Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals

+8
Floridatexan
VectorMan
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
boards of FL
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should fast food restaurants be allowed to market their products to children?

Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals - Page 3 I_vote_lcap67%Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 67% [ 8 ]
Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals - Page 3 I_vote_lcap33%Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 33% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:When did it become the job of the government and corporations to determine what your child eats or does not eat?  What is the job of the parents?

I want to serve my child a glass of gasoline.  No government can stand between me and my choice of liquids to serve my child, right?  No matter how completely asinine my choices are, I can do whatever I want with my child. Right, Markle?  Is that your belief?

Oh please. You know exactly what Markle was talking about....and it has nothing to do with your analogy.

You are correct in that I know exactly what Markle is talking about. He is trying to refute the idea that the government has any power in protecting children from harm - particular when dealing with things they can consume -, and he is wrong.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:Gasoline?  Really, Boards?  First it's cigarettes and now you're comparing a hamburger and fries to serving your child a glass of gasoline.  

I'm not comparing gasoline to a hamburger. I'm using gasoline as a means of showing that the government does in fact have the power, and the job, of controlling what kids can eat - which Markle suggested it does not.

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:When did it become the job of the government and corporations to determine what your child eats or does not eat?  What is the job of the parents?

I want to serve my child a glass of gasoline.  No government can stand between me and my choice of liquids to serve my child, right?  No matter how completely asinine my choices are, I can do whatever I want with my child. Right, Markle?  Is that your belief?

Oh please. You know exactly what Markle was talking about....and it has nothing to do with your analogy.

You are correct in that I know exactly what Markle is talking about.  He is trying to refute the idea that the government has any power in protecting children from harm - particular when dealing with things they can consume -, and he is wrong.

If we apply Markle's logic, there would be no legal drinking age. It's just another intrusion on a parent's right to raise their kid like they see fit.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Gasoline?  Really, Boards?  First it's cigarettes and now you're comparing a hamburger and fries to serving your child a glass of gasoline.  

I'm not comparing gasoline to a hamburger.  I'm using gasoline as a means of showing that the government does in fact have the power, and the job, of controlling what kids can eat - which Markle suggested it does not.

No one drinks gasoline. It's not a food. Bad example.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

I'm not comparing gasoline to a hamburger.  I'm using gasoline as a means of showing that the government does in fact have the power, and the job, of controlling what kids can eat - which Markle suggested it does not.

No one drinks gasoline.  It's not a food.  Bad example.

Then substitute gasoline with any other product that children are not allowed to consume, if that helps.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

How many liberals were up in arms when Mayor Bloomberg’s proposed to ban New York City’s food stamp users from buying soda and other sugary drinks? I remember!

Federal officials rejected the ban....
New York City Coalition Against Hunger, cheered the federal government for “deciding not to micromanage” the lives of poor people.

In 2004, The Agriculture Department denied a request by officials in Minnesota to prevent food stamp recipients from buying junk food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/nyregion/ban-on-using-food-stamps-to-buy-soda-rejected-by-usda.html

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:How many liberals were up in arms when Mayor Bloomberg’s proposed to ban New York City’s food stamp users from buying soda and other sugary drinks? I remember!

New York City Coalition Against Hunger, cheered the federal government for “deciding not to micromanage” the lives of poor people.

In 2004, The Agriculture Department denied a request by officials in Minnesota to prevent food stamp recipients from buying junk food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/nyregion/ban-on-using-food-stamps-to-buy-soda-rejected-by-usda.html

Are you suggesting that food stamp recipients are as ill-equipped mentally as children?

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

No one drinks gasoline.  It's not a food.  Bad example.

Then substitute gasoline with any other product that children are not allowed to consume, if that helps.

It doesn't help me. If Markle comes back and posts that parents should be allowed to make their kids drink gasoline and inflict other forms of abuse on their kids, then I will see your point. Otherwise, I don't think Markle is saying what you think or claim he's saying.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:It doesn't help me.  If Markle comes back and posts that parents should be allowed to make their kids drink gasoline and inflict other forms of abuse on their kids, then I will see your point.

No need for Markle to come back and state that. Here are his own words on the topic:

Markle wrote:When did it become the job of the government and corporations to determine what your child eats or does not eat?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:

The government, concerning the youth, has the right to enact protective measures, consistent with the First Amendment.

Now Boards....why are fast food establishments the only ones being targeted? Perhaps you should borrow a kid and take a stroll down the cereal aisle, (?) fruit juice, and snack aisle.

No matter what is banned from being advertised, the ultimate responsibility for proper nutrition has to be made by the parents/caregivers. It's called parental responsibility and the Almighty Government can not make all parents be responsible and concerned for the welfare of their own children.

The government needs to continue to educate and provide assistance to parents that need it. I will also add....they should encourage physical fitness not just restrictions. Too many kids sit on their butts all day playing with electronic games.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:How many liberals were up in arms when Mayor Bloomberg’s proposed to ban New York City’s food stamp users from buying soda and other sugary drinks? I remember!

Are you suggesting that food stamp recipients are as ill-equipped mentally as children?

Are you saying that children drive to fast food restaurants pull out cash or debit cards and buy their own Happy Meal?

And to answer your question....yes, some are. Look at the stats regarding low-income teen pregnancies....children having children.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

afro 
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Are you saying that children drive to fast food restaurants pull out cash or debit cards and buy their own Happy Meal?

And to answer your question....yes, some are.

Anyone who is incabable of feeding themselves must have some form of mental disability. Either that or they're just plain lazy.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:It doesn't help me.  If Markle comes back and posts that parents should be allowed to make their kids drink gasoline and inflict other forms of abuse on their kids, then I will see your point.  

No need for Markle to come back and state that.  Here are his own words on the topic:

Markle wrote:When did it become the job of the government and corporations to determine what your child eats or does not eat?

Is gasoline something that people eat?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

How I approached this subject with my own kids:

1) Sweets are not a reward for good behavior, which has its own rewards.
2) We don't eat foods that have "...no nutritional value..."  We limit sodas and empty calorie snacks.
3) I or their dad packed their lunch for school most days...in a cold pack.
4) Fast food was rare...I believe in home cooked meals and usually cook from scratch.
5) The result is that I have two daughters who are healthy and conscious about what they eat.  Did it always work?  Of course not, but now they don't eat junk.  

Taco Bell should upgrade the quality of their food, IMHO.  Other fast food chains have done it...ex:  McDonald's, Wendy's, Subway...

People need education on this stuff...I mean parents...how can you make so-called healthy choices when the food industry is lying about what's in their prepared food?  GMO's?  Artificial dye no. ?  Heavy oils?  High fructose corn syrup?  Soft drinks...don't keep them in the house.  I really could write a book here.

But instead:

Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
2 green onions with tops
1 tomato, juice of 1 lime, salt, dash pepper, good pinch of fresh cilantro (if you have it...dried cilantro if not)

Scoop out avocados and dice into bowl, squeeze lime juice over top, add tomato and other ingredients.  Serve.

----------------

Yes, Boards, the government has to have standards for the food industry, but we have seen the trend...the lobbyists for the biggies write the standards for the industry, just as in other sectors of the economy. The only way to combat this is for people to demand proper labeling of food and make conscientious choices when preparing food for their families. It is the responsibility of the parents, but parents need to know what they're buying. For the government to regulate the practices of the food industry is one thing (as Martha Stewart says, "a good thing"), but real regulation is most definitely not the same thing as a government mandate or as some would wildly accuse...a nanny state. The regulations need to flip to the side of the ultimate consumer...not big agribusiness...and we don't need to subsidize those operations...we also need to diversify crops away from wheat, corn and soy...and use sound, earth-friendly agricultural practices.

Nekochan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

No need for Markle to come back and state that.  Here are his own words on the topic:

Is gasoline something that people eat?

No. But apparently a steady diet of BS is enough to sustain the ravenous.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:How I approached this subject with my own kids:

2) We don't eat foods that have "...no nutritional value..."  We limit sodas and empty calorie snacks.
4) Fast food was rare...I believe in home cooked meals and usually cook from scratch.
5) The result is that I have two daughters who are healthy and conscious about what they eat.  Did it always work?  Of course not, but now they don't eat junk.  

Taco Bell should upgrade the quality of their food, IMHO.  Other fast food chains have done it...ex:  McDonald's, Wendy's, Subway...

People need education on this stuff...I mean parents...how can you make so-called healthy choices when the food industry is lying about what's in their prepared food?  GMO's?  Artificial dye no. ?  Heavy oils?  High fructose corn syrup?  Soft drinks...don't keep them in the house.  I really could write a book here.

But instead:

Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
2 green onions with tops
1 tomato, juice of 1 lime, salt, dash pepper, good pinch of fresh cilantro (if you have it...dried cilantro if not)

Scoop out avocados and dice into bowl, squeeze lime juice over top, add tomato and other ingredients.  Serve.

----------------

Yes, Boards, the government has to have standards for the food industry, but we have seen the trend...the lobbyists for the biggies write the standards for the industry, just as in other sectors of the economy.  The only way to combat this is for people to demand proper labeling of food and make conscientious choices when preparing food for their families.  It is the responsibility of the parents, but parents need to know what they're buying.  For the government to regulate the practices of the food industry is one thing (as Martha Stewart says, "a good thing"), but real regulation is most definitely not the same thing as a government mandate or as some would wildly accuse...a nanny state.  The regulations need to flip to the side of the ultimate consumer...not big agribusiness...and we don't need to subsidize those operations...we also need to diversify crops away from wheat, corn and soy...and use sound, earth-friendly agricultural practices.  

cheers cheers cheers you are a responsible parent/grandparent.

In edit....our little 11 month old loves Guacamole...we skip the green onions.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Exactly, I agree with FT and Joani. Educated, informed parents decide what foods their kids eat. Not the government. Look what we have when the government makes the decisions--horrible school lunches much of which most kids won't eat.

Nekochan wrote:Exactly, I agree with FT and Joani.  Educated, informed parents decide what foods their kids eat.   Not the government.  Look what we have when the government makes the decisions--horrible school lunches much of which  most kids won't eat.

Let Taco Bell provide those lunches. Problem solved.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

This post was made by Sir Loin who is currently on your ignore list.

Banned poster.

Joanimaroni wrote:This post was made by Sir Loin who is currently on your ignore list.

Banned poster.

LOL. Was I speaking to you or do you always speak for others?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

This post was made by Sir Loin who is currently on your ignore list.

Banned poster.

Sal

Sal

But instead:

Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
2 green onions with tops

----------------

Yes, Boards, the government has to have standards for the food industry, but we have seen the trend...the lobbyists for the biggies write the standards for the industry, just as in other sectors of the economy.  The only way to combat this is for people to demand proper labeling of food and make conscientious choices when preparing food for their families.  It is the responsibility of the parents, but parents need to know what they're buying.  For the government to regulate the practices of the food industry is one thing (as Martha Stewart says, "a good thing"), but real regulation is most definitely not the same thing as a government mandate or as some would wildly accuse...a nanny state.  The regulations need to flip to the side of the ultimate consumer...not big agribusiness...and we don't need to subsidize those operations...we also need to diversify crops away from wheat, corn and soy...and use sound, earth-friendly agricultural practices.  

Another important thing to teach kids is to eat because they are hungry, never because they are bored.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:

But instead:

Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
2 green onions with tops

----------------

Another important thing to teach kids is to eat because they are hungry, never because they are bored.

Excellent....so many live to eat rather than eat to live.

Joanimaroni wrote:This post was made by Sir Loin who is currently on your ignore list.

Banned poster.

Gotcha. You peeked. LOL

A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"

The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep."

Seems very simple, it isn't

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum