all ok with them. I think it is too late to try and re-litigate Trump's moral crimes unless it is on an informal level and he is treated like a lame duck.

Representative Trent Franks from AZ (R) will resign too so it looks as if the beat goes on.

15Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/7/2017, 7:10 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

"A couple months ago, I felt that we had entered an important moment in the history of this country. We were finally beginning to listen to women about the ways in which men's actions affect them. The moment was long overdue. I was excited for that conversation and hopeful that it would result in real change that made life better for women all across the country and in every part of our society. Then the conversation turned to me. Over the last few weeks, a number of women have come forward to talk about how they felt my actions had affected them. I was shocked. I was upset. But in responding to their claims, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation. Because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that in fact I haven't done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true. Others I remember very differently." Franken "apology"

He always thought he was good enough... smart enough... and doggone it people liked him... nope.

16Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 3:16 am

Telstar

Telstar

Let's face it Franken was doomed when he stood up to Jeff Sessions and exposed him for the traitor he is and always has been along with child molesting pig in our White House. This was nothing less than a high tech lynching carried out by a savage tribe of sub human mongrels that call themselves republicans. Each and every member of that tribe needs to be put down and they will be when REAL Americans come to their senses. Don't worry about Franken because he could hook up with Bernie and do some real damage against 45 in 2020 or go back on SNL and hammer the dotard and his family of savage headhunters and soviet whores week after week Laughing Laughing Laughing

17Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 1:47 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Now if only the orange jackass and his ilk would follow suit...

Impossible to expect evil people to denounce predators.  Our salvation is most Americans are good people, and even though Franken was an evil democrat, most Americans really liked the man after watching him on SNL and his use of humor to do his job in the senate.  I think Americans have seen the stark difference in morality independent of politics.  Sexual predators are on both sides of the aisle.  No one side has the high ground in a political sense because there are moral absolutes, and fondling 14 year old children when you are in a powerful position, or bragging that you can grab P---y because rich and powerful people can get away with it.   It has been this historical merging of absolute power with sexual exploitation which made a great movie in Braveheart because we were appalled, yet if Franken had not resigned all standards of decency would degrade to the point that President Trump and new Senator Moore can demand the right of first night with any American female child.   These are simple moral choices, and most Americans have a mother, sister, or daughter who understand that Al did the right thing.

Al Franken is NOT evil. What he's accused of is not even in the same ballpark as Moore and the baboon in the White House. I am furious with the Dems who threw him under the bus.

18Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 2:03 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The question has been asked several times on various talk shows as to why the last allegation against Franken was the straw that broke the camel's back. What was it about this last claim that caused all the Senators to publicly call for his resignation. As yet I have not heard any explanation for this other than "enough is enough" sort of response. Perhaps 7 is a magic number?

I think he was asked to resign simply to remove the ubiquitous Republican talking point/retort from their arsenal of responses. Every time one of their members was questioned about a Republican's behavior they would come back with, "Well, what about Al Franken?" Now this question has been answered.

Will this put pressure on other misbehaving Republicans? Pressure, yes but resignations (?) who knows. All they seem to care about, their reason for living, is to pay fewer taxes and to cut social welfare programs for the working poor and middle classes. The end, to them, seems to justify the means and if that means electing and serving with a guy who was banned from the mall for trolling young girls...well it will be worth it.

19Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 2:16 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

othershoe1030 wrote:The question has been asked several times on various talk shows as to why the last allegation against Franken was the straw that broke the camel's back. What was it about this last claim that caused all the Senators to publicly call for his resignation. As yet I have not heard any explanation for this other than "enough is enough" sort of response. Perhaps 7 is a magic number?

I think he was asked to resign simply to remove the ubiquitous Republican talking point/retort from their arsenal of responses. Every time one of their members was questioned about a Republican's behavior they would come back with, "Well, what about Al Franken?" Now this question has been answered.

Will this put pressure on other misbehaving Republicans? Pressure, yes but resignations (?) who knows. All they seem to care about, their reason for living, is to pay fewer taxes and to cut social welfare programs for the working poor and middle classes. The end, to them, seems to justify the means and if that means electing and serving with a guy who was banned from the mall for trolling young girls...well it will be worth it.

Absolutely....it had NOTHING to do with his repetitive behaviour and disregard for women. Way to exonerate him.

20Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 3:18 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:The question has been asked several times on various talk shows as to why the last allegation against Franken was the straw that broke the camel's back. What was it about this last claim that caused all the Senators to publicly call for his resignation. As yet I have not heard any explanation for this other than "enough is enough" sort of response. Perhaps 7 is a magic number?

Absolutely....it had NOTHING to do with his repetitive behaviour and disregard for women. Way to exonerate him.

What repetitive behavior. Please cite an example of anything approaching trolling teenage girls at the mall and the YMCA...walking in on a room full of naked young girls at a beauty pageant...numerous attempts to seduce women while the wife is in another room...et al, ad nauseum.

21Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 4:11 pm

2seaoat

Yes, the overall stance of the Dems is correct.

Again, immoral behavior is on both sides of the aisle. Making the correct moral choice is not a political choice. Yes, for the continued sovereign immunity for people in power to do what they want, I guess you could argue it is political, but I could not disagree more. Al Franken like Trump figured his fame could let him get away with fondling a sleeping woman's breasts.......sorry this has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with powerful and famous people not having to answer for their transgressions. I personally think if this went to an ethics investigation there really would not be a pattern of his abuse of power, and that it was more of him trying to be funny. Sorry, people are making excuses for Moore. Is it too much to ask to elect people who respect their marriage vows and the age of consent for children to be involved in sexual conduct?

F the politics. If you are cheating on your family and abusing a staffer, and then pay them off with taxpayer money, I do not want to hear a political analysis. I want the bastards gone. Yes, an accuser can be lying, but when we see photographic evidence and repeated complaints, Al was not thrown under the bus.....he chose to crawl under the same with his behavior.

22Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 4:53 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

What repetitive behavior.  Please cite an example of anything approaching trolling teenage girls at the mall and the YMCA...walking in on a room full of naked young girls at a beauty pageant...numerous attempts to seduce women while the wife is in another room...et al, ad nauseum.

Mounting allegations.

23Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 5:18 pm

2seaoat

The very attempt to compare transgressions give abusers cover. If they can get this discussion to be political, the power structure wins. It is simple. Immoral behavior and abuse of celebrity or power is no excuse to assault another human being.

They tell the story of me going to a Christmas party after my lung was removed where I was weak but wanted to attend. They had all these goodies at the dinning room table which people were milling around and picking food up for their munching plate. Well as I was bending to get the plate I lost my balance and reached out instinctively grabbing two breasts to regain my balance. All the woman start getting in a tizzy that I just grabbed cheryl's breasts......which I most certainly did, and cheryl looked at me and said I saw you lose your balance, but that was a pretty good feel was it not? Well I was blushing, because it was definitely quite the grab. Fortunately, they all know my eagle scout reputation, but I did notice when I went back for more snacks the women vacated the dining room for fear that the breast grabber was loose. I took a lot of chit every year at that Christmas party about grabbing whatever I wanted.

24Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/8/2017, 5:59 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Lol... nice spread. Gawd... that's probably sexist. I resign.

25Franken Announces Resignation Empty Re: Franken Announces Resignation 12/10/2017, 1:12 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

What repetitive behavior.  Please cite an example of anything approaching trolling teenage girls at the mall and the YMCA...walking in on a room full of naked young girls at a beauty pageant...numerous attempts to seduce women while the wife is in another room...et al, ad nauseum.

Mounting allegations.

FOUR ANONYMOUS ACCUSERS...how convenient. No one has accused him of coming on to teenagers, or sexual assault, or CHEATING, Seaoat. Leeanne has a credibility problem...she was the first. I hug my friends, both male and female. Most of them know it doesn't mean I want to have sex with them...DUH! And if one of them gets a wrong impression (which has happened) they are quickly disabused of that notion. WTH is wrong with people? Adults should be able to discern the difference between sexual predatory behavior and whatever this is. Just because someone is accused doesn't mean he's guilty. And, aside from that, both Drumpf and Moore have other issues which are serious and indicate that they're incapable of doing the job.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum