Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The best reason for republicans to support raising the minimum wage ...

+2
2seaoat
Wordslinger
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

On TV, an unemployed, welfare recipient black woman in New York city was being interviewed about finding a job.  She said "there's nothin' out there."  The reporter showed her help wanted ads from MacDonalds and other fast food restaurants.  She said that their pay was so low she wouldn't be able to stay where she's living.  

There you have it, you racist conservatives ... if that isn't a great reason to raise the minimum wage, what is?

Ya... public assistance is more lucrative and a hell of alot easier. Raising min wage to $15 will cost jobs and raise prices.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:Ya... public assistance is more lucrative and a hell of alot easier. Raising min wage to $15 will cost jobs and raise prices.

That's not what Trump says. But if you want to leave thousands of unemployed people on welfare instead of working at jobs that will permit them to live above rank poverty, that's your right. And if I'm a limousine liberal, where the hell's my driver?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

You republicans really are batshit crazy. With the current minimum wage, welfare recipients live better on the dole than they can working part time at Chic-filet. You guys piss and moan about the costs of welfare, but you fight hard against a solution that would decimate welfare rolls. So vote for the Donald .... LOL

2seaoat

raising it to 11 or 12 dollars would be a win/win. I agree that 15 is too high in one move. 15 over 10 years.....ok.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

2seaoat wrote:raising it to 11 or 12 dollars would be a win/win.  I agree that 15 is too high in one move.  15 over 10 years.....ok.

I personally oppose the minimum wage ... but I'm pragmatic enough to know it's not going away. Not anytime soon.

But consider that $11 or $12 per hour is a 60%+ increase. That's a pretty big labor cost increase for employers to absorb all in one shot .... esp considering many of these jobs are part-time positions. And especially for smaller employers. And consider also employers have to raise the pay of their longer-term, higher skilled, and/or full-time employees out of fundamental fairness.

I don't think an over 60% immediate increase in the minimum wage is really do-able ... the effects would ripple through the economy fast & not in a good way. I'd say $8.50 at the most if the increase is to be immediate. That's about a 17% increase.

2seaoat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/wisconsin-db-lines-up-for-wrong-team-after-head-injury/ar-AAdZWbu

Wordslinger wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Ya... public assistance is more lucrative and a hell of alot easier. Raising min wage to $15 will cost jobs and raise prices.

That's not what Trump says.  But if you want to leave thousands of unemployed people on welfare instead of working at jobs that will permit them to live above rank poverty, that's your right.  And if I'm a limousine liberal, where the hell's my driver?

And it is becoming clear that people DON'T want $15 an hour because they lose all public assistance.... go figure

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/nonprofit-worker-reduced-hours-requested-stay-subs/nmYYS/

http://politicaloutcast.com/2015/07/raise-minimum-wage-and-workers-cut-hours-to-keep-welfare/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/24/seattle-sees-unexpected-fallout-from-15-per-hour-min-wage/

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

EmeraldGhost wrote:
2seaoat wrote:raising it to 11 or 12 dollars would be a win/win.  I agree that 15 is too high in one move.  15 over 10 years.....ok.

I personally oppose the minimum wage ... but I'm pragmatic enough to know it's not going away.  Not anytime soon.

But consider that $11 or $12 per hour is a 60%+ increase.  That's a pretty big labor cost increase for employers to absorb all in one shot .... esp considering many of these jobs are part-time positions.  And especially for smaller employers.   And consider also employers have to raise the pay of their longer-term, higher skilled, and/or full-time employees out of fundamental fairness.

I don't think an over 60% immediate increase in the minimum wage is really do-able ... the effects would ripple through the economy fast & not in a good way.   I'd say $8.50 at the most if the increase is to be immediate.   That's about a 17% increase.

Please stop making sense! The liberals want individual entry level jobs for people without skills or education to make $15.00 an hour for showing up. Of course they will also need to get regular raises.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

This will cost a lot of jobs..I would weed out the lower performers and send them packing..most kids just out of school are not worth anywhere near minimum wage as it sits today..  skills ...people need to develop some.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

What incentive would they have to further educate themselves?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Joanimaroni wrote:What incentive would they have to further educate themselves?

Joanie: If anyone listens to you here, you're advocating that unemployed people on welfare will do better staying on welfare than taking an entry level job. Smart move ... for a dimwit.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Joanimaroni wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:

I personally oppose the minimum wage ... but I'm pragmatic enough to know it's not going away.  Not anytime soon.

But consider that $11 or $12 per hour is a 60%+ increase.  That's a pretty big labor cost increase for employers to absorb all in one shot .... esp considering many of these jobs are part-time positions.  And especially for smaller employers.   And consider also employers have to raise the pay of their longer-term, higher skilled, and/or full-time employees out of fundamental fairness.

I don't think an over 60% immediate increase in the minimum wage is really do-able ... the effects would ripple through the economy fast & not in a good way.   I'd say $8.50 at the most if the increase is to be immediate.   That's about a 17% increase.

Please stop making sense!  The liberals want individual entry level jobs for people without skills or education to make $15.00  an hour for showing up. Of course they will also need to get regular raises.

You think someone working at Burger King or Chic-filet on an entry level job is just "showing up?" Are you like the elder Bush -- tantalized at a supermarket check-out stand and mesmerized by the barcode reader? Get real.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

TEOTWAWKI wrote:This will cost a lot of jobs..I would weed out the lower performers and send them packing..most kids just out of school are not worth anywhere near minimum wage as it sits today..  skills ...people need to develop some.

Yeah, the kid who's working part time at the fry station at McDonalds needs more skills .... what an asshole you are sometimes Teo ..

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:

Please stop making sense!  The liberals want individual entry level jobs for people without skills or education to make $15.00  an hour for showing up. Of course they will also need to get regular raises.

You think someone working at Burger King or Chic-filet on an entry level job is just "showing up?"  Are you like the elder Bush -- tantalized at a supermarket check-out stand and mesmerized by the barcode reader?  Get real.  

And are you telling me working the counter or grilling a partially cooked piece of meat at McDonald's is a tough job and worthy of $15.00 an hour?

My 16 year old granddaughter worked at McDonald's part-time to earn money to pay her car insurance. She is smart and just as cute as she can be....but making $15.00 for smiling and taking your order....no way !

She got a little experience and took another job, part-time at a beach restaurant as a hostess. Again, she works hard but it is not a $15.00 an hour position. She is a student earning extra money only. Education and skill pay off.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Joanimaroni wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:

You think someone working at Burger King or Chic-filet on an entry level job is just "showing up?"  Are you like the elder Bush -- tantalized at a supermarket check-out stand and mesmerized by the barcode reader?  Get real.  

And are you telling me working the counter or grilling a partially cooked piece of meat at McDonald's is a tough job and worthy of $15.00 an hour?  

My 16 year old  granddaughter worked at McDonald's part-time to earn money to pay her car insurance. She is smart and just as cute as she can be....but making $15.00 for smiling and taking your order....no way !  

She got a little experience and took another job, part-time at a beach restaurant as a hostess. Again, she works hard but it is not a $15.00 an hour position. She is a student earning extra money only. Education and skill  pay off.

Ok, answer this please -- a mother with two kids is living on welfare.  She lives in a moderate apartment in public housing.  If she takes an entry level job at McDonalds, she won't be able to afford the rent.  What's your advice to her?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Don't screw losers ?

Markle

Markle

The best reason for republicans to support raising the minimum wage ... Minimum-wage-cartoon_zps4r8nklh9

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:

My 16 year old  granddaughter worked at McDonald's part-time to earn money to pay her car insurance. She is smart and just as cute as she can be....but making $15.00 for smiling and taking your order....no way !  

She got a little experience and took another job, part-time at a beach restaurant as a hostess. Again, she works hard but it is not a $15.00 an hour position. She is a student earning extra money only. Education and skill  pay off.

Ok, answer this please -- a mother with two kids is living on welfare.  She lives in a moderate apartment in public housing.  If she takes an entry level job at McDonalds, she won't be able to afford the rent.  What's your advice to her?

Education/ job training.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Joanimaroni wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:

Education/ job training.  

That's a reasonable answer. But you're talking years now. Something in the healthcare industry would probably be a good bet for her. A lab or X-ray tech job would take a minimum of two years full time, and double that if it was a part-time course. Her options are to remain on welfare, or put the work in to earn her way forward. Remember, she has two kids. She'll need access to free child care. You like the odds? Better she takes an entry job at Waffle House and earns $12 to $15 an hour!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well I know it's unpopular with the commies here but capitalism is what gave us the middle class...might give that a try...

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/09/thomas-dilorenzo/capitalism-enriches-the-working-class/

When capital investment increases worker productivity, it means more profits for the capitalists who must then compete for the more skilled labor.  They must pay them more or risk losing them to other employers – and losing the revenue that they can help generate as well.  Under capitalism there is a strong correlation between the growth in labor productivity and the growth in wages.

.....Nothing benefits “the masses” economically more than the growth of capitalism, for capitalists have always understood that the way to become really wealthy is to provide more value at lower prices to the largest possible customer base. Thus, products like cars and refrigerators that were at first the exclusive province of the wealthy soon became available to everyone.

Wordslinger if she had two kids and is making minimum wage she already qualifies for many freebies including child care

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well I know it's unpopular with the commies here but capitalism is what gave us the middle class...might give that a try...

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/09/thomas-dilorenzo/capitalism-enriches-the-working-class/

When capital investment increases worker productivity, it means more profits for the capitalists who must then compete for the more skilled labor.  They must pay them more or risk losing them to other employers – and losing the revenue that they can help generate as well.  Under capitalism there is a strong correlation between the growth in labor productivity and the growth in wages.

.....Nothing benefits “the masses” economically more than the growth of capitalism, for capitalists have always understood that the way to become really wealthy is to provide more value at lower prices to the largest possible customer base.  Thus, products like cars and refrigerators that were at first the exclusive province of the wealthy soon became available to everyone.

Then why has spendable income diminished for the middle class over the last thirty years? Why are wages stagnant? The latest statistics show that wages have diminished in the last three decades. Only lthe ultra rich's incomes have increased -- dramatically. Your bullshit lesson on trickle down economics is just that: bullshit.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Obamasucks wrote:Wordslinger if she had two kids and is making minimum wage she already qualifies for many freebies including child care

The thread started with an unemployed woman on welfare refusing to apply for a minimum wage entry level job at a fast food outlet, because the wages she would earn wouldn't allow her to remain living at the apartment she has via welfare payments. That woman isn't going to take a minimum wage job when her benefits allow her to live better than she could with the job. If you want to argue that people earning less than $8.00 an hour -- most of them working part time, by the way -- are earning a living wage, bring it on baby.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Wordslinger wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well I know it's unpopular with the commies here but capitalism is what gave us the middle class...might give that a try...

.....Nothing benefits “the masses” economically more than the growth of capitalism, for capitalists have always understood that the way to become really wealthy is to provide more value at lower prices to the largest possible customer base.  Thus, products like cars and refrigerators that were at first the exclusive province of the wealthy soon became available to everyone.

Then why has spendable income diminished for the middle class over the last thirty years?  Why are wages stagnant?  The latest statistics show that wages have diminished in the last three decades.  Only lthe ultra rich's incomes have increased -- dramatically.  Your bullshit lesson on trickle down economics is just that: bullshit.

Dude you need to chill...When your commie dream, Russia was starving 20 million people to death and seizing all the farmers produce to sell it overseas to get money to build a military the USA was building an economy that was the envy of the world. The problem is now that economy was transferred to China via Globalist corporations that know the simple new formula to make money...cheap labor reasonable quality and buy politicians....This is crony capitalism...Not to be confused with free enterprise capitalism.

Why are wages stagnant..WE DON'T PRODUCE ANYTHING ! BUT WAR...and those bloody companies have relocated their assets overseas to keep from paying taxes....

Oh also trickle down was a bad idea....when you produce you get paid is the way an economy works.....wait till robots take away the few jobs that are left the unskilled here in the US...You'll be howling then...but that common core sure is turning out well educated productive labor...LOL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum