Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Meeting To Address 'Appalling' All-White Oscar Nominees

+4
2seaoat
Sal
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

what says you?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/al-sharpton-calls-emergency-meeting-210136185.html;_ylt=A0LEVvTgQLlUaW0Ag8YlnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnV2cXQwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Earn a nomination versus a freebie entitlement because of color. Of course we know Al only goes after situations that have deep pockets.

Sal

Sal

Well, when you consider that Oscar voters are 94% white, 76% male, and an average age of 63, maybe Al has a point regarding lack of diversity.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Well, when you consider that Oscar voters are 94% white, 76% male, and an average age of 63, maybe Al has a point regarding lack of diversity.

Well I will say this. Even though we queers are only 5% of the population, and blacks are 13%, I would guess our minority is a lot better represented amongst Oscar voters. So I better stay out of this one. lol

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:Well, when you consider that Oscar voters are 94% white, 76% male, and an average age of 63, maybe Al has a point regarding lack of diversity.

So, are you saying black voters will vote for black actors and not the best actor?

2seaoat

"I don't see any reason why the academy should represent the entire American population. That's what the People's Choice Awards are for," said Pierson, who still serves on the board of governors. "We represent the professional filmmakers, and if that doesn't reflect the general population, so be it."

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:"I don't see any reason why the academy should represent the entire American population. That's what the People's Choice Awards are for," said Pierson, who still serves on the board of governors. "We represent the professional filmmakers, and if that doesn't reflect the general population, so be it."

Personally I am okay with this position, after all, it is in the end a totally subjective decision. In a perfect world color would not and should not be a determinant considered . . . . . our world has become so politically correct that it sometimes loses touch with the world of objectivity.

2seaoat

If the engineer associations give professional awards of achievement each year at a banquet, and after the awards are given to all white members for their achievements, and Al Sharpton or anybody else does not like this private associations award ceremony......they should become a member and stop voting on merits if they want racial based awards. This is not the government. This is an association of industry members. Sorry Al.....you are wrong on this one.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:If the engineer associations give professional awards of achievement each year at a banquet, and after the awards are given to all white members for their achievements, and Al Sharpton or anybody else does not like this private associations award ceremony......they should become a member and stop voting on merits if they want racial based awards.  This is not the government.   This is an association of industry members.  Sorry Al.....you are wrong on this one.

cheers

knothead wrote:
2seaoat wrote:If the engineer associations give professional awards of achievement each year at a banquet, and after the awards are given to all white members for their achievements, and Al Sharpton or anybody else does not like this private associations award ceremony......they should become a member and stop voting on merits if they want racial based awards.  This is not the government.   This is an association of industry members.  Sorry Al.....you are wrong on this one.

cheers

Lol... Seagoat could've said the opposite and you would've cheered that too.

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:

cheers

Lol... Seagoat could've said the opposite and you would've cheered that too.

Unlike you I mostly agree with Mr. Oats' positions but that is an ideological divide that I recognize and I assumed that you were aware of that reality, perhaps not.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:what says you?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/al-sharpton-calls-emergency-meeting-210136185.html;_ylt=A0LEVvTgQLlUaW0Ag8YlnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnV2cXQwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--

It is called extortion.  The weasel has found another victim.

I wonder if he'll demand a quota system for all the award shows?

Maybe we should demand the same thing in the NBA?

2seaoat

Maybe we should demand the same thing in the NBA?

You are having more and more difficulty understanding concepts. I thought it was your utter lack of economic training which was producing such consistent misconception of economic issues, but now you cannot even get why the Rev is wrong. The NBA has about the same percentage of ownership which is white and male as those folks who are part of the film maker association which awards the Oscars. This issue is not about employees of a league or craft being mostly one race, but about the ownership being a particular race which excludes recognition to those employees of color. So you think you are saying one thing with your comment, but what you are saying is......hey we need more white male ownership in the NBA. Yep, all you need to do to slow inflation is print some more money, and have Al ask the NBA for more white ownership. Brilliant.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

As a lifelong obsessed movie buff, may I introduce some evidence into this trial?

Exhibit 1: "Selma" has been nominated for Best Picture this year.

Exhibit 2: Last year's Oscars were dominated by "12 Years A Slave". It was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won six of those categories including Best Picture.

I don't mean this to be taking sides. Because this year for the first time ever, a movie about a queer is nominated for Best Picture. And so is the actor portraying him. I'll damn sure settle for that.

By the way, and seaoat might get a kick out of this, that same actor portraying the queer this year also gave a stellar performance in "12 Years A Slave".

2seaoat

Was he the Plantation owner?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

One of the worst most stereotyped movies ever made got this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853728/awards

Django Unchained (2012)
Awards
Showing all 63 wins and 95 nominations
Academy Awards, USA 2013
Won
Oscar Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Christoph Waltz

Best Writing, Original Screenplay
Quentin Tarantino
Nominated

Oscar Best Motion Picture of the Year
Stacey Sher
Reginald Hudlin
Pilar Savone

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Robert Richardson

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Wylie Stateman

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

For teo:  Since you liked "The Equalizer",  don't miss "Walk Behind The Tombstones" (at the Redbox now).  
For us vigilante movie fans,  it's maybe the best of the genre yet.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:One of the worst most stereotyped movies ever made got this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853728/awards

Django Unchained (2012)
Awards
Showing all 63 wins and 95 nominations
Academy Awards, USA 2013
Won
Oscar Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Christoph Waltz

Best Writing, Original Screenplay
Quentin Tarantino
Nominated

Oscar Best Motion Picture of the Year
Stacey Sher
Reginald Hudlin
Pilar Savone

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Robert Richardson

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Wylie Stateman

We watched it at home....I would have really been upset if I had paid to see that movie.

Bob wrote:For teo:  Since you liked "The Equalizer",  don't miss "Walk Behind The Tombstones" (at the Redbox now).  
For us vigilante movie fans,  it's maybe the best of the genre yet.  

Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Meeting To Address 'Appalling' All-White Oscar Nominees Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpq5qfx1v_CmqJP9sHY9oH_Xzuv4wghhFe4O7_v_E8RFT07ERw

Just went to this.

Well worth the money.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0EPt7-J1eY

Smile

2seaoat

The taken movies......a 60 something old man beating up thirty something bad guys......who do you think are going to this series of movies.....old scared babyboomers who really think sixty year old men beat thirty year olds up......but but but but.....he got special training and is a bad asz........the premise is so absurd that at times it becomes comedic. However, I liked the first two because.......well I am an over the hill babyboomer..........next we will see him having sex all night long with twenty year old women......yep Hollywood knows what they are doing. Hey Mrs. Seaoat, you ready for marathon sex tonight after I go kick five thirty year olds butts.....yea....hey do you know where my blood pressure medicine is?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

It happens

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Nothing new about old guy vs punk movies...

2seaoat wrote:The taken movies......a 60 something old man beating up thirty something bad guys......who do you think are going to this series of movies.....old scared babyboomers who really think sixty year old men beat thirty year olds up......but but but but.....he got special training and is a bad asz........the premise is so absurd that at times it becomes comedic.   However, I liked the first two because.......well I am an over the hill babyboomer..........next we will see him having sex all night long with twenty year old women......yep Hollywood knows what they are doing.  Hey Mrs. Seaoat, you ready for marathon sex tonight after I go kick five thirty year olds butts.....yea....hey do you know where my blood pressure medicine is?

Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Meeting To Address 'Appalling' All-White Oscar Nominees Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDMQ24Mg5iwiJJ93zaWNAFp6Vi6fuY0af65HqVF6WRgdknp554ww

So you don't think someone in their 50's and 60's can make a young man back down.

Shows what you know and what you're capable of.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X_Dd_6Czk

Smile

2seaoat

So you don't think someone in their 50's and 60's can make a young man back down.

Yep.....actually it does, you just go grab one of the Ohio State offensive lineman and beat them to a pulp.......yea lightening can strike my house and a 60 year old will back down a young man with about the same frequency......hoping for reality to be different and old to be relevant....sorry nature has a purpose and the truth is self evident without being concerned that you think reality somehow defines what I am capable of......I can still get out of my lazy boy, use the bathroom, and drive......but in between those things I can go beat up an in shape thirty year old whose job is to use their body to hurt other people.......I guess we have found the audience.

2seaoat wrote:So you don't think someone in their 50's and 60's can make a young man back down.

Yep.....actually it does, you just go grab one of the Ohio State offensive lineman and beat them to a pulp.......yea lightening can strike my house and a 60 year old will back down a young man with about the same frequency......hoping for reality to be different and old to be relevant....sorry nature has a purpose and the truth is self evident without being concerned that you think reality somehow defines what I am capable of......I can still get out of my lazy boy, use the bathroom, and drive......but in between those things I can go beat up an in shape thirty year old whose job is to use their body to hurt other people.......I guess we have found the audience.

Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Meeting To Address 'Appalling' All-White Oscar Nominees Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3z7gBQtH28kaZalEfBzpsmqpMBTQ_oE9KWOoWryNcPvvrNe8HNg

That's good. You keep on believing that.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOuUYcenW0

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum