Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LOL YMCA Cancels Ball game

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1LOL  YMCA Cancels Ball game  Empty LOL YMCA Cancels Ball game 3/21/2013, 11:03 pm

The YMCA’s executive committee on Thursday unanimously recommended dropping the ambitious effort to construct a new $10 million facility along the waterfront at the Community Maritime Park.

The decision follows more than a week of acrimony within Pensacola’s city bureaucracy that Maritime Y supporters had hoped to pass through swiftly, buoyed by strong vocal and financial support from civic and business leaders and elected officials.

"In the past month the Y has tried to navigate the process of negotiating a sublease for a parcel on the Community Maritime Park. Based on two city council meetings, one CMPA Audit and Operations meeting, two CMPA meetings and multiple meetings with city administration, it’s clear to us that the process is broken, if one exists at all,” said Steve Williams, the YMCA board chairman, in a statement.

A final decision won’t be made until the Y’s full board of directors meeting Monday.

The announcement came after the Community Maritime Park Association board’s 6-4 decision during a confusing and contentious five-hour meeting Wednesday to ask the Y to consider two other parcels at the park, neither of which front Pensacola Bay.

The waterfront parcel west of the stadium that Y advocates had been pursuing, known as parcel 8, was deliberately left out of the CMPA’s motion.

The City Council had already endorsed, in concept, placing the Y on parcel 8, putting the two bodies at odds and thrusting the issue into uncertain territory.

“We would like to thank the City Council for their vote of support, but we are saddened that the CMPA failed to follow their directive, and that our city government as a whole is unable to establish a workable negotiation process,” Williams said.

The extent to which CMPA’s vote represented an outright rejection of the YMCA’s plans is a matter of some debate.

But it sparked controversy, and by Thursday morning it was clear that Y members were frustrated with the process and considering dropping their bid.

Page

Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:19 PM
To: Ashton Hayward
Subject: RE: YMCA Lease

Mr. Mayor:

I strongly encourage you to go back and watch the video of the committee of the whole meeting during which Councilwoman Pratt made her motion and explained that “the CMPA can redline the whole thing out and start afresh if that’s what they need to do.” I believe that the CMPA acted accordingly as our agent and as the lease holder for the property at the maritime park. I respect their decision and look forward to their report back to us once a workable lease for parcels 5 or 6 is reached.

If this process had followed the proper procedure, the CMPA acting as our agent (and not the Mayor’s office) would have brought us a lease. You are directly responsible for the failure of this process. I look forward to working with the CMPA to identify a proper procedure to avoid such embarrassing situations like this in the future.

Charles Bare
Pensacola City Council, At-Large B

2LOL  YMCA Cancels Ball game  Empty Re: LOL YMCA Cancels Ball game 3/21/2013, 11:23 pm

Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:07 PM
To: City Council
Subject: YMCA Lease

Ladies and Gentlemen of the City Council,

Last night, the CMPA voted to disregard your vote recommending the YMCA lease be approved in concept for Parcel 8 at the Community Maritime Park. As your agent, it is important that the CMPA take direction from you, their client. I encourage the Council to take whatever action is necessary to reaffirm your prior decision on the YMCA lease and move the project forward without delay.

Ashton J. Hayward III
Mayor, City of Pensacola

Very little precious space left at the park. Really the whole park is to small to cram every lil thing Stupider wants.

I'm sure if Oats had been at these meetings barking his pro park mentality, they'd of surely approve the Y idea.

Whew. Lucky us.

CG, any idea how that yogurt place in the stadium is doing? Last time I dropped by the park (non game day) there was NOBODY buying yogurt.
Did the other retail spot (in stadium) get rented out yet?

Isnt it just odd that no biz wants to build anything at the maritime park. Stupider has to wave a big ole $ flag just to get someone interested? Come on now. I'd like Stupider better if he could draw in some higher paying jobs, rather than part time stadium jobs paying minimum wages.

Really be nice if Stupider bought the old ECUA property and gave it to the Y. Bigger location, parking problem solved. Win win for Y members.

2seaoat

I have said all along the Y belongs over the western retention area with an elevated building and still access to the waterfront. All over this country folks are building over retention areas, and this would bring it closer to Main Street and utilize space which had not been allocated.....a win/win proposition which allows wonderful access for maritime activities for the Y. If you saw my earlier posts, I wanted the Y over the retention pond, which currently requires about a 15 foot FEMA flood line, so it is perfect for the elevation.

There are many reasons astute businessmen do not build on Wharf's and other places that are only assailable from one side. Had Mr Stooder and friends conducted a feasibility study this would have been obvious.
I watched the entire 4 hour meeting of the CMPA. At one point Mr Stooders spokesman whines about how expensive it is to build at the CMPA citing Piling issues, wind load requirements Etc. Duh!!!
We now have a white elephant. No parking, no access, too expense to build, No plans, no one seems to be in control of the destiny of the park.
There is a very strong possibly that Stooders facade is showing hair line cracks. Mr Reeves seems not to be a Studerite.
The YMCA was a vote against the strong arm tactics of Mr Quint Studer.
No one should be shocked that this is quickly turning into a F'ed up mess.
It was obvious.

2seaoat

I really cannot stress how perfect the current retention area would be for an elevated YMCA. First, they could get a lower lease fee because it was never calculated as an additional building site, but because of the FEMA building line requirements, it will have to be elevated and the area below the building can still be used for retention like it is all over the country. This also decreases the walk to the parking structure. I personally would never like anything built on 8 and as Eric used to say the wide open space is very functional for other types of activities. You could still get the same number of building locations and lease revenue, but you could also put some kid's soccer fields adjacent to the waterfront and keep it open. I like the idea of the Y in the Park, but I think this could be a home run, and I do not find this discussion entirely inappropriate. I think reasonable people will find a solution, and I certainly would like to see the area over the retention pond at a reduced lease fee made available and some nominal rental rate for soccer fields.......not too close to the water.....soccer balls are expensive.

2seaoat

You could also do a joint venture with the city which involves putting a multi story parking garage over the retention and engineer the loads so that the top two stories of the structure could house the Y. There are plenty of innovative ideas which could be very cost effective which involve allocation of the cost of the parking structure into future leases for the other parcels. There is not enough creative thinking going on. Mr. Studer could have fronted the first five million for the parking structure which allowed an inexpensive two story precast structure for the Y with great view on top of the sixth or seventh floor overlooking the bay with elevators and loads of parking for all uses at the park and old stinky. I drive right into Biloxi to a parking structure at the Beau Rivage which has exceptional views of the water, and again this retention area could give the Y a lease free location if they shared some of the cost of the garage and elevators because again the other lots would have an up front lease cost built into the parking structure. Folks are so busy attacking Studer, that they are forgetting there are many strategies which could actually be a win/ win solution.

In the Original plans there was not going to be a "Retention Pond" It was to be a grassy area with the drainage underneath it, I thought it looked like a "French drain" structure. That had to be "Value" engineered out because Studer upgraded from the Pelican to the Wahoos and the stadium had to be bigger.. The money had to come form some where. I think they said they "saved" 500,000 dollars. If that had happened it would have created more green space and people might not be as pissed about what is happening to rest of the park. Bur remember Studer is the man behind the scenes on all this. He is dividing the city, bit by bit. Rest assured, that is his goal.

2seaoat

I could see this retractable roof and walls on an olympic size pool facing the bay, which could be open during warm weather with huge patios over looking the bay with a large outdoor workout area. This simply could be world class and entirely affordable with some cooperative thought. My criticism of the Y process has not been thinking of future economy of scale use of the park. If you nail a parking deck now and incorporate it over the current retention areas you get a virtual freebee on the lease payments and can design a huge parking garage and a spectacular YMCA.

Using this same concept you could put a hotel on top of the Y and simple create a business Condo type of ownership of the space over the retention, of course within the scope of the leasehold.

So you put 6 floor parking garage, a two story YMCA which opens up to the bay with wrap around patios and convertible olympic size pool on the 7th and 8th floor, and then put four more floors of a hotel which would share the pool, parking, and Y facilities as part of the nightly fee. Where is the creativity. Instead of people pointing fingers, how about mutual solutions without always blaming studer.

10LOL  YMCA Cancels Ball game  Empty Re: LOL YMCA Cancels Ball game 3/22/2013, 5:48 pm

2seaoat

He is dividing the city, bit by bit. Rest assured, that is his goal.

I do not think so. I think there are such hard feelings that there cannot be brainstorming for win/win solutions without some always blaming studer. I have done projects where they involved multi entities and the results have been spectacular. The economy of scale of a parking structure being talked about now which incorporates the Y and a hotel with Mr. Studer putting his five million down first, and the city floating bonds on the balance with the Y and Hotel paying smaller lease fees than using one of the existing lots, and incorporating the balance of parking spaces allocated to each lot which would be built into the bond to allow a five year window for development would finally make this park very marketable, and it would be a win win solution. There is no reason for this key large are to lay fallow while a lot 8 build out right now would be very expensive for the Y and maybe not the best location. I argued when this issue first came out that the retention area is simply not being recognized as a building site. Yes with a large parking structure, future building sites would also have to carve out additional retention under their elevated building locations, but the cost of elevation is easily off set by the certain risk of destruction in a hurricane without the same. Win/win

11LOL  YMCA Cancels Ball game  Empty Re: LOL YMCA Cancels Ball game 3/22/2013, 6:31 pm

Studers new 57,000sq building office building is going right next to the pond. No way in hell will he have the view from Main st blocked by a parking garage.. Brian Spencer has already alluded to the curve of the building matching the curve in the road. The parking garage will go when the Old Water front Rescue mission used to be. I also believe there is a 3 or 4 story high limit of the buildings in Stooderville.

The fun is just beginning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum