Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels.

+6
ZVUGKTUBM
othershoe1030
Hospital Bob
Wordslinger
2seaoat
Markle
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just googled it. markle is probably right. all this alternative shit is just a barack obama boondoggle.
our oil imports have been dropping since 2005. oil is no longer a big deal.
goddamnit how out of touch with that could I be.

I feel like william jennings bryan did at the scopes trial. totally through as a legitimate commentator on current society.
but I knew this day was coming. no one is immune to what age does.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
2seaoat wrote:The truth is that diesel technology is constantly improving and is getting cleaner, and its unit cost is less expensive.  Even with the amply CNG now available, the improving diesel technologies are getting cleaner.  

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/829622-k8LC2V/native/829622.pdf

It would help if you give links rather than mixing a political agenda to a simple trend in technology.   Not very honest.

Diesel exhaust has always made me sick...boats, cars, trucks, etc.  

And Markle is never honest.

I'd suggest you hole your breath.

PLEASE STEP UP and share with us what I posted which is NOT TRUE.  Or are you going to admit that you are lying...again?

Did you mean "hold"?  I suggest you "hold" your breath until a truthful word passes your slimy lips.
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
― Socrates

Yes you hit a nerve and you're still hitting it.  And no the profanity got nothing to do with big and tough.  It happens whenever I see such a smart person let assholes do his thinking for him.   You and teo just piss me off.

Look at your fucking chart.  We used to import 25% of this fucking shit and over time that's grown to over 60%.  It's hundreds of billions of dollars of our wealth leaving the country every fucking year.
And then here you are putting up this fucking chart which shows it but you think the chart says Obama hussein.
And you can't understand why I cuss?

President Barack Hussein Obama has done all he can to reduce the amount of oil we produce and that which we buy from friends.

Foul language is childish.  So I consider the source and it helps evaluate the speaker.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
2seaoat wrote:The truth is that diesel technology is constantly improving and is getting cleaner, and its unit cost is less expensive.  Even with the amply CNG now available, the improving diesel technologies are getting cleaner.  

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/829622-k8LC2V/native/829622.pdf

It would help if you give links rather than mixing a political agenda to a simple trend in technology.   Not very honest.

Diesel exhaust has always made me sick...boats, cars, trucks, etc.  

And Markle is never honest.

I'd suggest you hole your breath.

PLEASE STEP UP and share with us what I posted which is NOT TRUE.  Or are you going to admit that you are lying...again?

Did you mean "hold"?  I suggest you "hold" your breath until a truthful word passes your slimy lips.
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
― Socrates

Yes you hit a nerve and you're still hitting it.  And no the profanity got nothing to do with big and tough.  It happens whenever I see such a smart person let assholes do his thinking for him.   You and teo just piss me off.

Look at your fucking chart.  We used to import 25% of this fucking shit and over time that's grown to over 60%.  It's hundreds of billions of dollars of our wealth leaving the country every fucking year.
And then here you are putting up this fucking chart which shows it but you think the chart says Obama hussein.
And you can't understand why I cuss?

President Barack Hussein Obama has done all he can to reduce the amount of oil we produce and that which we buy from friends.
Foul language is childish.  So I consider the source and it helps evaluate the speaker.

Um, you don't make any sense at all with the statement I highlighted.

Fact: U.S. oil production has risen yearly since President Obama has held the Whitehouse, and it is going to continue to grow. U.S. production was 5 million barrels per day in 2009, and it rose to 6.5 million barrels per day in 2012. Obama sure has hampered the oil industry during his tenure, hasn't he?: Rolling Eyes

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM is just too easy! After a while you'd think he/she would learn.... DO YOUR RESEARCH AT PLACES OTHER THAN THE HALLS OF PROGRESSIVISM!

TRUTH of the matter is that oil and gas production from FEDERAL LAND (that's land controlled by President Barack Hussein Obama) is DOWN. [i] Oil and gas production on PRIVATE AND STATE LANDS IS UP.

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Oil-production2011

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 OilGas-production2011

To make matters worse, President Obama is NOT finished destroying out country.

Page added on June 24, 2013

[b]Obama Administration Cuts Oil Development on Federal Land
Public Policy

The Obama administration is calling for cutting the amount of federal lands open for oil shale and tars sands development in the Western states, a plan that industry officials say may force companies to look overseas for opportunities.

A new Bureau of Land Management plan calls for allowing 700,000 acres of land for development, reports Fox News. This is a drastic cut from the Bush administration, which had set aside 1.3 million acres, and the oil industry is outraged by the change.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

So Markle and I piss Bob off.....I still have a reason to live.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:So Markle and I piss Bob off.....I still have a reason to live.

I was pissed off. But not anymore.
Last night I decided that one or the other of you is right.
Either everything evil and bad in the world is obama. Or everything evil and bad is the New World Order.
I know it has to be one or the other. The only thing left for me to decide was which.
But then this morning i think I've finally got it figured out.
It's The New World Order that's the cause of everything bad in the world.
And Obama is one of the ringleaders of the New World Order. Maybe even THE ringleader at the present time.
Which means you're both right.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:ZVUGKTUBM  is just too easy!  After a while you'd think he/she would learn....  DO YOUR RESEARCH AT PLACES OTHER THAN THE HALLS OF PROGRESSIVISM!  

TRUTH of the matter is that oil and gas production from FEDERAL LAND (that's land controlled by President Barack Hussein Obama) is DOWN. [i] Oil and gas production on PRIVATE AND STATE LANDS IS UP.

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Oil-production2011

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 OilGas-production2011

Obama Administration Cuts Oil Development on Federal Land
Public Policy

The Obama administration is calling for cutting the amount of federal lands open for oil shale and tars sands development in the Western states, a plan that industry officials say may force companies to look overseas for opportunities.

A new Bureau of Land Management plan calls for allowing 700,000 acres of land for development, reports Fox News. This is a drastic cut from the Bush administration, which had set aside 1.3 million acres, and the oil industry is outraged by the change.

We have had this argument before on the old PNJ forum..... The shale formations in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado your sources refer to are not the same as the shale formations in North Dakota, Texas, and Pennsylvania where oil and gas development are booming. There is no technology available to develop those formations.

Obama is doing nothing to impede oil development in North Dakota or Texas, or gas development in Pennsylvania. This graph proves it:

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Bingam11

Oil production continues to grow under Obama, no matter how much you hate it, Markle!

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 7/2/2013, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx?country=us&graph=production

This clearly shows that oil production in the United States hit bottom in 2008-2009 it has been shooting back up Since the President has been in office with some remarkable gains in production.   Now If you were running a grain elevator which held a million bushels of corn, and there was a bumper crop which was dropping the price of corn, are you going to dump all million bushels into the market, or are you going to very conservatively manage your asset to get the best return.  Oil leases have been notoriously low as industry insiders move from the government into the private sector.   It certainly makes sense to me to maximize government assets at a time when overall productivity is reaching new highs.   We are not a third world country to be exploited by the oil industry as they drain our natural resources and pay pennies on the dollar on leaseholds.   We are finally doing a much better job of managing those assets, and in particular not flooding the market with leaseholds which artificially lower the price of the same.   By the President cutting the number of leaseholds going out to bid, simply supply and demand will take place.   These actions are being done at the very same time that we have a boom in oil production......some folks on this forum need to talk to a farmer coop and learn how they operate their grain elevators.......the United States government should maximizes our national resources.....not giving them away to special interest groups who are now squealing like a stuffed pig as they realize America is going to maximize our oil leases and get fair prices.   The threat of production companies going to some other third world country to exploit their resources provides America with cheaper imports, which in light of our rapidly expanding production makes them even cheaper.   Smart management of our resources.......that is a good thing.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx?country=us&graph=production

This clearly shows that oil production in the United States hit bottom in 2008-2009 it has been shooting back up Since the President has been in office with some remarkable gains in production.   Now If you were running a grain elevator which held a million bushels of corn, and there was a bumper crop which was dropping the price of corn, are you going to dump all million bushels into the market, or are you going to very conservatively manage your asset to get the best return.  Oil leases have been notoriously low as industry insiders move from the government into the private sector.   It certainly makes sense to me to maximize government assets at a time when overall productivity is reaching new highs.   We are not a third world country to be exploited by the oil industry as they drain our natural resources and pay pennies on the dollar on leaseholds.   We are finally doing a much better job of managing those assets, and in particular not flooding the market with leaseholds which artificially lower the price of the same.   By the President cutting the number of leaseholds going out to bid, simply supply and demand will take place.   These actions are being done at the very same time that we have a boom in oil production......some folks on this forum need to talk to a farmer coop and learn how they operate their grain elevators.......the United States government should  maximizes our national resources.....not giving them away to special interest groups who are now squealing like a stuffed pig as they realize America is going to maximize our oil leases and get fair prices.   The threat of production companies going to some other third world country to exploit their resources provides America with cheaper imports, which in light of our rapidly expanding production makes them even cheaper.   Smart management of our resources.......that is a good thing.

Thank you for decosntructing Markle's argument even further..... He is making it easy today. cyclops

2seaoat

Well, he makes a valid point that Government is becoming much more precise in our leases. We are not giving away the store. Of course the special interests and the media they control will try to make this an anti energy development stance, but it is much more an accounting function. It is valuing our assets at the highest market price. The very thing which he is criticizing is making America stronger.....getting value for our resources....we fought a revolution to not be exploited economically, and finally the government is not giving away our assets to those special interests who contribute generously for those who allow subsidy and artificially low market leases.

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:I'm just too simple a person for conspiracy theories,  Pkr.  They're just way to complicated and convoluted for me.

My simple mind sees two fundamental explantations.

1.  Solyndra was a failure because it wasn't the shareholders' money being put at risk.  When the taxpayers are absorbing the risk it can and will usually be too risky.

2.  Solyndra was given taxpayer money for the same reason most businesses are given taxpayer money.  Because it's payback to the principals in the company for helping to get the politician votes.

I have always thought Solyndra was destroyed by the Fossil Fuel Corporations. About anything can be done with enough money

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:ZVUGKTUBM  is just too easy!  After a while you'd think he/she would learn....  DO YOUR RESEARCH AT PLACES OTHER THAN THE HALLS OF PROGRESSIVISM!  

Public Policy

We have had this argument before on the old PNJ forum..... The shale formations in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado your sources refer to are not the same as the shale formations in North Dakota, Texas, and Pennsylvania where oil and gas development are booming. There is no technology available to develop those formations.

Obama is doing nothing to impede oil development in North Dakota or Texas, or gas development in Pennsylvania. This graph proves it:

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Bingam11

Oil production continues to grow under Obama, no matter how much you hate it, Markle!

As you know, and are loath to admit it even to yourself, the increase is due to oil and gas production on private and state land and NOT on Federal land. Even faced with FACTS you make a futile effort to twist and revise the FACTS. President Barack Hussein Obama is doing EXACTLY as he promised. Cause pain and suffering in the low and middle income households forcing them to depend more and more on government for their survival. I know you are so proud.

Please don’t worry about your electricity bills. President Barack Hussein Obama has it ALL UNDER CONTROL for you!

Obama: We are 5 days from FUNDAMENTALLY transforming America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqN4NIEtOY

President Barack Hussein Obama Says- Americans Want Higher Gas Prices
http://tinyurl.com/2d3vd2f

Obama: My “Cap and Trade” plan will necessarily cause Electricity Rates to Skyrocket
http://tinyurl.com/dkbowv

Obama says he will bankrupt the COAL INDUSTRY! San Francisco Gate Interview January 2008.
http://tinyurl.com/yh2va37

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Public Policy

As you know, and are loath to admit it even to yourself, the increase is due to oil and gas production on private and state land and NOT on Federal land.  Even faced with FACTS you make a futile effort to twist and revise the FACTS.  President Barack Hussein Obama is doing EXACTLY as he promised.  Cause pain and suffering in the low and middle income households forcing them to depend more and more on government for their survival.  I know you are so proud.

Please don’t worry about your electricity bills.  President Barack Hussein Obama has it ALL UNDER CONTROL for you!

Obama: We are 5 days from FUNDAMENTALLY transforming America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqN4NIEtOY

President Barack Hussein Obama Says- Americans Want Higher Gas Prices
http://tinyurl.com/2d3vd2f

Obama:  My “Cap and Trade” plan will necessarily cause Electricity Rates to Skyrocket
http://tinyurl.com/dkbowv

Obama says he will bankrupt the COAL INDUSTRY!  San Francisco Gate Interview January 2008.
http://tinyurl.com/yh2va37

You don't understand what you are trying to convey...... And you are making yourself look foolish, as usual (cue the Socrates quote....)....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote: (cue the Socrates quote....)....

rotflol

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:

rotflol

I do enjoy it when the Progressives here are faced with facts and the truth and they sound like an old record stuck in a grove repeating the same falsehood over and over.

ZVUGKTUBM refuses to admit he is wrong about oil and gas production by posting the same misleading chart.

You, on the other hand, sing the praises of the failed green electric cars.  Vehicles, which will be feasible, when we have the same type storage capabilities for electric that we have for water.

As for the cars themselves....

This research is from BERKLEY...can it get any further to the far, far LEFT?
From UPI

Technology

Study: Electric cars no greener than gasoline vehicles

Electric cars, despite their supposed green credentials, are among the environmentally dirtiest transportation options, a U.S. researcher suggests.

Published: July 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

BERKELEY, Calif., July 1 (UPI) -- Electric cars, despite their supposed green credentials, are among the environmentally dirtiest transportation options, a U.S. researcher suggests.

Writing in the journal IEEE Spectrum, researcher Ozzie Zehner says electric cars lead to hidden environmental and health damages and are likely more harmful than gasoline cars and other transportation options.

Electric cars merely shift negative impacts from one place to another, he wrote, and "most electric-car assessments analyze only the charging of the car. This is an important factor indeed. But a more rigorous analysis would consider the environmental impacts over the vehicle's entire life cycle, from its construction through its operation and on to its eventual retirement at the junkyard."

[...]

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Technology/2013/07/01/Study-Electric-cars-no-greener-than-gasoline-vehicles/UPI-40741372711871/#ixzz2Xy2DurU4

Last edited by Markle on 7/3/2013, 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spacing)

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:

rotflol

I do enjoy it when the Progressives here are faced with facts and the truth and they sound like an old record stuck in a grove repeating the same falsehood over and over.

ZVUGKTUBM refuses to admit he is wrong about oil and gas production by posting the same misleading chart.

You, on the other hand, sing the praises of the failed green electric cars.  Vehicles, which will be feasible, when we have the same type storage capabilities for electric that we have for water.

As for the cars themselves....

This research is from BERKLEY...can it get any further to the far, far LEFT?
From UPI

Technology

Study: Electric cars no greener than gasoline vehicles

Electric cars, despite their supposed green credentials, are among the environmentally dirtiest transportation options, a U.S. researcher suggests.

Published: July 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

BERKELEY, Calif., July 1 (UPI) -- Electric cars, despite their supposed green credentials, are among the environmentally dirtiest transportation options, a U.S. researcher suggests.

Writing in the journal IEEE Spectrum, researcher Ozzie Zehner says electric cars lead to hidden environmental and health damages and are likely more harmful than gasoline cars and other transportation options.

Electric cars merely shift negative impacts from one place to another, he wrote, and "most electric-car assessments analyze only the charging of the car. This is an important factor indeed. But a more rigorous analysis would consider the environmental impacts over the vehicle's entire life cycle, from its construction through its operation and on to its eventual retirement at the junkyard."

[...]

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Technology/2013/07/01/Study-Electric-cars-no-greener-than-gasoline-vehicles/UPI-40741372711871/#ixzz2Xy2DurU4

This is just a motorhead talking as revealed at the end of the little article.
He's exaggerating all of it except battery disposal.  Yes the disposal of nickel metal hydride batteries does pose an environmental hazard.  That is a fact and it should be of concern.
But it's hardly any more concern than the environmental impact of all the carbon the gas engines are spewing into the atmosphere.  Not to mention the fucking smog.  

But yes the Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries do suffer from this.  
But what he's conveniently leaving out is that we are now transitioning to Li-Ion (lithium ion) batteries.  They're already in the Volt and the plug-in Prius and the Leaf.  And they will soon be in the conventional hybrid cars (not plug-in) as well.   Mainly because they store more electricity in a lighter package which is the biggest goal in advancing electric car technology.
Li-Ion batteries DO NOT have any disposal problem.  So that problem is soon to be solved.

So no afraid that argument doesn't fly,  markle.  So this time you're the one who "lied" even though you didn't do it intentionally.  You did it by looking for something with google to make your case but what you found is not it.

But what you keep ignoring is the main point I've made and now newswatcher has emphasized in the other thread.   That money to buy gasoline goes to dictator nations who spawn anti-american terrorists and who even you right-wingers say are america's enemies.
And the money to buy electricity goes to Americans.
You keep ignoring that because it's a fact that you know you can't dispute.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There's one thing for certain,  markle, and it's something that completely escapes you and that motorhead you linked.  No coal plant will ever dump a million tons of liquid coal into the Gulf of Mexico which fucks up the marine life and washes onto our beaches. Just like no coal plant will ever do what the exxon valdez did either. Or what the next one is gonna do.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:There's one thing for certain,  markle, and it's something that completely escapes you and that motorhead you linked.  No coal plant will ever dump a million tons of liquid coal into the Gulf of Mexico which fucks up the marine life and washes onto our beaches.  Just like no coal plant will ever do what the exxon valdez did either.  Or what the next one is gonna do.

Yep, stuff happens and all is well again.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

Yep, stuff happens and all is well again.

Sure it is, markle.  Steve Doocy says so.

Kolian’s team has done studies of their own to alarming results. “We recently submitted a paper showing levels of hydrocarbons in seafood were up to 3,000 times higher than safety thresholds for human consumption,” he said. “Concentrations in biota [i.e. all marine life] samples were even greater.”

Kolian’s friend and colleague, Scott Porter, described in his affidavit to GAP how Corexit had caused dispersed crude to coat the bottom of the sea in a sickening, deadly film. In July 2011, he and other divers traveled to a part of the Florida Panhandle, known as the Emerald Coast for its pristine seawater, to collect samples for the Surfrider Foundation.

“When we went diving, however, the water had a brownish white haze that resembled what we saw in offshore Louisiana at 30 feet below sea level,” Porter’s affidavit stated. “I have never witnessed anything like that since I began diving in the Emerald Coast 20 years ago. We witnessed…a reddish brown substance on the seafloor that resembled tar and spanned a much larger area than is typical of natural runoff.”

In areas covered with the substance, “we noticed much less sea life,” Porter continued. “There were hardly any sand dollars or crabs and only some fish, whereas we would normally see an abundance of organisms. It was desolate.”

In April 2012, Louisiana State University’s Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences was finding lesions and grotesque deformities in sea life—including millions of shrimp with no eyes and crabs without eyes or claws

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/04/24/corexit-bp-deepwater-horizon-oil-spill-effects-marine-life

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.therationalmajority.org/snap-facts/snapfact211-thetruestoryaboutpresidentsbushsandobamassolyndrainitiative

"Let’s face it; we are living in a topsy-turvy time. Perhaps Justin Hayward, lyricist of the Moody Blues “Nights in White Satin”, put it best in their 1967 tour-de-force Days of Future Past LP.

“Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colors from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?”

Today, it is the “Right” that decides that illusion trumps facts in their reality.

It’s baffling that Facts have become either irrelevant, or worse, they are flipped like a cheap coin so the heads is tails and tails is heads. The Solyndra saga is just one of the many sad examples of the illusionary tactics of the right wing.

The word about Solyndra is out and about as though this is President Obama’s biggest flub and is the single thing that should drive him from office. Surely the President has some culpability in this mis-adventure, but there is more to the song than the discordant tune that is being played these days.

The true story is much more interesting than the made up one we are hearing. Let’s examine the facts:

Solyndra was a solar energy company that designed and manufactured solar panels for the commercial rooftop market. Solyndra systems were designed to provide the lowest cost of electricity and the highest kilowatt hour production. After a very promising start they declared bankruptcy in 2011. The main reasons for the failure were that the average cost per kilowatt hour, which was the basis of the company’s marketing advantage, dropped precipitously from $3.30 to $1.00. Another main contributor was the aggressive “dumping of illegally subsidized Chinese product on the market. Both of these factors were unforeseen and out of the company’s control.

The company was widely regarded as an innovative and well respected business. Some of their many accolades included:

Solyndra was named one of the world’s “50 Most Innovative Companies” in 2010 by MIT’s Technology Review and included in the Wall Street Journal’s “The Next Big Thing: Top 50 Venture Backed Companies.”

Private investors, after conducting their own careful review of Solyndra, put $1 billion of their own private capital behind the company. Solyndra reported sales growth of 40% from 2009 to 2010, from $100 to $140 million.

• This loan guarantee was pursued by both the Bush and Obama Administrations.
• The Solyndra loan underwent 3-1/2 years of rigorous internal and external review before being approved. It attracted venture capital support and was thoroughly vetted by objective, independent validators who believed this project was worthy of investment.

Although you wouldn’t know it from today’s headlines, the Solyndra story started in 2005 under the Department of Energy loan guarantee program devised under the Bush administration. Solyndra was a startup company at that time. The Solyndra loan application was submitted in December of 2006 and by 2007 congressional Republican Senators began to push for the 2 year program to get going. This push was still on in 2010 as witnessed below..."

(timeline follows)

The Department of energy sums it up succinctly. “When it comes to clean energy, we have a choice to make. We can compete in the global marketplace – creating American jobs and selling American products – or we can buy the technologies of tomorrow from abroad”.

The quote continues. “Our loan programs are today supporting a diverse portfolio of more than 40 projects that plan to employ 60,000 Americans and give us a chance to compete and succeed in the global clean energy race. These include the largest wind farm in the world, the first new nuclear power plant in the United States in three decades, and the largest solar generating stations in the world”.

“Historically, our government has supported emerging industries -- from transcontinental railroads to aviation to the microchip. These investments strengthened our Nation and leveraged the private investments that drove our prosperity. Now is not the time to stop investing in our Nation’s future”.

Solyndra is only one of the investments that the Obama administration has made in the clean energy field. By September of 2011 the Department of Energy had an investment portfolio that reached $37.8 billion. Given that Solyndra was their only failure to date, that would account for 1.3% of the budget being written off to bad debts – an enviable record by any standards..."

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
http://www.therationalmajority.org/snap-facts/snapfact211-thetruestoryaboutpresidentsbushsandobamassolyndrainitiative

"Let’s face it; we are living in a topsy-turvy time. Perhaps Justin Hayward, lyricist of the Moody Blues “Nights in White Satin”, put it best in their 1967 tour-de-force Days of Future Past LP.

“Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colors from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?”

Today, it is the “Right” that decides that illusion trumps facts in their reality.

It’s baffling that Facts have become either irrelevant, or worse, they are flipped like a cheap coin so the heads is tails and tails is heads. The Solyndra saga is just one of the many sad examples of the illusionary tactics of the right wing.

The word about Solyndra is out and about as though this is President Obama’s biggest flub and is the single thing that should drive him from office. Surely the President has some culpability in this mis-adventure, but there is more to the song than the discordant tune that is being played these days.

The true story is much more interesting than the made up one we are hearing. Let’s examine the facts:

Solyndra was a solar energy company that designed and manufactured solar panels for the commercial rooftop market. Solyndra systems were designed to provide the lowest cost of electricity and the highest kilowatt hour production. After a very promising start they declared bankruptcy in 2011. The main reasons for the failure were that the average cost per kilowatt hour, which was the basis of the company’s marketing advantage, dropped precipitously from $3.30 to $1.00. Another main contributor was the aggressive “dumping of illegally subsidized Chinese product on the market. Both of these factors were unforeseen and out of the company’s control.

The company was widely regarded as an innovative and well respected business. Some of their many accolades included:

Solyndra was named one of the world’s “50 Most Innovative Companies” in 2010 by MIT’s Technology Review and included in the Wall Street Journal’s “The Next Big Thing: Top 50 Venture Backed Companies.”

Private investors, after conducting their own careful review of Solyndra, put $1 billion of their own private capital behind the company. Solyndra reported sales growth of 40% from 2009 to 2010, from $100 to $140 million.

• This loan guarantee was pursued by both the Bush and Obama Administrations.
• The Solyndra loan underwent 3-1/2 years of rigorous internal and external review before being approved.
It attracted venture capital support and was thoroughly vetted by objective, independent validators who believed this project was worthy of investment.

Although you wouldn’t know it from today’s headlines, the Solyndra story started in 2005 under the Department of Energy loan guarantee program devised under the Bush administration. Solyndra was a startup company at that time. The Solyndra loan application was submitted in December of 2006 and by 2007 congressional Republican Senators began to push for the 2 year program to get going. This push was still on in 2010 as witnessed below..."

(timeline follows)

The Department of energy sums it up succinctly. “When it comes to clean energy, we have a choice to make. We can compete in the global marketplace – creating American jobs and selling American products – or we can buy the technologies of tomorrow from abroad”.

The quote continues. “Our loan programs are today supporting a diverse portfolio of more than 40 projects that plan to employ 60,000 Americans and give us a chance to compete and succeed in the global clean energy race. These include the largest wind farm in the world, the first new nuclear power plant in the United States in three decades, and the largest solar generating stations in the world”.

“Historically, our government has supported emerging industries -- from transcontinental railroads to aviation to the microchip. These investments strengthened our Nation and leveraged the private investments that drove our prosperity. Now is not the time to stop investing in our Nation’s future”.

Solyndra is only one of the investments that the Obama administration has made in the clean energy field. By September of 2011 the Department of Energy had an investment portfolio that reached $37.8 billion. Given that Solyndra was their only failure to date, that would account for 1.3% of the budget being written off to bad debts – an enviable record by any standards..."

1. Solyndra was denied government guarantees for the loan by the administration of President George Walker Bush.\

2. You're really going to say that the only solar company, with government guaranteed loans, which failed since 2008 was Solyndra?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Whenever I hear the republicans claim one thing and the democrats claim another, I always like to get some input from factcheck.org
So let's do that with Solyndra.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/10/obamas-solyndra-problem/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Bob wrote:Yes the disposal of nickel metal hydride batteries does pose an environmental hazard

I misspoke in that quote so I want to correct my mistake.
There are so damn many battery types that it gets confused.

I was thinking of nickel cadmium batteries when I said that.  Those are the sorry batteries used in cordless power tools.  The ones that quickly lose their ability to recharge.  While they can be recycled,  they are hazardous to dispose of in landfills.

The nickel metal hydride battery,  which is used in the conventional Prius and other hybrids,  is an entirely different animal when it comes to disposal.  They can be disposed of in landfills with no risk to the environment.  
They are however, being commonly recycled.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

It doesn't matter how Solyndra failed. It will not stop the large-scale adoption of renewable electricity from solar in the coming years. Look, FEDEX, Walmart, Costco, IKEA, the Timberlands, and many other companies with real estate are putting solar arrays on their roofs. They are not going "green" to help Mother Earth; rather, the only "green" they know is Moolah! They are doing this for their bottom-lines only. And, they are using older technology solar arrays, not the disruptive solar technologies that will break out over the next few years.

Walmart solar array:

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Walmart-solar

FEDEX solar array:

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Fedexsolarbigger

Costco Solar Array:

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Costco

IKEA solar array:

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Ikea-roof

My future solar array (Dow PowerHouse Solar Shingles):

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Installation-solarshingle

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

My future solar array (Dow PowerHouse Solar Shingles):

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels. - Page 3 Installation-solarshingle
Z,

Does that panel array provide enough juice to give the house all it's electricity needs?
And what would an array like that cost currently?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum