Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Self-hating Americans: What the CIA report says about the American left

+6
Floridatexan
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
Wordslinger
TEOTWAWKI
KarlRove
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

KarlRove

KarlRove

by Sal Today at 5:34 pm
PkrBum wrote:
Lol... you may be right. But if anyone deserves no mercy it's those that target the innocent or hide behind them.

It's not about them, it's about us.
------
It takes two to tango bro.

KarlRove

KarlRove

I love how sal wants to judge those who prosecuted the war when he wasnt even a part of it. I think that's referred to asa monday morning qb .

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://washingtonnote.com/some_truths_abo/

Guest Post by Lawrence Wilkerson: Some Truths About Guantanamo Bay

This is from March 17, 2009. Larry Wilkerson was Secretary of State Colin Powell's chief of staff. He says that Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld knew early on that many of the GITMO detainees were innocent, but letting them go was not an option. It's not mentioned here, but others claim that bounties were paid for detainees...from $500 (a year's pay for an Afghani) to $5,000.

boards of FL wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Those individuals who authorized torture should be held accountable.  You start with the legal interpretations.   They must lose their law licenses at a minimum, and possible face criminal charges.

The fact that a taxi driver in Afghanastan is not wearing a uniform does not give any shelter to those who snatched him up and tortured an innocent man.   Those who authorized the torture must be held responsible.

You can prove that waterboarding violates the terms set forth in the Geneva Convention and/or International Law?

Do you even know what the Geneva Convention says about the treatment of prisoners?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

Who cares about whether the Geneva Convention was violated or not?  Do you get your moral compass from the letter of the Geneva Convention?  What if the Geneva Convention said "It is OK to rape and murder children who reside in countries that you occupy during a time of war", would you be OK with that simply by virtue of the fact that the Geneva Convention says it?  

Self-hating Americans: What the CIA report says about the American left - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg7C8N8o0B6OTPgbirzX2Ux33MmKn9pfpBGeaD-jj0gNyazXxVEg

Obviously the US military and the United Nations which include all the member states do. The Geneva Convention is an agreement between nations that governs the how conflicts are conducted.

Didn't the United States sign the Geneva Convention and agree to follow those rules of conduct?

If you don't like the system then become part of it and make the changes..... If you can.

My suggestion to you is that you get off your high horse and quit thinking that your moral values are so much better than others. Especially when your Nobel Champion Of Peace is more than willing to bomb another sovereign nation back into the stone age without Congressional approval or pretty much decimate a wedding party for one or two suspected terrorists.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBaTs8bP8C8

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 12/17/2014, 12:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

KarlRove wrote:I love how sal wants to judge those who prosecuted the war when he wasnt even a part of it. I think that's referred to asa monday morning qb .

And I love the way you think no one else is entitled to an opinion about war except a military man. That's completely ridiculous. And it's certainly not Monday morning...it's 13 years later for Afghanistan and 11 years later for Iraq.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Damaged Eagle wrote:My suggestion to you is that you get off your high horse and quit thinking that your moral values are so much better than others. Especially when your Nobel Champion Of Peace is more than willing to bomb another sovereign nation back into the stone age without Congressional approval or pretty much decimate a wedding party for one or two suspected terrorists.

How many times do I have to explain the concept of the lesser of two evils?

Let's assume there is a runaway train approaching a fork in the tracks.  You have the ability to decide the direction of the train after the fork.   Sending it to the right will result in the death of 10 people.  Sending it to the left will result in the death of 100 people.

What will you do?  Either way, people will die.  Left, right, or no action, you will have blood on your hands.  Isn't it your duty to influence the situation in a way that minimizes death?

Me, personally, I would divert the train to the right killing the 10 and saving the 100.

PkrBum, however, would take no action and proclaim that he is morally superior.

What would Damaged do?

And beyond the inevitable election of democrats and republicans, are you honestly telling me that you find nothing wrong - in your moral code - with torture?

2seaoat wrote:You can prove that waterboarding violates the terms set forth in the Geneva Convention and/or International Law?

Do you even know what the Geneva Convention says about the treatment of prisoners?

Please turn the dimmer switch on your light bulb up a little bit.  You do not even understand how war criminals are prosecuted.  States have the primary obligation to prosecute a person who has committed a war crime against their citizens.  A state may choose to discharge their obligation to prosecute and to do an international tribunal or  mixed tribunal.  The problem with most of these mixed tribunals involve the United Nations which America could veto indictments against American officials.  So the nation state will need to bring those charges, but we cleverly have exemptions from prosecution signed by those nations we have invaded.  However, if that state is overthrown, the successor most certainly can authorize war criminal indictments.   Now is a new government in Iraq going to come to the United States and arrest Dick Cheney.  Nope.   However, like the Israelis tracking down war criminals, he could be kidnapped and transported to that state for trial, and hanging if found guilty........The target may be one of many lawyers who declared that torture was not torture, and it may not be a capital offense, but involve a long prison term in that country's penal system.......well organized kidnappers could put the fear of God in about 200 people who knowingly developed torture and war crimes as a modus operandi

Self-hating Americans: What the CIA report says about the American left - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdAh9yo1dXyyuGzF8r8M4mgHdtiFp4vzeprU2_70Ycov5eq2sDAQ

Is that sort of like putting the fear of god into a people by bombing a sovereign nation back into the stone age without Congressional approval or bombing a wedding party all so you can get one or two suspected terrorists because it's all for the greater good?

If you think waterboarding an individual is horrendous, my opinion is that murdering thousands of innocent civilians for what you call the greater good is pure evil. So let's have our war crimes trials and let's make sure that the people responsible for those crimes are put on trial.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttg0zY0PXY8

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 12/17/2014, 2:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Bob wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

Just prior to my arriving at a new command in Italy there was a dependent wife who was driving to Naples to go to the exchange. Along the way she passed a carabinieri (Italian police) who was standing at the side of the road waving his lollipop sign that they carry. He waved it at her as she approached, which means that she should pull over to be inspected, but she did not know what it meant so she kept driving. They pulled over forty slugs out of the back of car and the dependent wife was in the hospital for over six months in critical and/or serious condition...

That just helps support the position I took on this in my last post.  
Mistakes CAN and WILL be made.  By ANY authority.
It's one thing when those mistakes lead to unjust imprisonment.
But when they lead to either torture or an execution.  it goes beyond my willingness to tolerate it.

Self-hating Americans: What the CIA report says about the American left - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVJc-Z56vJG9dlOgmZ1NTmzjy2HGEfGopiKKmFkCvM-x7wrzeW

Just pointing out to you the misconception that people appear to have about the authority the United States has in how the things operate.

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong. However as I said there's a lot of whiners out there... Just like the ones over Michael Brown's demise. Once he resisted arrest and the bullets started flying it would be a little to late in my opinion to suddenly throw up your arms and attempt surrender... You can cry for more training all you want. It doesn't mean it won't happen again.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqprkIfJgu4

Smile

boards of FL wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:My suggestion to you is that you get off your high horse and quit thinking that your moral values are so much better than others. Especially when your Nobel Champion Of Peace is more than willing to bomb another sovereign nation back into the stone age without Congressional approval or pretty much decimate a wedding party for one or two suspected terrorists.

Let's assume there is a runaway train approaching a fork in the tracks.  You have the ability to decide the direction of the train after the fork.   Sending it to the right will result in the death of 10 people.  Sending it to the left will result in the death of 100 people.

What will you do?  Either way, people will die.  Left, right, or no action, you will have blood on your hands.  Isn't it your duty to influence the situation in a way that minimizes death?

Me, personally, I would divert the train to the right killing the 10 and saving the 100.

What would Damaged do?

And beyond the inevitable election of democrats and republicans, are you honestly telling me that you find nothing wrong - in your moral code - with torture?

Self-hating Americans: What the CIA report says about the American left - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVJc-Z56vJG9dlOgmZ1NTmzjy2HGEfGopiKKmFkCvM-x7wrzeW

Are the ten good people and the one hundred convicted convicts who've committed heinous crimes against others?

What makes you think your moral code is superior to someone else's?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqprkIfJgu4

Smile

Have to go. Will be back later.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Damaged Eagle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

What would Damaged do?

Are the ten good people and the one hundred convicted convicts who've committed heinous crimes against others?

You have an uncanny ability of missing the point - even when it is as incredibly basic as the hypothetical scenario I laid out.

Assume that the 10 and 100 are all equal at the individual level. It is a very basic choice of opting between two outcomes that you have the ability to influence in a constrained way. You can either have 10 dead people or 100 dead people. Taking no action will make the choice for you at random. Either way, no matter what, people are going to die. What will you do with your influence?

Well, my moral code doesn't condone the act of torturing human beings; hence my moral code is superior to anyone else's that does condone the act of torturing human beings.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I would drop on the train from a helicopter reverse the engines throw on the  brakes and stop the train saving the screaming Swedish bikini team in the bedroom cars and spend the rest of the day comforting them....

What if buildings had continued to be blown up or a plot to do that found... and ksm was in your grasp?

It all seems very clear now... but even pelosi went along with the program at the time.

And dont confuse that scenario for my support... but atleast draw honest parallels.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:What if buildings had continued to be blown up or a plot to do that found... and ksm was in your grasp?

The playbook is the same.  Vote for the lesser of two evils - which is an inevitable binary outcome that will happen regardless of my participation - and voice the idea that I do not support torture.  

Aside from being morally reprehensible, there is no reason to believe that torture is an effective means of extracting the information that you need.

PkrBum wrote:It all seems very clear now... but even pelosi went along with the program at the time.

Lesser of two evils.  Painfully painfully obvious lesser of two evils.  Then when I throw in the millions of private sector jobs added, expanded healthcare system, GDP job growth near 4% annualized, and...well...it's a no-brainer.

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I would drop on the train from a helicopter reverse the engines throw on the  brakes and stop the train saving the screaming Swedish bikini team in the bedroom cars and spend the rest of the day comforting them....

Yes, but you don't live in reality, so....

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

boards of FL wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I would drop on the train from a helicopter reverse the engines throw on the  brakes and stop the train saving the screaming Swedish bikini team in the bedroom cars and spend the rest of the day comforting them....

Yes, but you don't live in reality, so....
As real as your made up situation....okay I did add the Swedish Bikini team...the rest is totally believable.....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:there is no reason to believe that torture is an effective means of extracting the information that you need.

I'm also skeptical that torture does what they want it to.

But that has nothing to do with Sheik Mohammed.  Even after they've rung every bit of info they can get out of him,  I still want him to be tortured and tortured good.
I would even gather the remains of those hijackers from the rubble piles and torture the remains too.

2seaoat

torture........we know his name.....evil is definable.....

KarlRove

KarlRove

Torture ought to be on the minds of all our enemies. They should realize that because their side will willingly do so to our folks, we will be happy to give them the same to the Nth degree. It ought to be something they fear and fear a lot. It ought to be a reason they think twice about fighting us. See, the folks we're fighting in the GWOT are ones who respect strength and power. Obama exudes none of that. He exudes hemming, hawing, and drawing red lines he won't enforce. Now that the other side understands Obama can be pushed around, they do what they want and when they want. For example see Assad in Syria, Putin, China on emissions, and Iran on nukes.

The sad part is we have too many people not willing to fight like we did in WWII and to end it once and for all when we get into conflicts.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

The MIC has instigated this eternal war for profit all along.They create enemies in order to have a reason to produce weapons systems and make obscene profits...
Let's see, Karl that makes you a tool.

KarlRove

KarlRove

TEOTWAWKI wrote:The MIC has instigated this eternal war for profit all along.They create enemies in order to have a reason to produce weapons systems and make obscene profits...

Keeps me employed.

boards of FL

boards of FL

KarlRove wrote:Torture ought to be on the minds of all our enemies.  They should realize that because their side will willingly do so to our folks, we will be happy to give them the same to the Nth degree.  It ought to be something they fear and fear a lot.  It ought to be a reason they think twice about fighting us.  See, the folks we're fighting in the GWOT are ones who respect strength and power.  Obama exudes none of that.  He exudes hemming, hawing, and drawing red lines he won't enforce.  Now that the other side understands Obama can be pushed around, they do what they want and when they want. For example see Assad in Syria, Putin, China on emissions,  and Iran on nukes.  

The sad part is we have too many people not willing to fight like we did in WWII and to end it once and for all when we get into conflicts.

GOP 2016, everyone! Growing more and more out of touch each and every day!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

KarlRove wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:The MIC has instigated this eternal war for profit all along.They create enemies in order to have a reason to produce weapons systems and make obscene profits...

Keeps me employed.
Yeah that's kind of the bottom line for most of your buddies.

boards of FL

boards of FL

KarlRove wrote:

Keeps me employed.

So you're not only an idiot, but you're morally bankrupt as well.

Your family must be proud.

KarlRove

KarlRove

boards of FL wrote:
KarlRove wrote:

Keeps me employed.

So you're not only an idiot, but you're morally bankrupt as well.

Your family must be proud.

All of my orders have been lawful. I do know the difference.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

KarlRove wrote:Torture ought to be on the minds of all our enemies.  They should realize that because their side will willingly do so to our folks, we will be happy to give them the same to the Nth degree.  It ought to be something they fear and fear a lot.  It ought to be a reason they think twice about fighting us.  See, the folks we're fighting in the GWOT are ones who respect strength and power.  Obama exudes none of that.  He exudes hemming, hawing, and drawing red lines he won't enforce.  Now that the other side understands Obama can be pushed around, they do what they want and when they want. For example see Assad in Syria, Putin, China on emissions,  and Iran on nukes.  

come to think of it, we had just such an idiot as you crave -- a guy who lied like hell and talked tough as nails. His administration kicked the Sunnis in the ass and coddled the Shiias, who managed to steal zillions from USA largess. The same jackass thought he was building a genuine, hard-fighting army that could take over most of the combat needs -- wrong again!

The reason we don't have the same dedication and enthusiasm for today's wars as we had for WWII stems from the fact that WWII meant everyone had to sacrifice. With a mercenary military (that's what today's professional, volunteer armed forces really are), and no taxes or shortages, who gives a shit? Even with the loss of the Twin Towers, most Americans don't see our current foes (without air power, without ballistic missiles, without submarines, etc.) as a real threat.

And to tell the truth, the current batch of Muslim warriors with machine guns mounted on mini-trucks don't really threaten the residents of Charlotte, N.C.

In WWII, virtually every family had members in the service.

Face the facts Pacedog -- the wars you have fought are like playing minor league ball.

As Sal said elsewhere, most of us don't fear a few jihadists that takeover an airliner.

Reality.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum