Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Garcon Point Bridge

+3
ZVUGKTUBM
knothead
Joanimaroni
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Garcon Point Bridge Empty Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 6:05 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Toll will increase 30%. I haven't used the bridge in years ....and I certainly will not pay $5.00 to cross the bridge.

2Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 6:14 pm

knothead

knothead

. . . . . and neither have I. On one trip our group was traveling in two vehicles and planned beforehand for one to take the bridge while the other get off at Scenic . . . . . we were both coming to the beach . . . . . the difference in time was negligible . . . . . what a rip off that bridge turned out to be!

3Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 6:15 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Well, since Santa Rosans allowed this boondoggle in the first place, they should be forced to pay tolls. The rest of us should drive over it for free.....

Is Bo Johnson still in prison? Someone should make a timeline of all of the news stories about the Garcon Point Bridge and put it in a time-machine to be sent back to good old Bolley when he was SOH. Bolley's Folly!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

4Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 6:19 pm

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Well, since Santa Rosans allowed this boondoggle in the first place, they should be forced to pay tolls. The rest of us should drive over it for free.....

Is Bo Johnson still in prison? Someone should make a timeline of all of the news stories about the Garcon Point Bridge and put it in a time-machine to be sent back to good old Bolley when he was SOH. Bolley's Folly!

Agree . . . . . they can't approve a crumbling out of date court house but yet they kowtowed for the bridge to nowhere . . . .

5Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 6:49 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Well, since Santa Rosans allowed this boondoggle in the first place, they should be forced to pay tolls. The rest of us should drive over it for free.....

Agree . . . . . they can't approve a crumbling out of date court house but yet they kowtowed for the bridge to nowhere . . . .    
No one is forced to pay the toll.....

Santa Rosa residents...mainly Gulf Breeze fought the bridge structure. We didn't want it, it was the wrong location, and we lost.

Please don't falsely accuse. Studies done were based on the bridge to Destin, not the bridge to Walmart.  There were many silent parties pushing for the bridge. One influential group hoped to have a second bridge across the sound to connect Portifino to the interstate.

6Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 6:57 pm

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:
knothead wrote:

No one is forced to pay the toll.....

Santa Rosa residents...mainly Gulf Breeze fought the bridge structure. We didn't want it, it was the wrong location, and we lost.

Please don't falsely accuse. Studies done were based on the bridge to Destin, not the bridge to Walmart.  There were many silent parties pushing for the bridge. One influential group hoped to have a second bridge across the sound to connect Portifino to the interstate.

I remember all too well . . . . it was a sordid and corrupt affair.

7Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 7:01 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bo and Judy went to jail for income tax evasion.

8Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 7:37 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Joanimaroni wrote:Bo and Judy went to jail for income tax evasion.

I was just pushing your buttons a little......  Razz

The bridge would be a nice addition to the offshore fishing reefs we have in different places. I have read that fish are really attracted to submerged bridge rubble.

Here is a thought: The bridge bondholders could "reef" the bridge offshore, then charge folks to fish over it. The prices could be variable, like catch a red snapper, pay $10; catch a mingo, pay just $1; $3 for a trigger fish, etc.

Maybe this way, they might recover their money faster.
alien

9Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 7:43 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Joanimaroni wrote:One influential group hoped to have a second bridge across the sound to connect Portifino to the interstate.

Gee, I wonder which group that was???? Were they prepared to spend their own millions on the connecting span (doubtful...)?

10Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/26/2015, 7:46 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Bo and Judy went to jail for income tax evasion.

I was just pushing your buttons a little......  Razz

The bridge would be a nice addition to the offshore fishing reefs we have in different places. I have read that fish are really attracted to submerged bridge rubble.

Here is a thought: The bridge bondholders could "reef" the bridge offshore, then charge folks to fish over it. The prices could be variable, like catch a red snapper, pay $10; catch a mingo, pay just $1; $3 for a trigger fish, etc.

Maybe this way, they might recover their money faster.
alien

LOL.....the bridge was and is a sore subject in Gulf Breeze.

I have no idea WTH is wrong with the bond-holders. First they funded the bridge to no where now they want to raise the toll on a bridge with limited traffic. Traffic limited because of the $$$$$$.

11Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/27/2015, 7:04 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Every time I hear a bridge story I can't help but wonder if they've ever done a study or run the numbers on how much more traffic the bridge would have if they lowered the price to just $1 or some other amount that didn't feel like highway robbery?

It just seems that a lower price would attract more traffic. I have to be in a real jam before I'll use the bridge, that's for sure.

12Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/27/2015, 7:27 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

othershoe1030 wrote:Every time I hear a bridge story I can't help but wonder if they've ever done a study or run the numbers on how much more traffic the bridge would have if they lowered the price to just $1 or some other amount that didn't feel like highway robbery?

It just seems that a lower price would attract more traffic. I have to be in a real jam before I'll use the bridge, that's for sure.
Of course a lower toll would attract more users. In the past when the toll was lifted....the bridge had heavy traffic counts. 

The bridge is privately owned and I think the bond holders are nuts. First, for buying into a bridge based on false studies; secondly,  for raising the toll on a bridge with less than  minimal traffic.

13Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/27/2015, 8:02 pm

Hallmarkgard

Kinda makes me think of downtown Pensacola.

14Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/28/2015, 12:44 am

2seaoat

The biggest transportation problem is highway 98 as the corridor for the panhandle. If a true transportation study and funding was available, there are many things which could enhance traffic safety on 98 and improve the dangerous congestion. The bridge actually adds to the traffic on 98, and its utility is not going west, but going east to Navarre. It saves a considerable amount of time over interstate 10 which gradually angles North.

The bankruptcy and the bondholder agreement is exactly what would have happend in the auto industry if a Chapter 11 clean start was put into effect. However, the bankruptcy is a farce, as the bondholders controlled the creditors committee and everything continues to revolve around an untenable debt service plan. This bridge over the next twenty years will be an immeasurable asset. Some people are going to eventually eat the loss, but the bondholders plan is to let it decay to the point the state and feds have to kick up some money........Why a bankruptcy judge has not already stripped bond holder equity is beyond me......it did not work at $3.50, and it sure as hell will not work at five bucks.

15Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/28/2015, 8:58 pm

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:Every time I hear a bridge story I can't help but wonder if they've ever done a study or run the numbers on how much more traffic the bridge would have if they lowered the price to just $1 or some other amount that didn't feel like highway robbery?

Careful now, your supporting CAPITALISM and opposing the goals of your messiah, semi-retired President Obama.

16Garcon Point Bridge Empty Re: Garcon Point Bridge 2/28/2015, 9:14 pm

Markle

Markle

I don't have a cat in this fight since I don't live in or near Pensacola although whenever I've been there the people were very cordial and helpful.

As I understand it, 2seaoat is right. The bridge was built with private bonds being sold and went into bankruptcy. I have to admit, I did find that amusing since it added new meaning to the term, yes, and I have bridge to sell you too.

It seems the bridge should follow the usual process of a business going broke. It goes into foreclosure, could be again, the buyer pays a low enough price to make it a money making concern. The current bondholders lick their wounds, take their losses and move on. The new investors will profit and the bridge...errrrr beat goes on.

Had it been allowed, the same thing would have happened with GM and the now foreign car manufacturer, Chrysler.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum