Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reporter: Romneys Happy To Have Party With Black People Drowning

+4
VectorMan
Floridatexan
Sal
Nekochan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/reporter-romneys-happy-have-party-black-people-drowning_651119.html

No wonder that some of you think that most or all Republicans are racist if you listen to racist reporters like this. And yes, I did call this reporter racist and the others who laughed with him racist because people who think this kind of thing is funny are racists.
Now, I will be like Bob and watch my 'like' ratings go into the negatives.

How about them apples, the guy who said it was a Yahoo newsie and Yahoo wasted no time kicking him to the curb. Yahoos (kind of appropriate huh?) statement: "David Chalian’s statement was inappropriate and does not represent the views of Yahoo!. He has been terminated effective immediately. We have already reached out to the Romney campaign, and we apologize to Mitt Romney, his staff, their supporters and anyone who was offended."

I put that former reporter in the same category as the two RNC peanut throwers who got tossed out.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Glad that Yahoo is doing the right thing and you're right that he's in the same category as the two racists who were tossed from the convention.
But don't you think that racist reporters--people who we rely on to bring us unbiased news reports--are more dangerous to society than those two who were kicked out of the convention yesterday?

Nekochan wrote:Glad that Yahoo is doing the right thing and you're right that he's in the same category as the two racists who were tossed from the convention.
But don't you think that racist reporters--people who we rely on to bring us unbiased news reports--are more dangerous to society than those two who were kicked out of the convention yesterday?

Of course. They can spin a story, leave out important details that influence the true deal, and have a wider audience. The perfect political influence platform.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I think that what othershoe said about the two who threw peanuts at the black lady yesterday applies to this reporter, as well:

People say the damnedest things when they're with others who they think share their outlook but to do and say something like this in public and basically in a venue surrounded by national news organizations is astoundingly stupid and thoughtless.

This reporter was with others who he thought (in this case who he knew) shared his outlook and the proof is that the other reporters with him thought that what he said was funny. It was an astoundingly stupid and thoughtless thing for him to say and for the other reporters to laugh at....and it was all caught on the mic, unbeknownst to all of them at the time. How much of this stuff goes on that isn't caught on the mic?

Sal

Sal

I certainly don't get what was funny about what he said. It was a simple statement of the dude's opinion. I think what followed was some nervous laughter because what he said was uncomfortable but more or less true.

Equating what he said to the behavior of the peanut-throwing bigots is silly.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Nervous laughter? C'mon--you're better than excusing this behavior!

No, it's not the same--it's worse. Because this guy was supposed to be reporting the news.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Oh no--the libs have me almost negative! Sad

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:Nervous laughter? C'mon--you're better than excusing this behavior!

No, it's not the same--it's worse. Because this guy was supposed to be reporting the news.

At worst, he was calling Willard a racist. Calling someone a racist is not the same as being a racist. This false equivalency tactic has become a standard of the wingnut playbook. The intent is projection, but it only works with other wingnuts.

salinsky wrote:I certainly don't get what was funny about what he said. It was a simple statement of the dude's opinion. I think what followed was some nervous laughter because what he said was uncomfortable but more or less true.

it's telling that you are unable to equate those two things. cognitive dissonance much?

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
it's telling that you are unable to equate those two things. cognitive dissonance much?

It's more telling that you can and do. For an explanation of why, see my post that directly preceded yours.

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:Nervous laughter? C'mon--you're better than excusing this behavior!

OK, Neko. Then explain it to me. People generally laugh for one of two reasons. One, in response to something they find funny. Two, as a reflex to something they find uncomfortable.

reporter David Chalian of Yahoo News said that Ann and Mitt Romney are "happy to have a party with black people drowning."

Explain to me how that is funny. Please point out the punch line. Maybe, you just have a different sense of humor than I have?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
salinsky wrote:I certainly don't get what was funny about what he said. It was a simple statement of the dude's opinion. I think what followed was some nervous laughter because what he said was uncomfortable but more or less true.

The "tell" is the fact that it's posted here at all in an apparent, but LAME, attempt to draw a false equivalency, since it's one of the few tactics to play off a disgusting display of racist ignorance on the part of some attendees of the convention. It must have taken a while to come up with the reporter's open-mic gaffe. Whatever. It doesn't excuse the behavior; kind of makes it worse, actually, because certain people feel compelled to "answer" the issue...as if there were any justification whatever for the actions of the peanut heads.

Nekochan

Nekochan

salinsky wrote:

At worst, he was calling Willard a racist. Calling someone a racist is not the same as being a racist. This false equivalency tactic has become a standard of the wingnut playbook. The intent is projection, but it only works with other wingnuts.

No, at worst, he was Yahoo's Washington Bureau Chief.

Nekochan

Nekochan

salinsky wrote:

OK, Neko. Then explain it to me. People generally laugh for one of two reasons. One, in response to something they find funny. Two, as a reflex to something they find uncomfortable.

reporter David Chalian of Yahoo News said that Ann and Mitt Romney are "happy to have a party with black people drowning."

Explain to me how that is funny. Please point out the punch line. Maybe, you just have a different sense of humor than I have?

It's not funny to me. I'm not laughing.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

The "tell" is the fact that it's posted here at all in an apparent, but LAME, attempt to draw a false equivalency, since it's one of the few tactics to play off a disgusting display of racist ignorance on the part of some attendees of the convention. It must have taken a while to come up with the reporter's open-mic gaffe. Whatever. It doesn't excuse the behavior; kind of makes it worse, actually, because certain people feel compelled to "answer" the issue...as if there were any justification whatever for the actions of the peanut heads.

A gaffe? The Washington Bureau Chief makes a disgusting, racist comment about the Romneys wanting black people to drown and the other reporters laugh at him and you call that a gaffe?

Merriam Webster:

Definition of GAFFE

: a social or diplomatic blunder
: a noticeable mistake

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

one way indignation is the tell... it actually politicizes and minimizes an important issue. if you truly cared about racism you wouldn't do it this disservice... it's not a tool.

Nekochan

Nekochan

And what he said IS racist. That reporter does know that people of all colors live in New Orleans and coastal Alabama and Mississippi..or maybe he doesn't.
RACIST.

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:And what he said IS racist. That reporter does know that people of all colors live in New Orleans and coastal Alabama and Mississippi..or maybe he doesn't.
RACIST.

While you have your Merriam Webster out, you might want to review the definition of "racist". It's obvious you don't understand the meaning of the term.

Nekochan

Nekochan

rac·ism noun \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\

Definition of RACISM

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
: racial prejudice or discrimination
— rac·ist noun or adjective

-------------------------------------------------------
1prej·u·dice noun \ˈpre-jə-dəs\

Definition of PREJUDICE

: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge
b : an instance of such judgment or opinion
c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

----------------------------------------------------

The reporter's words amounted to racial prejudice. He made several race based assumptions about the Romneys and about people living along the Gulf Coast.

Last edited by Nekochan on 8/29/2012, 4:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

salinsky wrote:
Nekochan wrote:And what he said IS racist. That reporter does know that people of all colors live in New Orleans and coastal Alabama and Mississippi..or maybe he doesn't.
RACIST.

While you have your Merriam Webster out, you might want to review the definition of "racist". It's obvious you don't understand the meaning of the term.

it's actually you that must not understand it if you can not see the racism in both... or you choose not to for political reasons.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Liberals are blind to their fellow liberals being racist. Just watch any of the liberal media's so-called news programs. It's pretty pathetic.

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:
He made several race based assumptions about the Romneys and about people living along the Gulf Coast.

He did not. He made a statement insinuating Romney doesn't care about black people. Period. If you think that he's calling Romney a racist, I think it's open to interpretation, but I tend to agree. Calling Romney a racist may be wrong, it may be inflammatory, it may be stereotyping, it may be any number of things. but it's NOT racist. He was not saying anything about the inferiority of Romney's race nor anything about the inferiority about the race of blacks who live along the Gulf Coast. You people are just desperate to make a false equivalency because you can't stand it that bigotry has become a pillar of the GOP, but that's just the way it is.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
it's actually you that must not understand it if you can not see the racism in both... or you choose not to for political reasons.

Bullshit. Show me where he said anything about the inferiority of Romney's race or the race of blacks living along the Gulf Coast, or STFU. Saying Romney is a racist may be wrong, but it is NOT racist. Words have specific meanings which you cannot twist to meet your political agenda. Nice try, but that dog won't hunt.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:
salinsky wrote:
RACIST.

You haven't noticed that in his posts?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum