Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bernie Sanders: Audit The Department Of Defense, Contractors Wasting Money While Soldiers Are On Food Stamps

+3
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
boards of FL
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/12/29/bernie_sanders_audit_the_department_of_defense.html

At an event Monday night in Storm Lake, Iowa, Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders says that, "when we talk about making government more cost effective, it doesn't simply mean cutting Medicaid and food stamps."

"What it does mean is taking a hard look at an agency which recieves $600 billion per year where there is an immense amount of waste and fraud," Sanders said. "We have massive cost overruns with defense contractors, we've got deployment after deployment for our soldiers, and we've got military families on food stamps."

BERNIE SANDERS: The day before 9/11 -- September 10, 2001, this guy that I have nothing to do with, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, he gave a speech and he said that there are trillions of dollars in the Dept. of Defense that we can't account for.

That was Rumsfeld the day before 9/11 -- the speech never got a lot of attention.

The Department of Defense is the only agency of government, to my knowledge, that cannot sustain an independent audit.

You go to them and ask how many private contractors we have. Well, they really don't know. It's so complicated, a huge complicated system.

I believe when we talk about making government more cost effective, it doesn't simply mean cutting Medicaid and food stamps.

What it does mean is taking a hard look at an agency which recieves $600 billion per year where there is an immense amount of waste and fraud.

And while we have massive cost overruns with defense contractors, we've got deployment after deployment for our soldiers, and we've got military families on food stamps. So maybe we want to change that.

I'd like the military and welfare cut by 3/4s. Tada... a surplus to pay off debt.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PkrBum wrote:I'd like the military and welfare cut by 3/4s. Tada... a surplus to pay off debt.

Ah but then you'd need more military to stop the welfare bums from rioting....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:I'd like the military and welfare cut by 3/4s. Tada... a surplus to pay off debt.

Not doable.  The bums on welfare don't know how to survive without it.
And that includes the fat cats on the military welfare dole.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/12/29/bernie_sanders_audit_the_department_of_defense.html

At an event Monday night in Storm Lake, Iowa, Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders says that, "when we talk about making government more cost effective, it doesn't simply mean cutting Medicaid and food stamps."

"What it does mean is taking a hard look at an agency which recieves $600 billion per year where there is an immense amount of waste and fraud," Sanders said. "We have massive cost overruns with defense contractors, we've got deployment after deployment for our soldiers, and we've got military families on food stamps."

BERNIE SANDERS: The day before 9/11 -- September 10, 2001, this guy that I have nothing to do with, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, he gave a speech and he said that there are trillions of dollars in the Dept. of Defense that we can't account for.

That was Rumsfeld the day before 9/11 -- the speech never got a lot of attention.

The Department of Defense is the only agency of government, to my knowledge, that cannot sustain an independent audit.

You go to them and ask how many private contractors we have. Well, they really don't know. It's so complicated, a huge complicated system.

I believe when we talk about making government more cost effective, it doesn't simply mean cutting Medicaid and food stamps.

What it does mean is taking a hard look at an agency which recieves $600 billion per year where there is an immense amount of waste and fraud.

And while we have massive cost overruns with defense contractors, we've got deployment after deployment for our soldiers, and we've got military families on food stamps. So maybe we want to change that.

As you know, TOTALLY BOGUS, not surprisingly Bernie Sanders is LYING.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

What's not surprising is that YOU'RE LYING...AGAIN...like clockwork.

BTW, you will, I'm sure, be happy to learn that President Obama has given active duty military a raise.

2seaoat

Please show where he is lying. Most of his positions are supported by the majority of Americans......take away any labels and America agrees with bernie.

I agree that our military wastes a lot of money by paying contractors to do what servicemen and women could be trained to do themselves. Those contractors make enough money that if you could get rid of them you could pay our service guys and gals enough so they didn't need food stamps.
Our military can do most of the things contractors do. It's all about lobbyists for the contractors paying representatives money to divert taxes to their businesses. Money in politics is the biggest problem America has.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:As you know, TOTALLY BOGUS, not surprisingly Bernie Sanders is LYING.

Please show where he is lying.  Most of his positions are supported by the majority of Americans......take away any labels and America agrees with bernie.

Bernie Sanders misquoted the speech he cited AND intentionally misinterpreted what was said.

In short, typical Progressive behavior.

Since the majority of Americans are not working or are working part time looking for full time, of course they want more freebies. Of course, they also fall silent when asked who was going to pay.

Last edited by Markle on 12/31/2015, 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Bernie Sanders misquoted the speech he cited AND intentionally misinterpreted what was said.

Please be specific and provide those facts and not your conclusions.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Eddard wrote:I agree that our military wastes a lot of money by paying contractors to do what servicemen and women could be trained to do themselves. Those contractors make enough money that if you could get rid of them you could pay our service guys and gals enough so they didn't need food stamps.
Our military can do most of the things contractors do. It's all about lobbyists for the contractors paying representatives money to divert taxes to their businesses. Money in politics is the biggest problem America has.

Agreed, and welcome. I know military retirees who now make much more money than they did in the service...working for military contractors on various government contracts. It's nice that they can support their families from this work, but how much of it is necessary?

Markle

Markle

In 2001, Donald Rumsfeld said "According to some estimates, we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions." This has been misinterpreted by many people as $2.3 trillion actually going missing. However it's really just about the way the money was accounted for.

Step 1 - Original Source

Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld. Monday September 10th, 2001

http://www.defense.gov/speeches/speech.aspx?speechid=430

According to some estimates, we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions.

Step 0 - Already Debunked?

See:
http://www.911myths.com/index.php/Missing_Trillions

Step 2 - Context:

Rumsfeld is simply asking for more money to improve the accounting systems, because the DOD is working with very outdated systems. As an example he says:

The technology revolution has transformed organizations across the private sector, but not ours, not fully, not yet. We are, as they say, tangled in our anchor chain. Our financial systems are decades old. According to some estimates, we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions. We cannot share information from floor to floor in this building because it's stored on dozens of technological systems that are inaccessible or incompatible.
The entire federal budget in 2000 was $1.8 trillion, so $2.3 trillion going missing is absolutely not something that could be swept under the rug.

Step 3 - Meaning of phrases

"we cannot track" does not mean that the money went missing. It means that their systems are so out of date and not compatible with each other that they can't track (by computer) transactions across departments. In order to do that, they would have to do it manually. The money is not missing, money went into the pentagon, and products and services came out - it's just too complicated to follow the trail of exactly how that happened up to acceptable accounting practices.

Step 4 - Meaning of the quote.

So he's basically talking about accounting. The money is not missing, just not tracked up to expected accounting standards. In 2002 the amount of improperly tracked transactions was reduced to $900 billion, as they integrated their accounting systems). But that's still not missing, it's just improperly tracked. This is explained in another defense dept publication:

http://archive.defense.gov/news/Jul2001/d20010710finmngt.pdf

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-rumsfeld-says-2-3-trillion-missing-from-the-pentagon.t165/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Bernie Sanders misquoted the speech he cited AND intentionally misinterpreted what was said.

Please be specific and provide those facts and not your conclusions.

2seaoat

8k for every man woman and child in America.....go Bernie.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/12/29/bernie_sanders_audit_the_department_of_defense.html

It isn't Bernie Sanders whose lying, it's Markle! Rumsfeld did claim trillions were missing at the DOD on 9/10/01, and later he tried to weasel word his way around the statement: See: http://www.infowars.com/rumsfeld-says-2-3-trillion-never-lost-just-untracked/

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:

It isn't Bernie Sanders whose lying, it's Markle!  Rumsfeld did claim trillions were missing at the DOD on 9/10/01, and later he tried to weasel word his way around the statement:  See:  http://www.infowars.com/rumsfeld-says-2-3-trillion-never-lost-just-untracked/

Grow up, it is Bernie Sanders who is LYING and you know full well. Rumsfeld NEVER said that trillions were missing. Being that you claim to be such a man of the world, i would think you know the difference.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

of course rummy did...

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

of course rummy did...

The topic is the speech made by Donald Rumsfeld on September 10, 2001.

I'm sorry that English is a second language for you. It is most confusing for people whose first language is anything other than English.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Markle wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

of course rummy did...

I'm sorry that English is a second language for you.  It is most confusing for people whose first language is anything other than English.

You and Boards are cut from the same snot nosed cloth...

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Markle wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

of course rummy did...

I'm sorry that English is a second language for you.  It is most confusing for people whose first language is anything other than English.

You and Boards are cut from the same snot nosed cloth...

Is not the day before 9/11 exactly 9/10?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum