Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aircraft carrier at maritime park?

+5
TEOTWAWKI
Nekochan
2seaoat
gulfbeachbandit
no stress
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

The CMPA doesn't even have enough money to even clear the debris from the water around Stooderville. They address the issue in one of their meeting. Remember they had to reduced the depth of the water in so called marina area to six feet. It might not even be able to come in the pass. Did not they have to cancel some Navy deal because the Pass was not deep enough? I think the Forrestal draws about 40 feet of water.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I believe that it would cost tens of millions just to dredge.

I wonder if the Nuclear reactor issues has been taken care of? I bet it hasnt.

Nimitz-class carriers were designed to have a 50-year service life.[81] At the end of the service life, ships will be decommissioned. This process will first take place on Nimitz and is estimated to cost from $750 to $900 million. This compares with an estimate of $53 million for a conventionally powered carrier. Most of the difference in cost is attributed to the deactivation of the nuclear power plants and safe removal of radioactive material and other contaminated equipment.[

Nekochan

Nekochan

I don't think the Forrestal was nuclear powered?

I stand corrected You are right. It was steam turbine powered See what happens when Army people post about Navy stuff. Sorry

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:

I agree with Eric that the East side would be the spot, but you can bet there are going to be some neighbors who will not be happy on the East side.

I dunno. The only "neighbor" over there is that tourist trap seafood joint. And it would probably love to be as close as it can get to the people boarding the carrier.

2seaoat

I dunno. The only "neighbor" over there is that tourist trap seafood joint. And it would probably love to be as close as it can get to the people boarding the carrier.

Bob....is it not correct you visited the "West" coast recently.......the Crab trap is on the "west" side of the park......not the east.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I dunno. The only "neighbor" over there is that tourist trap seafood joint. And it would probably love to be as close as it can get to the people boarding the carrier.

Bob....is it not correct you visited the "West" coast recently.......the Crab trap is on the "west" side of the park......not the east.

LOL
Actually it's really an amazing coincidence I got east and west confused with this too. Because if I'm lyin Im dyin when I tell you this. When I was getting on and off the freeways in CA I had exactly the same problem, I kept getting the east and west confused when I was going on the entrance ramps.
The last week is the very first time I've been having brainfarts about east and west. I sure hope that's not a sign of the onset of something like dementia. And if it is please don't even let me know cause it's too scary.

But now that you've straightened out the east and west sides of the property for me, I think it should go on the WEST side (which shouldn't be objectionable to anyone). Of course I imagine they would have to do extensive dredging to get it close to that side of the thing. BUT it's my understanding that they will have to do the same dredging on the south or the east side too so that part is a wash.

The main consideration is about Eric being so right about this. Please bring in the carrier but please don't make it be a chinese wall which blocks off the view to the south. The one thing that I like about that place is how it gives us all that view we didn't have when it was the Trillium property. For gods sake don't be indian givers and take that view away from us again.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just googled and the ship is 1122 feet long. Since they would probably not want to have to dredge very close to the shoreline on the west side, in order to place it there they would probably have to make it stick out into the bay on the other end. I'm willing to bet you they would never consider that placement as an option and instead would only moor it on the south end of the park. So my guess is IF it does go to the Maritime Park IT WILL be placed to destroy the view. I'm guessing that view don't mean squat to those who will make that decision. They will be far more interested in other considerations than losing that view. Like getting people to walk through the whole park complex to get to the carrier. They will be seeing dollar signs knowing they can fill the place with money making tourist trap stuff people will have to walk by on the way.

Nekochan

Nekochan

But....the view from the deck of the ship would be incredible!

Really, I wouldn't worry too much about it because it's not going to happen. Unless hundreds of millions of dollars start falling from the sky.

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

The USS Midway (CV 41) Museum is in downtown San Diego. It is doing very well. Along with the tours that are offered, there is a restaurant and The hold events on her flight deck. I think they recently had a college basketball game on the flight deck. It's nice to see my old ship still has her "Magic".

Be a good person and just buy a YMCA membership. You think Studer is going to let this any were near his ball park?.. Just another Pipe dream to jack withthe minds of the locals. BTW I think it is 75 feet from the water line to the flight deck. LOL This is Stooderville, he knows what is best for us. Just remained seated and have some kool aid. all is good. Trust me.
Aircraft carrier at maritime park? - Page 3 Bluetrail-topperAircraft carrier at maritime park? - Page 3 On-pforr18

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:But....the view from the deck of the ship would be incredible!

Sure it would. For those who pay the fee to go aboard the ship. But me and yella and hallmark (and our numbers are growing) like having that view without having to pay a fee to board a ship every time we go down there. That view is the main reason we like to visit the place.

But after giving this more thought, I may be willing to give up the view for one reason. I'm convinced that without some kind of hook to bring people down there, that maritime park is going to turn into an economic white elephant. And that matters to me because I live in the city and it will be me and the other city taxpayers who end up holding the bag when it does.
So if the only way to make that park economically viable is to destroy the view, then I would probably opt for that over having to absorb the loss when that thing can't pay it's own bills.

Of course you could go down the road a bit to Sanders beach and get all the "view " you want. Lets all walk or bike one day next week.

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 1/25/2013, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sanders Beach is still the best place to enjoy being on the bay.
I've lived here for 57 years and until a year ago I never gave Sanders Beach a second thought. All it was to me was the place where Fireman's Hall was located when we all went to that in high school. And back then I never even walked down to the beach.
But about a year ago yella turned me on to what a great place it is to experience the bayfront and now I'm hooked.

Dont tell Quint or he will have to improve it for us. LOL

Aircraft carrier at maritime park? - Page 3 477226_333240043400052_1226638378_o

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I dunno. The only "neighbor" over there is that tourist trap seafood joint. And it would probably love to be as close as it can get to the people boarding the carrier.

LOL
Actually it's really an amazing coincidence I got east and west confused with this too. Because if I'm lyin Im dyin when I tell you this. When I was getting on and off the freeways in CA I had exactly the same problem, I kept getting the east and west confused when I was going on the entrance ramps.
The last week is the very first time I've been having brainfarts about east and west. I sure hope that's not a sign of the onset of something like dementia. And if it is please don't even let me know cause it's too scary.

But now that you've straightened out the east and west sides of the property for me, I think it should go on the WEST side (which shouldn't be objectionable to anyone). Of course I imagine they would have to do extensive dredging to get it close to that side of the thing. BUT it's my understanding that they will have to do the same dredging on the south or the east side too so that part is a wash.

The main consideration is about Eric being so right about this. Please bring in the carrier but please don't make it be a chinese wall which blocks off the view to the south. The one thing that I like about that place is how it gives us all that view we didn't have when it was the Trillium property. For gods sake don't be indian givers and take that view away from us again.

This on getting east and west mixed up.

A fellow goes into his local veterinarian and says “Dr. — I've got a world famous champion horse, but I can't get the birds to stop nesting in his mane — what should I do?”

The veterinarian says, “Very simple — pick up a box of yeast on your way home, sprinkle it in your horses mane, and the birds will go away.”

The horse owner does as he's told, buys a box of yeast on the way home, sprinkles it in his horse's mane, and instantly all the birds fly away never to return!

The horse owner is ecstatic, rushes back to the veterinarian, and says, “It's a miracle Dr. — your recommendation worked after every other treatment I could think of had failed but tell me, what is the rationale for this strange treatment?”

The veterinarian says, “Very simple — yeast is yeast and nest is nest, and never the mane shall tweet.”

Apologies to Rudyard Kipling

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:Dont tell Quint or he will have to improve it for us. LOL

Otid Redding and Steve Cropper said it pretty darn well. But they just needed a little editing...

Sittin' in the mornin' sun
I'll be sittin' when the evenin' come
Watching the ships roll in
And then I watch 'em roll away again, yeah

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time. Wastin time.

I left my home in East Hill (not Georgia)
Headed for the Pensacola (not Frisco) bay
'Cause I've had nothing to live for
And look like nothin's gonna come my way

So I'm just gonna sit on the dock of the bay
Ooo, I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

Look like nothing's gonna change
Everything still remains the same
I can't do what ten people tell me to do
So I guess I'll remain the same, yes

Sittin' here resting my bones
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's three (not two thousand) miles I roamed
Just to make this dock my home

Now, I'm just gonna sit at the dock of the bay
Oooo-wee, sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

lol

p.s. Redding died in a plane crash only THREE DAYS after he recorded the song.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:
Bob wrote:

LOL

This on getting east and west mixed up.

A fellow goes into his local veterinarian and says “Dr. — I've got a world famous champion horse, but I can't get the birds to stop nesting in his mane — what should I do?”

The veterinarian says, “Very simple — pick up a box of yeast on your way home, sprinkle it in your horses mane, and the birds will go away.”

The horse owner does as he's told, buys a box of yeast on the way home, sprinkles it in his horse's mane, and instantly all the birds fly away never to return!

The horse owner is ecstatic, rushes back to the veterinarian, and says, “It's a miracle Dr. — your recommendation worked after every other treatment I could think of had failed but tell me, what is the rationale for this strange treatment?”

The veterinarian says, “Very simple — yeast is yeast and nest is nest, and never the mane shall tweet.”

Apologies to Rudyard Kipling

hahahahaha. love it.

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:Dont tell Quint or he will have to improve it for us. LOL

Ahhh. . .one of my favorite spots to mediate.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yea and at one time you actually got to make Sanders Beach your address with about a block long walk to that scene, you lucky stiff.
If I wasn't so old and such a hoarder and could actually face making another move, I would probably choose that little neighborhood over about anywhere else around here.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I gotta say this. I loved everything about visiting the "frisco bay" as Otis called it, but on the return trip when I got off that plane I realized how much I don't want to live anywhere else but here.
I realize this place has it's detractors and some will think it foolish for me to say that. But for me it's the god's honest truth. There aint no place like home.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But back to the topic (sorry about getting off of it)...

hallmarkgrad wrote: You think Studer is going to let this any were near his ball park?..
I think Studer would be willing to jump through flaming hoops to put this thing beside his ball park. Same goes for Collier Merrill and the rest of that bunch.
What makes you think that's not the case?

no stress

no stress

This is interesting

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ticket prices to visit the USS Midway in San Diego...

http://www.midway.org/hours-tickets

But you can get an annual pass for sixty bucks ($50 for seniors).

Last edited by Bob on 1/25/2013, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum