Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poll: What do you do for a living?

+8
Yella
VectorMan
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
no stress
TEOTWAWKI
Hospital Bob
gulfbeachbandit
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yomama wrote:One of my cartographer GIS jobs was one of 4 project leads (supervisors) where we converted all of Alabama Power's paper maps to an geodatabase. That was interesting. Here's a small portion of one of their maps

Poll:  What do you do for a living? - Page 3 Demo10

In their geodatabase, you could click on a dot on the map (pole) and the database would tell them how big around the pole is, how tall it is, who was the manufacturer, when it was installed, how many guy wires it has attached to it, whether it has been retreated, etc.

The same kind of info was in the database for switches, wires, transformers, reclosers, capacitor banks, and all the other stuff dealing with the electrical distribution grid.

Before or after Ivan ?

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Before or after Ivan ?

The map was before Ivan. We were done with our conversion in 2003, I think.

I'll tell you what happens when a hurricane threatens the coast. Before the hurricane hits they print 7 copies of every map on a high speed printer about the size of a refrigerator, and the paper streams into a folding machine which is about the size of a refrigerator. You hear clunk, clunk, clunk and the map (unfolded about 3 x 4 feet) spits out folded with the title corner visible. They then take the maps and ship them to the emergency restoration crews so they can build it back just like it was on the maps. If it was washed away in Ivan, they can build it back exactly like it was before, including accurate GPS positions of the poles.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yomama wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Before or after Ivan ?

The map was before Ivan. We were done with our conversion in 2003, I think.

I'll tell you what happens when a hurricane threatens the coast. Before the hurricane hits they print 7 copies of every map on a high speed printer about the size of a refrigerator, and the paper streams into a folding machine which is about the size of a refrigerator. You hear clunk, clunk, clunk and the map (unfolded about 3 x 4 feet) spits out folded with the title corner visible. They then take the maps and ship them to the emergency restoration crews so they can build it back just like it was on the maps. If it was washed away in Ivan, they can build it back exactly like it was before, including accurate GPS positions of the poles.

Dang that's neat...didn't know that

I spent many years working in the wind industry doing everything from building turbines to working in the warehouse to working in the office in Global Supply Chain Management. I always worked very closely with the trucking industry (needed to know when my parts were coming in!) and transitioned to Agency Manager and Global Supply Chain Manager for the local Landstar trucking agency a while back.

I am a very happy and lucky girl who has always been fortunate enough to have great jobs doing really neat things. While I was at university and before, I always worked seasonally for the Forest Service.

Never had a job I didn't love.

sadly... it's probably not a good idea to list your work place.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

riceme wrote:I spent many years working in the wind industry doing everything from building turbines to working in the warehouse to working in the office in Global Supply Chain Management. I always worked very closely with the trucking industry (needed to know when my parts were coming in!) and transitioned to Agency Manager and Global Supply Chain Manager for the local Landstar trucking agency a while back.

I am a very happy and lucky girl who has always been fortunate enough to have great jobs doing really neat things. While I was at university and before, I always worked seasonally for the Forest Service.

That's a really good testimonial, Rice. Early on, a Marine Corps Captain I was flying as copilot with told me if you love your job 80% of the time and hate it 20% of the time, you have a good fit. I used that a guide for my own life my entire working career. I loved every place I worked, and most of the time, his wisdom proved to be true.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

riceme wrote:I spent many years working in the wind industry doing everything from building turbines to working in the warehouse to working in the office in Global Supply Chain Management. I always worked very closely with the trucking industry (needed to know when my parts were coming in!) and transitioned to Agency Manager and Global Supply Chain Manager for the local Landstar trucking agency a while back.

So is that how you knew my ex wife ? Forestry service ?

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
riceme wrote:

That's a really good testimonial, Rice. Early on, a Marine Corps Captain I was flying as copilot with told me if you love your job 80% of the time and hate it 20% of the time, you have a good fit. I used that a guide for my own life my entire working career. I loved every place I worked, and most of the time, his wisdom proved to be true.

Yup. And don't get me wrong... For most all of my career I have had very high-stress and extremely demanding jobs, but I really wouldn't have it any other way. I am one of those people who just can't operate any other way. I like it like that.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Yessir. She worked right over the mountains from me. I worked out of the ranger district that was due West of her, on the same forest. I worked directly for Ann A., who I am sure your ex-wife also knows.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

riceme wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Yessir. She worked right over the mountains from me. I worked out of the ranger district that was due West of her, on the same forest. I worked directly for Ann A., who I am sure your ex-wife also knows.

Wow small world..I spent quite a bit of time in that modified log cabin the forestry service paid too much to rent....loved it there.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
riceme wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Wow small world..I spent quite a bit of time in that modified log cabin the forestry service paid too much to rent....loved it there.

Oh, up in J'dale, I surmise?? I spent many weeks up there w/ my crews when the mountain roads were closed between the two districts and we had work to do on that side of the district. We had a lot of fun up there, and did a lot of misbehavin'!

Wink

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I should have been killed on the Kern River road many times. My best time was 15 minutes and a few seconds at the start of the curves to the end. I guess it wasn't my time....My ex and I took a drive one night with the top down up the mountain and all the way around and down to Kennedy acres where all the nuts from the military weapons base lived off the grid. 150 miles...a memory I cherish with all those stars and brisk air . We had a picnic at the highest point at a little stop and view in the dark with not a soul for miles....

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I am retired now but once owned a historic hotel/restaurant in Colorado, worked as a correctional officer in a medium security men's prison, taught first grade and then became a school librarian. In the meantime I made investments in real estate and now enjoy working in hand built ceramics.

I feel lucky to have lived in the Pacific Northwest, desert SW, Rocky Mountain area, rural South and now in the Milton area where I can enjoy the beach and the Gulf. Life is Good.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I should have been killed on the Kern River road many times. My best time was 15 minutes and a few seconds at the start of the curves to the end. I guess it wasn't my time....My ex and I took a drive one night with the top down up the mountain and all the way around and down to Kennedy acres where all the nuts from the military weapons base lived off the grid. 150 miles...a memory I cherish with all those stars and brisk air . We had a picnic at the highest point at a little stop and view in the dark with not a soul for miles....

I grew up on those mountain roads, as I spent at least 3-weeks each summer up at Monanche Meadows (only accessible via Jeep, unless you're an extremely skilled driver in a 4WD longbed pickup), and I was fortunate enough to learn to drive off-road and on the Kern River Road and the North Fork Road as well. Treacherous, so far as paved roads go. I have always been grateful that we were taught how to really DRIVE and didn't just get stuck into automatic tranny sedans and get shown how to "go" and "stop." I *always* carry chains (not those worthless wussy cable "chains"), a shovel, axe, splitting maul, and a Pulaski, and burlap sacks (oh, and a basic tool set and fluids, of course) in case I get "delayed." You're only "stuck" if you have to call for help to get your ass out LOL! The Lion's Trail (Isabella to the 58) and The Canyon (Isabella to Bakersfield) are no picnic either.

I have spent more nights than I can count up there in the backcountry in my secret spots (not in campgrounds) because I don't like to camp around other people. I prefer to be by myself when I go out there... peace and quiet, can see the stars (or meteor showers!) better, no one but the wildlife to listen to... That's the life, my friend. I don't take many people to my secret spots. Wink

I once camped up at Baker Peak Lookout by myself. Although it was in the middle of summer, it was colder than all get-out! Because you have to shimmy all the way around the peak on the tiniest ledge of rock (which is forever breaking off under your feet, and which has a 1000+ ft drop below you) to get to the lookout, I obviously could not take much with me. So... I froze my scrawny ass off. But the clear, starry night and sunrise views were well worth it!

MAN, am I ever happy to finally be home! I do have to say that I miss fishing and EATING fresh fish on the Gulf Coast, though.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

riceme wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I should have been killed on the Kern River road many times. My best time was 15 minutes and a few seconds at the start of the curves to the end. I guess it wasn't my time....My ex and I took a drive one night with the top down up the mountain and all the way around and down to Kennedy acres where all the nuts from the military weapons base lived off the grid. 150 miles...a memory I cherish with all those stars and brisk air . We had a picnic at the highest point at a little stop and view in the dark with not a soul for miles....

I grew up on those mountain roads, as I spent at least 3-weeks each summer up at Monanche Meadows (only accessible via Jeep, unless you're an extremely skilled driver in a 4WD longbed pickup), and I was fortunate enough to learn to drive off-road and on the Kern River Road and the North Fork Road as well. Treacherous, so far as paved roads go. I have always been grateful that we were taught how to really DRIVE and didn't just get stuck into automatic tranny sedans and get shown how to "go" and "stop." I *always* carry chains (not those worthless wussy cable "chains"), a shovel, axe, splitting maul, and a Pulaski, and burlap sacks (oh, and a basic tool set and fluids, of course) in case I get "delayed." You're only "stuck" if you have to call for help to get your ass out LOL! The Lion's Trail (Isabella to the 58) and The Canyon (Isabella to Bakersfield) are no picnic either.

I have spent more nights than I can count up there in the backcountry in my secret spots (not in campgrounds) because I don't like to camp around other people. I prefer to be by myself when I go out there... peace and quiet, can see the stars (or meteor showers!) better, no one but the wildlife to listen to... That's the life, my friend. I don't take many people to my secret spots. Wink

I once camped up at Baker Peak Lookout by myself. Although it was in the middle of summer, it was colder than all get-out! Because you have to shimmy all the way around the peak on the tiniest ledge of rock (which is forever breaking off under your feet, and which has a 1000+ ft drop below you) to get to the lookout, I obviously could not take much with me. So... I froze my scrawny ass off. But the clear, starry night and sunrise views were well worth it!

MAN, am I ever happy to finally be home! I do have to say that I miss fishing and EATING fresh fish on the Gulf Coast, though.

I envy you your wonderful experiences in a beautiful place. I wound up back here and didn't get near enough time there. I never worked so hard to try to stay with a woman. Alas all things seem to end . My granddaughter that passed away was named Isabel. Every time I drove by that town I thought of her. Kernville was my idea of perfect. Small friendly and small...did I mention small ? Their claim to fame was that Barbara Streisand had her honey moon there. Once in a while Nicolas cage or Jeff bridges came up there to get away from it all. I still have holes in both my bicycle tires from those danged goats horn thorns on the roadside. I used that green slime like all the other locals did to keep from going flat. It still works I just have to pump them up every time I ride. The ex is engaged and livin large in Colorado now and I wish her well. Them is some BIG mountains where you are.

Oh and I think it was Kennedy Meadows not acres...I also liked Shirley meadows and leaving a warm beautiful day and in an hours drive up a steep road I was putting on chains and playing in the snow.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
I envy you your wonderful experiences in a beautiful place. I wound up back here and didn't get near enough time there. I never worked so hard to try to stay with a woman. Alas all things seem to end . My granddaughter that passed away was named Isabel. Every time I drove by that town I thought of her. Kernville was my idea of perfect. Small friendly and small...did I mention small ? Their claim to fame was that Barbara Streisand had her honey moon there. Once in a while Nicolas cage or Jeff bridges came up there to get away from it all. I still have holes in both my bicycle tires from those danged goats horn thorns on the roadside. I used that green slime like all the other locals did to keep from going flat. It still works I just have to pump them up every time I ride. The ex is engaged and livin large in Colorado now and I wish her well. Them is some BIG mountains where you are.

Oh and I think it was Kennedy Meadows not acres...I also liked Shirley meadows and leaving a warm beautiful day and in an hours drive up a steep road I was putting on chains and playing in the snow.

Hmm... If you thought Kernville was perfect, I have to wonder if you've ever been to the town I was born and raised in, and happily now live in again. I'm pretty sure I've told you before via email, but I'll ask ya anyhow. It is far more beautiful than K'ville, completely surrounded by mountains... close-up. Not as far away as the mountains to the East and South of K'ville are. Half of my family used to live in Isabella and K'ville, and some of them still do, so I spend a lot of time down there. Oh hey, you all ever eat at McNalley's up on the North Fork of the Kern?? Best steak you can buy in a restaurant! Puts Kansas to shame!

It's funny, I have never in my life heard of the Hollywood claims to fame you mention. The only claims to fame I know of are Class 5 river rafting and kayaking and the mighty Sierras! Shows how much I pay attention to Hollyweird.

I remember you telling me about your ex living large in Colorado now... what is it, Leadville?

_EDIT_: I learned to ski at Shirley Meadows... My oldest sister took me to the top of the bunny slope (w/the t-bar rope), asked me if I was ready, then shoved me down the hill. LOL. Tough love, eh? Sadly, I can no longer ski after breaking my tibia in half and shattering my patella in half twice, not to mention all the soft-tissue damage, including but not limited to a very damaged meniscus, and at present, an ACL that is attached to nothing. I love to downhill ski, and I miss it tremendously.

Last edited by riceme on 9/24/2012, 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shirley Meadows)

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

riceme wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Hmm... If you thought Kernville was perfect, I have to wonder if you've ever been to the town I was born and raised in, and happily now live in again. I'm pretty sure I've told you before via email, but I'll ask ya anyhow. It is far more beautiful than K'ville, completely surrounded by mountains... close-up. Not as far away as the mountains to the East and South of K'ville are. Half of my family used to live in Isabella and K'ville, and some of them still do, so I spend a lot of time down there. Oh hey, you all ever eat at McNalley's up on the North Fork of the Kern?? Best steak you can buy in a restaurant! Puts Kansas to shame!

It's funny, I have never in my life heard of the Hollywood claims to fame you mention. The only claims to fame I know of are Class 5 river rafting and kayaking and the mighty Sierras! Shows how much I pay attention to Hollyweird.

I remember you telling me about your ex living large in Colorado now... what is it, Leadville?

Bridges like to Kayak and Cage was only there once while I lived there...he brought a movie hung a sheet in the park and people sat on the ground and watched it.. I was out of town but got an earful when I got back. The Barbara story is verifiable though..

The ex was in Golden but got promoted and relocated to Boulder...I don't keep track but I have a friend that knows her on face book and feels the need to let me know.....

Yes if it's the place I am thinking about I ate there 3 times ...It was kind of up on a hill and had a beautiful view of a lake...they did have a great steak.

I lived in an apartment on Burlando drive..bought a motorcycle Suzuki off the landlord.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Bridges like to Kayak and Cage was only there once while I lived there...he brought a movie hung a sheet in the park and people sat on the ground and watched it.. I was out of town but got an earful when I got back. The Barbara story is verifiable though..

The ex was in Golden but got promoted and relocated to Boulder...I don't keep track but I have a friend that knows her on face book and feels the need to let me know.....

Yes if it's the place I am thinking about I ate there 3 times ...It was kind of up on a hill and had a beautiful view of a lake...they did have a great steak.

I lived in an apartment on Burlando drive..bought a motorcycle Suzuki off the landlord.

I don't know why I was thinking your ex was living in as cool a place as Leadville, but pretty much anywhere in Colorado is pretty cool I guess however, living expenses are absolutely OUTRAGEOUS in Boulder, so... yikes!

This is McNally's: http://mcnallysonthekern.com/ ... Are you referring to Ewings on the Eastern edge of K'ville right before you turn onto Kern River Road? No, that can't be right. Ewings has a view of the river. Hmm.

Isn't Burlando Road part of County Road 495, South of K'ville?? Or am I confused?

You've got a couple of PMs.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

riceme wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

I don't know why I was thinking your ex was living in as cool a place as Leadville, but pretty much anywhere in Colorado is pretty cool I guess however, living expenses are absolutely OUTRAGEOUS in Boulder, so... yikes!

This is McNally's: http://mcnallysonthekern.com/ ... Are you referring to Ewings on the Eastern edge of K'ville right before you turn onto Kern River Road? No, that can't be right. Ewings has a view of the river. Hmm.

Isn't Burlando Road part of County Road 495, South of K'ville?? Or am I confused?

You've got a couple of PMs.

I remember that place I could walk there in a few minutes. I only ate there once. The place I am remembering was a bit of a drive and looked like a hunting lodge. Sat off the road up on a bit of a hill. They also had a great steak. I took pictures but I think the ex got all of them. It was a two story building.

Burlando is a major road in Kernville. and winds back up too the left as you enter the town.

Here's a song I sang and used pictures from out there to assemble a video.

riceme wrote:

It's not a job if you don't love it, it then becomes a chore. You know the old saying, "Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life."

2seaoat

lawn maintenance, paper boy, meter reader, foundry grunt, order picker in warehouse, car lot maintenance, machinist, assembler, Inventory control, MRP and capacity planner, method and standards engineer, cost accountant, tax preparer, real estate broker, developer, contractor, title company part owner, campground owner, mortgage originator, bartender, heavy equipment operator, bridge builder, road builder, licensed waste hauler, failed professor, bus boy, dishwasher, truck driver, builder, failed political candidate, Poker player and quite a few more things which I will not mention out of a desire to remain anonymous.

Basketball oh yea.....failed basketball player.

I showed my picture operating my Lull with my granddaughter on my lap in the PNJ.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Markle wrote:
VectorMan wrote:Photographer/Graphic Artist/Hardwood Floor Refinishing/Painter/Handyman/Selling On eBay and if push comes to shove I can drive an 18 wheeler.

I always thought I'd like to learn to drive an 18 wheeler. The really big ones with all the extra sets of wheels. Problem is that I didn't think I'd want to do it for a living. Seems like really hard work.

It can be hard work for sure. Especially if you pull a flat bed trailer and the load has to be strapped down and/or tarped. I did NOT pull a flat bed.

I've been to places and seen things I would never have had I not drove a big truck. I drove from southern Minnesota to International Falls, MN in the middle of their worst snow storm in 50 years. I would nave have done that if I wasn't trying to make a delivery. It was white knuckle driving even going just 10 mph on the interstate.

I also got a load of $40,000.00 worth of pennies from the US Mint in Philadelphia. I pulled up to this massive door, about 3 feet thick. Talked with someone on the intercom and they opened the door. I pulled into the inspection area and these two guys came out with mirrors on poles looking all under the truck and trailer, while the big door closed behind me. After they finished their inspection there was another massive door to go through and move below street level before I could "blind side" back the trailer into the dock.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:lawn maintenance, paper boy, meter reader, foundry grunt, order picker in warehouse, car lot maintenance, machinist, assembler, Inventory control, MRP and capacity planner, method and standards engineer, cost accountant, tax preparer, real estate broker, developer, contractor, title company part owner, campground owner, mortgage originator, bartender, heavy equipment operator, bridge builder, road builder, licensed waste hauler, failed professor, bus boy, dishwasher, truck driver, builder, failed political candidate, Poker player and quite a few more things which I will not mention out of a desire to remain anonymous.

I showed my picture operating my Lull with my granddaughter on my lap in the PNJ.
Yes, I remember that photo from the PNJ. What subject were you teaching when you did the professor thing?

othershoe1030 wrote:Yes, I remember that photo from the PNJ. What subject were you teaching when you did the professor thing?

Studernomics 101

Sorry, SO, I just HAD to do it. Razz

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:lawn maintenance[/color], paper boy, meter reader, foundry grunt, order picker in warehouse, car lot maintenance, machinist, assembler, Inventory control, MRP and capacity planner, method and standards engineer, cost accountant, tax preparer, real estate broker, developer, contractor, title company part owner, campground owner, mortgage originator, bartender, heavy equipment operator, bridge builder, road builder, licensed waste hauler, failed professor, bus boy, dishwasher, truck driver, builder, failed political candidate, Poker player and quite a few more things which I will not mention out of a desire to remain anonymous.

mowed lawns, babysat, dishwasher, broiler cook, door to door sales, construction laborer, housepainter, diver's helper, short order cook, musician, delivered phonebooks, baseball card wholesaler and retailer, coin-operated amusement machine operator, antique picker, antique coin-operated machine restorer, antique radio dealer, antique radio monthly newsletter publisher.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum