Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Save these critters

+2
2seaoat
talknstang
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Save these critters Empty Save these critters 3/9/2013, 7:37 am

talknstang

About 4 years ago i came across the cutest lil opossum in my backyard. I had reservations at first about keeping her for a pet, but once I saw its little face, it was an easy decision to make. Well after 4 wonderful years with her, she passed away a few weeks ago. She was like my kid and just an utter delight. No matter what, she would always bring a smile to my face. Needless to say, it has been devastating. She slept in her little bed next to me every night and it feels so weird not having her around. These marsupials are so timid and gentle much to peoples disbelief. They only growl and hiss because that is what they do to protect themselves and when that doesnt work, they play "possum". They have their place in our eco-system and belong here just as much as we do. Not only that, but the Virginia Opossum has recently been found to contain the Lethal Toxic Neutrality Factor (LTNF) protein that makes them immune to all poisons including ricin. This protein is being researched to develop one vaccine for any type of poisonous snakebite. So if you see one crossing the road, dont make a speed bump out of it. It could be a female carrying babies ...it is that time of year...and if you do find a deceased female, check for orphans.....wrap them up in a warm blanket and get ahold of myself or any wildlife refuge facility. After having one as a beautiful pet, i have a new found respect for mother nature. These animals are simply awesome and if you have kids, they will love them if handled properly. They very rarely contract rabies as well due to their lower core body temp not being condusive for the disease. Thanks
I miss you Lil-bear

2Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/9/2013, 11:02 am

removed

3Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/9/2013, 12:10 pm

talknstang

Mr X wrote:removed

whats that? lol

4Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/11/2013, 10:00 pm

My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

5Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/11/2013, 10:12 pm

2seaoat

My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

Gee thanks for that visual.....the possum eating decaying flesh.....the possum crossing the road being chased by your dog.....only to killed by your dog......and then your dog giving you a big friendly lick.....yep, when the CSI folks find DNA from the decedent all over you......your going to tell em my dog ate the possum, who ate the decaying flesh.........

Some things are better not visualized.

6Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/12/2013, 5:07 am

2seaoat wrote:My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

Gee thanks for that visual.....the possum eating decaying flesh.....the possum crossing the road being chased by your dog.....only to killed by your dog......and then your dog giving you a big friendly lick.....yep, when the CSI folks find DNA from the decedent all over you......your going to tell em my dog ate the possum, who ate the decaying flesh.........

what i want to know is right after she says her dog kills them all the time she says they eat decaying human flesh. now how in the hell does she know that? now thats creepy.... now im really wondering where Teo is now. What a Face

7Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/12/2013, 8:27 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

Dreamsglore wrote:My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

Surely you are not a teacher, what an ignorant post

8Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/12/2013, 9:35 pm

I used to have a big black Labrador. One morning he just would not shut up. I got up to see what was the matter. A opossum had crawled up a small tree then out on to a small limb. The limb would not hold him so he was hanging upside down, nose to nose with my dog. It was a stand off. My dog could not jump hight enough to get him and the possum could not retreat. As they looked at each other the sweat would roll off the possums nose and hit my dog on the nose. LOL It really pissed him off. I put the dog up, got the possum in a sack and took him the bayou and let him go.. All was good.

9Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/12/2013, 10:04 pm

once in pcola a little baby possum got lost from his mommy. guess he fell off. My kids found him near the wash room. he was so cute. little pink nose. I go thim up and put him in a box. He was so darn cute. we took him to the animal shelter whre they took care of him. we gave a donation.

cute little thing though

10Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/12/2013, 11:33 pm

surfnrg wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

What does being a teacher have to do w/ not liking possums? I don't like them.They are ugly and eat humans and you can kiss my ass.

11Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/12/2013, 11:38 pm

2seaoat wrote:My dog kills possums all the time. They're quite ugly creatures that creep me out. They eat decaying human flesh.

My dog does not go in the road. She kills possums in the yard that made a huge mistake. She is a doberman and they were actually breed to kill possums so I read. When they find dead bodies in the woods w/ animal activity what do you think ate them? Possums.

12Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/12/2013, 11:39 pm

Chrissy wrote:

what i want to know is right after she says her dog kills them all the time she says they eat decaying human flesh. now how in the hell does she know that? now thats creepy.... now im really wondering where Teo is now. What a Face

The chipper is full.

13Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/15/2013, 8:13 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

I didn't realize they could be made pets, but had one who would come every night to my door for an egg. Same time every night and completely enjoyed the ritual.

They're kinda like some of the dogs I've had.......so ugly they're cute!

Sorry you lost yours. Sad

14Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/15/2013, 6:33 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I've had plenty of possums hanging around (pun?), but I never considered them dangerous...raccoons as well...now they can get aggressive but are usually scared of humans. This year I had a raccoon that was trying to eat my cat's food (did I mention the feral cat I acquired?...). I swear that raccoon looked like a cartoon when I happened to show up on the back porch unexpectedly. Now, about that cat. My friend who lives on the far side of GB came by...said he heard meowing but couldn't tell where it was coming from...the cat rode to my house somewhere in his truck. Now it lives in my shed and I feed it every day, but it's scared of me. It didn't help that the neighbor's cat, which played with mine, got run over. No wonder the poor thing's a scaredy cat. It will sit and let me talk to it (don't even know whether it's boy or girl), but always out of reach. I could try to catch it, but that would probably only get me scratched and further traumatize the animal. It was nothing but a furball when it arrived; now is almost full grown. We'll see...meanwhile, we know who's the sucker here.

15Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/15/2013, 8:56 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

Dreamsglore wrote:
surfnrg wrote:

What does being a teacher have to do w/ not liking possums? I don't like them.They are ugly and eat humans and you can kiss my ass.

All gods creatures great and small i am pretty sure they would consider you hideous. When you place yourself in judgement of our relations you play god.

If you are a teacher that is sad for our children

16Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/15/2013, 9:10 pm

surfnrg wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
surfnrg wrote:

All gods creatures great and small i am pretty sure they would consider you hideous. When you place yourself in judgement of our relations you play god.

I agree surf. I cant beleive such a hateful person such as hers is in contact with disabled children. It angers me acutually.

I dont ever see her say anything nice, ever.

17Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/15/2013, 9:20 pm

surfnrg wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
surfnrg wrote:

Oh shut up! It has nothing to do w/ being a teacher which I am not. I don't believe in God so your comment has no relevance to me. I bet you say that about chickens or cows when you eat them.

18Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/15/2013, 9:30 pm

Chrissy wrote:
surfnrg wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
surfnrg wrote:

I agree surf. I cant beleive such a hateful person such as hers is in contact with disabled children. It angers me acutually.

I dont ever see her say anything nice, ever.

I don't think people like you who have the mental and alcohol problems you have should raise children either. Let's not even mention the filthy things you say. Judging someone for their dog killing possums is a far cry from what you bring to the table when talking about children.

19Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/16/2013, 12:29 pm

did yall know that george jones nic name is possum?

Cool

20Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/16/2013, 3:29 pm

Chrissy wrote:did yall know that george jones nic name is possum?

Cool

He was a drunk too. HMMM.

21Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/16/2013, 4:02 pm

George Jones is a hall of famer. One of the most famous country singers of ALL time.

It must suck to be you, always searching to point out others little flaws in order to make yourself feel better about your own flaws and insignificance. Sad

22Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/16/2013, 5:06 pm

Chrissy wrote:George Jones is a hall of famer. One of the most famous country singers of ALL time.

It must suck to be you, always searching to point out others little flaws in order to make yourself feel better about your own flaws and insignificance. Sad

He was a drunk and still is. No wonder you admire him.

23Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/16/2013, 5:23 pm

Dreamsglore wrote:
Chrissy wrote:George Jones is a hall of famer. One of the most famous country singers of ALL time.

He was a drunk and still is. No wonder you admire him.

I like his music. I could care less what he did on his time.

Im not a shallow bigot nit picker like you.

See, you calling me a drunk doesnt bother me dreams. You are a pissant to me.

I wonder what kind of any music do you like?

is there a soul in your wretched old body that enjoys anything at all?

enjoy..

24Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/17/2013, 12:47 am

talknstang wrote:They very rarely contract rabies as well due to their lower core body temp not being condusive for the disease. Thanks
I miss you Lil-bear
I am sorry you lost your pet, but I would never consider keeping a possum as a pet. They are not a rabies risk but according to my vet, they are the worst wild animals to carry fleas. They also carry a host of other diseases.

"Opossum carry diseases such as leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, trichomoniasis, and Chagas disease. They may also be infested with fleas, ticks, mites, and lice. Opossum are hosts for cat and dog fleas, especially in urban environments."

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74123.html

25Save these critters Empty Re: Save these critters 3/17/2013, 1:19 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

We see opossums frequently in our neighborhood. They come to eat out of the bowls of cat-food that are put out for the stray cats who live around here (my wife feeds two of them). Once, the garage door was left open, and the wife found a baby opossum in our washing machine.

Years ago, my Dad told me a story about opossums that got established in his neighborhood in the city of La Palma, CA, in highly-developed Orange County. Opossums are not native to CA. Dad and his neighbors had terrible problems with garden snails, another introduced species, which ate-up just about anything planted in their yards. When the opossums showed up, the snail-problem suddenly disappeared. It appears that they found a ready and plentiful food source, and ate to their hearts delight. Dad said he could see the opossum family walking along the fence lines as they made their way around the neighborhood.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum