Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

seaoat warning ! even a small one could be dangerous in your case...no wading !.

+5
cool1
ZVUGKTUBM
Sal
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

One night a friend and I were wading on the sandbar under the Predio bridge on 98. this was before the Paper Mill completely killed the bay. We were catching a few mullet and I was putting them in a potato sack hung over my shoulder. We were drinking and having fun. We were a pretty good aways from the shore. It was very very dark and overcast, no stars, no Moon. All of sudden something came screaming thought the water and hit my leg and ripped the bag from my arm, Heart attack time. I was beyond scared. A Shark? Had to be... but in the Bay? The the big fish moved to the top of the water and circled back Oh Daaaaamn.......Then it blew air and took a breath. It was damn porpoise. Funny now but it really scared me that night.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

"I have tons of fishing stories. Some of them are even true. LOL"

That's rich...good one.

I don't fish much anymore, but when I lived in Corpus Christi we had a surf net. It took 4 people to make a pass...sometimes nothing but sometimes the big bonanza. We rolled it up into the back of the Jeep and moved down the beach for each pass. (It was legal then). Lots of unwanted stuff in the net, like crabs, hardheads, little sand sharks and hammerheads, and mullet (not considered a keeper because of muddy bottom). I remember one guy who went with us...young lawyer...jerk was ripping the heads off the mullet because it was easier than releasing them from the netting. That was his last invite.

cool1

cool1

[quote="Mr Ichi"]One night a friend and I were wading on the sandbar under the Predio bridge on 98.  this was before the Paper Mill completely killed the bay.  We were catching a few mullet and I was putting them in a potato sack hung over my shoulder.  We were drinking and having fun.  We were a pretty good aways from the shore.  It was very very dark and overcast, no stars, no Moon.  All of sudden something came screaming thought the water and hit my leg and ripped the bag from my arm,  Heart attack time. I was beyond scared. A Shark? Had to be... but in the Bay?  The the big fish moved to the top of the water and circled back  Oh Daaaaamn.......Then it blew air and took a breath.  It was damn porpoise.  Funny now but it really scared me that night.  [/quote

Oh my goodness a porpoise---Laughing

Last edited by cool1 on 11/6/2013, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan wrote:"I have tons of fishing stories. Some of them are even true. LOL"

That's rich...good one.

I don't fish much anymore, but when I lived in Corpus Christi we had a surf net.  It took 4 people to make a pass...sometimes nothing but sometimes the big bonanza.  We rolled it up into the back of the Jeep and moved down the beach for each pass. (It was legal then).  Lots of unwanted stuff in the net, like crabs, hardheads, little sand sharks and hammerheads, and mullet (not considered a keeper because of muddy bottom).  I remember one guy who went with us...young lawyer...jerk was ripping the heads off the mullet because it was easier than releasing them from the netting.  That was his last invite.  

A school of catfish in a gill net will damn sure ruin your day...I dont think they eat Mullet past Biloxi to the west and maybe St Georges Island to the east.  

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My kids had a friend that died and was buried last week that contracted an infection from wading in the gulf. I doubt I will be eating fish or swimming in the gulf again...They told me of another person that died within 36 hours after getting the infection from the gulf....

I would wager there are more than is being reported.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:My kids had a friend that died and was buried last week that contracted an infection from wading in the gulf. I doubt I will be eating fish or swimming in the gulf again...They told me of another person that died within 36 hours after getting the infection from the gulf....
The sun has leathered me so hard that salt water is just a moisturizer... and beer makes me immune to pathogens.

2seaoat

Funny now but it really scared me that night.

After dark, a bag with fish, bull shark alley,.......gee scared.....do you think

knothead

knothead

Well I have enjoyed reading others' fishing stories but I'm only chiming in to say we are having mullet for dinner . . . just came in from cleaning them. I could have caught mucho but stopped throwing after bagging 12. They'll be good!!

cool1

cool1

TEOTWAWKI wrote:My kids had a friend that died and was buried last week that contracted an infection from wading in the gulf. I doubt I will be eating fish or swimming in the gulf again...They told me of another person that died within 36 hours after getting the infection from the gulf....
I like my oysters to--Im not going to eat them though--swimming No and no gulf swimming either , Not till they say its safe .

knothead wrote:Well I have enjoyed reading others' fishing stories but I'm only chiming in to say we are having mullet for dinner . . . just came in from cleaning them.  I could have caught mucho but stopped throwing after bagging 12.  They'll be good!!
There is at least one person that is very envious,,,,,Me!!!! Enjoy Nothing is better....

Nekochan

Nekochan

I would so love to have some fried mullet.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

cool1 wrote:
I like my oysters to--Im not going to eat them though--swimming No and no gulf swimming either , Not till they say its safe .
Cooked oysters are fine.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:Well I have enjoyed reading others' fishing stories but I'm only chiming in to say we are having mullet for dinner . . . just came in from cleaning them.  I could have caught mucho but stopped throwing after bagging 12.  They'll be good!!
I love fried mullet.

2seaoat

My fondest memory of fresh water fishing as a child was in a rowboat in a lake in Northern Wisconsin when the small mouth were hitting our spinner lures. We would take turns trolling as we rowed the boat and took turns fishing. We brought our catch back to camp and cleaned them and fried them up with no breading and a pan full of butter.

My fondest memory of salt water was 40 miles out from Marco island hitting a school of Amberjack. It was incredible beauty that day and the turtles were numerous, but when the school hit......geez did it get exciting, and one of the guys caught a spanish mac and just as he was bringing it up to the side of the boat a shark simple took the rear off the fish with one big bite....they had been encouraging me to get in and swim all day.....40 miles out and I knew what the routine would be.....let Seaoat swim.....full throttle saving the gps, but get over the horizon out of sight and then come back.....ha ha ha......the shark saved my butt. I did not go in the water.

Man... You people are missing the boat. Pompano is by far better tasting than anything y'all are talking about.

While nearly any fresh fish is good... there is definitely a hierarchy. Trigger, pompano, flounder, snook, cobia...

not in any particular order... and there are many others. I love amberjack, redfish, trout, snapper, catfish, mullet.

But some are much better than others... especially cooked expertly.

Last edited by PkrBum on 11/6/2013, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skip Jacks or Lady fish used to be very abundant in the bay. We used to put in at Navy Point then turn to fish by the pass. I love to catch Skip Jacks because the come out of the water like a tiny tarpon, Plus they will hit any kind of a silver spoon. Down side is they are no good to eat and you can get tired of catching them. So it is proper when you hook one to let it play(not for him) then just rip back and pull the spoon from him and cast again. One day we made the turn and there was a large school of fish with birds diving on them. We put out the lines and trolled close to the school. Soon it was "Fish On" and we all hooked up. I saw one fish come out the water and said " Damn Skipjacks Break them off before they get to the boat. I dont want to fool with them" After about 30 minutes and countless fish were broken off, some one got their fish to the boat. I reached to get it. Son of a Bitch!! It was NOT a Skip Jack. It was a giant school of Spanish Mackerel. I turned the boat around we all re rigged. Of course the damn school sounded and we never caught another one.
I was called a lot of names by every one on board. None of them I can repeat here....

Mr Ichi wrote:Skip Jacks or Lady fish used to be very abundant in the bay. We used to put in at Navy Point then turn to fish by the pass. I love to catch Skip Jacks because the come out of the water like a tiny tarpon, Plus they will hit any kind of a silver spoon. Down side is they are no good to eat and you can get tired of catching them. So it is proper when you hook one to let it play(not for him) then just rip back and pull the spoon from him and cast again. One day we made the turn and there was a large school of fish with birds diving on them. We put out the lines and trolled close to the school. Soon it was "Fish On" and we all hooked up. I saw one fish come out the water and said " Damn Skipjacks Break them off before they get to the boat. I dont want to fool with them" After about 30 minutes and countless fish were broken off, some one got their fish to the boat. I reached to get it. Son of a Bitch!! It was NOT a Skip Jack. It was a giant school of Spanish Mackerel. I turned the boat around we all re rigged. Of course the damn school sounded and we never caught another one.
I was called a lot of names by every one on board. None of them I can repeat here....

There are still tons of skip jacks and lady fish in the sound... especially near the passes.

Plenty of spanish and kings too.

Last edited by PkrBum on 11/6/2013, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Of all the fish he has available to him, Pompano is Frank Pattis favorite fish to eat. Next is yellow Fin Tuna. At least it used to be, maybe he has got "Enlightened" but I doubt it.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:Man... You people are missing the boat. Pompano is by far better tasting than anything y'all are talking about.

While nearly any fresh fish is good... there is definitely a hierarchy. Trigger, pompano, flounder, snook, cobia...

not in any particular order... and there are many others. I love amberjack, redfish, trout, snapper, catfish, mullet.

All of those plus grouper and spanish.

Joanimaroni wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Man... You people are missing the boat. Pompano is by far better tasting than anything y'all are talking about.

All of those plus grouper and spanish.
I knew I'd forget some... grouper is excellent... cooked properly. Shark and mackerel are good fresh too.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It always comes down to the method of cooking. My mom always bought fresh snapper throats and fried them. They were boneless. I was around 10 before I learned fish didn't come already flaked. Dad and mom feared we might choke on a bone...so our fish was picked to the point it looked shredded.

Joanimaroni wrote:It always comes down to the method of cooking. My mom always bought fresh snapper throats and fried them. They were boneless. I was around 10 before I learned fish didn't come already flaked. Dad and mom feared we might choke on a bone...so our fish was picked to the point it looked shredded.
LOL  You are correct  Good memory..Also at my house you never drank milk with fish and there was alway a lot of bread in case any one was suspected of having a bone caught in the throat. quick eat a slice of bread.

Sal

Sal

I don't like grouper. 

Yellow fin, flounder, snapper, swordfish, ....

... I like all of that. 

Mullet?

I thought that was a hair style before I moved down here. 

Is that a bottom-dweller?

I'm afraid to try it. 

Only fish I believe with a gizzard. Yes Bottom feeder. very dependt on the type of water and bottom they live in. We used to catch them coming out of Bayou Chico and they would taste like pine oil from the shit Newport dumped in the Bayou. But 99% of the time they are ok. Never had any issues catching them in the gulf. Small Dirty bayous is a different story..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum