Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to build a Community

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 8:37 pm

W_T_M wrote:
Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Well the only power the people really have when the government and corporations are in bed together is the power of the purse....we shouldn't buy their crap...of course they have made that almost impossible by wiping out all their competition through EPA and other government intervention...

But it's that consumerism for mass produced corporate product which is now the foundation of our entire economy. If we pursue a policy to abandon our support for that, it's going to produce one whole helluva lot of personal suffering.

See, that's why I said I have no solution. This thing is not as simple and easy as the public dialogue (either from national celebrities or bloggers like ourselves) pretends it to be.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<

But if you order those Beck jeans and join hair club for men your entire world view world change. Sure you'll spend $165.00 for those jeans, but you'll be putting it to the man, whoever he is.

The hair club thing was superfluous....a mere distraction to confuse you while you're deciding to order those jeans.

And some gold while you're at it. Couple of coins to put in the pocket of those jeans.

Call now....all others may call later.

LOL... My great aunt in New Zealand bought everyone in our family a pair of those jeans. I haven't gotten them yet... and didn't know they cost that much. Whoa... I think there are about 50 of us on that side.

27How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 8:48 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's a coincidence that we've moved to jeans. I finished up the garage sales on 98 in Gulf Breeze, Saturday. On the way back towards town I spotted a Waterfront Mission Bargain Store not far from Walmart (didn't even know they had one over there).
Inside that store I found THE most comfortable, best fitting jeans I have ever worn in my life. And they're in perfect little worn condition. And not only that but whoever donated them had donated two pair of the same jeans.
It made my whole morning.

28How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:09 pm

Bob wrote:It's a coincidence that we've moved to jeans. I finished up the garage sales on 98 in Gulf Breeze, Saturday. On the way back towards town I spotted a Waterfront Mission Bargain Store not far from Walmart (didn't even know they had one over there).
Inside that store I found THE most comfortable, best fitting jeans I have ever worn in my life. And they're in perfect little worn condition. And not only that but whoever donated them had donated two pair of the same jeans.
It made my whole morning.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Do you feel like they represent trophies from your hunt...?

29How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:26 pm

Sorry Bob 501 Levis Straight leg Button Fly $1.25 Thrift store on Gulf beach Highway. Sorry I forgot the name. LOL Almost brand new.[img]How to build a Community - Page 2 10iaslj[/img]

30How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:30 pm

2seaoat

Bob,
Did you find my trillion dollar coin in those jeans.....I thought it slipped out in the Lazy Boy, but my jeans were missing and I am afraid the wife gave away my jeans with a trillion dollar coin.

31How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:33 pm

2seaoat wrote:Bob,
Did you find my trillion dollar coin in those jeans.....I thought it slipped out in the Lazy Boy, but my jeans were missing and I am afraid the wife gave away my jeans with a trillion dollar coin.

It was in the jeans I bought.(see photo) I gave it to the new Library. They said Thanks

32How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:34 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

To both WTM and hallmark,

To answer your question, WTM, you couldn't have put it better. Yes, it's a trophy for me. Just like that $50 washer I bought at the garage sale about a half hour earlier (which I needed after my washer blew up). That was also a very good item for a very good price.

But about those $1.98 jeans, hallmark. I paid $5.99 for the ones I bought which is really high for a thrift store. And that's not just here, I did thrift stores in St. Pete a couple weeks ago and that $5.99 is high everywhere.
My yard sale partner was surprised that I paid that much because he gets all the pants he wants at yard sales for two or three bucks (like you did).
So I happily transfer the trophy to you. lol

p.s. I would never pay that much either if these jeans were not the best feel I've ever worn.

33How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:37 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And I have to mention this too. I got a clothes washer in my Prius with no effort. It will go up in the car with nothing hanging over the back (although the hatchback lid was not closed). I was amazed it could do this.

34How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:40 pm

Bob wrote:To both WTM and hallmark,

To answer your question, WTM, you couldn't have put it better. Yes, it's a trophy for me. Just like that $50 washer I bought at the garage sale about a half hour earlier (which I needed after my washer blew up). That was also a very good item for a very good price.

But about those $1.98 jeans, hallmark. I paid $5.99 for the ones I bought which is really high for a thrift store. And that's not just here, I did thrift stores in St. Pete a couple weeks ago and that $5.99 is high everywhere.
My yard sale partner was surprised that I paid that much because he gets all the pants he wants at yard sales for two or three bucks (like you did).

p.s. I would never pay that much either if these jeans were not the best feel I've ever worn.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Before you cop to the trophy thing, be sure you read my signature....LOL

35How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:41 pm

I'd be glad to make you another for the one time low price of 500,000,000.00...

for a limited time only... only one per customer... available only in blue states... no returns... void where prohibited.

36How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:42 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sadly, of all my many years of buying previously owned (I sound like Ted Ciano) clothing, I have never found anything of value in any item of clothing.
I have twice found paper money lying on the ground at yard sales though.
Not long ago I found a twenty and two ones at a sale in Pine Glades (near the 12th Ave bridge).
The beautiful thing about finding $22 on the ground is on many Saturdays that much pays the tab for everything I buy that day. lol

37How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:43 pm

2seaoat

It was in the jeans I bought.(see photo) I gave it to the new Library. They said Thanks

Great they will need it.....but I figure they will be pretty easy to get in the next few years.

And I have to mention this too. I got a clothes washer in my Prius with no effort. It will go up in the car with nothing hanging over the back (although the hatchback lid was not closed). I was amazed it could do this.

The car is amazing. I have started hauling 2x4s and other construction stuff, just like I did with my SUVs.....no towing capability though.

38How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:43 pm

W_T_M wrote:
Bob wrote:To both WTM and hallmark,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Before you cop to the trophy thing, be sure you read my signature....LOL

Lol... He's slow. I saw it right off. It's mainly a football commercial I guess.

39How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 9:49 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Local garage sailing is many things but one of them definitely is competition.
There are cadre of hard core garage sailors out there to sail better than any of the others. To go where no yardsailor has gone before (in the words of Capt Kirk).
My partner and I don't even do the north end anymore (above 9 mile) because "Dangerous Dan" has just got that territory locked. He's a flea market dealer who is one of the most aggresive yard sale buyers I have ever encountered. He's fast and thorough and can cover as much ground in the shortest amount of time as any of us out here. The key to yard sailing is how many yard sales you can hit in primetime (from 6AM to 8AM) before the bargains are mostly gone.
Whenever we try to compete with Dangerous Dan we invariably end up behind him AFTER he's already visited the sale.

40How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:02 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:no towing capability though.
If you google it you'll discover that many people are doing it successfully with small utility trailers and such.
But it's best done after the warranty expires because I feel certain Toyota doesn't want a dealer to honor the warranty on one with a trailer hitch attached. Although I imagine most dealers probably don't give a shit about that rule and just want to get the warranty job.

41How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:03 pm

Bob wrote:Local garage sailing is many things but one of them definitely is competition.
There are cadre of hard core garage sailors out there to sail better than any of the others. To go where no yardsailor has gone before (in the words of Capt Kirk).
My partner and I don't even do the north end anymore (above 9 mile) because "Dangerous Dan" has just got that territory locked. He's a flea market dealer who is one of the most aggresive yard sale buyers I have ever encountered. He's fast and thorough and can cover as much ground in the shortest amount of time as any of us out here. The key to yard sailing is how many yard sales you can hit in primetime (from 6AM to 8AM) before the bargains are mostly gone.
Whenever we try to compete with Dangerous Dan we invariably end up behind him AFTER he's already visited the sale.

>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I am in awe at the feat of the master. And I totally love the usage of sailing terms.

If I was to have a yard sailor nickname, I think I would like Dollah Bill...

Yeah...that's the ticket.

42How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:05 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

W_T_M wrote:
Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Well the only power the people really have when the government and corporations are in bed together is the power of the purse....we shouldn't buy their crap...of course they have made that almost impossible by wiping out all their competition through EPA and other government intervention...

But it's that consumerism for mass produced corporate product which is now the foundation of our entire economy. If we pursue a policy to abandon our support for that, it's going to produce one whole helluva lot of personal suffering.

See, that's why I said I have no solution. This thing is not as simple and easy as the public dialogue (either from national celebrities or bloggers like ourselves) pretends it to be.

But if you order those Beck jeans and join hair club for men your entire world view world change. Sure you'll spend $165.00 for those jeans, but you'll be putting it to the man, whoever he is.

The hair club thing was superfluous....a mere distraction to confuse you while you're deciding to order those jeans.

And some gold while you're at it. Couple of coins to put in the pocket of those jeans.

That's right...and now that I'm old enough, I'm going to take Henry Winkler's advice and get one of those reverse mortgage things...smartest thing I'll ever do...on second thought, I think I'll go with Tommy Thompson or Robert Wagner. Then I think I'll try Lunesta or maybe Cymbalta. I don't know what they're for, but, hey, I'll try anything...maybe some term life insurance or that burial policy that covers both "death benefits" and "life expenses"...and, yes, in that order. And I also need some surgical enhancements (not those).

And I recently obtained 3 pair of Levis absolutely free.

43How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:07 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

W_T_M wrote:
I am in awe at the feat of the master. And I totally love the usage of sailing terms.

If I was to have a yard sailor nickname, I think I would like Dollah Bill...

Yeah...that's the ticket.

Here's the best tip I can give you, Dollah Bill, and it also visits the nonmenclature.
My partner Ken calls them "wildcatters". Wildcatters are unadvertised sales.
Always concentrate on the unadvertised sales because four decades of experience has taught me your odds are better at those. They can only be found accidentally so that limits the number of people who are finding them.
Every one of those hard core pros out there has the advertised sales listed and mapped out and knows about all of them. But even they have to get lucky to find the unadvertised sales.

44How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:08 pm

2seaoat

You want to have some fun with Dangerous Dan.....on the garage sale list for Saturday morning visit Friday night and see if you can talk some owners into allowing you to put some of your stuff in the sale with a sold sign, at a unbelievable price with your name on the tags. Get them there Friday night and explain you are torturing a competitor.......way too much fun with him trying to offer more money and the homeowner honoring his prior deal......it is especially important if you could put stuff out that Dangerous Dan really appreciates.......new found respect as you invade his territory.

45How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:12 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
W_T_M wrote:
Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

That's right...and now that I'm old enough, I'm going to take Henry Winkler's advice and get one of those reverse mortgage things...smartest thing I'll ever do...on second thought, I think I'll go with Tommy Thompson or Robert Wagner. Then I think I'll try Lunesta or maybe Cymbalta. I don't know what they're for, but, hey, I'll try anything...maybe some term life insurance or that burial policy that covers both "death benefits" and "life expenses"...and, yes, in that order. And I also need some surgical enhancements (not those).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

BRB. There's a duck at the door with a bill full of cash.

I sure needed that cash. I'm down to my last unused re-usable catheter, but my contacts should be here soon.

46How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:13 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Also you will encounter a maddening problem we're all experiencing which has resulted from the technology advance.
Craigslist has virtually replaced the newspaper classifieds for getting lists of yard sales.
BUT (and this is a big "but"), Craigslist is free to the advertiser. And when somebody can run an ad for free, he is much more likely to wake up in the morning and turn to his wife and say "honey I don't feel like doing that yard sale bullshit this morning so let's just sleep in". And when that happens he's wasting my time and wasting the time of everybody else who is trying to maximize the use of primetime.

47How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:17 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
W_T_M wrote:
Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

If you think it's a good idea that obama does it... You should too. wth... the next generation isn't our concern.

right?

48How to build a Community - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build a Community 1/13/2013, 10:59 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:You want to have some fun with Dangerous Dan.....on the garage sale list for Saturday morning visit Friday night and see if you can talk some owners into allowing you to put some of your stuff in the sale with a sold sign, at a unbelievable price with your name on the tags. Get them there Friday night and explain you are torturing a competitor.......way too much fun with him trying to offer more money and the homeowner honoring his prior deal......it is especially important if you could put stuff out that Dangerous Dan really appreciates.......new found respect as you invade his territory.
hahaha. I almost missed this. I'm gonna suggest this to my sailing partner, he'll get a kick out of it. lol

But the only way to contact a yard seller is to go to the house (since they rarely ever have a phone number in the ad). And I've done that before the day of the sale when there's a listed item in the ad that I'm eat up to get first shot at.
But most yard sellers don't like people showing up before the day of the sale and usually it just pisses them off making it harder to negotiate a price.
My stock routine is to tell them I've got to be out of town on sale day so I had no choice but try to contact them early. But if they don't go along with it then I'm really in a pickle. Because then I have to try to be there early on sale day and explain why I aint out of town. In other words it's a lie that keeps on lying. And you know what they say about that. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum