Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can any of our forum GOP supporters state their view on net neutrality?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

WTH are you taking about? I have a pretty good idea and an understanding of how it will impact me and many other people.

You can call it a personal attack if you like. I call it a simple observation after reading his BS for years.

But, you have a good night space dog.

How will it impact you and many other people?

VectorMan

VectorMan

Astro wrote:WTH are you taking about? I have a pretty good idea and an understanding of how it will impact me and many other people.

You can call it a personal attack if you like. I call it a simple observation after reading his BS for years.

It is about money and control. See my previous post. If you don't get it, I can't help you beyond that.

But, please do explain YOUR understanding. I get the feeling that you also think you know what is best for everyone too. Enlighten us space dog.

VectorMan wrote:
Astro wrote:WTH are you taking about? I have a pretty good idea and an understanding of how it will impact me and many other people.

It is about money and control. See my previous post. If you don't get it, I can't help you beyond that.

But, please do explain YOUR understanding. I get the feeling that you also think you know what is best for everyone too. Enlighten us space dog.

You should pay attention. I already explained it in a way dumbed down post. It was people like you who only oppose it because....

Why do you oppose it?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Th Dude wrote:We've already had a thread on this that developed some of the dialogue. I'm not going to repeat myself each time.

Yes. You exhibited a faint grasp of what net neutrality is and then stopped replying once it was clarified.

Not that any more than that is ever expected of you around here.

boards of FL

boards of FL

QueenOfHearts wrote:I have read about net neutrality; however, I don't really understand it.  Probably because I don't really understand how the internet works.

Instead of calling me stupid, why don't you provide an explanation that would be easily understood?  Unless you don't really care about our opinion and actually just started this thread to call people stupid. Rolling Eyes

Today, when we pay an ISP for internet access, data is data.  If I'm reading ESPN or if I'm reading CNN, the underlying data that is being transferred is all the same in the eyes of the ISP.  When I pay AT&T for my internet subscription, I get access to the entire internet with no middle man overseeing what it is that I'm looking at and influencing any bias on me whatsoever.  This is net neutrality.

ISPs would like to see an end to net neutrality - most likely because consumers are beginning to drop cable and get all of their content form the internet.  In a world absent of net neutrality, an ISP doesn't grant me access to the entire internet with my monthly subscription.  Data is no longer just data.  An ISP could completely block access to all news content except their preferred news provider.  I could be made to buy a "sports package" if I want to read ESPN.  I could be made to buy a "movie package" if I want to watch Netflix.   If I'm a content provider, an ISP could extort me and make me pay them if I want my website to be available to the ISP's customers.  ISP's could restrict bandwidth and slow down access to certain sights that refuse to be extorted while boosting speeds for sites that are willing to pay up.

Think of all of the ways that our cable/satellite options completely suck, and then apply that to the internet.  That is essentially what the end of net neutrality would be like.

boards of FL

boards of FL

VectorMan wrote:From what I've read over the years, you can't really have a discussion with boards. He works with circular logic and is full of himself. No matter the subject/title of the thread. I think he'd make better use of his time posting images of the ribs that he cooked.

BTW. What is YOUR view boards? What does a progressive think is the best thing for ALL people that use the internet? Don't be shy little guy.

My view? Another grab for money and control by the libs/progressives so you'll only see/read/hear what they want you to. Remember...they think they know what is best for everyone. Regardless of what you think. They're better than you. And they don't want you to ever forget it.

We absolutely should have net neutrality.  If you like the internet the way it has existed over the last two decades, then you agree.  I think most people with a faint grasp of common sense want net neutrality.  However, if you don't like the idea of paying for the internet and getting all of the internet, if you want a middle man to tell you what parts of the internet you are allowed to access and what you can't, and what you have to pay extra for and what you don't...well, then you will be happy to see an end to net neutrality.

How on earth is advocating net neutrality a "grab for money or control" in any way?  Please elaborate on that one.  I need a laugh.

Oh, and by the way, 'circular logic'. You keep using that phrase. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

boards of FL wrote:
Th Dude wrote:We've already had a thread on this that developed some of the dialogue. I'm not going to repeat myself each time.

Yes. You exhibited a faint grasp of what net neutrality is and then stopped replying once it was clarified.

Is access to the internet a product in your mind... or are we talking another basic human right?

Usually if you want more of something or a better service you pay extra for it in the real world.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Th Dude wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Yes.  You exhibited a faint grasp of what net neutrality is and then stopped replying once it was clarified.

Is access to the internet a product in your mind... or are we talking another basic human right?

Usually if you want more of something or a better service you pay extra for it in the real world.

I already clarified that for you.  Go back and read the last thread.  I'm not going to repeat myself each time.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Question for PkrBum.  Let's say you're at the grocery store and you're about to buy some potatoes.  Should the grocery store be able to charge you more for those potatoes based upon what you're going to do with them?  That would be completely bullshit, right?  Because it's just potatoes.  What difference does it make?  Potatoes are potatoes, right?  

If you're going to make mashed potatoes: $(X)

If you're going to make potatoes au-grautin:  $(X+2)

If you're going to make french fries: $(X+3)

If you're going to make potato salad: $(X+4)

You are not allowed to make anything else with the potatoes.  Your only options are the above and the price varies...even though we're just giving you potatoes.

Should a 5lb bag cost the same as a 10lb bag?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Th Dude wrote:Should a 5lb bag cost the same as a 10lb bag?

Nope.  Currently (and with net neutrality or without), a 5mbps connection does not cost the same as a 10mbps connection.

Your analogy isn't applicable.  

If I download X amount of data, should it cost me more or less if it was music or a movie?  Should it cost me more or less if it was a book or an article on CNN?  Either way it was X amount of data.  It is X amount of 1s and 0s.  Should the ISP be able to say "Wait a second!  I'm going to charge you more for that X amount of data because it was (insert something)?" Should the ISP be able to look at the 1s and 0s and say "Hmm. That is CNN. I'm going to slow this down for this guy."?

Streaming video, music, games or even some web applications require more bandwidth and dedicated connect than email.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Th Dude wrote:Streaming video, music, games or even some web applications require more bandwidth and dedicated connect than email.

Should 1GB of data that is ultimately a video cost me more or less than 1GB of data that is email?    Either way, it is 1GB of data.  

Should an ISP be able to differentiate between this 1GB and that 1GB and then charge me more or less, or perhaps throttle access to this 1GB but not to that 1GB?

I say no.  Data is data.  This is how the internet has always worked.  

It is nothing short of amazing that someone can be convinced to fight against their own interests.  Imagine seeing a mob of people outside of AT&T demanding higher prices and shitty service.  Well...

It's, like, freedom, bra!!  It just is!!!!111

Sal

Sal

Can any of our forum GOP supporters state their view on net neutrality? - Page 2 Getabr11

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:

It is nothing short of amazing that someone can be convinced to fight against their own interests.  

And yet, the GOP has been successful at getting low IQ voters to do just that for decades.

2seaoat

Should 1GB of data that is ultimately a video cost me more or less than 1GB of data that is email? Either way, it is 1GB of data.

I have to disagree with what Boards has queried. First, I lost 20k in a new mesh technology which was going to allow 36gb of throughput. I am intimately aware of bandwidth restrictions and how they impact the network. First, an email bandwidth is static. It can be predicted and your network can be scaled. Second, the downloading of videos is a monster use which sadly does not allow capacity planning unless you maximize the network capacity to the maximum amount of use for full video downloads by every users qualified by some reduction based on historical use.

Bottom line is video downloading causes huge capacity in a network. This cost is passed to all users. To reduce the cost they must differentiate pricing by use, or design a dynamic network use meter with variable pricing. This would allow a user to download at any time, but the pricing would be variable based on current network capacity which a user would be given a warning before downloading what premium would be passed on to the network user, or you transfer the real costs to all users which means folks who are only using email are paying the network capacity premium caused by those downloading. I believe in net neutrality, but I believe in variable pricing based on dynamic capacity.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Bottom line is video downloading causes huge capacity in a network.  This cost is passed to all users.   To reduce the cost they must differentiate pricing by use, or design a dynamic network use meter with variable pricing.  This would allow a user to download at any time, but the pricing would be variable based on current network capacity which a user would be given a warning before downloading what premium would be passed on to the network user, or you transfer the real costs to all users which means folks who are only using email are paying the network capacity premium caused by those downloading.  I believe in net neutrality, but I believe in variable pricing based on dynamic capacity.

I have no problem with variable prices for things like speed or even perhaps volume of usage if particular users are excessive (or, as you mentioned, during particular peak hours), but by no means should ISPs begin to get involved in the pricing or control of content that they have no hand in producing.   That is so far beyond bullshit that it is laughable.  

If there is a shortage on potatoes, I have no problem paying a higher price during the shortage as I understand supply/demand.  Though if I purchase those potatoes and then turn them into a product that I sell to some other customer, I shouldn't then be on the hook to give the grocery store any more money from that sale because they had no hand in the variable costs involved in converting the potato to the finished product.  ISPs have no variable costs involved in producing web content, they merely deliver it.  Therefore neither I nor anyone else should pay any fee to ISPs for a "sports package", "news package", or "movie package";  nor should content producers be extorted for as much.   And this is the case regardless of how taxing the consumption of "sports", "news", or "movies" is to a network, as the end users are already paying premium prices to access higher speeds and in some cases, greater volume.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

boards of FL wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:I have read about net neutrality; however, I don't really understand it.  Probably because I don't really understand how the internet works.

Instead of calling me stupid, why don't you provide an explanation that would be easily understood?  Unless you don't really care about our opinion and actually just started this thread to call people stupid. Rolling Eyes

Today, when we pay an ISP for internet access, data is data.  If I'm reading ESPN or if I'm reading CNN, the underlying data that is being transferred is all the same in the eyes of the ISP.  When I pay AT&T for my internet subscription, I get access to the entire internet with no middle man overseeing what it is that I'm looking at and influencing any bias on me whatsoever.  This is net neutrality.

ISPs would like to see an end to net neutrality - most likely because consumers are beginning to drop cable and get all of their content form the internet.  In a world absent of net neutrality, an ISP doesn't grant me access to the entire internet with my monthly subscription.  Data is no longer just data.  An ISP could completely block access to all news content except their preferred news provider.  I could be made to buy a "sports package" if I want to read ESPN.  I could be made to buy a "movie package" if I want to watch Netflix.   If I'm a content provider, an ISP could extort me and make me pay them if I want my website to be available to the ISP's customers.  ISP's could restrict bandwidth and slow down access to certain sights that refuse to be extorted while boosting speeds for sites that are willing to pay up.

Think of all of the ways that our cable/satellite options completely suck, and then apply that to the internet.  That is essentially what the end of net neutrality would be like.

Thank you for this explanation. If what you are saying is correct, and I have no reason to doubt that it is, I would be against ending net neutrality.

2seaoat

Net neutrality puts fear in tyrants.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum