Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Seaoat...Garcon point fire

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/3/2018, 7:00 pm

Hallmarkgard

Update on two wildfires in Santa Rosa County from the Florida Forest Service as of 4:39pm:

The Garcon Point 2 Fire is now 45% contained and estimated to be at least 100 acres. Crews are making progress on getting the fire contained and are working on burning out sections of forest in order to help secure it. An estimated 50 homes were threatened initially.

The Holding Pond Fire is 50 acres and roughly 75% contained.

Forecast rains should help the situation on both fires but the entire Blackwater area - Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties - remain in a drought status and residents are urged to use the utmost caution if they choose to burn outside.

2Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Re: Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/7/2018, 3:01 am

2seaoat

I will drive over this weekend and see what damage. Twice we missed fires by a couple hundred yards. My neighbor started a fire which spread into the woods and tried to blame my wife and I when we were up in Illinois. The fire chief told me he simply followed the fire back to his burner in his back yard. The guy was front page PNJ for selling meth......he will get out in ten years. I am sad because my friend and neighbor passed since last winter and his property is up for sale. Horrible low price, as property on Garcon Point is virtually worthless until they get the damn tolls worked out. I used to bitch about the controlled burns on Garcon Point. They were utterly incompetent and often fires started from the same. If that toll was taken off that bridge, Garcon Point would be the hottest area in the Panhandle.

3Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Re: Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/7/2018, 1:55 pm

RealLindaL

You're probably aware there's a move afoot to have the state buy the bridge. Unfortunately, the toll authority would remain the same, but maybe something could be "arranged."

4Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Re: Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/7/2018, 4:51 pm

2seaoat

I have not followed too closely after the bridge authority filed for bankruptcy protection. I have to drive all the way up to Pace when it would take literally five minutes for me to park my car at the Lowes in Gulf Breeze.

5Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Re: Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/16/2018, 8:28 pm

2seaoat

Went to Garcon today, and the fire was not close to our property. It is a regular event on Garcon point. What a beautiful area. However, it is so low that I doubt with the sea rising that this peninsula will ever develop without first floors being fourteen or fifteen feet in the air. That is a big cost which hinders development, but that much land so close to the beaches and easy access to the interstate........potential gold mind.

6Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Re: Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/17/2018, 5:35 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

Bad ideas fail.

7Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Re: Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/17/2018, 6:01 am

2seaoat

Not too many areas in the panhandle that you can buy five acres and have horses, yet only be ten minutes from the beach, or three minutes from the interstate. Great Bayous where you can boat downtown in twenty minutes, or go up one of the most pristine rivers in Florida with the beautiful yellow river. The biggest challenge is getting the bridge tolls figured out. The only downer is the Milton schools compared to Gulf Breeze and Navarre.

8Seaoat...Garcon point fire Empty Re: Seaoat...Garcon point fire 2/17/2018, 6:25 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Not too many areas in the panhandle that you can buy five acres and have horses, yet only be ten minutes from the beach, or three minutes from the interstate.  Great Bayous where you can boat downtown in twenty minutes, or go up one of the most pristine rivers in Florida with the beautiful yellow river.  The biggest challenge is getting the bridge tolls figured out.  The only downer is the Milton schools compared to Gulf Breeze and Navarre.

cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum