Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels.

+6
ZVUGKTUBM
othershoe1030
Hospital Bob
Wordslinger
2seaoat
Markle
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Markle

Markle

Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels.

New York can't repair them fast enough to keep them on the road plus the massive expense of repairing the Green Machines.

[...]

From the New York Post.
June 30, 2013

The MTA’s electric revolution is grinding to a halt.

The agency hasn’t purchased an electric-diesel hybrid bus in three years, and as many as 389 — 23 percent of all its hybrids — could be retrofitted with new diesel engines soon, MTA officials revealed to The Post.

Union officials warned that the switch will come with a great cost — to the public’s health.

“It’s a slap in the face if they start going back to diesel again,” said a skeptical transit-union source. “It’s not good for people’s lungs.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/volt_
face_on_buses_TrJh6Hpaib0UZC7KBi4VrJ

###

Of course the UNIONS are opposed...not for green air but rather for green backs.  The fewer the Green Mobiles the fewer Union Man Hours to repair the failing beasts.

I wonder how much President Barack Hussein Obama paid New York to buy the boondoggle?

Last edited by Markle on 7/1/2013, 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

The truth is that diesel technology is constantly improving and is getting cleaner, and its unit cost is less expensive. Even with the amply CNG now available, the improving diesel technologies are getting cleaner.

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/829622-k8LC2V/native/829622.pdf

It would help if you give links rather than mixing a political agenda to a simple trend in technology. Not very honest.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Herr Markle, do you have any evidence at all that any union has made a statement regarding the change of propulsion for these buses? I thought not. LOL

Markle wrote:Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels.

New York can't repair them fast enough to keep them on the road plus the massive expense of repairing the Green Machines.

[...]

From the New York Post.
June 30, 2013

[b]The MTA’s electric revolution is grinding to a halt.[/b]

The agency hasn’t purchased an electric-diesel hybrid bus in three years, and as many as 389 — 23 percent of all its hybrids — could be retrofitted with new diesel engines soon, MTA officials revealed to The Post.

Union officials warned that the switch will come with a great cost — to the public’s health.

“It’s a slap in the face if they start going back to diesel again,” said a skeptical transit-union source. “It’s not good for people’s lungs.”

###

Of course the UNIONS are opposed...not for green air but rather for green backs.  The fewer the Green Mobiles the fewer Union Man Hours to repair the failing beasts.

I wonder how much President Barack Hussein Obama paid New York to buy the boondoggle?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Government and politicians have inadvertently done more to demonize electricity in the public's minds than the oil companies could have ever done with a billion dollars worth of advertising.
They did it by investing public money into all these failures.

This same New York Post article markel has linked was picked up by Breitbart.  Here are two of the comments following the article...

"I just asked a painfully liberal coworker of mine, who just bought a Toyota hybrid, if he even inquired as to what was the expected cost of changing the batteries when they wear out. Toyota told him "changing the batteries would be a routine maintenance matter, and would cost no more than $400 USD." Then I asked him why his little compact car cost nearly $50,000 USD, when a similar compact car with a gas engine costs less than $30,000 USD. Could it possibly be $20,000 of high tech batteries in the belly of the car? I think the $400 USD for the battery replacement was for labor. The parts are another matter!"

Hybrids cost $2500 to $5000 more than regular gasoline versions of the "same" car. The only way to recoup the cost via savings on gasoline--this is with gas prices at like $3.50/gallon--is to drive the car for about 8 years. The average American is keeping their new car for a record long time these days--about 5 and a third years before getting a new car. This math doesn't add up to the average hybrid car owner making out. Especially if you consider buying a used car in the first place to get yourself around--in which case the used gasoline powered car is the winner by any standards so far as cost to purchase and keep running. Yep. Keep running. Hold onto that hybrid and you will need to replace batteries and even transmissions (such as they are in hybrids); like any other 8 year old car, hybrids have maintenance costs of comparable ouch factors to regular cars. Don't expect a liberal to sort that out ahead of time, though. The knowledge that they are saving the world by reducing their carbon footprint is all they need to know--of course, "Toyota admits that the production of its lightweight Prius requires more
energy and emits more carbon dioxide than the production of its
gas-only models.
The major reason is because hybrids like the Prius include more
advanced components than a conventional car, including a second electric
motor and heavy battery packs." So, there's that, too. Not that the Earth notices your carbon footprint (or anyone else's), by the way. Also, there is that the nickel mining process required to make so many of these batteries is quite detrimental to the local environments where they are actually mined. Liberals. So dumb."

If those hybrid bus powertrains are high maintenance it's because governments bought untested and unreliable crap from Orion which is a subsidiary of Chrysler.
Chrysler's involvement with hybrid vehicles is a joke.  If you read this you'll be able to understand that...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078329_chrysler-yes-well-build-a-few-electric-and-hybrid-cars-we-have-to

So as a result of this,  you will now have millions more in the public believing "hybrid" is a dirty word.  They believe because these government-bought Chrysler buses are a failure, that has to mean "hybrid" is a failure.  As evidenced by the two comments I provided above.
But those commenters will remain oblivious to the report you see below.  Because it will never be published in a Murdoch newspaper.  Murdoch newspapers are only allowed to publish articles which say hybrid is evil and liberal and an invention of Hussein Barack Obama.  lol

Ten-Year Old Toyota Hybrid Priuses Defy Early Critics
Consumer Reports Tests Find The Gas-Electric Hybrid No Hothouse Flower--Going Strong After 200K Miles

The roll-out of the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf electric cars in recent months has ignited a debate over this new technology.

Skeptics are posing questions about possible ghosts in the machine, wondering how long the batteries will perform at top level, worried about the length of the battery life, and want to know what it will cost to replace a battery if required.

If those questions sound familiar, it's because skeptics were asking the same kinds of questions about hybrid-car technology almost 11 years ago, when the Toyota Prius was making its debut in the U.S. market.

Fast forward to today. Based on data from over 36,000 Toyota Prius hybrids in its annual survey, Consumer Reports has found that the Prius consistently gets top marks when it comes to reliability, and also boasts low ownership costs.

But now that the Prius has been around for more than a decade in the U.S., and available on the used-car market, some of those doubters might still wonder what the answers were to their old questions about long-term battery performance, durability and replacement. The same could be said of buyers who are considering buying a used Prius with a lot of miles on it.

The engineers at Consumer Reports recently decided to answer those questions by taking a 2002 Prius with 208,000 miles on it, and putting it through its paces. The magazine's testers hooked the car up to its testing instruments to see if battery performance and fuel efficiency had degraded, and if so, by how much. As part of the evaluation, the engineers also checked into battery replacement costs.

The upshot? They found that there was very little difference in battery performance, fuel economy and acceleration in the used '02 model when compared to a nearly identical 2001 Prius they tested 10 years ago when it was new.

The tests recently conducted on the old '02 model are the same ones they performed on the new '01 model 10 years ago. They drove on their own track, ran it through a city traffic course, and took it out on the freeway.

The detailed results: The '02 Prius with 208,000 miles on it got 40.4 mpg overall, compared to 40.6 mpg for the '01 Prius when it was brand new. Highway fuel economy for the old, used Prius was 48.3 mpg, compared to 48.6 mpg on the new Prius back in '01. And in the city, the numbers were 32.1 mpg compared to 30.5 mpg, respectively. (See chart below.)

When it comes to acceleration power, the difference was also negligible – the old used model went from 0 to 30 mph in 4.4 seconds, compared to 4.3 seconds for the new model 10 years ago. And, when the 0-to-60 time was measured, the numbers were 13.1 seconds and 12.7 seconds, respectively.

"Because it was a new technology back in 2000, I think the questions and concerns that people had at the time were understandable, especially when it came to how long the battery would last, and how long the battery would perform at top capacity," says Jake Fisher, a senior automotive engineer at Consumer Reports.

When most people think about batteries, they think about other batteries that don't last very long. Car batteries don't last more than a few years, and anyone who owns a laptop knows how quickly battery life can degrade over time.

"People back then were afraid that, over time, the miles per gallon would drop, it wouldn't run right, or that it wouldn't accelerate as quickly as it did when it was new," said Fisher.

Fisher says he recalls rumors about what it might cost to replace the Prius battery if that was required, with estimates as high as $10,000. But, right now, if the battery on that '02 Prius did need to be replaced, it would cost between $2,200 and $2,600 at a Toyota dealership.

"Except, it's doubtful that anyone would buy a brand-new hybrid battery for an eight-year-old vehicle," observes Fisher. "They would be most likely to go to a salvage yard, and find one on a low-mileage Prius, just like you would if you were looking to replace an engine or a transmission on any older car."

Consumer Reports found many such Prius batteries available at salvage yards in the $500 range.

Prius Taxis Perform

Bradly Berman, founder and editor of HybridCars.com and PluginCars.com, says that he is not surprised by Consumer Reports' test results. "For years, I've been seeing reports from Prius-driving taxi drivers, who have clocked 200,000 miles or more, and they've reported virtually no degradation of the battery or vehicle performance," says Berman. "There have been similar reports on HybridCars.com and other sites from individual long-distance hybrid drivers.

"This is not to say that absolutely no owners of first-generation hybrids have had to replace battery packs," adds Berman. "There have been a few, but my guess is that it's a single percentage point or two. By and large, these hybrid battery packs are way over-engineered. The carmakers were worried about battery longevity, and its potential impact on consumer acceptance, so they went overboard to make sure that the batteries would last longer than any other component of a conventional car."

Fisher and Berman agree that this kind of data should assuage any fears that consumers might have about hybrid technology and its long-range viability.

http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-prius-reliability/

Now about reliability.
None of this will ever be published in The New York Post or mentioned on Fox News.  Read it for yourself...

https://www.google.com/search?q=prius+reliability&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Actually, don't pay any attention to anything in that last post. Let's assume that it's all just liberal mainstream media propaganda put about by Hussein Barack Obama.
And while you're at it, forget that I'm the cheapest son of a bitch you'll ever talk to. Forget that my goal in life has always been to live as good using the least amount of money that I have to. That whenever I put my money on a car or anything else, it's because I want the most bang for every buck I spend. Not because I give a shit about "green" or politics or Hussein Obama or anything else.

Instead, do what I've done. When you're in a parking lot and spot someone getting in or out of a Prius, ask him/her "how do you like your car?"
The answers you will get will vary from "it's the best car I've ever owned" to "I love it".

And most of those people don't even give a shit about the fact that when they're getting 50 miles per gallon, they're using almost half as much oil bought from muslim terrorist countries as the all-gas powered car parked beside them. And Rupert Murdoch don't give a shit about that either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudge_(book)

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:Actually,  don't pay any attention to anything in that last post.  Let's assume that it's all just liberal mainstream media propaganda put about by Hussein Barack Obama.  
And while you're at it,  forget that I'm the cheapest son of a bitch you'll ever talk to.  Forget that my goal in life has always been to live as good using the least amount of money that I have to.  That whenever I put my money on a car or anything else,  it's because I want the most bang for every buck I spend.  Not because I give a shit about "green" or politics or Hussein Obama or anything else.

Instead,  do what I've done.  When you're in a parking lot and spot someone getting in or out of a Prius,  ask him/her "how do you like your car?"
The answers you will get will vary from "it's the best car I've ever owned" to "I love it".

And most of those people don't even give a shit about the fact that when they're getting 50 miles per gallon,  they're using almost half as much oil bought from muslim terrorist countries as the all-gas powered car parked beside them.  And Rupert Murdoch don't give a shit about that either.  

It is amazing to me that the supporters of drill baby drill seem to forget that it is the need for oil that has gotten us into most of our recent troubles in the world. If we could thumb our noses at all the oil producing nations and depend on our own renewable, clean, green energy we'd be in a lot better position on the world stage.

Big oil has focused fiercely on wiping out competition from non-oil energy sources promoting the "need" for individual transportation and sprawling development of cities. Fortunately the higher gas prices and the slowly emerging understanding of our climate change problems is turning public awareness and understanding toward the benefits of green energy. For whatever reasons, people are looking more and more toward electric cars etc. and it is about time.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudge_(book)

Help me out.  How does this figure into the thread? All I know about Cass Sunstein is that Glenn Beck thinks he's the antichrist.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:

It is amazing to me that the supporters of drill baby drill seem to forget that it is the need for oil that has gotten us into most of our recent troubles in the world. If we could thumb our noses at all the oil producing nations and depend on our own renewable, clean, green energy we'd be in a lot better position on the world stage.

Big oil has focused fiercely on wiping out competition from non-oil energy sources promoting the "need" for individual transportation and sprawling development of cities. Fortunately the higher gas prices and the slowly emerging understanding of our climate change problems is turning public awareness and understanding toward the benefits of green energy. For whatever reasons, people are looking more and more toward electric cars etc. and it is about time.
But the technology itself has to perform well and be cost-efficient.   Without that,  it's not going to be successful no matter how much public money is pumped into it.

And the results of the recent government involvement and endorsement of new technology is alone enough to dissuade public acceptance of it in the minds of many.  And that is a really tragic consequence of government incompetence and ineptitude.

It's just the belief that govt should steer consumption by using policy to narrow choices or force a particular decision.

It's been done in this country since the progressive movement... it has slowly moved our country away from a free market economic system under the guise of regulations to help us in some way. Usually the intentions have noble causes... but ideologic factors are hidden in the policies... the outcome is a result of the govt "nudge". We often wonder how the results are so wasteful and turn into bureaucratic boondoggles... it is no accident... and it's designed to fail while casting blame on the host not the parasite.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:It's just the belief that govt should steer consumption by using policy to narrow choices or force a particular decision.

It's been done in this country since the progressive movement... it has slowly moved our country away from a free market economic system under the guise of regulations to help us in some way. Usually the intentions have noble causes... but ideologic factors are hidden in the policies... the outcome is a result of the govt "nudge". We often wonder how the results are so wasteful and turn into bureaucratic boondoggles... it is no accident... and it's designed to fail while casting blame on the host not the parasite.

Well I can comprehend the basic concept except when I get to the part I've put in bold text.

So if I get that right, when Obama or Bloomberg or whoever is putting public money into questionable investments of new technology, he is intentionally wanting and expecting that to fail? And by doing this it allows him to "cast blame on the host"?

I'm unclear about who the word "host" is referring to. And how does it benefit Obama, Bloomberg etc to intentionally create a failure? What would be their motive for doing that?

The host in this instance is the free market. The underlying force was exactly the target of the govt regulations... large corps. But the result has been the corps using the govt via influence or "nudge" to direct our choices or consumption. That is a fascist economic model... injected during the pretense of protecting us from monopolies, working conditions, conservation, environment... etc.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:The host in this instance is the free market. The underlying force was exactly the target of the govt regulations... large corps. But the result has been the corps using the govt via influence or "nudge" to direct our choices or consumption. That is a fascist  economic model... injected during the pretense of protecting us from monopolies, working conditions, conservation, environment... etc.

This one is really making my head spin.   I just got the Publix robocall telling me my two free medication refills are ready for pickup.  I'll contemplate on all this while I'm gone.

But just off the top of my head,  here are two questions.

1.  how did Solyndra "use the government influence" to "direct our choices and consumption" when Solyndra went belly up?  

2.  And how does Obama "hurt the free market" by making public investments that go belly up when the only reaction I've seen to that is a public outcry that government involvement in that was a travesty which has created renewed public support for the free market?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm just too simple a person for conspiracy theories,  Pkr.  They're just way to complicated and convoluted for me.

My simple mind sees two fundamental explantations.

1.  Solyndra was a failure because it wasn't the shareholders' money being put at risk.  When the taxpayers are absorbing the risk it can and will usually be too risky.

2.  Solyndra was given taxpayer money for the same reason most businesses are given taxpayer money.  Because it's payback to the principals in the company for helping to get the politician votes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Oh and by the way,  I put way less significance in this Cass Sunstein fellow than Glenn Beck does.  I don't believe he's either the antichrist nor the diabolical mind behind a plot to destroy America as we know it.

I think he's just another over-educated nerd who's never had a real job pretty much like Obama.  And you can probably put Glenn Beck in that category too except I don't know if he even had an education. All I really know about Beck is he used to be an alcoholic.

Watch who picks up the pieces at pennies on the dollar... the results give it away... look who benefits.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I am a big fan of domestic oil and gas production. The shale revolution here in the U.S. has rolled back previous thoughts about Peak Oil--for the next several decades, anyway. My hope is that it keeps America from waging yet another war for oil, such as were our recent conflicts in the Persian Gulf region.

Still, electric vehicles are going to become mainstream regardless of Markle's funny pontifications about it. There are so many uses for oil besides burning it for fuel. As Bob implies, the move to hybrid and electric cars will be driven by cost and efficiency. Sale oil and gas and petroleum from ultra-deep water ocean sources are very expensive to develop. This is going to keep the price of liquid fuels from petroleum sources high. At some point in the future, it will make a lot of sense to power vehicles with an energy source besides petroleum. Electricity will be that source.

I will put another burr under Markle's butt and use this thread to tout solar. Renewable electricity from solar generation is going to become mainstream in a big way later in the 21st Century--because at some point in the near future, electricity from solar will become cheaper than electricity from fossil-fuel sources. When cheap electricity undercuts expensive gasoline and diesel for powering vehicles, electric vehicles will become predominant. Seaoat, OtherShoe and Bob are just ahead of the game, and I admire you guys for it (wish I could have talked my wife into that Prius 4 years ago.....).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:The truth is that diesel technology is constantly improving and is getting cleaner, and its unit cost is less expensive.  Even with the amply CNG now available, the improving diesel technologies are getting cleaner.  

It would help if you give links rather than mixing a political agenda to a simple trend in technology. Not very honest.

Markle can't make a post without politicizing it. He is so predictable.....Razz 

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

But the technology itself has to perform well and be cost-efficient.   Without that,  it's not going to be successful no matter how much public money is pumped into it.

And the results of the recent government involvement and endorsement of new technology is alone enough to dissuade public acceptance of it in the minds of many.  And that is a really tragic consequence of government incompetence and ineptitude.

Of course the technology has to perform well and be cost efficient but that takes time. For whatever reasons the US is behind the curve on solar development. China has gone into it head over heals and didn't want the competition from Solyndra.  The right wing, science denying, oil pushing press glommed on to the Solyndra story as the poster child for all they see that's wrong with research and development that diminishes big oil's grasp on the levers of the economy. It had a catchy name and was connected to the Obama administration, efforts to ween us away from oil and the added benefit of belittling the madness of venturing into the little understood arena of green energy. It was a company name and situation that Karl Rove himself would have been proud to have taken credit for.

It doesn't look like a "tragic consequence of government incompetence and ineptitude" to me but rather like a propaganda coup played to the hilt by Fox and Friends every time they smirk and mention the name Solyndra, now the code word for everything wrong with both government support of R&D and the crazy idea that there is energy to be captured from the sun.

Lol... science denying. If you knew anything about science you would know that breakthroughs come by disproving accepted theories... science evolved constantly. Any denying that is taking place is by those that refuse to question current theories or observations. There is no such thing as settled science... no matter how much money you want forced into it or social engineering you may desire.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Here's good news for hybrid owners:

http://phys.org/news/2013-06-all-solid-sulfur-based-battery-outperforms-lithium-ion.html

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:Another Massive GREEN Failure...New York Replacing Hybrid City Busses Engines with Diesels.

[...]

From the New York Post.
June 30, 2013

[b]The MTA’s electric revolution is grinding to a halt.[/b]

###

Page not found.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:The truth is that diesel technology is constantly improving and is getting cleaner, and its unit cost is less expensive.  Even with the amply CNG now available, the improving diesel technologies are getting cleaner.  

It would help if you give links rather than mixing a political agenda to a simple trend in technology.   Not very honest.

Diesel exhaust has always made me sick...boats, cars, trucks, etc.

And Markle is never honest.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:Here's good news for hybrid owners:

http://phys.org/news/2013-06-all-solid-sulfur-based-battery-outperforms-lithium-ion.html

My first cousin's son is a part of the team at Oak Ridge which discovered this...

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/physical_sciences_directorate/mst/mpg/wood.shtml

He told me about a month ago he believe by the end of this decade,  advances in battery technology will give us a plug-in hybrid car which will provide 100 mile range on a charge and the purchase price of the car will be no more than a comparable gasoline-only powered car.

In case you're not sure what that means,  it means that you will be able to buy a car for the same price you pay for a conventional car,  and you will be able to plug that car into a home electrical outlet and then drive 100 miles without using any gasoline.  And if you drive more than 100 miles before recharging the battery,  you will then be driving a hybrid car like the Prius for an additional 400 miles while you're getting 50 mpg.

BUT,  if you drive no more than a hundred miles in a day,  you will then bring the car home and plug it in again,  and then drive 100 miles the next day.   And you will never use a drop of gasoline.  And when you're powering a car with electricity bought off the electric grid,  the electricity costs about 1/3 of what you would pay per mile of driving a conventional gas-only powered car. And none of that money you're paying for electricity is going to OPEC.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

othershoe1030 wrote:
Bob wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Of course the technology has to perform well and be cost efficient but that takes time. For whatever reasons the US is behind the curve on solar development. China has gone into it head over heals and didn't want the competition from Solyndra.  The right wing, science denying, oil pushing press glommed on to the Solyndra story as the poster child for all they see that's wrong with research and development that diminishes big oil's grasp on the levers of the economy. It had a catchy name and was connected to the Obama administration, efforts to ween us away from oil and the added benefit of belittling the madness of venturing into the little understood arena of green energy. It was a company name and situation that Karl Rove himself would have been proud to have taken credit for.

It doesn't look like a "tragic consequence of government incompetence and ineptitude" to me but rather like a propaganda coup played to the hilt by Fox and Friends every time they smirk and mention the name Solyndra, now the code word for everything wrong with both government support of R&D and the crazy idea that there is energy to be captured from the sun.

China is actually building coal-fired power plants like crazy, and buying-up all of the American coal that our government does not want us to burn here. Coal has become a major export commodity for the U.S., as this article explains:

http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/obama-coal-stocks/3568

"....Truth is while Obama and dirt-cheap natural gas are putting the kibosh on coal-fired power in the United States, there are currently 1,200 new coal-fired power plants in pre-construction phases in 59 different countries. China and India are leading the way, but there are some other lesser-known European nations that are also not giving coal the cold shoulder. Take Poland, for instance...''

Despite the President's speech last week, American coal companies are doing just fine, and oil companies will also be fine. The coal we will not burn will be exported and burned on the other side of the world. The net global effect on CO2 emissions will stay the same.....  

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum