Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dont kiss any turtles

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dont kiss any turtles Empty Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 2:41 pm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121012-turtles-urine-pee-mouth-science-animals-weird?source=sailthru

When a species of soft-shelled turtle in China piddles in puddles, it does so through its mouth—the first evidence of an animal doing so, a new study says.

The findings could also have stomach-churning implications for humans with kidney failure, scientists say.

Researchers at the National University of Singapore noticed Pelodiscus sinensis turtles would stick their heads into puddles of water and wiggle their tongues, but they weren't drinking.

Study leader Yuen K. Ip and colleagues also knew that the soft-shelled turtle had structures similar to gills inside its mouth, which had previously been thought to help the turtle breathe—but did not actually function as gills.

"However, I saw a controversy here," Ip said via e-mail. "If the turtle has lungs, why would it need to submerge its head in water [to breathe]?"

To find out, the researchers purchased live turtles from a local market and kept them in water for six days. Only 6 percent of the urea—the main ingredient in animal urine besides water—produced by the turtles ended up in the urine from their hind ends.

After the researchers removed the reptiles from the water but provided them with a puddle, the turtles dipped their heads and, using the water puddles as a mouth rinse, spat out 50 times more urea than was present in the mouth discharge. The urea travels through the reptiles' bloodstreams to their mouths, so it's not technically urination.

The team also found that the turtles carry a gene that produces a specialized protein that helps expel urea. The gene was expressed in their mouths, not their kidneys.

I see a medicine on the horizon here.

2Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 4:15 pm

Yella

Yella

Rogue wrote:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121012-turtles-urine-pee-mouth-science-animals-weird?source=sailthru

When a species of soft-shelled turtle in China piddles in puddles, it does so through its mouth—the first evidence of an animal doing so, a new study says.

The findings could also have stomach-churning implications for humans with kidney failure, scientists say.

Researchers at the National University of Singapore noticed Pelodiscus sinensis turtles would stick their heads into puddles of water and wiggle their tongues, but they weren't drinking.

Study leader Yuen K. Ip and colleagues also knew that the soft-shelled turtle had structures similar to gills inside its mouth, which had previously been thought to help the turtle breathe—but did not actually function as gills.

"However, I saw a controversy here," Ip said via e-mail. "If the turtle has lungs, why would it need to submerge its head in water [to breathe]?"

To find out, the researchers purchased live turtles from a local market and kept them in water for six days. Only 6 percent of the urea—the main ingredient in animal urine besides water—produced by the turtles ended up in the urine from their hind ends.

After the researchers removed the reptiles from the water but provided them with a puddle, the turtles dipped their heads and, using the water puddles as a mouth rinse, spat out 50 times more urea than was present in the mouth discharge. The urea travels through the reptiles' bloodstreams to their mouths, so it's not technically urination.

The team also found that the turtles carry a gene that produces a specialized protein that helps expel urea. The gene was expressed in their mouths, not their kidneys.

That is one of the goldangedest stories I have ever heard. I think those giant turtles in the Galapagos live for over a hundred years, I wonder if they do that? Do tou think any of them are Tortoiscrats or are they Tortoispublicans? I don't care. This poem is for you , chrissy.

Profiles of a woman

One is so methodical
Her things must all get done
Another is a hurricane
of reckless,crazy fun
One is so beautiful
She's lovely through and through
Another is a rough and tumble
Member of the crew

One is always seeking
Perfection in a man
Another wants to have him
Any way she can
One is such a miser
She keeps her self locked in
Another gives away her chance
So someone else can win

One is so beyond me
I'm lost before I start
Another holds me tightly
And is pouring out her heart
One is in the Cosmos
Where stars are bright and wild
Another is an innocent
And laughing little child

One is such a lady
Her fans demand encores
Another rushes past me
To open her own doors
One remains a puzzle
Enigmas are her fame
Another thinks that life
Is just a funny game

One walks upon a tightrope
Stretched taut between her walls
Another lives reclusively
Inside her sacred halls
One has walked away from me
Laughing as she goes
Another face i won't forget
Recalling past tableaus

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

3Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 4:49 pm

Yella wrote:
Rogue wrote:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121012-turtles-urine-pee-mouth-science-animals-weird?source=sailthru

That is one of the goldangedest stories I have ever heard. I think those giant turtles in the Galapagos live for over a hundred years, I wonder if they do that? Do tou think any of them are Tortoiscrats or are they Tortoispublicans? I don't care. This poem is for you , chrissy.

Profiles of a woman

One is so methodical
Her things must all get done
Another is a hurricane
of reckless,crazy fun
One is so beautiful
She's lovely through and through
Another is a rough and tumble
Member of the crew

One is always seeking
Perfection in a man
Another wants to have him
Any way she can
One is such a miser
She keeps her self locked in
Another gives away her chance
So someone else can win

One is so beyond me
I'm lost before I start
Another holds me tightly
And is pouring out her heart
One is in the Cosmos
Where stars are bright and wild
Another is an innocent
And laughing little child

One is such a lady
Her fans demand encores
Another rushes past me
To open her own doors
One remains a puzzle
Enigmas are her fame
Another thinks that life
Is just a funny game

One walks upon a tightrope
Stretched taut between her walls
Another lives reclusively
Inside her sacred halls
One has walked away from me
Laughing as she goes
Another face i won't forget
Recalling past tableaus

I dont know. But literally Id love to find out what makes thier blood stream carry it to thier mouths. This literally could be some sort of idea for certain kidney disease medicines.

and it was interesting as heck. I love NG.

Thats a darn good poem. It reminds me of all the different ladies here.

I gotta run. Have a good one you old hippie Razz I love you

4Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 6:08 pm

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Comes out BOTH ends?

Is that like ambidextrous? Laughing

5Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 6:59 pm

Yella

Yella

stormwatch89 wrote:Comes out BOTH ends?

Is that like ambidextrous? Laughing

Stormy, what is that thing on your dog's head, of course, it looks good, anything on a two hundred pound dog suits me, just wondering?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

6Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 7:10 pm

Rogue

What's up woman?

7Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 7:10 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Nice poem Yella thanks for sharing.....I waited all my life to be wise enough to finally understand women...The answer I arrived at is that I need another life.

8Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 8:58 pm

it's funny... i saw a turtle the other day and it's beginning to get a little cold up here. i wondered how well they did under ice and spent half the day reading about them... didn't come across this info tho... lol.

9Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 9:15 pm

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Rogue

What's up woman?

Bed

10Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 9:35 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Seriously, it has been known for quite some time that turtles carry salmonella. That's why you should always wash your hands after handling them or cleaning their habitats.

11Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 9:57 pm

Floridatexan wrote:Seriously, it has been known for quite some time that turtles carry salmonella. That's why you should always wash your hands after handling them or cleaning their habitats.

this isnt about salmonella. try reading the story geesh

12Dont kiss any turtles Empty Re: Dont kiss any turtles 10/15/2012, 11:38 pm

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Stormy, what is that thing on your dog's head, of course, it looks good, anything on a two hundred pound dog suits me, just wondering? [/quote]

Not really sure, Yella. Found it in the Halloween section, but she likes it and I'll be sure to tell her your kind sentiments. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum