Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Romney's Chinese Investments - Typical Hypocrisy

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/romney-china-stock-investments

"On the campaign trail, Mitt Romney rips President Obama's policy on China and talks tough against the rising global power. "We're going to crack down on China," he said at a recent event in Ohio. "They've stolen our jobs; that's gotta stop." But according to Romney's recent tax returns, between 2008 and 2011 Romney invested more than a half million dollars in the stocks of 10 Chinese companies—including firms that embezzled, partnered with Iran, and stole US intellectual property.

Through Romney's individual and family "blind" trusts—managed by his personal lawyer, R. Bradford Malt—the Romneys traded more than 25,000 shares in Chinese firms, including some based in Hong Kong. Some of these investments have previously been reported in the media and raised by the Obama campaign, but others have gone unnoticed. Overall, the stock investments netted the Romneys a profit of more than $90,000 in 2010 and 2011. (Some of the individual investments were losers.) While that sum is a pittance in light of the candidate's vast personal wealth, it represents a significant amount for ordinary working Americans. Romney has long invested in China, putting millions into Chinese firms back when he ran Bain Capital, as MoJo's DC bureau chief David Corn first exposed in several reports this summer.

Romney has said that he has no role in managing his personal investments; one of his aides told the Financial Times recently that Malt works "to make the investments in the blind trust conform to Governor Romney’s positions, and whenever it comes to his attention that there is something inconsistent, he ends the investment." But back in 1994 Romney himself said that blind trusts don't absolve an investor of responsibility: "The blind trust is an age old ruse, if you will, which is to say, you can always tell the blind trust what it can and cannot do. You give a blind trust rules."...""

why are you so concerned about other peoples money?

Same old BS, different day.

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

I own a Iphone. I must be a traitor too What a Face

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:why are you so concerned about other peoples money?

You're supposed to be a business major...you tell me about OPM. The article, though, is not really a discussion of that concept, but of the fact that Mittens told lie after lie about reining in China. He has no intention of reigning in China or any other country so long as he can make a dime off their sweatshops. He has no intention of preserving any safety nets for US citizens, including Social Security, although we all paid in.

I find it astonishing that anyone could support a candidate who continually changes positions or just outright lies. "If you can't blind 'em with brilliance..."

Floridatexan wrote:

You're supposed to be a business major...you tell me about OPM. The article, though, is not really a discussion of that concept, but of the fact that Mittens told lie after lie about reining in China. He has no intention of reigning in China or any other country so long as he can make a dime off their sweatshops. He has no intention of preserving any safety nets for US citizens, including Social Security, although we all paid in.

I find it astonishing that anyone could support a candidate who continually changes positions or just outright lies. "If you can't blind 'em with brilliance..."

None of that matters to the ABO crowd..
What bothers me is How he got his money.. And How he keeps it in offshore accounts..

Rehashed garbage aka SOSDD

"President Obama, a former Illinois state senator, has as much as $100,000 in a state retirement plan that contains shares of Sensata Technologies, the same auto parts company controlled by Bain that is closing its Illinois factory."

As a percentage of net worth it appears BHO has more of an interest tied to China than Romney.

Apparently even BHO has no control over where his money is invested. This is a global economy you know. Also you apparently are totally clueless about multinational investment funds, blind trusts, and state pension funds. No surprise there.

then you must be terribly disappointed with obama. he has also done remarkably well during the economic crisis.

nochain wrote:Same old BS, different day.

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

The rants of FT and a few others have that effect!...OK so does EVERYONE NOW know that Romney has BIG BUCKS and INVESTMENTS?...Romney's money is HIS and when he invests or spends it...it's still HIS to do so...Is the COWH accountable for his wonderful record of throwing away other people's money on say....Solyndra etc.,...Strange that FT and others have no objections to the amount the COWH has squandered away but are more concerned with what successful people do with their money....slight bit of jealousy?....

Lurch wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

What bothers me is How he got his money.. And How he keeps it in offshore accounts..

Is Romney the ONLY American with offshore accounts?...Concerned about other politicians too?...More stupidity on display...watched a report that estimates that Romney made approximately $125 Million at Bain...then the reports says when compared to other CEO's etc., that's a low amount and he must not have been very good...so he's blamed no matter what he did or didn't earn!...OK lets investigate how the Kennedy's made their fortune....John Kerry...Harry Reids land investments in Nevada that he sold to the government...Pelosi's husband and the fishing money...Joe Bidens family....etc....

knothead

knothead

This has nothing to do with "other peoples money" but rather shines a light on his business practices which are antithetical to his positions and hyperbole in his campaign stump speeches.

knothead

knothead

newswatcher wrote:
Lurch wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Is Romney the ONLY American with offshore accounts?...Concerned about other politicians too?...More stupidity on display...watched a report that estimates that Romney made approximately $125 Million at Bain...then the reports says when compared to other CEO's etc., that's a low amount and he must not have been very good...so he's blamed no matter what he did or didn't earn!...OK lets investigate how the Kennedy's made their fortune....John Kerry...Harry Reids land investments in Nevada that he sold to the government...Pelosi's husband and the fishing money...Joe Bidens family....etc....

He is running for POTUS which distinctly separates him from his ultra rich brethren and that is a HUGE difference.

[quote="knothead"][quote="newswatcher"][quote="Lurch"]
Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:why....

He is running for POTUS which distinctly separates him from his ultra rich brethren and that is a HUGE difference.

Would you rather he were a former sign holder who spent years begging at an intersection? Unfortunately the rich and connected are the only ones who can mount an effective presidential campaign these days. CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM!!!!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

If Mr. Malt, the manager of the blind trust, changes investments every time mittens changes positions on a subject he must be the busiest lawyer on Wall Street! Better keep watching the TV, Mr. Malt, oh, and don't forget to watch for the staff person to come out hours later and clean up Romney's latest denial of what he just announced on the campaign trail.

This guy is like a jigsaw puzzle but the pieces keep changing all the time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum