Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Possibly brace yourself for another tornado tomorrow.

+7
Sal
Joanimaroni
Floridatexan
RealLindaL
dumpcare
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I drove up to look at the Century tornado damage yesterday.  It's pretty heartbreaking to look at because the tornado wiped out the homes of the poorest people in Century.

And now Al Roker warns us we may be in for more of this weather tomorrow...

Possibly brace yourself for another tornado tomorrow. Roker10

I heard there is no FEMA available for them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:I heard there is no FEMA available for them.  

Yes and that is really something that is so insanely stupid about how the federal government operates.
In order for FEMA to get involved,  there has to be a minimum of $25 million worth of damage.  But of course when a tornado blows away homes valued at only five or ten thousand dollars,  it aint gonna be $25 million in damage. 

SO,  the poorest people in Century,  even though their homes are completely destroyed,  don't count for anything to the ridiculous clowns we call a federal government.

2seaoat

I saw an older trailer which had a pine crush the home. The person probably had the home paid for, and I doubt anybody would have insured the home. The person probably got injured from the damage. The home is destroyed and everything they own is gone, and there is no FEMA grant available because of an artificial threshold......government is bone chilling stupid at times.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That mobile home is on the corner of Hgwy 29 and Loop Rd and you're right it's an amazing sight to behold how that tree sliced through the middle of it.

For those who want to observe the tornado damage,  go north on 29 until you see that trailer on the right side of the highway.  And then turn right at that corner onto Loop Rd.  The worst damage is concentrated in areas south and north of Loop Rd.

I'm hoping the churches in the area are stepping up.  This is where the rubber meets the road. And by area I mean NW Florida, South Alabama, etc.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:I'm hoping the churches in the area are stepping up.  This is where the rubber meets the road.  And by area I mean NW Florida, South Alabama, etc.

The churches are trying to provide the relief that the ridiculous clowns in the ridiculous federal government are refusing to provide.

dumpcare

Scott finally declared parts of Escambia county a disaster area, took him a while week.

RealLindaL

Scott was in Pensacola Wednesday, apparently to discuss with Sheriff Morgan the situation in Century.  But he couldn't even be bothered to go up there himself.  Hey, buncha poor people, what did he care???   Our governor is a phony and an embarrassing excuse for a leader.

Here's the last paragraph of a rather touching editorial on NorthEscambia.com, with which I heartily concur:

Governor, Century is not just your state’s poorest little town. It’s a place full of people rich beyond belief in their love for their little town and each other. Perhaps you have to deny them assistance under existing state and federal regulations, but the least you could have done is stood with them and looked them in the eye.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

WEAR had a fundraiser at Cordova Mall. The State should have already stepped up. I heard one of the residents say that Mayor Hayward and Gov. Scott (I hate saying that) drove by but didn't stop.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Today we've learned the truth about BOTH government AND the corporations.

The corporations (Monsanto) are giving us cancer.

The government is turning it's back on the people with the greatest needs.

There is a lesson to be learned in all this.  And it's a lesson for both you left-wingers who worship government and for you right-wingers who worship corporations.

THEY ARE BOTH NOTHING MORE THAN NECESSARY EVILS AND ANYONE WHO TURNS HIS OR HER BACK ON EITHER ONE OF THEM IS A FOOL.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The TOR:CON (Tornado Conditions Index) for Tuesday and Tuesday night is 6 out of 10 for parts of southern Louisiana, southern Mississippi, southern Alabama and the western Florida panhandle, according to Dr. Greg Forbes of The Weather Channel. This means there is a 60 percent chance of a tornado within 50 miles of any location in the specified areas. TOR:CON values as high as 5 out of 10 are posted for Wednesday in eastern North Carolina and southeast Virginia.
In addition, NOAA's Storm Prediction Center (SPC) has issued a moderate risk for parts of the Gulf Coast Tuesday and says that a couple of strong tornadoes (EF2 or higher rating) are possible. A moderate risk is the second highest of five categories on SPC's severe thunderstorm forecasts.

dumpcare

weather channel just moved our area to an 8.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ppaca wrote:weather channel just moved our area to an 8.

What does the 8 mean and what time do they predict the bad weather to start.

Sal

Sal

An eight means an 80% chance of a tornado within 50 miles of any location in the specified area.

Louisiana is getting slammed now, so you're probably looking at mid-evening.

dumpcare

They must expect something big, the downtown government offices are closing at 3PM and the college's at 4 and 5 and all extra curricular activities are cancelled for the rest of the day. I have to cross that damn bridge but maybe can leave early. I hate crossing that in high winds.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Salinsky wrote:An eight means an 80% chance of a tornado within 50 miles of any location in the specified area.

Louisiana is getting slammed now, so you're probably looking at mid-evening.

Just heard the updates. Suppose to swim tonight but will cancel.

Sal

Sal

Stay safe, Pcoleans.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

What does the 8 mean and what time do they predict the bad weather to start.

It's a scale of tornado threat from one to ten with ten being the greatest.
BUT,  it was dreamed up by a tv personality at The Weather Channel ,  not the National Weather Service.
And remember,  at The Weather Channel,  Jim Cantore now has the same title as the dude who dreamed this up,  "meteorologist".  lol

Last edited by Bob on 2/23/2016, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

It's a scale of tornado threat from one to ten with ten being the greatest.
BUT, it was dreamed up by a tv personality at The Weather Channel , not the National Weather Service.

Like a difference exists between dart throwers.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I know,  seaoat.  Just like there's no difference between between going to a chiropractor or going to an oncologist when you and I are dealing with our lung cancers.  Because be it meteorology or medicine either one, science is all just a big fraud.  Witch doctors and dart throwers the lot of it.

2seaoat

Weather and what is conveyed to the public as forecast can hardly be called science. Weather is complex. Local talking heads pretending to be your scientist could flip a coin and be about as accurate. We are just barely advancing beyond the stone age in weather modeling and use of computers, but the results are consistently bad......this coming from someone who has had live debates with Tom Skilling and is not fooled a bit by dart throwers or their deficiencies.

2seaoat

The weather and the method of communicating the same has been bastardized by money. Storms, rain, and snow get folks attention. They tune in to listen to the dart throwers pump up risk beyond reality, and retain viewers and ratings. It is common in Northern Illinois for TV folks to lead with severe weather warning to be described later, and the probability of the same is less than 20%, yet every festival, outdoor business, or golf course loses business because instead of putting the probability of a forecast and having a historical record of the puffing, there is no accountability.....the funniest is your local three degree challenge......more total bs.

Every portal to the public should have historical ratings as to probability of forecasts and compliance by the forecaster. It is leeches and other brews pretending to be science which the dart throwers go unchallenged and profit. It is so bad in Illinois, that I have written two local stations and raised the possibility of a lawsuit for their puffing which gains viewership, but hurts the outdoor businesses in the area. Since contacting them they have significantly scaled back on the lead in stories and puffing which used to show rain every weekend, but now assign probabilities and instead of showing clouds and lightening graphics they show sunshine and a cloud which is pretty much admitting they do not know what the F they are doing.....sometimes even the worse dart thrower can hit a bullseye.

RealLindaL

The Escambia County Emergency Operations Center was activated at 3 p.m. today, and the Santa Rosa Island Authority also sent everyone home at 3 p.m.    Fort Pickens was evacuated at noon.  

I hope as we all do that this will be nothing more than just another case of much ado about nothing, but the National Weather Service is every bit as concerned about this as the less-credible Weather Channel, since our current threat level is pretty rare for this area, so I think it's wise to be prudent in this case.  

Glad you canceled your swim tonight, Joani.  

Everyone keep an eye to the sky and stay safe!   Thanks for your good wishes, Sal.

cool1

cool1

Everybody buckle up its coming in now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum