Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Infrastructure advances around the world, investments by China, U.S. in the dust, how sad

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Below is just one example from the article describing advances in technology and transportation. Of course Markle will pull the source of this article out, enlarge and color the letters just so everyone can see what a lefty source it comes from but I say to him and anyone else who picks at the facts like that...can you dispute any of the information sited there?

For a nation that wants to think of itself as NUMBER ONE this should be a reminder that being NUMBER ONE requires some effort, planning and investment. It is pathetic that our rail system is so obsolete and our tunnels and bridges are falling apart, but we're #1 alright? Only in our minds! It is just wishful thinking. We are thriving on propaganda and suffering from the ostrich with his head in the sand syndrome.

While we debate all sorts of political minutia the rest of the world is carrying on without us. As the article points out it will soon be very difficult if not impossible to ever regain our leadership position in the world. This, I hasten to add is not just the fault of the current administration but of decades of resting on our laurels and refusing to make necessary investments here at home.

Is it too late to try and catch up? Do we have the will? Shall we settle for substandard rail and infrastructure in general? Do we care anymore or will we continue to focus on debates over (fill in your favorite distraction here)?

And that small high-speed line in the Balkans is just the tip of the exciting infrastructure plans China -- in collaboration with Russia and the European Union -- has for connecting Eurasia -- constructing a new "silk road" for the 21st Century. Look at what just arrived in Spain.
The longest rail link in the world and the first direct link between China and Spain is up and running after a train from Yiwu in coastal China completed its maiden journey of 8,111 miles to Madrid.
En route it passed through Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany and France before arriving at the Abroñigal freight terminal in Madrid.

The railway has been dubbed the “21st-century Silk Road” by Li Qiang, the governor of Zhejiang province, where Yiwu is located. Its route is longer than the Trans-Siberian railway and the Orient Express.

The first train was met by the mayor of Madrid, Ana Botella, and Spain’s minister of public works, Ana Pastor. It consisted of 30 containers carrying 1,400 tonnes of cargo – mostly toys, stationery and other items for sale over Christmas across Europe.

According to China’s ambassador to Spain, Zhu Banzao, it will return laden with wine, jamón and olive oil in time for the Chinese new year in February.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/21/1353411/-Infrastructure-advances-in-the-rest-of-the-world-will-blow-your-mind?detail=email#

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

"Moving freight by rail is 4 times more fuel efficient than moving freight on the highway. Trains can move a ton of freight nearly 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel. Efficient use of fuel means fewer greenhouse gas emissions for our planet."

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-csx/projects-and-partnerships/fuel-efficiency/

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:"Moving freight by rail is 4 times more fuel efficient than moving freight on the highway. Trains can move a ton of freight nearly 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel. Efficient use of fuel means fewer greenhouse gas emissions for our planet."

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-csx/projects-and-partnerships/fuel-efficiency/

Very true. There has to be public and government will to see the need for upgrading our dilapidated rail system. I would love to be able to hop on a passenger train and travel around the country thus avoiding the intrusive and restrictive rules imposed by the airline industry!

Why are we so blind when it comes to matters of our public transportation? Could it have anything to do with the profits of the petroleum industry? I ask that tongue in cheek of course. It is as if the media doesn't want to embarrass the American people by letting them know on a regular basis how antique our system of transportation is. I feel as if I am living inside a giant propaganda machine. Why aren't we all demonstrating for 21st century infrastructure? Is it because we think we already have it? UGH. When did we get so stupid?

KarlRove

KarlRove

People in Europe and. Asia live pretty muh piled up on each other. Americans don't want thst for the most part.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

KarlRove wrote:People in  Europe and. Asia live pretty muh piled up on each other. Americans don't want thst for the most part.

How does that relate to us not having decent transportation in this country? This makes no sense whatsoever. Following that line of "reasoning" we'd better not improve our infrastructure because if we do we'll be all crowded together? What?

I'd bet that the article I posted would come as a brisk shock to most Americans who continue to believe in our premier status in the world on any and all categories. In reality we are becoming more like citizens in some cloistered communist country who believe all the propaganda fed to us by the corporate controlled media. Pathetically we have access to world wide news via the Internet but somehow all the progress in the rest of the world eludes us.

What is the reason for our failure to advance? Are we not interested in traveling around this country? Are we not worthy of 21st century trains? Do we just love our cars so much? Don't tell me that the country is too big to find high speed rail practical. That makes it even more appealing or necessary. The one rail line between China and Spain is over 8,000 miles long. I guess we'll continue to take solace in competing with Albania in the realm of transportation?  

gatorfan

One reason this country can't seem to improve infrastructure like adding high speed rail city pairs is the difficulty in acquiring necessary easements. We can't even get a simple pipeline built because of hair on fire environmentalists who can't seem to realize the efficiency improvement over rail/truck transport of crude.

We have so many "protected lands" that routing a long distance high speed rail system would be problematic. Problems that a country like China doesn't have.

This country has hundreds of bridges in need of replacement or major repair, most large cities and many small towns have antiquated water and sewer systems, our electrical grid is very inefficient by modern standards, there are many old dams that need to be removed, the list is endless.

But we have no problem building hideously expensive F-35 aircraft, nuclear submarines, state of the art aircraft carriers, and Littoral Combat Ships designed to meet a nonexistent threat.....

KarlRove

KarlRove

othershoe1030 wrote:
KarlRove wrote:People in  Europe and. Asia live pretty muh piled up on each other. Americans don't want thst for the most part.

How does that relate to us not having decent transportation in this country? This makes no sense whatsoever. Following that line of "reasoning" we'd better not improve our infrastructure because if we do we'll be all crowded together? What?

I'd bet that the article I posted would come as a brisk shock to most Americans who continue to believe in our premier status in the world on any and all categories. In reality we are becoming more like citizens in some cloistered communist country who believe all the propaganda fed to us by the corporate controlled media. Pathetically we have access to world wide news via the Internet but somehow all the progress in the rest of the world eludes us.

What is the reason for our failure to advance? Are we not interested in traveling around this country? Are we not worthy of 21st century trains? Do we just love our cars so much? Don't tell me that the country is too big to find high speed rail practical. That makes it even more appealing or necessary. The one rail line between China and Spain is over 8,000 miles long. I guess we'll continue to take solace in competing with Albania in the realm of transportation?  

It makes sense because the only place rail works for hauling people is population dense areas where people live ahole to elbow. We already do haul freight by train everywhere. I hear the trains running through Milton all of the time. In the time rail was going to be in Florida, it was wisely defunded by Governor Scott because it would have only benefitted the South Central area of the state and the rest of the taxpayers would have been left footing the bill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum