Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Graphic Norway Helicopter Crash

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Graphic Norway Helicopter Crash Empty Graphic Norway Helicopter Crash 5/6/2016, 12:41 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

This happened on April 29th. The aircraft, a French-made Super Puma helicopter, ferrying oil field workers from a North Sea offshore oil platform,  crashed, killing all 13 aboard. Apparently, the main rotor separated from the helicopter in flight, as shown in this video:

I cannot wait to read the accident report on this incident just to find out the probable cause. I logged 3,540 flight hours in helicopters and was around to hear about some spectacular and often gruesome accidents, but none of those were caused by separation of the main rotor from the aircraft.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

RealLindaL

Leaves one speechless (and that's rare for me, as you surely know by now).

Hallmarkgard

Maybe a Jesus Bolt failure?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Hallmarkgard wrote:Maybe a Jesus Bolt failure?

I actually thought about that. The so-called "Jesus Nut" is common to helicopters with a two-blade rotor system (mostly Bell helicopters like the Model 206 and the UH-1). The Super Puma seems to have a 5-bladed rotor head, indicating it has a more complex fully-articulated rotor system (likely held together by more than just one nut or bolt). Obviously there was some sort of catastrophic mechanical failure involving either the main rotor system or the main gearbox that it sits on and is driven by.

Those kinds of failures are rare. Most of the helicopter accidents that occurred when I was flying were caused by pilot error (3-4 dozen over the years). Very few were caused by mechanical failure (perhaps 3).

Aviation Week magazine will eventually detail the cause.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum