Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Save these critters

+2
2seaoat
talknstang
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Save these critters - Page 2 Empty Re: Save these critters 3/21/2013, 8:27 am

talknstang

Dreamsglore wrote:My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

decaying human flesh, eh? what kind of operation do you have going on in your yard? perhaps a morgue with an all you can eat buffet? lol

now if i see a critter eating rotten human flesh, i would say to myself........thats one hungry critter, let him chow down on some people meat. Hell, we eat them like they are going out of style til extinction anyway....so what if they get a chance to splurge on your decaying human flesh as you say, lmao Chow down critter. I am starvin

27Save these critters - Page 2 Empty Re: Save these critters 3/21/2013, 8:31 am

talknstang

BirdyBack wrote:
talknstang wrote:They very rarely contract rabies as well due to their lower core body temp not being condusive for the disease. Thanks
I miss you Lil-bear
I am sorry you lost your pet, but I would never consider keeping a possum as a pet. They are not a rabies risk but according to my vet, they are the worst wild animals to carry fleas. They also carry a host of other diseases.

"Opossum carry diseases such as leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, trichomoniasis, and Chagas disease. They may also be infested with fleas, ticks, mites, and lice. Opossum are hosts for cat and dog fleas, especially in urban environments."

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74123.html

damn, you are right....and just about every single one of those you mentioned, people can carry as well. They can be taken care of just like a cat and are so docile. They eat, and they sleep, thats what they live for. In the wild, they do what any other wild animal does. I havnt found another one yet, but by far the best pet i have ever had!

28Save these critters - Page 2 Empty Re: Save these critters 3/21/2013, 10:28 am

talknstang

Dreamsglore wrote:
2seaoat wrote:My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

Gee thanks for that visual.....the possum eating decaying flesh.....the possum crossing the road being chased by your dog.....only to killed by your dog......and then your dog giving you a big friendly lick.....yep, when the CSI folks find DNA from the decedent all over you......your going to tell em my dog ate the possum, who ate the decaying flesh.........

Some things are better not visualized.

My dog does not go in the road. She kills possums in the yard that made a huge mistake. She is a doberman and they were actually breed to kill possums so I read. When they find dead bodies in the woods w/ animal activity what do you think ate them? Possums.

dobermans bred to kill possums? nonsense i tell you.....thats like saying my shotgun was bred to kill dobermans, lol

29Save these critters - Page 2 Empty Re: Save these critters 3/21/2013, 6:59 pm

Stang, if it makes you feel better I had a unusual pet as a child too. I had a raccoon named Charlie.

possums are cute when little and Ive seen people take all kinds of creatures as babies and raise them to be very gentle and tame.

not sure why anyone would give grief over your loss of a pet.

30Save these critters - Page 2 Empty Re: Save these critters 3/21/2013, 11:49 pm

talknstang

you guys and gals have some really good critter stories....i really appreciate hearing them. My possum was attached to my hip for 4 years....she was like my kid and she was an inside possum. I would take her outside to go the bathroom and when she was done, she would always just walk right back in the house and go to her room.....it was so funny. They have built in GPS like a champ. They also purrrrr like cats but they dont stink like cats (litterbox). They also dont shed much at all and are very soft. I had a little santa clause hat i would put on mine during the holidays....it was so cute! They are the only marsupial in north america with the females having a pouch. I used to hide stuff in her pouch...it was so funny to see her try to get it out. Unfortunately, they have a relatively short lifespan in the wild, but can live for several years longer in captivity if cared for properly. My Lil-bear was 4.5 yrs old, but she would have died much sooner from a serious uteral infection. She had to have an emergency surgery, but she pulled through that. I miss her so much. If anyone comes across one, please let me know....ive already informed my vets....its that time of the year.....my email is talknstang@yahoo.com........thanks again for those awesome stories

31Save these critters - Page 2 Empty Re: Save these critters 3/23/2013, 5:50 pm

talknstang wrote:you guys and gals have some really good critter stories....i really appreciate hearing them. My possum was attached to my hip for 4 years....she was like my kid and she was an inside possum. I would take her outside to go the bathroom and when she was done, she would always just walk right back in the house and go to her room.....it was so funny. They have built in GPS like a champ. They also purrrrr like cats but they dont stink like cats (litterbox). They also dont shed much at all and are very soft. I had a little santa clause hat i would put on mine during the holidays....it was so cute! They are the only marsupial in north america with the females having a pouch. I used to hide stuff in her pouch...it was so funny to see her try to get it out. Unfortunately, they have a relatively short lifespan in the wild, but can live for several years longer in captivity if cared for properly. My Lil-bear was 4.5 yrs old, but she would have died much sooner from a serious uteral infection. She had to have an emergency surgery, but she pulled through that. I miss her so much. If anyone comes across one, please let me know....ive already informed my vets....its that time of the year.....my email is talknstang@yahoo.com........thanks again for those awesome stories

It's a good thing you didn't pass away in your house when she was there. She would have ate you.

32Save these critters - Page 2 Empty Re: Save these critters 3/23/2013, 7:25 pm

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Talkin,

I am really sorry for your loss. Regardless of the species we do become attached to our critters and mourn their loss.

I found a "pack" of cottontails years ago who's mother had been killed....so of course, I took them home. My Sister in law worked for animal rescue and I asked her how to raise them.

Well, she told me they wouldn't live as they were so young but gave me the evaporated milk/rice cereal formula. I fed those little buggers every 2 hours night and day. It was good training as I was pregnant at the time. Smile

Those little guys all lived to be turned again out to the wild and it still brings smiles to my face thinking about them hopping off.

I hope you'll find another love soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum