Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite fiction book

+3
Dcat
TEOTWAWKI
catfriedlegs
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Favorite fiction book Empty Favorite fiction book 8/13/2010, 8:40 pm

I only have two fav fiction books. because life is scarier than fiction.

Loved dracula by brim stroker< thats the name right?

and Left behind

2Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/13/2010, 9:14 pm

Chrissy8 wrote:I only have two fav fiction books. because life is scarier than fiction.

Loved dracula by brim stroker< thats the name right?

and Left behind

The name should be Bram Stoker.

3Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/13/2010, 11:18 pm

catfriedlegs

The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey

Diary of an Emotional Idiot by Maggie Estep

4Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 12:30 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

At the Earth's Core , Edgar Rice Burroughs

5Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 12:37 am

catfriedlegs

I just found a vintage paperback of his the other day. Here is a pic of it.

Favorite fiction book 46064212

6Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 12:39 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

That was one of the last one of his I read...I believe it was published shortly after his death. It was a new series he was working on......The Mars series was especially entertaining and of course the real Tarzan.

7Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 12:52 am

catfriedlegs

I haven't read any of his stuff. I'm just a collector of vintage paperbacks and other books. Love the old covers. I should check it out. Already have a pile to read.

8Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 1:10 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Burroughs was an inspiration to me. He may have done a lot more to make me who I am than even I know. The heroes in his books were honorable and very resourceful. I like to think of myself like that. I love adventure and I like to be in some of the scariest places you can think of by myself. I seldom have a campfire because I don't like ruining my night vision. I like the way my senses increase in sensitivity. I want to do the entire Wilderness Waterway in the everglades by myself starting the first of Novemeber. I was there for a few days last year and loved it and learned a lot about the place. This trip will take over two weeks and all you have is what you carry in..there is nothing until you get to Flamingo city.... VERY SCARY affraid

9Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 11:46 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Burroughs was an inspiration to me. He may have done a lot more to make me who I am than even I know. The heroes in his books were honorable and very resourceful. I like to think of myself like that. I love adventure and I like to be in some of the scariest places you can think of by myself. I seldom have a campfire because I don't like ruining my night vision. I like the way my senses increase in sensitivity. I want to do the entire Wilderness Waterway in the everglades by myself starting the first of Novemeber. I was there for a few days last year and loved it and learned a lot about the place. This trip will take over two weeks and all you have is what you carry in..there is nothing until you get to Flamingo city.... VERY SCARY affraid

Teo are you a Bear Grylls fan?

10Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 12:15 pm

It is also very dangerous to be in the wilderness by yourself. I watched that movie about that guy that went into the wilderness by himself and accidently ate a poisonous berry and became paralyzed and died of starvation because he couldn't get any help. It's not good sense, in my opinion, to take risks like that unless you have death wish.He should of at least had some way to contact help.

11Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 12:26 pm

skankymoranky wrote:It is also very dangerous to be in the wilderness by yourself. I watched that movie about that guy that went into the wilderness by himself and accidently ate a poisonous berry and became paralyzed and died of starvation because he couldn't get any help. It's not good sense, in my opinion, to take risks like that unless you have death wish.He should of at least had some way to contact help.

I saw that movie. what was the name of that? very sad

I have a book shelf filled with books in my room. Half of it is filled with fiction books my gf and daughter read and the other half filled with educational books that are mine. I am looking at it now and realize what a bore I am Suspect

12Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 12:55 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Chrissy8 wrote:
skankymoranky wrote:It is also very dangerous to be in the wilderness by yourself. I watched that movie about that guy that went into the wilderness by himself and accidently ate a poisonous berry and became paralyzed and died of starvation because he couldn't get any help. It's not good sense, in my opinion, to take risks like that unless you have death wish.He should of at least had some way to contact help.

I have a book shelf filled with books in my room. Half of it is filled with fiction books my gf and daughter read and the other half filled with educational books that are mine. I am looking at it now and realize what a bore I am Suspect

The movie in discussion was into the wild. Yes I like Bear he's a totally crazy dude...the things he eats would gag a maggot. I was in a chatroom with him a while back and asked him what boots he wore....I don't even remember now they were some exotic brand. I don't have a death wish I just like being alone in the natural world. People always want to bring their living room and kitchen with them....just silly. Mad

13Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 2:29 pm

catfriedlegs

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:

The movie in discussion was into the wild. Yes I like Bear he's a totally crazy dude...the things he eats would gag a maggot. I was in a chatroom with him a while back and asked him what boots he wore....I don't even remember now they were some exotic brand. I don't have a death wish I just like being alone in the natural world. People always want to bring their living room and kitchen with them....just silly. Mad

I don't need a living room or kitchen with me if I were to go camping. Just my bed. I'm no ground sleeper.

14Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 2:33 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I did improve my sleeping comfort a while back..the old bones thanked me for it. I bought a self inflating mattress that expands to almost an inch and a half. It's shaped like Draculas coffin though and I think about that everytime I use it..LOL. Sleep http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OPGS3S/ref=asc_df_B001OPGS3S1214528?smid=A1DVTBR2NQ2Q9F&tag=pgmp-1461-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001OPGS3S

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 8/15/2010, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

15Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 2:39 pm

catfriedlegs

I need a bed - can't sleep on hard ground. Broke several bones few years ago and they are unhappy bones as it is. Must have tea in morning. Must have a place to take a clean shower.
And I don't want to squat on the ground to go to the bathroom.
So I'm not a camper. But it sounds like fun, in all seriousness. I'd do it if I could camp and had survival skills and wasn't afraid to do it alone.

16Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/15/2010, 2:51 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Azadeh wrote:I need a bed - can't sleep on hard ground. Broke several bones few years ago and they are unhappy bones as it is. Must have tea in morning. Must have a place to take a clean shower.
And I don't want to squat on the ground to go to the bathroom.
So I'm not a camper. But it sounds like fun, in all seriousness. I'd do it if I could camp and had survival skills and wasn't afraid to do it alone.

Well I have a shower I carry also..it's a black rubber bladder that gets heated by the sun and and it has a nozzle like a shower to spray yourself with. I also carry a toilet seat with legs.. I never was much of a squatter myself....That's why I canoe rather than hike by myself...I can carry some comforts....I don't need them but they do add to the overall pleasantness of the experience. Camping isn't what I would call fun...going to the movies is fun...this to me is more of a waking up experience. It always takes me a while to get in the mode but I feel so fantastic after I finish it is worth a lot to me.
Nice chatting with you...enjoy the book when you find time to read it. It is a bit childish and idealistic but as a boy I loved it.

17Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/16/2010, 10:04 pm

I know this isnt about books, im going off topic Razz

Ive always wanted to go canoeing overnight. I have the whole thing planned out in my head. its kind of like a bucket list thing for me. Just a weekend trip. small tent. blow up doll to lay on. a small grid to cook on. a small cooler with a couple of T-bone steaks, some red bell peppers. box of sausages for breakfast. and a bottle of captain morgan rum.

yep thats it. plus a fishing pole.

18Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/17/2010, 12:40 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My last trip to the Everglades I got sick at about 9 pm and paddled 5 hours in the moon light to get out...it was beautiful ...it was like a miracle. I hit the channel off of every bay in the dark..something I had not been able to do in broad daylight....I was followed by gators...probably because I was chumming the water as I went...When I reached the final channel to the National forestry park where I put in I was exhausted....I waited in the bay and then made myself go on because I was getting weaker and my muscles were cramping....so I paddled into the channel just as the tide reversed and it virtually carried me the rest of the way in....it was so peaceful.

Make sure you are near a lake where you can take a little trip out in the moon and just sit and relax....look at the stars and just be.

19Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/17/2010, 6:38 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:My last trip to the Everglades I got sick at about 9 pm and paddled 5 hours in the moon light to get out...it was beautiful ...it was like a miracle. I hit the channel off of every bay in the dark..something I had not been able to do in broad daylight....I was followed by gators...probably because I was chumming the water as I went...When I reached the final channel to the National forestry park where I put in I was exhausted....I waited in the bay and then made myself go on because I was getting weaker and my muscles were cramping....so I paddled into the channel just as the tide reversed and it virtually carried me the rest of the way in....it was so peaceful.

Make sure you are near a lake where you can take a little trip out in the moon and just sit and relax....look at the stars and just be.

I remeber you telling that. how scary. many people would have died. glad you didnt. maybe someone was looking out for you.

I'll keep your idea in mind. The only place I know is black water, would you recomend that river for my trip? I dont have a lot of time off of work.

20Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/17/2010, 10:10 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Chrissy8 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:My last trip to the Everglades I got sick at about 9 pm and paddled 5 hours in the moon light to get out...it was beautiful ...it was like a miracle. I hit the channel off of every bay in the dark..something I had not been able to do in broad daylight....I was followed by gators...probably because I was chumming the water as I went...When I reached the final channel to the National forestry park where I put in I was exhausted....I waited in the bay and then made myself go on because I was getting weaker and my muscles were cramping....so I paddled into the channel just as the tide reversed and it virtually carried me the rest of the way in....it was so peaceful.

I remeber you telling that. how scary. many people would have died. glad you didnt. maybe someone was looking out for you.

I'll keep your idea in mind. The only place I know is black water, would you recomend that river for my trip? I dont have a lot of time off of work.

I just finished the 36 mile Blackwater run a couple weeks ago. They have an overnite put in, which you can easily do in a weekend. I don't recommend a woman do it alone. I only saw one other boat the first 20 miles. Blackwater canoes in Harold will treat you good and pick you and your canoe up when you're done. There are a lot less stumps and tangles on the overnite route. Don't take too much gear. Travel lite but comfortable.

21Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/17/2010, 9:19 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:

I just finished the 36 mile Blackwater run a couple weeks ago. They have an overnite put in, which you can easily do in a weekend. I don't recommend a woman do it alone. I only saw one other boat the first 20 miles. Blackwater canoes in Harold will treat you good and pick you and your canoe up when you're done. There are a lot less stumps and tangles on the overnite route. Don't take too much gear. Travel lite but comfortable.

I need someone to go with me then. volunteers?

22Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/17/2010, 9:35 pm

catfriedlegs

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:

How much does it cost for canoes in Harold? Can you bring guns? I haven't been canoeing since I was 19.

23Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/19/2010, 3:57 pm

Depending on the week-end it's scheduled, my husband and I would love to go.

That's sort of how we met. A group to which we both belonged was hosting an overnight canoe trip on the Blackwater, and we both signed up. We were talking about this just the other night! As it turned out, he signed up because I did, and vice versa (we hadn't really "met" yet.)

The trip never materialized, due to Ivan. No matter - I hired my yet-to-be husband to do the work on my devastated house, and the rest is history. cheers

24Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/19/2010, 6:15 pm

catfriedlegs

If I can bring my gun, a tub of Crisco oil and some ordinary household bleach, I'm game.

25Favorite fiction book Empty Re: Favorite fiction book 8/20/2010, 9:53 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Azadeh wrote:If I can bring my gun, a tub of Crisco oil and some ordinary household bleach, I'm game.

I brought my gun. actually two. The law was recently changed to allow guns into national forest land. I have never shot at anytime at anything. I carry it for a snake surprise but I have had none yet.

The longest 36 mile blackwater trip is 80 dollars for two people total. That includes a canoe. I recommend a plastic canoe because it will flex over the many stumps you will hit. I would volunteer to go along but I am antisocial.
Sad

It takes about 3 days but you could easily do it in 2.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum