Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Took BIL and his wife to Flounders

+5
ZVUGKTUBM
knothead
RealLindaL
cool1
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RealLindaL wrote:Presume you're not eating fried fish, though, right? How do you prepare the cod?   I've always considered that a rather strong tasting fish but don't know that I've ever tried the Icelandic variety, if that makes a difference.  

We, too, eat very little red meat (beef, pork, lamb & veal) for heart health, especially hubby's due to history of troubles.    Totally get the heavenly treat of a double cheeseburger.   We treat ourselves to a beef burger a couple or maybe three times a year, tops -- faves are at Sidelines and Holiday Inn Resort on the beach.  The latter serves a delicious fat burger on a "sweet sourdough" bun that's out of this world.  Sundays we cook a homemade turkey burger on the grill, but it's nowhere near the same....

No, not fried, even though I love it. My wife prepares the cod in the oven. She seasons it with some spices beforehand. It always goes in the oven at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. If we lived closer to Joe Patti's, we'd probably buy our fish from there. Publix is just a few blocks away, so it is convenient.

I love a good steak and an occasional burger. Been eating lots more fish and chicken since I became a heart patient in November of 2014. We do pork on occasion.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Presume you're not eating fried fish, though, right? How do you prepare the cod?   I've always considered that a rather strong tasting fish but don't know that I've ever tried the Icelandic variety, if that makes a difference.  

We, too, eat very little red meat (beef, pork, lamb & veal) for heart health, especially hubby's due to history of troubles.    Totally get the heavenly treat of a double cheeseburger.   We treat ourselves to a beef burger a couple or maybe three times a year, tops -- faves are at Sidelines and Holiday Inn Resort on the beach.  The latter serves a delicious fat burger on a "sweet sourdough" bun that's out of this world.  Sundays we cook a homemade turkey burger on the grill, but it's nowhere near the same....

No, not fried, even though I love it. My wife prepares the cod in the oven. She seasons it with some spices beforehand. It always goes in the oven at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. If we lived closer to Joe Patti's, we'd probably buy our fish from there. Publix is just a few blocks away, so it is convenient.

I love a good steak and an occasional burger. Been eating lots more fish and chicken since I became a heart patient in November of 2014. We do pork on occasion.

Thanks for the info on cooking the cod.  Publix is a lot more convenient for us, too, though every couple of months we'll stop at Patti's and buy few items for the freezer. (I know, it's sacrilege to freeze fresh fish, but sometimes ya just gotta.)  Have never noticed cod there but then I haven't been looking for it.

What we do at home to get a fried fish "feel" is to make "oven fried" (baked) fish (usually cat or redfish) using panko bread crumbs with my seasonings, and cooking spray.  Easy and pretty tasty, actually.  Recipe available if anyone's interested. Won't be hurt if not.  

Totally understand the sacrifices one must make as a heart patient, including the beloved steak, which we say we'll allow ourselves once a quarter but probably don't even have that often. One of the toughest things to give up (harder for me than for him, I think) was the Christmas prime rib.  That stuff is deadly.  

But all these measures must do some good, or so we hope, because I can tell you that my older hubby had his (fortunately mild) heart attack in 1994 and is still going strong.  He did undergo triple bypass in 2001 but that was the last significant episode, knock on wood.  Of course we need to give  credit to his meds, too, and a LOT of credit, we're firmly convinced, to our regular exercise (walking or biking).

Don't know your story (again, am late to the party here), but may you do even better, Z-man!

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:During snapper season I go to the marina and skulk behind the tourists arriving from a long day on the water . . . . when the fish are cleaned I ask for the carcasses (for crab traps) then go home and take the throats, a real pain to do which also is why I would NEVER mention that to clientele to save the captain from having to take the extra time to extract the throats.
Linda the texture of the throat is totally different . . . . more dense.
Delicious . . . . . . a real treat!

Why knot, you are a sneaky but resourceful individual!! LOL Good for you!

May have to give Aegean a call and see if they'll offer snapper throats as a special once in a while....

VectorMan

VectorMan

Joanimaroni wrote:Took BIL and his wife to Flounders - Page 2 Check_10

Snapper throat.

I hope PETA doesn't come after you for posting that pic Very Happy

My Dad and Brother were REAL fisherman in Mobile Bay and the Gulf.

Flounder is my favorite. It was also my Mother's favorite. So I didn't get as much of that as I did the Red Fish......an awesome fish in it's own right!

I tried to post a pic of my Brother holding a huge Red Fish he'd caught. I guess I don't know how to do it.

knothead

knothead

VectorMan wrote:

Snapper throat.

Flounder is my favorite. It was also my Mother's favorite. So I didn't get as much of that as I did the Red Fish......an awesome fish in it's own right!

I tried  to post a pic of my Brother holding a huge Red Fish he'd caught. I guess I don't know how to do it.

We have a pic of yours truly on our fridge holding a 29+red snapper caught offshore in 380' of water . . . . . omg fun? Heck yeah but it was akin to pulling an angry anvil up on a thread . . . . had it not been for a twenty something deck hand holding on to me from behind by my belt that sucker would have pulled me overboard perhaps . . . . anyway my biggest snapper ever.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

VectorMan wrote:

Snapper throat.

I tried  to post a pic of my Brother holding a huge Red Fish he'd caught. I guess I don't know how to do it.

Years ago when living in Gulf Breeze proper, the red fish would run daily around 4-5 pm. The recent public beach access dispute on Catawba St. off Shoreline was were we fished.
My friend's son  caught a 6 1/2 lb  25'" red fish.....that was our biggest. Loved our daily fishing and loved the fresh red fish.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 3/8/2016, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

RealLindaL

Hmmm....seem to be finding online the same pic Joani posted here except described as cheeks, not throats.  Will admit that the location above the mouth would seem to make sense as a cheek....but what do I know??      Confused here.   Joani and knot (and/or others) feel free to set me straight, please.

I can't believe y'all don't have pompano near the top of your lists. It's a firm clean filet and tastes great. The other top fishes to me are flounder, cobia, trigger, amberjack, snook. I couldn't imagine buying shipped in frozen fish down there.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Joanimaroni wrote:
VectorMan wrote:

Snapper throat.

Years ago when living in Gulf Breeze proper, the red fish would run daily around 4-5 pm. The recent public beach access dispute on Catawba St. off Shoreline was were we fished.
My friend's son  caught a 6 1/2 lb  25' red fish.....that was our biggest. Loved our daily fishing and loved the fresh red fish.

Taking a closer look at that pic and I'd say it was the bottom side of a flounder.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Took BIL and his wife to Flounders - Page 2 Mike-316

My brother with a big Red Fish. Notice the oil rigs in the background? My Dad and Brother are tied to a older shut down rig. The Red Fish loved hanging out around those rigs.

I think you have to click on the pic to get a better view.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:Hmmm....seem to be finding online the same pic Joani posted here except described as cheeks, not throats.  Will admit that the location above the mouth would seem to make sense as a cheek....but what do I know??      Confused here.   Joani and knot (and/or others) feel free to set me straight, please.

Snapper cheeks and throats are something with which I am familiar. . . . both are specialty fare because it takes more than a little effort to extract making it inefficient (labor wise) to market successfully or at least that's my take on it. I agree with Vector that the pic shown looks like a flounder and it would require a doormat to make it worth your while. Another seafood delight was introduced to me by an old New Orleans gentleman and that was shrimp throats believe it or not. He told me that they were sometimes on the dinner appetizer menu at the Roosevelt Hotel in downtown NO . . . . it requires using jumbo obviously . . . . once the tail of the shrimp is removed you then take the head and grasp the rear 4 legs dangling and pull gently and this dislodges a generous clump of shrimp which is flash fried. Weird to me but we tried it and they were tasty but not worth the effort!

Hallmarkgard

Most of you know that most of all the shrimp you get from the Gulf is frozen.  Many Gulf boats stay out from 25 to 30 days so ice is no longer a option.  They use a Brine tank (Maybe 4 by 2 by 10ft"  The tank has larger freezing coil in it and is able to drawn the mixture of salt and water down to well below 32 degrees.  The brine tank also has a agitator to help in freezing the shrimp  After the Shrimp are "picked"  they are loaded in Onion sacks and placed in the brine tank.  The churning water keeps the shrimp from sticking together so each shrimp is individually frozen.  After the brine tank they are placed into the freezer hold until they get back to the dock.  Took BIL and his wife to Flounders - Page 2 1z1chlt

knothead

knothead

Hallmarkgard wrote:Most of you know that most of all the shrimp you get from the Gulf is frozen.  Many Gulf boats stay out from 25 to 30 days so ice is no longer a option.  They use a Brine tank (Maybe 4 by 2 by 10ft"  The tank has larger freezing coil in it and is able to drawn the mixture of salt and water down to well below 32 degrees.  The brine tank also has a agitator to help in freezing the shrimp  After the Shrimp are "picked"  they are loaded in Onion sacks and placed in the brine tank.  The churning water keeps the shrimp from sticking together so each shrimp is individually frozen.  After the brine tank they are placed into the freezer hold until they get back to the dock.  Took BIL and his wife to Flounders - Page 2 1z1chlt

Very interesting Hallmark, never knew this, thanks for the post!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

When I was stationed here from 1981-1984, I befriended a couple of elderly ladies who were from Jamaica. I had some local friends who liked to fish, and we would go fishing and bring some fish back to give to these ladies. They always told us not to clean the fish we gave them. They grew-up eating the whole fish, and claimed that the head is the best part of the fish to eat. One of these ladies told me that their mother would bake a large fish for dinner for the whole family to eat, and the kids would argue over who got to eat the head.

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:
Hallmarkgard wrote:Most of you know that most of all the shrimp you get from the Gulf is frozen.  Many Gulf boats stay out from 25 to 30 days so ice is no longer a option.  They use a Brine tank (Maybe 4 by 2 by 10ft"  The tank has larger freezing coil in it and is able to drawn the mixture of salt and water down to well below 32 degrees.  The brine tank also has a agitator to help in freezing the shrimp  After the Shrimp are "picked"  they are loaded in Onion sacks and placed in the brine tank.  The churning water keeps the shrimp from sticking together so each shrimp is individually frozen.  After the brine tank they are placed into the freezer hold until they get back to the dock.  Took BIL and his wife to Flounders - Page 2 1z1chlt

Very interesting Hallmark, never knew this, thanks for the post!

Wow, I never knew this either, but it totally explains something I've always wondered about.  At Joe Patti's, where they have all the watery tanks of "fresh" shrimp to choose from, you can ask for virtually any of those varieties frozen instead and they run in the back and bring them right out.  I never asked how that could be, since they're all supposed to be fresh, but, thinking about it, I guess the signs in front of each tank only give the variety, don't say whether or not they're "previously frozen."  Hmm....so maybe when I ask for them frozen, I'm actually doing myself a favor since I usually plan to "refreeze" them when I get home.

But I'm betting that a very large percentage of buyers consider the shrimp as not previously frozen.  I guess we were all wrong.  Thanks, Hallmark.  Live and learn.

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:When I was stationed here from 1981-1984, I befriended a couple of elderly ladies who were from Jamaica. I had some local friends who liked to fish, and we would go fishing and bring some fish back to give to these ladies. They always told us not to clean the fish we gave them. They grew-up eating the whole fish, and claimed that the head is the best part of the fish to eat. One of these ladies told me that their mother would bake a large fish for dinner for the whole family to eat, and the kids would argue over who got to eat the head.

Fascinating! Who knew kids wouldn't be freaked out by fish heads??!!

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:When I was stationed here from 1981-1984, I befriended a couple of elderly ladies who were from Jamaica. I had some local friends who liked to fish, and we would go fishing and bring some fish back to give to these ladies. They always told us not to clean the fish we gave them. They grew-up eating the whole fish, and claimed that the head is the best part of the fish to eat. One of these ladies told me that their mother would bake a large fish for dinner for the whole family to eat, and the kids would argue over who got to eat the head.

Fascinating!  Who knew kids wouldn't be freaked out by fish heads??!!  

I have a very good friend who is a Cuban coming here legally and he too will not allow me to clean his fish at my house where I have a fish cleaning table and I wondered why . . . . he told me he cooks the whole fish, eyeballs and all . . . . live and learn indeed!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RealLindaL wrote:Fascinating!  Who knew kids wouldn't be freaked out by fish heads??!!  

Being a biology major in college, the semester I took General Animal Parasitology, I would make trips to the local pier and wait by the fish-cleaning station to ask fishermen if I could have their fish-heads and guts to take back to the lab for examination of parasites. I'd find trematodes, tape worms, nematodes--a virtual treasure-trove of material. We had to mount our parasites on slides and then key them out to what species they were.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Thanks Hallmark...I knew Patti's boats stayed out weeks at a time and shrimped and fished off the coast of South America. In fact Old man Joe owned an island off of South America.

When I was young we'd go way into the north ends of pcola bay... escambia and east... to collect shrimp in the saw grass. It was pretty easy to get nice sized ones and as many as you wanted. The grass tore you up... but they sure were tasty fresh.

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:I can't believe y'all don't have pompano near the top of your lists. It's a firm clean filet and tastes great. The other top fishes to me are flounder, cobia, trigger, amberjack, snook. I couldn't imagine buying shipped in frozen fish down there.

I didn't know we were supposed to name ALL the fish we like.  I enjoy every variety you named except have never had snook, and sometimes amberjack tastes a little strong since my preference is a very mild white fish (though I do love salmon and tuna).  I would add mahi-mahi to the list as well.

To my knowledge all the fish I buy here is not previously frozen, but then I thought that about the shrimp, too, until Hallmark popped that particular balloon.

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Fascinating!  Who knew kids wouldn't be freaked out by fish heads??!!  

Being a biology major in college, the semester I took General Animal Parasitology, I would make trips to the local pier and wait by the fish-cleaning station to ask fishermen if I could have their fish-heads and guts to take back to the lab for examination of parasites. I'd find trematodes, tape worms, nematodes--a virtual treasure-trove of material. We had to mount our parasites on slides and then key them out to what species they were.

Gonna try very hard to forget this post. lol

RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I can't believe y'all don't have pompano near the top of your lists. It's a firm clean filet and tastes great. The other top fishes to me are flounder, cobia, trigger, amberjack, snook. I couldn't imagine buying shipped in frozen fish down there.

I didn't know we were supposed to name ALL the fish we like.  I enjoy every variety you named except have never had snook, and sometimes amberjack tastes a little strong since my preference is a very mild white fish (though I do love salmon and tuna).  I would add mahi-mahi to the list as well.

To my knowledge all the fish I buy here is not previously frozen, but then I thought that about the shrimp, too, until Hallmark popped that particular balloon.

A great addition... I also enjoy redfish and trout... but they are only really good if fresh. I can say that you would love pompano. It's firm white meat that is the mildest fish taste you'll find. It takes marinade well and is best grilled. It's also very fun to catch. Right off the beach. You set up a few poles and then sit back and relax... makes for a great day and is very kid friendly.

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

A great addition... I also enjoy redfish and trout... but they are only really good if fresh. I can say that you would love pompano. It's firm white meat that is the mildest fish taste you'll find. It takes marinade well and is best grilled. It's also very fun to catch. Right off the beach. You set up a few poles and then sit back and relax... makes for a great day and is very kid friendly.

I do love pompano though it's usually only available for a short time at market in the spring.  I haven't done any surf fishing here -- maybe someday.  Frankly, I'm a swimmer and frequently get annoyed by surf fisherpeople who park their poles in the sand right next to (or sometimes right in front of!) where I and/or other beach goers have already parked our chairs.  And of course once they send out their baited hooks, it makes swimming very iffy and non-relaxing, not only because of the chance of mixing it up with a hook, but because of the possibility of the bait's attracting sharks.  I'm sure you never do this, Pkr, but it is SO inconsiderate.  Many times I've wanted to suggest that these people (usually guys, but not always) kindly take their fishing out of the neighborhoods and down into the far less crowded National Seashore beaches.  Not sure why they don't think to do that in the first place, unless they think it's just too far to drive or something.   But anyway, I almost always just grit my teeth and wait for them to eventually leave, or to get the hint from someone else.  One never knows how a stranger will react to being confronted, no matter how gently.

I think I mentioned redfish above in the bit about oven frying - Patti has great redfish fillets.  Also love trout!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SIL fried trigger fish last night......just trigger fish and cheese grits = a happy family.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum