Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nancy Pelosi told us we had to pass ObamaCare before we knew what it contained. Now the FCC is determined to do the same with the Internet

+2
boards of FL
Markle
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

Nancy Pelosi told us we had to pass ObamaCare before we knew what it contained.  Now the FCC is determined to do the same with the Internet

What could be better than the Government controlling the Internet?  Typical government bureaucracy.  If a problem does NOT exist, do something massive to FIX IT!

House Chair Demands FCC Net Neutrality Gag Order Lifted

Chairman of the House Oversight Committee Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) demanded yesterday that the Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler make public the details of the proposed net neutrality regulations that will regulate the Internet under the same rules as the old AT&T monopoly.

Chaffetz also asked the FCC Chair to appear and answer questions at the House Oversight hearing Wednesday, prior to the planned Agency vote on the draft rules now scheduled for Thursday.

The 332-page final draft FCC order was only delivered to the four other FCC commissioners three weeks ago. When Wheeler delivered the document, he took the unusual step of issuing a “gag order” to prevent its release before the FCC vote.

The FCC was forced to revisit “net neutrality” rules because the agency’s egregious 2010 effort at writing “Open Internet Rules” was thrown out in January 2014 by the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Verizon v. FCC. Although the appeals court agreed the FCC had the authority to regulate broadband services, they rejected the FCC’s potentially biased micro-managing of the Internet.

Chairman Wheeler tried to ramrod President Obama’s net neutrality proposal through the FCC on May 15, 2014. It was understood at the time that Wheeler was trying to maximize FCC breadth for the new rules by basing the legal authority of his proposal on parts of both Title II of the Communications Act of 1934 and the Telecommunications Act of 1996. But the day before the meeting, his fellow Democratic Commissioners, Jessica Rosenworcel and Mignon Clyburn, pushed back on the rush to regulate after being bombarded by consumers who wanted to preserve an open Internet.

In a blog post at the time, Commissioner Clyburn noted, “over 100,000 Americans have spoken” via email, calls and letters. Commissioner Rosenworcel added that she also wanted the FCC to delay consideration of the rules after the torrent of public response.

Breitbart reported on February 9 in “Republican FCC Member Warns Net Neutrality is Not Neutral” that Ajit Pai, as one of two Republican Commissioners on the FCC, tweeted, “I wish the public could see what’s inside.” Pai included a selfie of himself holding the huge document in front of a picture of Obama. The posture of the photo was clearly meant to depict the president as George Orwell’s “Big Brother.”

Pai later released a statement: “President Obama’s plan marks a monumental shift toward government control of the Internet. It gives the FCC the power to micromanage virtually every aspect of how the Internet works,” he said. “The plan explicitly opens the door to billions of dollars in new taxes on broadband… These new taxes will mean higher prices for consumers and more hidden fees that they have to pay.”

The Breitbart article generated over 4,600 comments and set off a firestorm on the Drudge Report as the public realized that the FCC process seemed fundamentally biased due to a lack of transparency and full disclosure prior to such an important regulatory vote. The public was also incensed that the free-for-all Internet was about to be subject to up to $16 billion a year in FCC user taxes and fees.

Read more:  http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/24/house-chair-demands-fcc-net-neutrality-gag-order-lifted/

Last edited by Markle on 2/25/2015, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle, what is net neutrality? I'm just looking for a basic definition here. Nothing sensational. Just tell me what 'net neutrality' means in your mind.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Your first statement, typically, is a lie. Ms. Pelosi's comments were taken completely out of context and the right-wing fascists ran with it. Here is some context, and a link to the entire speech:

That quote, often truncated to “we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it,” or even just paraphrased to hew to the right’s narrative of the quote, has been perverted to mean that the Affordable Care Act was just too many pages, and Democrats just wanted it passed without anyone reading it, and rammed it down America’s throat. While Gregory at least read the whole quote, his interpretation was similar to the narrative that developed over time, that “there was such a rush to get this done—no Republicans voting for it—and now there are unintended effects of this that were foreseen at the time, that you couldn’t know the impact of, and that now this is coming home to roost?”

The influence of that narrative is a testament to the effectiveness of a relentless echo chamber. Here’s how Pelosi’s quote was covered by Politico on the day she made it:

Pelosi: People won’t appreciate reform until it passes
Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday that people won’t appreciate how great the Democrat’s health plan is until after it passes.
“You’ve heard about the controversies, the process about the bill…but I don’t know if you’ve heard that it is legislation for the future – not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America,” she told the National Association of Counties annual legislative conference, which has drawn about 2,000 local officials to Washington. “But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it – away from the fog of the controversy.”
During a 20-minute speech, she touted benefits she thinks will be tangible to the audience’s employers. She said there’s support for public health infrastructure and investments in community health centers that will reduce uncompensated care that hospitals now need to deliver.
“You know as well as anyone that our current system is unsustainable,” said Pelosi (D-Calif.). “The final health care legislation, which will soon be passed by the Congress, will deliver successful reforms at the local level.”

Almost immediately, though, the conservative media seized on the quote, and perverted it into an indictment of the law’s complexity. The meaning that was so perfectly plain to an objective reporter on that day has been completely lost.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-context-behind-nancy-pelosis-famous-we-have-to-pass-the-bill-quote/

Second, the purpose of internet regulation by the FCC is preservation of a free and open internet...including competition...something our carriers don't want...AT&T, Verizon and Comcast have stringently opposed the regulation because it would allow more vigorous competition and not allow them to continue their practice of tiered access based on how much subscribers pay...so your assertion that the FCC, by regulating, is trying to destroy open internet, is completely backwards.

Go peddle your fascist drivel on Stormfront.

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:Markle, what is net neutrality?  I'm just looking for a basic definition here.  Nothing sensational.  Just tell me what 'net neutrality' means in your mind.

Bump.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:Markle, what is net neutrality?  I'm just looking for a basic definition here.  Nothing sensational.  Just tell me what 'net neutrality' means in your mind.

I think that some of the crapola pushed by semi-intelligent poster Markle's handlers actually just goes over his head.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

Thank you again for showing your lack of comprehension.

The 332 pages of regulations, have been kept SECRET from the public.  Do you know what that means?

What has happened in Europe is that the Internet has been slowed down and innovation has been greatly reduced.

YOU certainly can't tell us what it is since, as former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi told us that we had to pass ObamaCare so we could learn what was in the proven boondoggle.

Here AGAIN we have a case of where the government finds something which is working perfectly fine, no complaints, and they fine a NEED to step in and fix what is not broken.

Sal

Sal

So .....

..... you haven't a clue?

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:So .....

..... you haven't a clue?

Obviously . . . . . lol

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I'm not sure what Markle is trying to say here...that our healthcare system was working fine? Uh...NO...it wasn't...and in fact was probably the worst economic problem we had next to the missing trillions from the Pentagon and the reckless spending by the last Republican in the Oval Office. But what can one expect from a pathetic fascist troll?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:

The 332 pages of regulations, have been kept SECRET from the public.  Do you know what that means?

What has happened in Europe is that the Internet has been slowed down and innovation has been greatly reduced.

YOU certainly can't tell us what it is since, as former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi told us that we had to pass ObamaCare so we could learn what was in the proven boondoggle.

Here AGAIN we have a case of where the government finds something which is working perfectly fine, no complaints, and they fine a NEED to step in and fix what is not broken.

Last chance for Markle:  What is 'net neutrality'?  You just created a thread about it.  Or didn't you notice?  Being it the case that you have created a thread about a subject, it should follow that you actually have a working understanding of that subject.

What is 'net neutrality' Markle?

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

Last chance for Markle:  What is 'net neutrality'?  You just created a thread about it.  Or didn't you notice?  Being it the case that you have created a thread about a subject, it should follow that you actually have a working understanding of that subject.

LEGALLY the FCC had to release the 332 pages of regulations 30 days before voting. They did not. Likely it will be challenged in court and lose.

So it is not over yet.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

LEGALLY the FCC had to release the 332 pages of regulations 30 days before voting.  They did not.  Likely it will be challenged in court and lose.

So it is not over yet.

Seriously?  You don't even know what 'net neutrality' means and yet you feel the need to come here and confidently state an opinion on the subject?  What's even worse is that you have Google at your fingertips, and you still can't arrive and a working understanding of what 'net neutrality' means.

GOP 2016, everyone!  Let's hear it for republicans!

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:
LEGALLY the FCC had to release the 332 pages of regulations 30 days before voting.

http://tinyurl.com/73f4e9x

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum