Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Climate Change Do-Gooders: STOP WASTING YOUR FOOD!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Why world leaders are eating 'landfill salad' and cucumber-butt pickles

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/opinions/sutter-food-waste-two-degrees/index.html

Excerpts from the article:

...Wasting food is a massive, unnecessary contributor to global warming, and not too many people seem to be talking about it...

"In the United States we throw away around 40% of what we produce; and globally, 28% of the land under cultivation grows food that ends up in landfills..."  
"...Not only are you wasting all of the energy and water -- and the emissions from nitrous oxide from fertilizers -- you then just dump that into a landfill, which produces methane in amounts that is just staggering...."

"landfill salad," made with vegetable scraps and ingredients that were disfigured to the point grocery stores would toss them out; bread made from spent grains that are a byproduct of beer brewing; a burger made with pulp that a juice company otherwise would have thrown away; misshapen-beet ketchup; cucumber-butt pickles; and "corn fries" made from super-starchy corn that's meant to be fed to cattle. Yum! Eat up!"

"...Food production and agriculture contribute as much to climate change as transportation..."

"...more than a third of all food produced worldwide -- over 1 billion tons of edible food each year -- goes to waste. That is shameful when so many people suffer from hunger. It's incredibly shameful."

If you total up the climate change pollution created by the production of wasted or rotten food, you get more annual greenhouse gases than those from all of Russia or India.

Climate Change Do-Gooders: STOP WASTING YOUR FOOD! 15093010

Landfill Salad comes from here:

Climate Change Do-Gooders: STOP WASTING YOUR FOOD! Trash-10
Cesar Zuniga, operations manager at the Salinas Valley municipal dump in California, points to salad greens that still have two weeks before their sell-by date. "Some loads ... look very fresh," Zuniga says. "We question, wow, why is this being tossed?"

Okay, this is my second climate change post this week. My first one was made on Tuesday and can be found here:

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t21815-climate-change-proponents-want-to-take-away-your-hamburgers

Both of these posts review articles by CNN's John D. Sutter, who writes on climate change.

In his earlier article, Sutter exhorts us to stop eating beef, and to stop supporting animal farming and corn farming. He says both contribute massively to CO2 production.

My first post garnered about 26 views and one comment by poster pkrbm.  When I saw this second article by Sutter, I said to myself: "This is worth a new posting about climate change."

Admittedly, I count myself among this forum's climate change deniers. While I do not necessarily believe in the politics shared by posters pkrbm, Markle, Obamasucks, and Teotwaki; on climate change I guess I am with them by default. Now, the climate change proponents here do not pick on me like they do the others... However, in their defense, I feel I must bring Mr. Sutter's articles to everyone's attention, so the climate change proponents can start putting his ideas into practice, and then share the results with the rest of us...... After all, this is the direction the climate change political arm is pointing society, so its theories need testing in order to bring the rest of us along.

Therefore, since you all need to stop eating beef and corn products, you also need to stop wasting food. This means that the leftover food in your refrigerators, so long as it is remotely edible (i.e., only slightly spoiled, stale, or moldy), instead of those food calories going down the disposal or in the garbage, those food calories need to come out of someone's ass. Food needs to be eaten until it is gone, no matter how tired you are of consuming it, or how tasteless or unappealing it seems. The upside is your collective grocery bills should recede somewhat....

Therefore, when you go to Publix to shop, you should purposely buy nearly expired food instead of fresh food. You buy lettuce that is wilty, but still edible, fruits and veges that are blemished, bananas that are soft, dairy products that are close to being expired (my wife always throws food out on the expiration date--I remind her the manufacturer always states 'good for one week after expiration'), bread that is stale. Us deniers will continue buying the fresh stuff, while you keep the stale food from being sent to the landfill--and turned into climate destroying methane.

Boards: I admire you for being a culinary expert. The photos you have posted on this forum concerning your barbecue wonders make me wish you were my neighbor.  Razz Can you please concoct a Landfill Salad for the posters at large and post photos showing how you made it here?

Also, since you will hopefully be giving up eating meats (if you read Sutter's other article, there is not much meat production that isn't a danger to climate change), you will need to concoct some other meatless barbecue recipes that you can share with us.

Speaking of barbecues.... We all need to switch from CO2-spewing gas and charcoal grills to electric grills like this one:

Climate Change Do-Gooders: STOP WASTING YOUR FOOD! 91wtfq10
http://www.amazon.com/Meco-Aussie-Deluxe-Electric-Rotisserie/dp/B0007XXNT0/ref=sr_1_11?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1443716285&sr=1-11&keywords=electric+grill

I happen to be an Amazon Associate who has been looking for new website ideas, and I just found it with this product... I will make a climate change themed website that convinces visitors to give up their old fossil-fueled grills for these new electric ones. My site will point them to Amazon.com, and if they convert a sale, I get paid a commission..... Well, the upside from this is I will finally have to learn more about climate change (I wonder if my new site will pay off better than my old sites have... hmmm... doubtful, but I will gamble on it anyway.... :-]).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gatorfan

When my wife was teaching she held a food drive every year for a local food bank. I was delivering it one time and talked with the director and the topic came up about food from supermarkets etc. He said most didn't want to donate leftovers from their Delis etc because of liability concerns. I'm sure it's not the same everywhere but that would lead to a lot of waste.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

gatorfan wrote:When my wife was teaching she held a food drive every year for a local food bank. I was delivering it one time and talked with the director and the topic came up about food from supermarkets etc. He said most didn't want to donate leftovers from their Delis etc because of liability concerns. I'm sure it's not the same everywhere but that would lead to a lot of waste.

Yeah if you want to see something good go horribly bad get lawyers involved...wait a lot of politicians are lawyers...well I'll be....old Billy was right....."The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

I grow and buy veges from farms... I even can every year now. I also compost. I hunt, fish, and buy meat from local farms too. I waste very little. It's more expensive and more trouble... but worth it to me. I'm going to try smoking fish next year.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PkrBum wrote:I grow and buy veges from farms... I even can every year now. I also compost. I hunt, fish, and buy meat from local farms too. I waste very little. It's more expensive and more trouble... but worth it to me. I'm going to try smoking fish next year.

I can never get fish to lite...which end do you put the match to ?

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I grow and buy veges from farms... I even can every year now. I also compost. I hunt, fish, and buy meat from local farms too. I waste very little. It's more expensive and more trouble... but worth it to me. I'm going to try smoking fish next year.

I can never get fish to lite...which end do you put the match to ?

Lol... the worst part is that I don't particularly like it. A batch will probably last a long time. I do like jerky though.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Hey, I am glad you guys have bumped my thread...... Thank you!

What I am really waiting for are comments from the folks who call everyone else "Deniers."

If folks are going to talk the talk, they need to walk the walk. The author of those two pieces I cited is dead serious about what he said. The climate change folks have a political arm, and let there be no doubt, they will be pushing those who rule us to bend their way. After all, we have no time to waste, correct? Those 10-15 year 'tipping points' just might be staring us in the face.

Those who call the rest of us "Deniers" should get with the program first, tell the rest of us what that program will be like, then work to gently bring the rest of us along. Otherwise, their words amount to just 'cheap talk,' am I right?

Now back to dreaming about my new Amazon affiliate website, which will focus on climate change and encourage people to buy electric barbeques from Amazon.com, while hopefully directing some commissions into my bank account. I am also going to make a website that hawks battery powered lawn mowing equipment, using the same climate change theme.... This really is a hard-scrabble way to make a buck. I generally make only a few hundred dollars a year from it, but some folks claim to make thousands. On the plus side, I have had to learn new technical skills to do this stuff, so it has become a hobby that makes me a few dollars as well.  

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

What? No takers yet from the climate change believers?

I will tell you what..... Every time someone on this forum gets called a "Denier," I am going to bump the two threads I created this week to the first page.

Because, it seems to me, that nobody really wants to do the hard work that is associated with protecting the Earth.

If 97% of the world's scientist believe the Earth is going to warm 2 degrees during the current century, with many apparently believing the world is going to careen there in another 10-15 years, then the hard work and sacrifices must start immediately.

Those same scientists have a very strong political arm that is going to insert itself into every facet of your life, even down to WHAT YOU EAT! Be ready to be regulated, because that move has only just begun.

After I wrote my first thread on Tuesday, my wife and I went to the Chili's at Fairfield and Mobile Hwy, where I enjoyed an Old Timer hamburger. I don't eat much beef anymore because of the heart attack I had last November. My burger was heavenly. I swear that Chili's makes the best burgers in Pensacola. Five Guys and Wendy's come second and third, IMHO.

I am not going to voluntarily change my diet, but I will watching you believers to get with this program at some point.....

When yellowstone goes off global warming will be the last of their worries. A volcanic winter will be much worse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum