Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

YMCA on the Bay

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1YMCA on the Bay Empty YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 8:56 am

Damn!!! Someone says NO to Studer?

Charles Bare City Councilman
The YMCA does not belong on one of the most valuable remaining parcels that the city owns on the waterfront.

While I greatly appreciate Mr. Quint Studer’s offer of $5 million to construct one-third to one-half of the facility, I cannot overlook the revenue we will be passing up if the new YMCA is built on that location.

The YMCA will generate no property tax. A similar for-profit building would generate between $97,000 and $150,000 of property tax revenue per year (funding a cash-strapped Community Redevelopment Agency created to address blight that will hover near bankruptcy in 2017). In addition, unlike a for-profit gymnasium, members of the YMCA do not pay sales tax on memberships. Sales tax is a critical part of our city revenue.

Proponents argue that there are no other businesses looking to build on the site, but there has never been a real effort to market any of the parcels on the Community Maritime Park. Even the mayor can understand that vacant land doesn’t sell itself.

One of the biggest challenges is the issue of parking. There simply isn’t enough available parking on the property. With the construction of Mr. Studer’s new building, the parking situation will be even more limited. The current parking lot is designated temporary and may also be developed. Twenty percent of the YMCA members are senior citizens. So where are they going to park?

There has also been talk about expanding the YMCA’s programs to include water sports. While the creation of kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding programs sounds inviting, the location is far from ideal. The water near the maritime park is not a swimmer’s paradise. The amount of debris, including creosote poles and rip-rap (loosely deposited stones and rock) in the water would make boating and standup paddleboarding hazardous. Sadly water sports may be the only area available for expansion as the existing property does not provide much room for fields or other outdoor activities. Other locations, such as the site of the old Blount Junior High School would grant such opportunities.
There is much talk about a marina, and a group has even stepped up to seek grants to complete the marina on the west side of the park. This would likely be a day marina that encourages people to visit but not stay overnight. These people will want something to do and I don’t believe the YMCA will meet that need.

As a citizen and city councilman, I am also concerned about the job situation in Pensacola. My preference would be to see something that creates new jobs at the Maritime Park. The movement of an existing facility to the park property will have a minimal impact on job creation.

The YMCA has existed in Pensacola for more than 50 years. I appreciate the contributions it has made to our community. I support the concept of constructing a new YMCA that will encourage families to be more healthy. However, there are many parcels available in downtown Pensacola. We don’t need to sacrifice one of our most valuable parcels for a short-term gain in lease fees.

The citizens deserve a better use of that property. They need something that will generate revenue and will be an economic engine for our area. The YMCA is not the engine we need. We must create a strategy to market the existing parcels and give the citizens the park that we promised.

We cannot allow this project to plunge us further into debt.

2YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 9:00 am

Hello Kitty...yet another sock...?

I'm not in favor of this project and Quint is a friend.

3YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 11:14 am

Margin Call

Margin Call

Charles is very quickly losing some of his most important supporters.

4YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 11:34 am

2seaoat

Gosh, I guess one loss running for mayor was not enough.....pick an issue which will capitalize on the anti Studer anytime....anything group, and you are well on your way to political office.......not. The simple truth is the location is great. That economic activity and amenities at this beautiful park are not going to be limited by one small parcel being utilized by the Y. Old Stinky will be critical, and that will involve some residential units which will be attracted by the beautiful park and proximity to the Y.

There will always be people who stopped their wagons on some bare soil because they were afraid of the risks to proceed......but America was built by the brave.....those willing to take risks and working for a better America. Pensacola has hit a home run with Maritime Park.

5YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 3:07 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Gosh, I guess one loss running for mayor was not enough.....pick an issue which will capitalize on the anti Studer anytime....anything group, and you are well on your way to political office.......not. The simple truth is the location is great. That economic activity and amenities at this beautiful park are not going to be limited by one small parcel being utilized by the Y. Old Stinky will be critical, and that will involve some residential units which will be attracted by the beautiful park and proximity to the Y.

There will always be people who stopped their wagons on some bare soil because they were afraid of the risks to proceed......but America was built by the brave.....those willing to take risks and working for a better America. Pensacola has hit a home run with Maritime Park.

Have you lost your mind? Where is the parking? What happens when a hurricane comes along? And Mr. Bare has a valid point. Where are the property taxes? And where is the parking?

I received my propaganda in the mail...testimonials to the wondrous things that will happen to Pensacola and the Y if they relocate...maybe it's the millions dangling in front of them that blinds them and keeps them from considering a different site or a different plan. Just as it did before we allowed the site to become just another ballfield, the marketing was the same...naysayers don't want "progress"...HAH...naysayers didn't want to foot the bill, wanted a PARK, wanted public amenities From what I have seen since, much of the process has far more than a taint of corruption...e.g., the bait & switch on the focus of the development and the ultimate final...and highest & best...use of the property. The whole scandal with the CONTRACTOR, for God's sake....

and did I mention the parking?

6YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 3:20 pm

2seaoat

and did I mention the parking?

Lol.....and exactly how has parking been a problem? It has not caused a problem with the record attendance at the ballpark......nope. I know you have never developed or been involved in any project by your simplistic response. Parking is not now, nor will it be in the future a problem.....but then again you have probably never been to the great baseball venues in history.....parking.......LOL..........60 acres of vacant land and we have a parking problem.......maybe you should go into a dark room and listen to Joanie Mitchell tell you that you do not pave paradise for another parking lot. There are plenty of logical and cost effective parking solutions when the usage at the park demands the same.........but turn the lights off and listen to a little blue..........we got zero problems except in your mind.

7YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 4:11 pm

2seaoat wrote:and did I mention the parking?

Lol.....and exactly how has parking been a problem? It has not caused a problem with the record attendance at the ballpark......nope. I know you have never developed or been involved in any project by your simplistic response. Parking is not now, nor will it be in the future a problem.....but then again you have probably never been to the great baseball venues in history.....parking.......LOL..........60 acres of vacant land and we have a parking problem.......maybe you should go into a dark room and listen to Joanie Mitchell tell you that you do not pave paradise for another parking lot. There are plenty of logical and cost effective parking solutions when the usage at the park demands the same.........but turn the lights off and listen to a little blue..........we got zero problems except in your mind.

Big Yellow Taxi.....Counting Crows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvtJPs8IDgU

Last edited by Bill on 3/3/2013, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

8YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 4:17 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:and did I mention the parking?

Yes, oh, arrogant one...I have been involved in MULTIPLE projects, from townhomes to single family dwellings to international architecture. I have sat in boardrooms and executive suites and I have also worked on-site, doing quality control and supervising final punchout...also listed and sold property.

I can't believe your hubris...we've had problems with this boondoggle from the beginning...from the questionable CRA funding to the income shortfalls...FROM THE BEGINNING...the existing parking is already designated and will be taken up by Quint's employees when he builds his building. Where, again, oh where, will the YMCA membership park? Should we just go ahead now and avoid the rush by paving 'ol Stinky? And would that even solve the problem, because some of the Y membership is elderly and a large number have some type of disability.

9YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 4:58 pm

2seaoat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM

Tex is getting her dander up.....but she is still clueless. They will build parking when there is a need. If you really have developed property, you understand that there are parking requirements for every new permit based on use........Oh my God.....60 vacant acres.......and it is beyond your perception where parking can be placed.......oh, and the YMCA wherever it goes will not be paying property taxes.....if it goes to the park, it will be paying a lease payment.....so exactly where are your math skills.......zero remains zero, and a lease payment is a lease payment......and you bet there is arrogance involved....it happens when you are so consistently right about something and all the naysayers have been so consistently wrong. You will see a parking structure when the demand requires the same.....duh......

Hubris......lol......excessive....hardly.....not when put in context. If anything.....reserved......incredibly reserved. Playing candyland with my granddaughter would be more challenging.

10YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 5:35 pm

2seaoat

Heck,
Even Hallmark gave up the argument. He finally realized like BP that they were wrong, and they left. Skip did the same thing from the git go.......I simply do not understand what is so difficult about realizing what a great park Maritime Park has become......it is beautiful and it will serving the public for 50 years into the future.......and the Public owns the waterfront.......a total and complete home run.........now tex.....do not put your tail between your legs and run away.......this forum would get boring. It takes courage to discuss things on this forum without getting angry and leaving........so come try to take a bite out of my arrogant aszzz.......you will fail.....but heck this sandbox is fun.

11YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 6:11 pm

2seaoat wrote:Heck,
Even Hallmark gave up the argument. He finally realized like BP that they were wrong, and they left. Skip did the same thing from the git go.......I simply do not understand what is so difficult about realizing what a great park Maritime Park has become......it is beautiful and it will serving the public for 50 years into the future.......and the Public owns the waterfront.......a total and complete home run.........now tex.....do not put your tail between your legs and run away.......this forum would get boring. It takes courage to discuss things on this forum without getting angry and leaving........so come try to take a bite out of my arrogant aszzz.......you will fail.....but heck this sandbox is fun.

Even if someone does take bite of your arrogant ass, you are so arrogant that you would never admit it. To admit that you are wrong on an issue seems to be beneath you.

FITW, I agree with FT, the CMP has been a boondoggle from the very beginning and continues to be so.

12YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 6:14 pm

2seaoat

Even if someone does take bite of your arrogant ass, you are so arrogant that you would never admit it. To admit that you are wrong on an issue seems to be beneath you.

and to think you of all people would understand what I am doing......I want my bud Hallmark back.....I miss him......and I am probably the only one who can get his silly asz back here.........we had fun being arrogant.....and you my friend should know better.

13YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 6:23 pm

2seaoat wrote:Even if someone does take bite of your arrogant ass, you are so arrogant that you would never admit it. To admit that you are wrong on an issue seems to be beneath you.

and to think you of all people would understand what I am doing......I want my bud Hallmark back.....I miss him......and I am probably the only one who can get his silly asz back here.........we had fun being arrogant.....and you my friend should know better.

I have never thought of Hallmark as arrogant. He is now posting consistently at http://pensacoladaily.forumotion.com/. You should come join him over there. You input would be very welcome.

14YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 6:27 pm

NaNook

NaNook

So much for seperation of Church and State. Why allow a Christian organization to build on Public Land? I thought Liberals hated religion?

Another reminder of the local intellectual elite. It's about religion unless we can make money.

Some of you need to make-up your minds, period.

15YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 6:32 pm

NaNook wrote:So much for seperation of Church and State. Why allow a Christian organization to build on Public Land? I thought Liberals hated religion?

Another reminder of the local intellectual elite. It's about religion unless we can make money.

Jesus walked away from them when they started charging folk to swim in their cement pond.

16YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 6:32 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

NaNook wrote:So much for seperation of Church and State. Why allow a Christian organization to build on Public Land? I thought Liberals hated religion?

You don't have to be a Christian to use the Y.

17YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 6:36 pm

Christian in name only.

18YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 7:31 pm

NaNook

NaNook

Bill wrote:

Jesus walked away from them when they started charging folk to swim in their cement pond.

Bill,

Why not build a tri-semester abortion clinic on the property? The doctors can deliver the kids and hang them around the outfield before throwing their bodies into the bay. Obama has supported this legislation. It's his record, public record. He, Obama, supported taking live-birth 3rd semester abortion failures and holding their tiny feet in one hand and slinging the infant against the wall to kill it. It's public record. Can anyone argue with it?

I don't need any spin, I need the Truth. Where is it???

Did I mention, live birth 3rd semester abortion failures, after being slammed against a wall, were thrown into the trash? Look at the HHS sec., look at her supporters. The Number One #1 Doctor killing live birth kids was her #1 donor......go figure.

Prove me wrong with REAL proof, not, hear-say from BS sources. I told you, it's a matter of public record, who are you going to believe?

19YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 7:38 pm

NaNook wrote:
Bill wrote:

Bill,

Why not build a tri-semester abortion clinic on the property? The doctors can deliver the kids and hang them around the outfield before throwing their bodies into the bay. Obama has supported this legislation. It's his record, public record. He, Obama, supported taking live-birth 3rd semester abortion failures and holding their tiny feet in one hand and slinging the infant against the wall to kill it. It's public record. Can anyone argue with it?

Did I mention, live birth 3rd semester abortion failures, after being slammed against a wall, were thrown into the trash? Look at the HHS sec., look at her supporters. The Number One #1 Doctor killing live birth kids was her #1 donor......go figure.

Prove me wrong with REAL proof, not, hear-say from BS sources. I told you, it's a matter of public record, who are you going to believe?

Talk about chutzpah...oy veh already.

Aren't you the open minded pro-racist pseudo x-tion...?

I promise I will never get an abortion at a YMCA.

20YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 7:44 pm

NaNook

NaNook

Bill wrote:
NaNook wrote:
Bill wrote:

Bill,

I don't know if you are open-minded or not? When you get your head out of your ass, let me know about the view.

Calling me a racist is like calling your Mother a whore for having you.

21YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 7:53 pm

NaNook wrote:
Bill wrote:
NaNook wrote:
Bill wrote:

Bill,

I don't know if you are open-minded or not? When you get your head out of your ass, let me know about the view.

Calling me a racist is like calling your Mother a whore for having you.

Word comprehension problems...?

I distinctly remember you defending racism, and I have no idea why you think you turned a non-sequiter attacking my Mother into a comparative analysis.

You literally suck, metaphorically speaking.

22YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 8:02 pm

2seaoat wrote:Heck,

I came back to tell tell you what a dumb ignorant jackass you are. Why the hell do you skirt around the issues Oats? "parking" will be a major issue but somehow you think that will work its self out on its own. Nope. Where are the Y members going to park when games are being played?

Also, what kind of idiot leaves his Bobcat skidsteer in a flood pan area?

Lol.

23YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 8:05 pm

A three story cement parking garage across the rest of the waterfront would be a nice touch.

24YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 8:12 pm

PkrBum wrote:A three story cement parking garage across the rest of the waterfront would be a nice touch.

That's a bit cynical for someone who doesn't even live here. LOL.

I oppose the Y because it's a members only club....period.

Whatever the MENSA's in charge decide to do, it should be open to the public.

25YMCA on the Bay Empty Re: YMCA on the Bay 3/3/2013, 8:14 pm

Bill wrote:
PkrBum wrote:A three story cement parking garage across the rest of the waterfront would be a nice touch.

That's a bit cynical for someone who doesn't even live here. LOL.

I oppose the Y because it's a members only club....period.

Whatever the MENSA's in charge decide to do, it should be open to the public.

AND Oats doesnt live in Pensacola either. Hell, he doesnt attend any Wahoo games either lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum