Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Took BIL and his wife to Flounders

+5
ZVUGKTUBM
knothead
RealLindaL
cool1
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:SIL fried trigger fish last night......just trigger fish and cheese grits = a happy family.

And heck -- no fat in that meal!    <-----  (Kiddng.  Just envious.  Sounds delish!)

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I did so much fishing in Texas but not so much here because my husband doesn't like fish...I know. He will eat shrimp, oysters (cooked only), and scallops. Once had a 1000' gill net which we would wind up into the back of a Jeep after each pass. It took at least 4 people to pull it...and was legal then. Sometimes nothing but trash, but once we caught 300 fish...mostly redfish and trout...cleaned fish until 3 am...I was asleep on my feet. We always took the time to remove whatever we weren't taking and return it to the water alive, if possible, including the dreaded "hardheads" (ocean catfish). Went snapper fishing off San Luis Pass (SE of Houston), using squid for bait, which is one reason I can't stand squid. That smell and the diesel fuel made me seasick...and I would have been fine until someone puked on my shoes.

My parents also did a lot of fishing and we had a small inboard/outboard. Nothing wrong with freezing fish. My dad used old juice cartons...just make sure you fill it up and fill in the spaces with water.

Some of the best fish I've eaten was grilled with marinara sauce, onions and mild peppers.

Adding some water and salt to the freezer bag has always worked very well for me.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

We froze fresh water fish when I was growing g up. The milk carton method with water.

Salt water fish was mostly mullet. That was cooked and eaten. The more fish we had the more people at dad's fish fry.

Joanimaroni wrote:We froze fresh water fish when I was growing g up.   The milk carton method with water.

Salt water fish was mostly mullet. That was cooked and eaten. The more fish we had the more people at dad's fish fry.

cheers Gulf Coast families...good times.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:We froze fresh water fish when I was growing g up.   The milk carton method with water.

Oh how I miss it. We had the gill nets and a boat with the motor in the middle to set the nets. Too much trouble and too much fish.

My favorite fishing was with a cast net. Dad would throw the net, I cleaned the fish and we cooked it right on the dock. My work schedule was Monday-Thursday. I fished with dad on Friday.

I finally learned to throw a net to surprise my dad...I had a 7 foot net with pink on it....I surprised dad when I threw it....caught a bunch of silver mullet...while I was 7 months pregnant. Dad thought the net was too small and made me 8.5 foot net. I loved it.

Hallmarkgard

Long time ago..  Me at the beach
Took BIL and his wife to Flounders - Page 3 6yci34

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Hallmarkgard wrote:Long time ago..  Me at the beach
Took BIL and his wife to Flounders - Page 3 6yci34

I love it.....I learned to throw my pink net walking along the beach trying to catch a floating mullet. I could only throw the bigger net off the dock.

Joanimaroni wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Oh how I miss it. We had the gill nets and a boat with the motor in the middle to set the nets. Too much trouble and too much fish.

My favorite fishing was with a cast net.  Dad would throw the net, I cleaned the fish and we cooked it right on the dock. My work schedule was Monday-Thursday. I fished with dad on Friday.

I finally learned to throw a net to surprise my dad...I had a 7 foot net with pink on it....I surprised dad when I threw it....caught a bunch of silver mullet...while I was 7 months pregnant. Dad thought the net was too small and made me 8.5 foot net. I loved it.

I remember my Dad and uncle repairing nets.

Hallmark, love the pic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum