Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Update on my wife

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Update on my wife Empty Update on my wife 9/5/2015, 7:12 pm

Hallmarkgard

Good news is that we are making progress. The radiation(33 treatments) was successful in removing the tumor in her lower colon!! It was a major issue but it seems to be not a issue now. The chemo is working and the large Tumor on her liver has been reduced over 30 per cent. Still have a long ways to do but her life has been extended for a little while longer. She is really a brave and strong person. She has elected to go with a more aggressive Chemo plan. This series is really hard but she is doing well with it. Cancer treatment takes quite a learning curve on how to manage all the different meds. But we are learning. Mr Oats posts have really been a great guide on what to expect. Keep us in our thoughts, if you wish.

2Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/5/2015, 7:53 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Hallmarkgard wrote:Good news is that we are making progress.  The radiation(33 treatments) was successful in removing the tumor in her lower colon!!  It was a major issue but it seems to be not a issue now.   The chemo is working and the large Tumor on her liver has been reduced over 30 per cent.   Still have a long ways to do but her life has been extended for a little while longer. She is really a brave and strong person.  She has elected to go with a more aggressive Chemo plan.  This series is really hard but she is doing well with it.  Cancer treatment takes quite a learning curve on how to manage all the different meds.  But we are learning.  Mr Oats posts have really been a great guide  on what to expect.  Keep us in our thoughts, if you wish.  

I'm so glad. Both of you lean on each other for the strenght you need. Prayers continue.

3Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/5/2015, 8:59 pm

by Hallmarkgard Today at 1:12 am
Good news is that we are making progress. The radiation(33 treatments) was successful in removing the tumor in her lower colon!! It was a major issue but it seems to be not a issue now. The chemo is working and the large Tumor on her liver has been reduced over 30 per cent. Still have a long ways to do but her life has been extended for a little while longer. She is really a brave and strong person. She has elected to go with a more aggressive Chemo plan. This series is really hard but she is doing well with it. Cancer treatment takes quite a learning curve on how to manage all the different meds. But we are learning. Mr Oats posts have really been a great guide on what to expect. Keep us in our thoughts, if you wish.
---
Jesus is the Great Physician

4Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/5/2015, 9:51 pm

2seaoat

It is really a matter of time. We are each allotted time, and I am so happy the colon tumor has been addressed because that is a huge quality of life issue. The liver is a tough battle, but shrinking tumors give a person time.....quality time which despite the incredible weakness and being tired allows the brain to enjoy all the wonderful things life has to offer. I enjoy each moment and have the grandkids out this weekend, but I am so tired in this heat. I hope you are keeping her cool and comfortable, and I hope she celebrates Christmas with you this winter because we often overlook the best gift each of us are given.....time and hope.

This handicap ramp and deck have been incredibly hard, but I have a great attitude, and the girls are looking for freshwater pearls, thinking they are easy to find......not understanding I spent 60 years looking for them only to have my granddaughter find one. My daughter smiled as she had the youngest four year old come over with a small stone.......mommy do I have a pearl......enjoy each moment with your wife because like the pearl we sometimes do not quite know how rare and wonderful the pearl of life is......often taken for granted or simply lost in the hectic modern life...slow down and enjoy. My prayers are with your wife.

5Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/7/2015, 6:23 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I didn't know your wife was ill, HMG. I am really out of touch with my forum friends.

Radiation treatment is exhausting, but it sounds like it was worth it for your wife.

Prayers for her.....

6Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/7/2015, 8:46 am

Good news that the treatments are aiding your wife's fighting attitude, HG. Enjoy the simple things. Very Happy

7Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/7/2015, 1:49 pm

Hallmarkgard

Over the years Mr Oats has mentioned the cost of Cancer treatments..So I was some what prepared for the cost of Cancer treatment. We are lucky as my daughter helped us obtain a good insurance policy before all this happened. Since April 12, we have ran up almost 185,000 dollars worth of bills. Fighting cancer is not for the faint hearted. LOL Radation treament billed at 772.00 per visit Times 33, Chemo shots are running between 3 and 5 thousand a shot. Double check your insurance and make sure you have the coverage you need. Thanks for all the comments....

8Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/7/2015, 2:54 pm

Markle

Markle

My prayers are with your wife and you to comfort you both and help guide you through this difficult time in your lives.

9Update on my wife Empty Re: Update on my wife 9/7/2015, 3:43 pm

2seaoat

I got my shots on Friday at Northwestern. They cost 11k per shot. I had been getting two 20mg shots of sandostatin, one in each butt cheek. The tumors kept growing, and my Doctor was able to get my great insurance to cover two 30mg shots of sandostatin. I will turn 64 this December and 65 in 2016.

While I was on the infusion floor, I heard another patient asking whether anybody gets 60mg of shots because his doctor told him medicare will only approve the 40mg monthly. I explained to him how unpleasant it will become if I do live to 65 because the sando keeps my symptoms under control and slows the tumor growth. I will have a choice at 65. To either have a terrible time of it as I slowly fade away with the reduced sando injections, or I can travel to Canada to Windsor, the closest spot from where I live, and pay $1,500 for a twenty Mg. shot and whatever the clinic will charge for the injection. The Canadian price used to be over $2,500 per 20mg, but they have negotiated the price down, and the exchange rate has become more favorable. This will mean about 21k out of pocket medical bills at 65. I will have to continue working in one business in order to afford that, but it is no big deal because I am only working about 20% of what I used to work.

It is critical to do careful analysis of your insurance policies. The supplementals with medicare, and to look for alternatives which will allow folks to survive when facing the Big C. I seldom show emotion, but when I see sick people who cannot get these shots or have them reduced because insurance companies feel the medications are still in the experimental stage, I just hang my head. When I see a young mother with children battling this disease, it overpowers me. I spoke with my 90 year old mother this morning who is in hospice, and she probably has less than a week. Her parts have simply worn out, and we share a very positive attitude. She is thankful that her mind has been lucid and clear to the end, and this is strange.....I do not feel that deep sadness when my own 90 year old mother is about to pass because I know she has had a happy and fulfilling life and it is time, but it is really hard to see Cancer taking young mothers who have not lived, who will not get to share their lives with their children....month after month of visiting the infusion floor and seeing how unfair life can be at times. So I try not to dwell on it until my visit next month, and today I picked up some lumber and needed help with loading the same.....I explained to the fork lift driver who helped me load, that I was building a handicap ramp to my house and I want them to say when the are wheeling me out....."damn....this is a good ramp"......He became silent put his head down, made some cuts of the wood and came over just laughing.....he said I tried to keep the laughter in, but damn that was funny......enjoy every moment and live life to the fullest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum