Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Green Failure

3 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/29/2012, 7:28 pm

Yella wrote:I realize I post a lot of nonsense just for the sheer hell of it and I also post things that I am into with all my heart and soul. Often people don't know which is which. But I feel certain that the Corporate Businesses that produce and sell fossil fuels energy do not want to see any successes with green energy and also feel certain that they will do whatever they can to destroy this competition. If I was the CEO of EXXON-MOBIL I could easily wipe out Solyndra and never be found to be responsible for it.

You are right that many of the producers and distributors of fossils don't want renewables to succeed, but several have invested heavily in renewables. BP is the most notable example I can think of. While they are not a producer, as much as I rag on them for many of their practices GE has made several killings on production of gas turbines, but they are fully invested in renewables. There is actually quite a bit of cross-over these days, but I can think of several that would be quite happy if we shriveled up and blew away, as the case may be. Wink

That being said, I think it's important for us to have a balanced energy portfolio and not go nuts and focus on any one source of energy.

27Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/29/2012, 7:55 pm

Yella

Yella

riceme wrote:
Yella wrote:I realize I post a lot of nonsense just for the sheer hell of it and I also post things that I am into with all my heart and soul. Often people don't know which is which. But I feel certain that the Corporate Businesses that produce and sell fossil fuels energy do not want to see any successes with green energy and also feel certain that they will do whatever they can to destroy this competition. If I was the CEO of EXXON-MOBIL I could easily wipe out Solyndra and never be found to be responsible for it.

You are right that many of the producers and distributors of fossils don't want renewables to succeed, but several have invested heavily in renewables. BP is the most notable example I can think of. While they are not a producer, as much as I rag on them for many of their practices GE has made several killings on production of gas turbines, but they are fully invested in renewables. There is actually quite a bit of cross-over these days, but I can think of several that would be quite happy if we shriveled up and blew away, as the case may be. Wink

That being said, I think it's important for us to have a balanced energy portfolio and not go nuts and focus on any one source of energy.

The Corporate Monsters, I like to call them that, might invest in green energy but there is probably no where near the profit in green as there is oil and coal, but that is only my uneducated view.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

28Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/29/2012, 8:11 pm

Yella wrote:
The Corporate Monsters, I like to call them that, might invest in green energy but there is probably no where near the profit in green as there is oil and coal, but that is only my uneducated view.

I can tell you for a fact that Wind was the most profitable sector in GE Energy for... seven or eight of the ten years I worked for them while they owned us, far above O&G, Steam, or anything else.

If Wind wasn't making money, GE would have sold it a long time ago. I promise you.

29Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/29/2012, 10:00 pm

Yella

Yella

riceme wrote:
Yella wrote:

I can tell you for a fact that Wind was the most profitable sector in GE Energy for... seven or eight of the ten years I worked for them while they owned us, far above O&G, Steam, or anything else.

If Wind wasn't making money, GE would have sold it a long time ago. I promise you.

That's encouraging, Rice, good to hear it.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

30Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/30/2012, 12:35 am

riceme wrote:Hey man, I'm here to help... I do what I can.

Laughing

Another Green Failure - Page 2 Is?gLedeDke5C4FSrqDQEiXTEso8ayewh6SSqs7TT1TKRQ

I have to admit that my shoes and socks could be sold as an alternate form of renewable energy some days...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDB-yswOrzc

Laughing

...Now if we could just figure out a way to harness it.

31Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/30/2012, 12:52 am

Damaged Eagle wrote:

Another Green Failure - Page 2 Is?gLedeDke5C4FSrqDQEiXTEso8ayewh6SSqs7TT1TKRQ

I have to admit that my shoes and socks could be sold as an alternate form of renewable energy some days...

Laughing

...Now if we could just figure out a way to harness it.

LOL... Only ones I have those problems with are my steel toed boots. When I have to wear them, it's for way too many hours a day, every day, for years at a time. I'm kind of glad to have a break from that right now, although I miss the work pretty badly.

32Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/30/2012, 9:37 am

riceme wrote:
Yella wrote:

While the initial investment may be high, if a wind turbine can then generate power for years past the investment cost the ROI is fantastic. The biggest problem with wind and solar is geographic footprint compared to nuclear or fossil power plant generation capability. I read an article some time ago about a developer who positioned a large wind turbine and constructed a small subdivision around it. The turbine provided the electrical needs for all of the houses. Perhaps these micro systems is the way to go - a little wind and a little solar powering smaller segments of an area.

33Another Green Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Green Failure 10/30/2012, 10:23 am

nochain wrote:
While the initial investment may be high, if a wind turbine can then generate power for years past the investment cost the ROI is fantastic. The biggest problem with wind and solar is geographic footprint compared to nuclear or fossil power plant generation capability. I read an article some time ago about a developer who positioned a large wind turbine and constructed a small subdivision around it. The turbine provided the electrical needs for all of the houses. Perhaps these micro systems is the way to go - a little wind and a little solar powering smaller segments of an area.

You are right on all counts. A very good friend of mine (in fact, he married my (now ex) husband and I) who is an ME in wind and has a Masters in Fracture Engineering wrote a paper about wind's inefficiency because of the output per the footprint it takes up in its lifecycle. THAT was before he started working, and fell in love with wind. And like you, he and I both feel very strongly that powering smaller segments with smaller systems is a stronger way to go. Furthermore, I think it's a great way to get individuals and small communities off the grid. My goal is to someday be off the grid.

There are several community colleges in the Midwest that are powered off of wind turbines. Pretty freakin' neat if you ask me.

And yes, regarding the ROI, even though it's called a "wind turbine" people never cease to forget that the FUEL IS THE WIND. And THAT shit is FREE. Aside from that, on an average turbine, you're looking at standard maintenance... Worst (most expensive) thing that can happen is a gearbox failure... $200k plus crane and labor. That's one of the reasons I get so hot when talking about Chinese manufacturing... I've been screwed by poorly made Chinese parts (and by extension, my customers have as well) so many times, I simply do not understand why people continue to buy them when they are proven failures. Spend the extra money up front and decrease your Cost of Quality by buying the finest American, German or Danish equipment you can buy... it'll improve the lifecycle of the turbine AND your reputation with your customers.

Y'all really shouldn't get me started talking about wind. This is what happens... I can rant for weeks about it. Oh right, I started this thread. Remind me not to do that anymore. Embarassed Tee hee!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum