Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FOR NEKOCHAN: One of the most prominent conservative republican voices in America calls Romney's remarks "stupid and arrogant".

+5
Nekochan
Sal
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

William Kristol says this in his Weekly Standard...

A Note on Romney’s Arrogant and Stupid Remarks

9:16 AM, Sep 18, 2012 • By WILLIAM KRISTOL

So we have in 2012 two presidential candidates who—when they thought they were speaking privately to their fellow 1 percenters—have shown contempt for fellow Americans.

Here's Barack Obama, on April 6, 2008, in San Francisco:

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

It's worth recalling that Obama was speaking about Democrats who were voting in the primary for Hillary Clinton. So Obama seems to have contempt not just for the Republicans who oppose him, but for millions of Americans who ended up voting for him in November 2008.

And here's Mitt Romney, on May 17, 2012, in Boca Raton:

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what….These are people who pay no income tax.... [M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

It's worth recalling that a good chunk of the 47 percent who don't pay income taxes are Romney supporters—especially of course seniors (who might well "believe they are entitled to heath care," a position Romney agrees with), as well as many lower-income Americans (including men and women serving in the military) who think conservative policies are better for the country even if they're not getting a tax cut under the Romney plan. So Romney seems to have contempt not just for the Democrats who oppose him, but for tens of millions who intend to vote for him.

It remains important for the country that Romney wins in November (unless he chooses to step down and we get the Ryan-Rubio ticket we deserve!). But that shouldn't blind us to the fact that Romney's comments, like those of Obama four years ago, are stupid and arrogant.

Indeed: Has there been a presidential race in modern times featuring two candidates who have done so little over their lifetimes for our country, and who have so little substance to say about the future of our country?

Last edited by Bob on 9/19/2012, 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Another thing. Even though Kristol is a regular contributor to Fox News, I'll be very surprised if Fox News allows Kristol to repeat any of this on their broadcasts.

2seaoat

Anybody who thinks Romney is a fricking idiot is immediately considered a supporter of Obama. The truth is.......well.......he is the worst presidential candidate in American history. It is beyond me how this man got nominated. I was convinced that there would be a brokered convention, but Ron Paul rolled over for Romney like a puppy wanting their belly rubbed......and to this day I simply do not understand how this happened. How could Mitt Romney be nominated by any major party in America?

Romney really does represent the dark side which is destroying America and the question for me is why did it take so long for conservatives to realize this guy is toxic.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:Anybody who thinks Romney is a fricking idiot is immediately considered a supporter of Obama. The truth is.......well.......he is the worst presidential candidate in American history. It is beyond me how this man got nominated. I was convinced that there would be a brokered convention, but Ron Paul rolled over for Romney like a puppy wanting their belly rubbed......and to this day I simply do not understand how this happened. How could Mitt Romney be nominated by any major party in America?

Romney really does represent the dark side which is destroying America and the question for me is why did it take so long for conservatives to realize this guy is toxic.
Ron Paul got run over like a puppy in the driveway by a republican machine that changed the rules and beat up his supporters .

Sal

Sal

The Weekly Standard continues to hammer Willard.

The conservative case against Romney's analysis is multi-pronged. His description of the 47 percent who don't pay income taxes as "dependents" flies in the face of the conservative view that Americans should be paying fewer, not more, taxes. And historically, most Americans have not paid income taxes. Moreover, most of those who don't pay income taxes still contribute to the federal government in the form of payroll taxes and other federal taxes and fees. The political argument, that those who are "dependents" won't be voting for Romney anyway, is demonstrably wrong, and the content and tone of Romney's remarks don't strike many conservatives (and others) as particularly presidential.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/conservatives-romneys-wrong_652581.html

Sal

Sal

The only people left in the Romney camp are the racist teahadists.

On November 7, the old-guard Republican establishment will line up behind Jeb, but they will soon discover that they no longer hold any clout in the insane asylum that the GOP has become.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Krystol is entitled to his opinion, and he's probably frustrated that something like this might hurt Romney. But the bottom line is this, which he also said:

It remains important for the country that Romney wins in November

Nekochan

Nekochan

Apparently, even Mother Jones admits part of the video is missing. Romney asked that the entire video be published, but now they are saying it's missing.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/09/19/Mother-Jones-Admits-Romney-Tape-Missing-One-or-Two-Minutes

Mother Jones, the left-wing magazine that released a controversial video of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's remarks to a fundraiser in May, now admits that it has no full tape of what Romney said, and that its video is missing "one to two minutes" at the most important moment.
The Legal Insurrection blog's William Jacobson and The Blaze both raised questions on Tuesday about whether Mother Jones had, as promised, revealed the full video, given an apparent jump cut in the critical section of Romney's remarks.
"Something is missing. Romney’s 47% answer was cut off before completed, and is not picked up on the Part 2 audio video," Jacobson noted.
Late Tuesday evening, Jacobson obtained the following comment from David Corn of Mother Jones:
According to the source, the recording device inadvertently turned off. The source noticed this quickly and turned it back one [sic]. The source estimates that one to two minutes, maybe less, of recording was missed.
Corn was forced to update his original post, which promised the "full" video, to reflect the fact that a key portion of the video is, in fact, missing.
There is no way to know, without the missing footage, exactly what Romney said. On Monday evening, Romney called for a complete video of his remarks to be released.
That now turns out to be impossible, either because Romney's remarks were never recorded in full (as Mother Jones now claims), or because some of his remarks--perhaps mitigating some of the controversial effect of his statements--were selectively edited out of the tape by Mother Jones or its chain of sources (including former President Jimmy Carter's grandson).

Last edited by Nekochan on 9/19/2012, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan wrote:Crystal is entitled to his opinion, and he's probably frustrated that something like this might hurt Romney. But the bottom line is this, which he also said:

What's the problem with the statement in general...does anyone really feel that the freeloading voting block for the COWH would even consider not voting for the person that gets them their government checks and food stamps?...NOT talking about those that truly need help but those that have made a lifechoice of living off the government...There was nothing incorrect or arrogant in what Romney said....

Nekochan wrote:Apparently, even Mother Jones admits part of the video is missing. Romney asked that the entire video be published, but now they are saying it's missing.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/09/19/Mother-Jones-Admits-Romney-Tape-Missing-One-or-Two-Minutes

So then the accuracy and credibility now comes into question?...And by not releasing the entire video it may have been edited to fit a political agenda?...Figures there would be a Carter involved...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:Krystol is entitled to his opinion, and he's probably frustrated that something like this might hurt Romney. But the bottom line is this, which he also said:

No that's not the bottom line. That's just covering his ass for the anybody-but-obama crowd.
The bottom line is that he said what he really hopes for is for Romney to actually drop out and be replaced by a Ryan/Rubio ticket.

What makes Kristol's comments so phenomenal, is that Kristol is one of the primary powers behind the neocon foreign policy. The same neocon foreign policy HE SHARES WITH ROMNEY. And EVEN STILL it's evident that he dislikes Romney so much that he would say these damning things about him.

After this I think the only chance Romney has left is if he wipes the floor with Obama in the debates. But based on the communicating abilities I've seen of both so far, I'm afraid if any floor is going to wiped they will have to sweep Romney off of it, not Obama.
If there was a legal way to make a bet on this election right now I would be at the bookie shop this morning placing my bet against Romney. And would probably be willing to give some odds on it. And that has nothing to do with which one I HOPE will win, only which one I now believe WILL WIN.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Romney is right in what he said. I've heard him speak about preserving Social Security and I feel that he was NOT talking about the elderly in his comments. But now that we know the entire audio is not even available, we don't know what other comments he might have made at that fund raiser that were cut out.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Krystol is entitled to his opinion, and he's probably frustrated that something like this might hurt Romney. But the bottom line is this, which he also said:

No that's not the bottom line. That's just covering his ass for the anybody-but-obama crowd.
The bottom line is that he said what he really hopes for is for Romney to actually drop out and be replaced by a Ryan/Rubio ticket.

What makes Kristol's comments so phenomenal, is that Kristol is one of the primary powers behind the neocon foreign policy. The same neocon foreign policy HE SHARES WITH ROMNEY. And EVEN STILL it's evident that he dislikes Romney so much that he would say these damning things about him.

After this I think the only chance Romney has left is if he wipes the floor with Obama in the debates. But based on the communicating abilities I've seen of both so far, I'm afraid if any floor is going to wiped they will have to sweep Romney off of it, not Obama.
If there was a legal way to make a bet on this election right now I would be at the bookie shop this morning placing my bet against Romney. And would probably be willing to give some odds on it. And that has nothing to do with which one I HOPE will win, only which one I now believe WILL WIN.

If he's hoping for Romney to drop out, he can join with Seaoat in such fantasies. Bill Krystol doesn't decide elections.
Bob, like I said, I feel sure that Romney was not talking about the elderly living on social security. Fact is, even the people who published the tape admit some of it is missing.
Hell is breaking loose now all over the world. Of course, Obama wants to focus on this incomplete audio of Romney.

[quote="Bob"]
Nekochan wrote: And that has nothing to do with which one I HOPE will win, only which one I now believe WILL WIN.

Romneys series of "gaffes" of course get major press and commentary. Debates are one thing, will people watch and will the results be commented on fairly? Doubtful, it is obvious BHO has much of the media in his pocket and is using his Justice Dept to manipulate at least one outlet. One advantage Romney will have in a debate is BHO will not have access to his precious teleprompter. Now if Romney would just think before speaking.....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote: I feel that he was NOT talking about the elderly in his comments.
The only problem is, after his remarks went public, he didn't clarify that with two different trips to the microphones to try to quell this controversy.
He did that ONLY on the 3rd trip to the microphones. Only AFTER there was this backlash to it among some of his own fellow conservative republicans (which he claims to be one although some are very skeptical about that).

If the election was held today I believe he'd lose by the same margin McCain did.
That margin will likely narrow by voting day but it won't narrow enough for him now.

[quote="nochain"]
Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote: And that has nothing to do with which one I HOPE will win, only which one I now believe WILL WIN.

Romneys series of "gaffes" of course get major press and commentary. Debates are one thing, will people watch and will the results be commented on fairly? Doubtful, it is obvious BHO has much of the media in his pocket and is using his Justice Dept to manipulate at least one outlet. One advantage Romney will have in a debate is BHO will not have access to his precious teleprompter. Now if Romney would just think before speaking.....

Video comes out from the COWH....I actually believe in redistribution...silence follows....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way the latest NBC/Wall Street Journal poll now has Obama five points ahead.
And no a poll which is half controlled by the Rupert Murdoch/News Corp owned Wall Street Journal is not a "liberal democrat poll". So please don't try to tell me it is.

Sal

Sal

newswatcher wrote:
What's the problem with the statement in general...does anyone really feel that the freeloading voting block for the COWH would even consider not voting for the person that gets them their government checks and food stamps?...NOT talking about those that truly need help but those that have made a lifechoice of living off the government...There was nothing incorrect or arrogant in what Romney said....

newswatcher wrote:
So then the accuracy and credibility now comes into question?...And by not releasing the entire video it may have been edited to fit a political agenda?...Figures there would be a Carter involved...

If there is no problem with what he said, then why the call for the full tape to try and mitigate it?

Nekochan

Nekochan

I think you're making way too much of it, Bob. Lots will happen over the next 6 weeks. Who the hell knows what will happen in the world...things are getting more nuts by the day, all over the place. I am not sure that Obama can do much about it, but if it keeps getting crazier, it will turn American's thoughts again to national security. Obama has polled pretty well in matters of national security and I have given him credit for some of the things he's done in the area of national security.

I have never claimed that I am certain that Romney will win. I certainly hope he wins, but I think it's very close. If Romney doesn't win, I don't think it will be because of this video.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And no none of this has anything to do with my own personal decision on who I will vote for. I'm still undecided.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:By the way the latest NBC/Wall Street Journal poll now has Obama five points ahead.
And no a poll which is half controlled by the Rupert Murdoch/News Corp owned Wall Street Journal is not a "liberal democrat poll". So please don't try to tell me it is.

Bob, polls are polls. Rasmussen now has Romney ahead in swing states.
The only vote that counts is election day.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mother Jones has already released a transcript of the ENTIRE thing. So that's not even an issue anymore.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/full-transcript-mitt-romney-secret-video

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:

Bob, polls are polls. Rasmussen now has Romney ahead in swing states.
The only vote that counts is election day.

If anybody here wants to put your money where your mouth is I'll take one bet of $100 and I'm betting Obama will win.
And trust me I'm not a gambling man. I never enter into any wager unless I'm almost certain it's a mortal lock.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:Mother Jones has already released a transcript of the ENTIRE thing. So that's not even an issue anymore.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/full-transcript-mitt-romney-secret-video

Well, what is this about then? They say in your link that it's the full transcript of the video that they published, but is it a full transcript of everything Romney said? And if so, where did they suddenly find the missing part?
Late Tuesday evening, Jacobson obtained the following comment from David Corn of Mother Jones:
According to the source, the recording device inadvertently turned off. The source noticed this quickly and turned it back one [sic]. The source estimates that one to two minutes, maybe less, of recording was missed.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:
[/b]
Oh lord now more conspiracy talk. In the past couple weeks I made about a half dozen video recordings with my cellphone. Some of them were when yelladawg and I were watching blues music at Five Sisters. Some were with an old friend who came in town and played his guitar at my house. With every single one of them the goddamn cellphone stopped recording and I had to restart it each time.
Frankly what would amaze me is when a homemade video recording DOES NOT drop out and screw up. Then I would start believing it's a conspiracy. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum